Bala

Faction Run Turf System aka #HOODS

I know there has been a few turf map suggestions in the past, but I wanted to share my own ideas on the thread and see how people felt about it.

Why do we need HOODS?
I think some of the more negative behaviours that come from our criminals, stem simply from a lack of things to do and also, from having the structure. I feel that we've created an environment where gangs do rule the server but at the same time, there isn't enough there script wise at present to keep them switched on. 'Turfs' is a physical embodiment and reward for dominance in San Andreas.

What does it achieve?
Well, for one, it puts the illegal activities in the server in the hands of the gangs, it's under their control and they can organise it as they wish. They're fully responsible for it's operation and security and also, whether it sees profit. I feel like this would be a more practical successor to the 'Non-Aggression Tax' that smaller factions have to pay Triads and Zetas right now. You'd be paying them to use their facilities, you could risk it by using them without paying but I don't think that would go well.

The other thing I feel it achieves

The Basic Idea

There are a lot of Neighbourhoods in Los Santos and we'd put the ones where gang activity makes role-play sense up for capture by the official illegal factions. 

• The chop shops, the vehicle scrapyard, the drug labs, drug drop-offs and the weapon order pickup locations would no longer be static, server run locations.
  • The neighbourhoods would be in both Los Santos and Blaine County.
    They would be gang created, gang funded and gang ran operations.
  • Each neighbourhood would have a different value to it, depending on what sort of location it was i.e. housing areas wouldn't support chop shops but industrial areas would, you'd probably have to suspend a little disbelief to make it more of a game but still. Example. Chamberlain Hills would probably support a drug lab as it has a lot of project housing, but maybe not a chop shop. 
  • Controlling a neighbourhood would allow you for a fixed price to set up a chop-shop, a drug lab, a scrapyard, a black-market (guns) depending on if the area supported it and the gang would then be tasked with controlling that location themselves. 
  • There would also be a limit on the amount of drug labs/chop shops/black markets in the city. to encourage gang interaction but also, to give enough freedom where factions could compete with one another on a business level. Example. Triads set up a chop-shop in their hood and Wanted set up a chop shop in their hood, Zetas wouldn't be able to set up a chop-shop in their hood as we'd already have two. They'd have to use one of the chop shops. In terms of enforcement of using, that would be ICly run, so if you had to pay tax to use a chop, that's up to the gang controlling it.

How to Takeover

• All turfs would start neutral and to take-over a turf, there would be a certain capture point within that location, where you could /taketurf
  • The more people from your faction that /taketurf on that location, the quicker it is captured. Just as an example, if it's thirty minutes to capture but you /taketurf with ten people, that's three minutes to capture a turf.
  • Like the chop shop, if you leave the capture area for whatever reason, your contribution to the take-over is paused.
  • Once a captured neighbourhood is 50% captured by another faction, it becomes neutral. It doesn't belong to someone until they have 100% ownership.
  • Each neighbourhood would only belong to one faction at a time but the amount they have captured would save. Example. If Zetas tried to capture a Wanted turf but gave up after like 65%, the turf would be 65% Zeta but 35% Wanted. Capturing it later would be quicker for Zetas than Wanted.

Assets

• There would be a few static locations within each neighbourhood to place the assets (drug labs/chop shops etc..) - This would just be practical from a script standpoint. Assume there is 12 of the neighbourhoods were chop shops are viable, you'd go from the current amount of 7 chop shop locations to 24 potential chop shop locations.
  • The rank needed to deploy assets in your faction controlled neighbourhood would be a faction leader decision.
  • Setting up assets and breaking them down could be done by the controlling faction, but would take time to do so.
  • Rival Illegal factions and Law Enforcement would be able to use script methods to destroy assets if they were discovered. 
  • Taking over a neighbourhood with an asset in place will switch asset ownership to you, i.e. Wanted take over a neighbourhood where the Triads have a drug lab, it becomes their lab.
    The exception to this would be if Wanted already had a drug lab, in which case the newly tookover neighbourhood's deployed asset would be destroyed.
  • There would be a fixed cost for each asset and buying the asset would be RPly.. buying the items for a drug lab, the mechanic staff for a chop shop, the storage unit for a black market etc..

Asset Limits

• 2x Chop Shops
  • 2x Drug Labs
  • 1x Drug Buyer Location
  • 1x Scrapyard
  • 2x Black Market [Illegal Gun Pickup]

New! Self Storage

• Self Storage would basically be like a small rental storage unit where you could store your most precious items, we're talking like glovebox size storage.
    You would rent a storage unit for a fee and you'd receive a PIN code and you'd use that to access that inventory using /mystorage [pin]
  • If someone knows your pin, they can access your storage using /storage [id] [PIN]
  • Law Enforcement would be able to raid the inventory if they had a warrant (same as houses right now)
  • The idea behind this and the next part is that all in-game player items in the world should be steal able.
  • The reason why self-storage might be important is because of the next part.

New! House Robbery 

• In short, add the ability to break into someone's house with a crowbar.
  • If you were inside their house, you could find their house inventory and steal their personal belongings for yourself.
  • In addition, as a side job of sorts, you could /stealitems inside the residence if you didn't have keys for it and you'd receive "Stolen Goods" which would be RPly general items from the residence.
  • It would take longer to break into a more expensive house than a cheaper house.
  • You could then take the "Stolen Goods" to the Black Market and sell it off for cash. The amount you recieve would also depend on the classification of the house you robbed the item from.
  • The "Stolen Goods" inventory item would be identifiable if you were caught by Law Enforcement, so they'd know where it was stolen it from.
  • Houses could be robbed every three OOC days and the doors would remain broken for one OOC day unless they are locked by someone with a house key before then.
  • If you buy a house alarm for your house, you will be notified that your house is being broken into if you are online. If you are offline, you will receive a notification when you log in that your house was robbed.
  • There is also a very small possibility if you have an house alarm installed that the local Law Enforcement (SD for Blaine, PD for Los Santos) will be alerted that someone is breaking in.

Neighbourhoods

Both Blaine County and Los Santos neighbourhoods would have access to all the assets, but LS would have more drug locations where as Blaine County would have more gun locations since they fit both areas.

- Blaine County. 

• Stab City
  • Grapeseed
  • Sandy Shores
  • Harmony
  • El Gordo Lighthouse
  • Chumash

- Los Santos 

• Del Perro
  • Vespucci
  • Vespucci Canals
  • Little Seoul
  • Downtown Vinewood
  • Hawick
  • Alta
  • Strawberry
  • Chamberlain Hills
  • Davis
  • Rancho
  • Cypress Flats
  • Murrieta Heights
  • Terminal
  • La Mesa
  • La Puerta

I don't think that the information should display on the map, but this is like a visual of how the ideal might look.

ba497d64e53b9fd84663714ba2d87a3b.pngb010b2339852e1a83508d26b4d88cef6.jpg

Edited by GOAT
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 2

I like a lot of these suggestions and I think you put forward a very interesting idea. However, I think it's crucial that chopshop and druglab locations are not static, even if there are a load of locations for them. People will always eventually discover these static locations and this will cause the very NonRP we're trying to get rid off in the current druglab system. IE: A civilian could just randomly call police at these druglab locations, police could patrol these locations, etc. I think to make a system like this work you'd have to allow people to find their own locations to hide druglabs and chopshops, preferrably inside enterable buildings. This way the buildings can be locked and guarded so no random people can just enter but at the same time their location can be discovered through thorough detective work via snitches or following gang members that aren't being careful enough. IMO that makes for a much more fair and realistic system. 

I like all the other suggestions though, great post!

Edited by Rubsmeister
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I agree with most of the ideas apart from the house robbery.

There really aren't a lot of storage areas in the game right now, and allowing people to break into houses with crowbars would be too easy, unless the crowbars were like 100k each, and it had 95% chance to break, but even then it would feel gimmicky to lose all your stuff to something that happened when you were offline with no chance to counter it.

• Like 1

-1 For the additional chop shops. There should be competition at the chopshop and I feel adding two more of them would eliminate any competition whatsoever. People would find their one chopshop and if they see someone there they will go to another and chopping will become far to easy.

5 hours ago, Sineye said:

-1 For the additional chop shops. There should be competition at the chopshop and I feel adding two more of them would eliminate any competition whatsoever. People would find their one chopshop and if they see someone there they will go to another and chopping will become far to easy.

One chop does make it some what of a bottle neck in terms of police knowing the location. It's adding up to 2, its not adding two. If you are running one and your enemy is running the other, you can go and shut them down.

12 minutes ago, GOAT said:

One chop does make it some what of a bottle neck in terms of police knowing the location. It's adding up to 2, its not adding two. If you are running one and your enemy is running the other, you can go and shut them down.

Chop always moves around. If people are sloppy of course cops will find it. I just find competition would tremendously decrease as there is not a need to go to the same chop as someone else any longer and if someone gets sloppy and police find one location just go to the other. There should be competition and consequences and I feel it is well balanced now.

5 hours ago, Sineye said:

Chop always moves around. If people are sloppy of course cops will find it. I just find competition would tremendously decrease as there is not a need to go to the same chop as someone else any longer and if someone gets sloppy and police find one location just go to the other. There should be competition and consequences and I feel it is well balanced now.

Chop always moves around, between the same static positions. This is still technically static positions but there are a lot more of them.

You don't need to go to the same chop anymore but if you are using one gangs chop and another gang has a chop too, they're going to want to do something about it because you're messing with their money.

There's literally conflicts in the server about that kind of thing right now lol.

-1 in general to the scripted neighborhoods system.

Roleplaying that your gang/crew owns that neighborhood is enough in my opinion. An example of a gang that does this well in my opinion is WCA who controls Del Perro and even without scripts I can see them hanging around when I pass by.

What I would hate to see from these kinds of "capture points" is that it starts to feel like you're no longer roleplaying but playing a Call of Duty match. Things what would come from this are "bro lets go to Strawberry to capture it." Capturing a neighborhood would seem like a short term goal to people and once they log off some other gang would've already claimed it.

Realistically, when a gang owns a hood they won't be recaptured by some other gang at night when they go to bed. I believe that this kind of system would encourage metagaming as you don't have to actually look for gang members to know of their neighborhood. How I found out about Del Perro being WCAs hood was completely unintentional, which is how it should be. But if I can just see on the map then there would'nt be any excitement on moments like those.

Another point I want to mention, is the limit on how many chops or labs are able to be put up with your dynamic locations idea. It wouldn't be realistic that just because 2 gangs far away from where you are set up some labs you're not allowed to. But I do agree to some extent that the druglabs should not be static.

I prefer the way gangs control territories as they do now. What we need is higher quality gang roleplay in RPing a hood they own.

Edited by kenichis
  • Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.