Malcolm Carter

Automate or Reduce Impound Release Time

I get that it's nice to have some additional roleplay when your car has been impounded and you need a cop to release it for you, but it is really inconsistent in the time it takes for cops to respond. It's clearly their lowest priority and I have been waiting ages for someone to come and release my car. It's not exactly a very good experience waiting around for half an hour with nothing to do while cops ignore your request because they have more interesting things they could be doing. Can't it just be automated like paying a ticket at the police desk? Just seems like an unnecessary feature that has made the game more boring and with no benefit other than allowing cops to punish players with impounded vehicles even more by making them wait.

Edited by Malcolm Carter
  • Upvote 2

I'm not saying that they should prioritise it, it's obvious they have more important things to be doing so why give them the job at all. 

Car impounding is so inconsistent anyway, you could get your car impounded for it being the getaway vehicle in a murder case or for outstaying your parking ticket by a couple of minutes and you end up paying the same fine, it's ridiculous.

So don't blame me for getting my car impounded to begin with; it seems like you think I am personally at fault as a player, rather than my character (who is a criminal). It's legitimate to raise quality of life issues whatever side of the law your character is on.

40 minutes ago, Malcolm Carter said:

I'm not saying that they should prioritise it, it's obvious they have more important things to be doing so why give them the job at all. 

Car impounding is so inconsistent anyway, you could get your car impounded for it being the getaway vehicle in a murder case or for outstaying your parking ticket by a couple of minutes and you end up paying the same fine, it's ridiculous.

So don't blame me for getting my car impounded to begin with; it seems like you think I am personally at fault as a player, rather than my character (who is a criminal). It's legitimate to raise quality of life issues whatever side of the law your character is on.

Nah i was saying you personally, I was meaning your character, I do see what you mean with being a crim and theirs alot of ways for you to get impounded but i think it should stay with the pd so they can sort it 

I'm actually the cop that helped you prior to this. We have a lot of calls to respond to, and with the current RP standard of the server, everyone who isnt a cop or other government employee is a criminal. With this leads to a lot of unnecessary and non-rp shootouts, and when officers die, 9/10 times they get off duty. If you want faster response times and RP to go along with it, Criminal RP as a whole needs to improve. I do agree with the minimum officer statement, however. If there are less than three officers on duty, I feel it is acceptable to have an automated system.

• Upvote 1

Impound is a rather fun situation because if we make it super easy to get your vehicles out of impound, there's really not a point to impounding them in the first place.  It's a major pain in the ass, speaking as one of the officers that actually does it.  Know how many cars/how long it takes me on average a night if I decide to actually impound vehicles?  My record is 21 vehicles straight.  Took me an hour and a half+ of mindless driving back and forth for a grand total of $0 and 0 enjoyment, but I do it anyway.  I usually impound vehicles for stupid things like having unpaid citations on your vehicle on top of being illegally parked, being parked (locked) in the middle of an intersection for 4+ hours, or abandoned in an NCZ without parking pay so nobody can steal it.  I also usually impound the same peoples vehicles.

Don't want your own car impounded but want to commit a crime?  Steal a vehicle.  Keep getting your car impounded for crowding NCZ parking spots without paying for parking?  Park somewhere else or pay for a ticket.  We're very lenient towards responding to impound, ignoring things like the 3+ 911 calls I've personally gotten from someone in the span of 20 minutes while all officers were occupied in a situation.  Hell, even one 911 call is a misdemeanor you can be arrested for.  We know it sucks for you, but it also sucks for us.  Nobody cares for their cars enough, really.  Just imagine how much less they would care for them if it was beyond easy to get them out.  I've had my vehicles impounded on an alt and look at it much like going to the DMV.  I'm going to be there for a while and it sucks, but if I want to drive I need to put up with it.

+1.
For what it's worth I like the impound idea being a more personal one, in other words having a cop come down and I also agree with the sentiment that you should've been more careful with the car if you didn't want it over at the impound lot.

But the reality here is that in the mornings it's a nightmare to get anything out and I on an alt myself have waited 45 mins for a cop to show up, then take me to jail for 10 mins for unpaid tickets. (LOL :D) Only to come back and wait another 30 minutes.. Then that cop got a 911 call and left in the middle of the process and had to wait another 20 minutes. I obviously understand PD have a priority they need to follow but it's a little punishing on an OOC level having to wait that long. No wonder why so many people are calling 911 at the impound. 😛

Agreed with the statements above, creating an automated system based on PD online similar to what store-robberies has. Where by less than 3 cops online; automated system.

• Upvote 1

Maybe make it so police has a system simmilar to DCC does, if someone types a command to call the PD , instead of a report they get a "call" from the imployed person on the impound and they can confirm it so the person can claim it automaticly after checking if they got a warrant out or unpaid tickets , or decide not to if they indeed do have warrants and then make that person wait and risk getting caught for something he has commited ( Basicly make a command let's say /impoundlist where they can check all the requests on the impound with the name of the person who made the call and a certain ID on the list let's say it's 1 , so now a police officer types a different command for example /impd 1 , and automaticly releases the vehicle and takes the money of the person's bank account , and it simulates PD officer giving a call to the person working at the impound lot and approving the immediate release of the vehicle) . That way people who aren't on a run don't have to wait and PD doesnt have to stop what they are doing just to come and do something that lasts 30seconds more or less. 

Edited by Gangula
Adding something

Now, as much as I hate waiting for a cruiser to pull up to the impound lot and give me back my car. I still think that automating the Impound Lot will not be a good idea. 
IRL, the process of releasing your car out of police impound takes time and effort. You have to prove that u own the car, will not repeat the action that resulted into the car being impounded, have valid licenses and etc. I know that this just cannot be the case in ECRP. But I still believe that the little we have of that should stay, not only does this add more RP in the way of talking with cops, I also think that it wouldn't make sense both IRL and in a Roleplay Server to come up to the police impound and simply release your vehicle in a matter of minutes. Of course that this process can't be longer than an hour (or any amount of time, this is just an example) as it will waste alot of time that can be spent on roleplay and etc. 

For me this is a -1. I do hate waiting for an officer to come and release my vehicle so I can drive around in it. However I think that you can go and do certain actions to lower the time u wait for a cop to arrive. For example, I usually go to PD first and ask them if any cops is free to help me in the impound lot. It is a pain in the ass to wait for a cop. But by no means should it be a process which takes a few minutes, both IRL and IC this makes sense, as from the first place u should try and avoid your vehicle being impounded.

4 hours ago, HaminLord said:

Now, as much as I hate waiting for a cruiser to pull up to the impound lot and give me back my car. I still think that automating the Impound Lot will not be a good idea. 
IRL, the process of releasing your car out of police impound takes time and effort. You have to prove that u own the car, will not repeat the action that resulted into the car being impounded, have valid licenses and etc. I know that this just cannot be the case in ECRP. But I still believe that the little we have of that should stay, not only does this add more RP in the way of talking with cops, I also think that it wouldn't make sense both IRL and in a Roleplay Server to come up to the police impound and simply release your vehicle in a matter of minutes. Of course that this process can't be longer than an hour (or any amount of time, this is just an example) as it will waste alot of time that can be spent on roleplay and etc. 

For me this is a -1. I do hate waiting for an officer to come and release my vehicle so I can drive around in it. However I think that you can go and do certain actions to lower the time u wait for a cop to arrive. For example, I usually go to PD first and ask them if any cops is free to help me in the impound lot. It is a pain in the ass to wait for a cop. But by no means should it be a process which takes a few minutes, both IRL and IC this makes sense, as from the first place u should try and avoid your vehicle being impounded.

Problem is , most of the times guys in pd would rather chat between each other or drive around instead of going there , only a handfull of members of PD actually devote time to impound , others don't really care about it , personally i've spent around 5h irl hours on 2 impounded vehicles in this week , and both times when I went to station there were around 4-6 cops depending on the time I came there just chatting and joking around.. So if this system would stay then , police should respond and take impound more seriously , even now you don't have that RP that you are talking about cause all of them hate going there , so when they do they just ask you for your license and release it .

-1 As much as I hate waiting at the impound I believe this shouldn't be put in place. Getting a car out off impound should not be instant and it makes sense for cops not to show up fast. Another thing is I see two guys bleeting all the time asking cops to come to impound and this is at least 2-3 times everyday. If your car keeps getting impounded, you are either parking it where it shouldn't be or just a bad criminal and getting caught with everything you do. Personally on my main character I've had a car impounded once and that was after a 30 minute car chase. It is understandable that my car would get impounded. You just gotta pay for parking or not be getting caught by the cops 24/7

I like the thought behind it, with limited manpower, so many calls all the time, busy cops, it's understandable. I really like the routine you have to go through though at impound and enjoy the RP. I think we could better communicate in some way that the impound lot is being manned for a time, get the cars while you can, have some open hours. I would rather hang out at the impound lot as a Cadet and Bleet that the lot is being manned, then stand behind the desk at the station. Bring a cruiser and you have your own little PD station in the lot.

I stand neutral to this situation because I don't necessarily care if I need someone or not to release it. I've gotten my car impounded 2 or 3 times this past week and I've managed to find an officer there or found one in the city and asked him to follow me to the impound.

If you ask them, unless they are busy with something, they will assist you.

I would like to simply go unimpound it, but then it would be the same as Mors.

Maybe it is reasonable to have a slighter bigger punishment to getting your car impounded as someone took the time to roleplay towing it for whatever RP reason.

Simply avoid getting it impounded and that is very do-able if you think about it before you leave your car somewhere, same as you would in real life. 

I truly think police should decide whether or not they want to keep the task or not as it may seem to be more of a pain in the ass to them as they are the ones who have to go out of their way to release cars all day long. We criminals/civilians on the other hand have ways to avoid it.

Impound allows us to impound vehicles of wanted criminals. The conditions around your car being impounded is very clear, it will be impounded upon being arrested or illegally parked.

So, don't illegally park your car or get arrested while with your car. You should be making RP attempts as a criminal to avoid the police and slip by their methods of capturing you.

1 hour ago, Aldari_Tagril said:

Impound allows us to impound vehicles of wanted criminals. The conditions around your car being impounded is very clear, it will be impounded upon being arrested or illegally parked.

So, don't illegally park your car or get arrested while with your car. You should be making RP attempts as a criminal to avoid the police and slip by their methods of capturing you.

I'm not saying don't impound vehicles, I'm saying what is the value in having players waiting around for ages not being able to do anything? It's quality of life, people have limited time to play this game, what's the point wasting it waiting around/not roleplaying?

Big +1

As a cop theres nothing more annoying than impound calls when you've got priority calls.

In real life impound lots are manned so it makes sense to be automated.

The automatic check should have the following:

Check 1) Not wanted. Automated warning alerts PD if a wanted person attempts to release their car.

Check 2) Tickets must be paid

As for the drivers licence that shouldn't need checking by a script as someone may release their car to have their friend drive it

Real simple, the lack of interest from cops to go to the impound to let cars out is having a negative impact on people's roleplay.

Police officers do not get any reward whatsoever for going to impound, so most don't even bother.  I know not everything has to be the same as real life, but irl there are always staff at police impounds and it's rather annoying to stand around for real life hours waiting for an officer to come.

Even if you go to PD usually they make an excuse as to why they need to suddenly leave or do something else.

I'm not bashing the cops or anything - but if there was a percentage of a fine or something that they would receive to at least give them more reasons to actually do this, it would help a lot.  Right now cops just don't really bother.

It doesn't need to be in the form of payment, just some way to improve things.  This could include letting cadets handle impounds, having shifts where someone is posted there and so on.

If there are calls about vehicle pursuits, armed robberies and so on, most officers will go to those calls. The impound lot is relatively low priority because it's not a matter of life and death.

I don't believe monetary recompense should be used to artificially boost the priority of a less important task.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.