Jawn

Racism

52 minutes ago, Nubbsauce said:

Let me rephrase.

Any Experienced Roleplayer knows that rule. Blending of the two causes SO many issues it's insane... Just know IC = IC and OOC = OOC 

I agree with you in theory, I think that we should be able to distinguish these, my argument is that it's just not the case, hardly ever to players leave all their OOC views and emotions out of IC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyle White Raven said:

I agree with you in theory, I think that we should be able to distinguish these, my argument is that it's just not the case, hardly ever to players leave all their OOC views and emotions out of IC.

Sounds like a personal problem for them. Regardless IC is IC and OOC is OOC. 

8 hours ago, Arian said:

Equally, we could allocate a certain company to distribute nword passes. For example, in order to get a nword pass, you must go to DNP (Department of Nigga Pass), pass a test which asks you how you should deal with nwords publicly, and then be granted the nword pass. We should also make it so that cops can suspend your nword pass for no longer than 2 days.

(credits to @Tomvd682)

Great idea! So creative of you and I would love to see this added to the game as soon as possible 

• Like 2
  • PogU 1

1 hour ago, Tezhl said:

Sounds like a personal problem for them. Regardless IC is IC and OOC is OOC. 

I mean when the problem is widespread to an entire game genre it becomes everyone's issue.

You can try and pretend that all players are able to separate IC from OOC, but that's not possible. The entire movie industry for example is based on the assumption that movies can make people feel happy, sad, angry, etc... People then take these emotions and reflect on them, affecting them in real life. Do you go up to someone and say ''Don't feel anything, it's just some actors saying some words''?

• Like 1

@Jawn an interesting suggestion to say the least, however if you look at rule 6. Advertising and Public Chat of the EclipseRP Server Rules 2019 it states the following:
    - Players may use offensive language in IC chat for roleplay but not excessively.

If for whatever reason you feel that if a player is using offensive language excessively, you may ask them to stop or lower the amount of offensive language. If they do not you may report them to server staff member and be ready to show video evidence if the interactions were using VOIP. If the excessively offensive language is via text chat, the evidence will be in the logs, all we would need is an ID and a UNIX stamp (i.e. screenshot).

Yeah unfortunately this is roleplay so they can say what they want. 

That being said, out of the 2 biggest gangs, 1 gang I've never heard say it, the other has many many many members who literally will just roll up to you and be like "nigga nigga, fight me, yo nigga fight me, fight me now nigga"

Honestly it's just very very poor roleplayer and we shouldn't see organized crime syndicates operating in this low RP manner, street gangs however should get away with saying it all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kyle White Raven said:

I mean when the problem is widespread to an entire game genre it becomes everyone's issue.

You can try and pretend that all players are able to separate IC from OOC, but that's not possible. The entire movie industry for example is based on the assumption that movies can make people feel happy, sad, angry, etc... People then take these emotions and reflect on them, affecting them in real life. Do you go up to someone and say ''Don't feel anything, it's just some actors saying some words''?

He shoots he scores. Well put mate. Nice 🙂

• Like 1

I like how the author of this thread asked if the rule about racism could be tweaked a little bit because a guy was just calling him n*gger without a context and roleplay. The impression I had is that the guy walked up to someone in prison and attempted to RP with him, and the guy only responded with "n*gger". Why has this thread turned into a social justice movement?

31 minutes ago, reidarG said:

I like how the author of this thread asked if the rule about racism could be tweaked a little bit because a guy was just calling him n*gger without a context and roleplay. The impression I had is that the guy walked up to someone in prison and attempted to RP with him, and the guy only responded with "n*gger". Why has this thread turned into a social justice movement?

Threads about this have been written in the past. 

The level of RP on this server from your average player is already subpar, I doubt taking away their ability to say ''nigger'' will impact them much. 

You want a good example of good RP without the use of racial terms then just look at NoPixel or FamilyRP, granted these are mainly played by streamers but it goes to show that you can get excellent quality RP without the racial slurs. 

As for the social justice meme, idk my dude if you want to reduce the entire argument into SJW shit then suit yourself, but maybe reflecting on what is being said is the more productive thing to do. 

Edited by Kyle White Raven
  • Like 1

We have this in the rules right now.

• Sexual, torture, or extremely gross roleplay is allowed only if all involved parties (participants and witnesses) have agreed to it in OOC text chat, prior to the actual roleplay being performed.

Does that limit roleplay? Yes I suppose that it does if all parties don't agree. But it also helps everyone feel more comfortable OOC doing IC actions.

We're all from different backgrounds on this server and as a result, we all have different attitudes towards topics like racism but I think with my suggestion, you can say it but if someone is offended by seeing that OOC then they should have the right to not have to sit there and listen to it, any more than they should have to take part in torture or sexual roleplay.

Using racist words over text and voip isn't necessary for a good roleplay scenario and unfortunately some of the knuckledraggers amongst us, use it to try and troll/upset people. So I'm gunna tag @FatherOsborn and @Lewis in this because I feel that the rules need to be amended to reflect this.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Varakai said:

@Jawn an interesting suggestion to say the least, however if you look at rule 6. Advertising and Public Chat of the EclipseRP Server Rules 2019 it states the following:
    - Players may use offensive language in IC chat for roleplay but not excessively.

If for whatever reason you feel that if a player is using offensive language excessively, you may ask them to stop or lower the amount of offensive language. If they do not you may report them to server staff member and be ready to show video evidence if the interactions were using VOIP. If the excessively offensive language is via text chat, the evidence will be in the logs, all we would need is an ID and a UNIX stamp (i.e. screenshot).

Well I was in jail there was a guy right next to the cell just saying “nigger” over and over. I asked in OOC If he could please stop he kept saying it. He was up very close to his mic to so.

13 minutes ago, GWXCORE said:

If this gets put into a rule, imagine how many people will go straight to forums with no /b or pm to try to resolve it. Just look at some of the petty nonRP reports recently with no attempt to teach the rulebteaker. This rule will only make it worse in my opinion

I mean if they have to voice their objection OOCly then they can't?

5 hours ago, Kyle White Raven said:

Threads about this have been written in the past. 

The level of RP on this server from your average player is already subpar, I doubt taking away their ability to say ''nigger'' will impact them much. 

You want a good example of good RP without the use of racial terms then just look at NoPixel or FamilyRP, granted these are mainly played by streamers but it goes to show that you can get excellent quality RP without the racial slurs. 

As for the social justice meme, idk my dude if you want to reduce the entire argument into SJW shit then suit yourself, but maybe reflecting on what is being said is the more productive thing to do. 

You're missing out the point. I meant absolutely no offense when I said that this thread is starting to become a social justice movement. You have to remember that some people being racist is realistic. The roleplay produced by servers like you mentioned above may be of higher quality than what Eclipse currently possess. The quality of roleplay displayed comes down to the individual roleplayer and not to the server alone. You will find shit RPers on those you mentioned as well, but maybe not as frequent as you would on Eclipse. The shit RPers should be filtered out to increase the standards of the server. I would rather play on a server with 100-150 players, than 250-300 players if that made the quality of the average roleplayer better.

Again, the author of the thread was wondering if there could be made some alterations to the rules about when it comes down to usage of IC racism. People who are already black IRL will use their N-pass whenever they want regardless. It is used frequent in different situations, not just to insult someone. It can be used to enhance the roleplay in order to portray what is realistic. Saying that NoPixel and FamilyRP are better RPers because they don't permit IC racism is absolutely bullshit. The usage of IC racism doesn't exclude the ability to roleplay with quality.

I know several RP servers on GTA SA-MP that has higher standards of RP than either of the servers you mentioned, and they both allow IC racism. People just get offended because they hear the word "n*gga" instead of reading it.

1 hour ago, reidarG said:

You're missing out the point. I meant absolutely no offense when I said that this thread is starting to become a social justice movement. You have to remember that some people being racist is realistic. The roleplay produced by servers like you mentioned above may be of higher quality than what Eclipse currently possess. The quality of roleplay displayed comes down to the individual roleplayer and not to the server alone. You will find shit RPers on those you mentioned as well, but maybe not as frequent as you would on Eclipse. The shit RPers should be filtered out to increase the standards of the server. I would rather play on a server with 100-150 players, than 250-300 players if that made the quality of the average roleplayer better.

Again, the author of the thread was wondering if there could be made some alterations to the rules about when it comes down to usage of IC racism. People who are already black IRL will use their N-pass whenever they want regardless. It is used frequent in different situations, not just to insult someone. It can be used to enhance the roleplay in order to portray what is realistic. Saying that NoPixel and FamilyRP are better RPers because they don't permit IC racism is absolutely bullshit. The usage of IC racism doesn't exclude the ability to roleplay with quality.

I know several RP servers on GTA SA-MP that has higher standards of RP than either of the servers you mentioned, and they both allow IC racism. People just get offended because they hear the word "n*gga" instead of reading it.

Just to make it clear, my point was that great RP can be displayed without the use of racial slurs. I am not against RP using racial slurs in theory, but my argument is that as it currently stands those who do use racial slurs ''ICly'' are doing so not to enhance RP but just for the sake of saying it or to be purposely edgy. Furthermore, allowing this takes away the server's opportunity to be accessible to a wider audience, including content creators. Several people have stopped streaming or refuse to play because they know that someone can just drop an N-bomb and there is nothing that can be done about it. I brought up FamilyRP and NoPixel because there are examples of great RP servers that can portray multiple types of characters without the use of racial slurs. I don't think that taking a page out of their book would affect the quality of roleplay in eclipse at all, and the benefits of doing so would be significant.

Edited by Kyle White Raven
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kyle White Raven said:

Just to make it clear, my point was that great RP can be displayed without the use of racial slurs. I am not against RP using racial slurs in theory, but my argument is that as it currently stands those who do use racial slurs ''ICly'' are doing so not to enhance RP but just for the sake of saying it or to be purposely edgy. Furthermore, allowing this takes away the server's opportunity to be accessible to a wider audience, including content creators. Several people have stopped streaming or refuse to play because they know that someone can just drop an N-bomb and there is nothing that can be done about it. I brought up FamilyRP and NoPixel because there are examples of great RP servers that can portray multiple types of characters without the use of racial slurs. I don't think that taking a page out of their book would affect the quality of roleplay in eclipse at all, and the benefits of doing so would be significant.

I agree with you on this. I come across daily people using e.g voice chat OOCly. I understand how racial slurs can be interpreted completely wrong. Like I mentioned in my first post, I believe that racial slurs should receive the same treatment as e.g DM would. E,g that you need to portray it in a somewhat realistic manner and your character must face certain emotions that deems it fit for you to drop the N-bomb. For people who RP black people, say stuff as "Can you believe this nicca?" should come natural though.

For your argument in regards to content creators, then this can be edited out by a beep/mute for the duration of when someone is saying something which may give them a strike on YouTube. For Twitch streamers, it is only punishable if they do it themselves, or if they react in a way where they find it comedic. Twitch has already said that streamers cannot be responsible if a team mate in CS:GO is shouting out the N-bomb to their teammates and it appears on the live stream.

I do not think that dropping racial slurs will effectively increase the quality of the RP displayed. That comes down to the individual roleplayer. Given the application/quiz process that Eclipse already has is kind of contradicting the standards of the RP displayed by the average RPer, I think it would be more fit to stand filtering out the players with poor RP quality. I am sure you will get rid of a lot of RPers who drop the N-bomb without context during that little purge.

I think that this discussion benefits neither of us. I am entitled to my own opinion regarding this and so are you. Glad I could at least discuss this in a productive and respectful manner with you which is odd to come across these days 🙂 I will withdraw from this discussion as a whole. See you IG!

Edited by reidarG
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To be honest if you get offended from insults online and specially in a video game then you are gonna have a hard life, people can get annoying trolling ICly yes but if someone does so and you just totally ignore them they will just leave/stop (in most cases) since they are not making you mad (their goal in most cases).

I have been told you sound like a terrorist (ICly) because of my Arabic accent (despite me roleplaying an American character), but really online everyone is brave and daring cause they know they are behind a screen thousands of miles away from you so just ignore it.

4 minutes ago, Amaim said:

To be honest if you get offended from insults online and specially in a video game then you are gonna have a hard life, people can get annoying trolling ICly yes but if someone does so and you just totally ignore them they will just leave/stop (in most cases) since they are not making you mad (their goal in most cases).

I have been told you sound like a terrorist (ICly) because of my Arabic accent (despite me roleplaying an American character), but really online everyone is brave and daring cause they know they are behind a screen thousands of miles away from you so just ignore it.

While you might not take offence to that, other people of arabic descent might in that situation. They might have to put up with it a lot in their OOC lives and not want to hear that sort of thing in a gaming community. 

The only people the suggestion would effect negatively, are the ones that are using racist insults to troll.

17 hours ago, Kyle White Raven said:

So next time when I get arrested without evidence, I can ask the cop to release me because it's making me feel a certain way OOCly?

Either we separate IC and OOC, or we don't. There are a number of things people can do to affect you ICly, that should stay IC.

GTA V is rated 18+.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alexalex303 said:

So next time when I get arrested without evidence, I can ask the cop to release me because it's making me feel a certain way OOCly?

Either we separate IC and OOC, or we don't. There are a number of things people can do to affect you ICly, that should stay IC.

GTA V is rated 18+.

You missed the entire point of my analogy. The topic of racism affects a lot of people IRL, whether it's because you are an immigrant or black, etc... Having our players take these serious topics lightly by using these terms in a way that does not enhance RP is essentially a big fuck you to the entire anti-racism movement. 

When you have some random guy yelling nigger at bank or casually using it when it doesn't fit his character this IS NOT separating ''IC and OOC'', it's dumb kids using the leniency this server happily provides on racism and using it to be edgy or just for the sake of saying it. The irresponsible use of these terms is why I would like to see a rule against it.

Same applies for sexism, like that post that got quite a bit of attention a few months ago mentioned. You see players thirsting and OOC'ly asking players using a female model if they are girls IRL, throwing out random insults based solely on the fact that they are women or portraying one. Now you tell me if you seriously think any of these players have an IC reason to do this ? Personally, I think it's quite clear that the answer is no, they see a girl they act like morons and then they keep on going because this community can't be bothered to notice that the privileges they've granted aren't being used for their intended purposes, but as an excuse to abuse it and the exact same thing applies to racism.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I completely disagree with the idea of banning racist words ICly. My character ICly is supposed to be racist, that's just how his character arc made him. I believe if we got rid of this, it'd lead into many more things. Removing the ability to say such words would limit RP in my opinion. 

Edited by Goaldan