Jawn

Racism

I understand Racism is allowed in the server, but it’s actually absurd the amount of white people in the server using the N word. I was just recently in jail a white man was calling me a nigger constantly that’s all he said. Could we possibly tweak the rules on the N word.

• Upvote 2

Simplest way to go about this problem is to accept it and not let it affect you on a OOC level. By this logic, other types of racism would have to be prohibited from the server, not just the N word. Next we would have to disallow sexism or other type of sensitive subjects. This is RP and a lot of people will get insulted by others in many ways. While I personally do not insult people in any way, it's something that happens IRL and I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed IC. 

If you feel the insults are OOC driven, then that's a different issue.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think when it comes down to it, when it's not actually a part of the role-play and it's just something that someone is saying to troll and/or be offensive, it should be against the server rules.

Think the best way to approach a topic like this is just simply to give the player the right to say no to someone using it. Approach it like ERP, you have to get someone's consent. In the case of IC racism or homophobia or anything like that, assume it's fine but if someone objects OOC to it, you gotta stop that part of the RP.

It's not essential to anyone's role-play to use them kind of phrases anyway. Maybe that's a little snowflakey but end of the day if you are making someone uncomfortable OOC because that stuff, it's no bueno.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jawn said:

I understand Racism is allowed in the server, but it’s actually absurd the amount of white people in the server using the N word. I was just recently in jail a white man was calling me a nigger constantly that’s all he said. Could we possibly tweak the rules on the N word.

aim a gun tell him to shut up lol, i bet he won't do it outside of jail. just keep it ic and contact a guard to deal with it icly so they move him to another cell or give him a longer sentence for disruptive actions.

+1 

I've addressed this issue in the past. Anyone who says ''just deal with it'' has either never experienced this or is in an extremely privileged position.

Silly me, I guess I should just get over it even though literally every country in the western world has hate speech laws...

If you want a financial reason to implement racism/sexism rules then just look at the amount of people who might not want to stream knowing what can happen and how complicit this community is with regards to racist slurs. At the end of the day implementing these rules will make some people happy, more likely to keep playing and to create content VS a few white bois that will be disappointed that they can't say nigger anymore. I wonder which one is the better choice 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Upvote 2

Equally, we could allocate a certain company to distribute nword passes. For example, in order to get a nword pass, you must go to DNP (Department of Nigga Pass), pass a test which asks you how you should deal with nwords publicly, and then be granted the nword pass. We should also make it so that cops can suspend your nword pass for no longer than 2 days.

(credits to @Tomvd682)

Edited by Arian
  • Like 12

ITT: sheltered white males who have never experienced any oppression saying you should just ignore it. People definitely use the cover of "RP" to say things to other people that would be totally unacceptable on an ooc level, it's actually pathetic. It's very similar to the issue that female players have raised previously about harassment. @GOAT's suggestion of requiring ooc consent is a good start I think 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Malcolm Carter said:

ITT: sheltered white males who have never experienced any oppression saying you should just ignore it. People definitely use the cover of "RP" to say things to other people that would be totally unacceptable on an ooc level, it's actually pathetic. It's very similar to the issue that female players have raised previously about harassment. @GOAT's suggestion of requiring ooc consent is a good start I think 

+1 to OOC consent for racist RP. (Excluding calling each other nigga) Consent for the victim, not all parties.

Edited by Xypint

Like I understand if there's a context behind it which actually supports the roleplay that is happening. Roleplay in GTA is supposed to portray a form of realism and while it may offend you, it does happen in real life. But people don't go around dropping the N-bomb continously on people for no reason. So for people who may do that, then I think it should be treated similar to DM. If you have no proper RP background to it, there is no context to it and it is executed poorly, then it should be punishable imo.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jawn said:

-1 All of the talk coming out of the characters, is exactly what it is...a character. Also...how do you know they are white OOCly... you could have someone who isnt white, playing a white racist character, and you wouldn't know the difference. And on that note, why not have it not allowed for IRL guys to play IC Girls? Why? Because it's only a character.

The #1 Rule for RP ANYWHERE is this:
"IC = IC and OOC = OOC"

People tend to blur the lines and think that if an IC girl likes them ICly, it also means that they like them oocly. Just like how if someone calls someone else a word ICly, they get offended OOCly. The take away from this is that this is a Game...and and RP server. Everyone is playing a character. It is important to separate IC and OOC at all times when playing. Even though I do not like the N-Word oocly, I do not get offended/triggered by it being said ICly, because it is their CHARACTER saying it through RP. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nubbsauce said:

-1 All of the talk coming out of the characters, is exactly what it is...a character. Also...how do you know they are white OOCly... you could have someone who isnt white, playing a white racist character, and you wouldn't know the difference. And on that note, why not have it not allowed for IRL guys to play IC Girls? Why? Because it's only a character.

The #1 Rule for RP ANYWHERE is this:
"IC = IC and OOC = OOC"

People tend to blur the lines and think that if an IC girl likes them ICly, it also means that they like them oocly. Just like how if someone calls someone else a word ICly, they get offended OOCly. The take away from this is that this is a Game...and and RP server. Everyone is playing a character. It is important to separate IC and OOC at all times when playing. Even though I do not like the N-Word oocly, I do not get offended/triggered by it being said ICly, because it is their CHARACTER saying it through RP. 

This is literally not true. Anyone who's done roleplay for a decent amount of time knows that IC=IC and OOC=OOC is a utopian dream.

People shouldn't be affected by stuff in character but sadly it happens all the time. To pretend that this issue is easily solved by "Just keep it IC 4Head" shows a lack of understanding about how roleplay communities work and more importantly how people work. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GWXCORE said:

We gonna call for OOC consent to be required for slurs against other races? A white person playing a black character using it with an A at the end? Sexist insults? Homophobic or transphobic insults? Who's feelings should we protect with OOC rules and who just has to "deal with it"

Yes to all of those. If people aren't capable of forgoing the use of racist, transphobic, homophobic and sexist slurs, substituting them for something better then that speaks to the quality of roleplay around the server. 

I believe that some might use these slurs to truly enrich their characters. However, this is a very very small minority of players, the other 95% to be edgy or just because they can with no roleplay reason behind it. 

So knowing this, the answer is pretty easy. Make these rules to accommodate people because the impact on the quality of roleplay will be non-existent. 

• PogU 1

1 hour ago, Kyle White Raven said:

This is literally not true. Anyone who's done roleplay for a decent amount of time knows that IC=IC and OOC=OOC is a utopian dream.

People shouldn't be affected by stuff in character but sadly it happens all the time. To pretend that this issue is easily solved by "Just keep it IC 4Head" shows a lack of understanding about how roleplay communities work and more importantly how people work. 

Let me rephrase.

Any Experienced Roleplayer knows that rule. Blending of the two causes SO many issues it's insane... Just know IC = IC and OOC = OOC 

21 minutes ago, GWXCORE said:

What about telling someone to kill themselves? Calling them a bitch or cunt or retard? How soft are these kid gloves we want to put on. Where is the line.

This is all about perspective. There is bound to be times where you get into an argument with another person or there is beef between you and another gang, in these cases I think it makes sense to have some hard words thrown at each other, tell someone to go fuck themselves, tell them to go kill themselves, etc... My argument is that racist slurs, transphobic and sexist slurs should probably be avoided given the polarisation of these terms and how people receive them. 

This isn't to say that calling someone a nigger is worse than telling them to kill themselves, but we perceive these two things differently. I would argue that in the realm of RP racial slurs are off limits and what you mentioned is more acceptable, even if they seem like contradictory positions.

Again, this is why virtually every RP server in ArmA, SAMP, GMOD and even GTA 5 has some sort of rule against racism and racial slurs.