HaminLord

Improving prison RP

Right, it's no lie that at as of now prison RP is perhaps the most boring shit there is to do on the server, with all due respect, other than attempting a breakout or just AFKing there's not much to do. Sure, mining is an option, but is it really worth to constantly run back and forth from the mining area, ore drop-off point, and finally the stamp store inside the prison block for at least 15 minutes just to lower your sentence by a few minutes at max? There's of course always the argument of "People can RP whatever way they want, but they must be willing to start it and try something different", something that we all know is extremely hard to do as there is, at the end of the day, not much enjoyment from typing /me's for a total of 2+ hours.

There's a few issues currently with prison as a whole in my opinion, and as someone who's been in it multiple times on my criminal character and have been on the other side as a DOC guard and PD officer for round 9-10 months I think there's alot of room for improvement and potential. 

• Let me start with the obvious, stamps seem to be completely useless, as in there is no reward in trying to grind for more and more stamps as two things can happen, either you crash and fall through the interior which usually ends with you dying and losing all of the stamps you've had on your person, or you trade them in for a minute reduction towards your prison time. I personally believe that if stamps are made to be more important, as in them reducing prison times by more than just a few seconds per 100 stamps, as currently they seem to be a waste of everyone's time.
  • Another change which is related to the stamps, is the ability for DOC members (Or any LEOs if there are no DOC members on-duty) to give inmates a certain amount of stamps IC'ly, they could be rewarded for a plethora of reasons, if there are fears of one being OOC'ly corrupt and just giving his friends as much stamps as he can, time cooldowns or OOC script limitations on some ranks can be applied to ensure all players are treated fairly based on their IC actions alone. This will also have the ability to pathe the way to more RP interactions between inmates and LEOs, allowing DOC to for example, conduct a fitness class if there are multiple people on-duty and in prison, with them rewarding the co-operative inmates with additional stamps and etcetera. If that is not possible, a simple time reduction can also be given out for good behavior and etcetera as suggested in the past.
  • Another idea which I've thought of, is to have a /dropbody area in DOC as well, with the script not allowing people who are serving prison time to leave the vicinity of Bolingbroke and the only medical assistance they receive is in the form of RP, not in the form of script assistance just as /stabilize and whatnot. This can easily be solved with a /dropbody location within DOC's medbay which RPly is fully capable of assisting injured inmates and whatnot, of course that MD is always able to also join the RP to make it more realistic and etcetera.
  • Furthermore, there's the poker table, which personally, I've never seen get used. If I'm not mistaken, you require a minimum of 1500 stamps to join in to play and requires you to pay a minimum of 500 stamps every hand, using the same prices as the poker table in Tequila, and has almost no point as said above, stamps are literally useless and serve no purpose with how inefficient they are script-wise for players, barely able to reduce their prison time by an amount which really matters. I personally believe it can be changed to be free of charge, with the currency needed being one based on time, e.g you receive 500 "Prison chips" every 25 minutes or so, then, you could play without receiving any rewards from winning a hand, just allowing you to help time pass by and not get bored fully.
  • Finally, there's a suggestion which I've brought up in the past, the suggestion being for a script that'll allow something such as an Intake & Release (The term given to the storage room and the entire procedure that one's belongings go through once he is brought into arrest and custody, with their eventual return to their owner upon his release), albeit nothing has happened with it, I thought it's worth mentioning here as it definitely relates to this subject heavily. You can find it here if you wish to further read on it.

If you've any other suggestions or ideas, feel free to share them below, thanks in advance for any support.

• Like 17
  • Upvote 10

+1 on all of it. 

As a DOC guard, we do actually want inmates to be able to have fun, but 4 hostage situations in 2 hours is just too much to some. Adding more use for the stamps and reducing the cost of poker would hopefully increase the friendly interaction within the prison and reduce fighting and hostage situations.

• Like 3

+1 really good thread. 

I'd personally love to see the poker entry fee powered to 100 stamps, which is a 5th of what you get on arrival. This means you wouldn't be out after a single round. Perhaps the blind can be made to 20 stamps to match this reduction. 

Currently most people like getting locked in cells and sit there until time is up. If prison poker and the other mentioned topics were adjusted, it would definitely provide a good incentive to interact with others. 

Would also provide for some further criminal prison rp, robbing the person who just cleaned you at poker etc. 

Edited by CallumMontie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

+1 As a player who spends most of their time in Bolingbroke, I'm often given sentence reductions through the MDC for the creative RP ideas that I do to attempt a lower sentence because I know how painful it is to sit out a 5hour+ sentence, where I'm constantly DMed by other players who punch me for no reason other than "Ey, girl gimmie yo stamps!" 

I honestly think the whole mining for stamps is pointless and the only reason I do so, is if I start to need food or water because the reduction time that stamps give is just not worth the time of mining. 

There is a lot of potential for RP in the prison other than just "Give me your stamps". 

There is a laundry room where there is potential to earn stamps that way too like a scripted job.

I think what would be really interesting is if DOC guards had more of a play in the RP, rather then just waiting outside or just walking across the catwalk once or twice. If DOC had a routine to do. E.G.: At certain times, they round up the prisoners confine people to the cells, do a routine cell search and prisoner search, have designated "yard times", where they enforce the prisoners to mingle outside. There are plenty of things that could be interesting and fun RP.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 6:55 AM, Z0thian said:

+1 As a player who spends most of their time in Bolingbroke, I'm often given sentence reductions through the MDC for the creative RP ideas that I do to attempt a lower sentence because I know how painful it is to sit out a 5hour+ sentence, where I'm constantly DMed by other players who punch me for no reason other than "Ey, girl gimmie yo stamps!" 

I honestly think the whole mining for stamps is pointless and the only reason I do so, is if I start to need food or water because the reduction time that stamps give is just not worth the time of mining. 

There is a lot of potential for RP in the prison other than just "Give me your stamps". 

There is a laundry room where there is potential to earn stamps that way too like a scripted job.

I think what would be really interesting is if DOC guards had more of a play in the RP, rather then just waiting outside or just walking across the catwalk once or twice. If DOC had a routine to do. E.G.: At certain times, they round up the prisoners confine people to the cells, do a routine cell search and prisoner search, have designated "yard times", where they enforce the prisoners to mingle outside. There are plenty of things that could be interesting and fun RP.

Quite honestly, we do things like this every once in a while. The issue is more that it's generally only for a few people, since literally no one fears a taser. Bringing a gun in the cell blocks would cause Mr. John Wick Simulator #85 to force a hostage situation, tell us to give him the guns (because we have to fear RP him holding another inmate hostage), then he attempts to escape, and an admin tells him it wasn't approved and we all have to RP that the last hour and a half was a complete blur.

I would absolutely love to round up people and do dinner with them and stuff like that, but with the mentality of "I'm gonna be a stone cold criminal", it's very hard to get 93% of prisoners to even try to RP something fun with everyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

+1

Everything mentioned here was brought up to the Devs when I got warden (stamps/dropbody/ reducesentence/extendsentence etc)). We really want the pokertable buy in and bids to be lowered so that way everyone can actually utilize it, and also a pick ax when you spawn so that way you don't have to use ALL of your stamps to buy it. Stamps do turn into money so 1 stamp is 1 dollar once you leave DOC which is why I doubt we'll be able to hand out stamps, but having other ways to earn them would be amazing. We asked for there to be more mining spots etc, and other options as well. 

We want prison rp to be better, and for people not to be stuck doing nothing for hours. But big +1

Edited by kitkatkait
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.