Paulius

Speed cameras

Speed cameras  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Should speed cameras be implemented?

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, Vasquez said:

Driving is very important as most players pass each other in vehicles. When the majority of players spend the majority of their time in a car, then I think it's important to start of by making the driving more rp. After that, we could always improve the damage on bullets etc. 

Whats the scale you are going by though? I can change the qualification and say that most RP heavy moments usually happen when a situation goes bad and it turns into a gunfight/fisticuffs or other forms of violence. But point taken.

If we are focusing on driving realism can we talk about how if at all would the pay change for truck drivers, parcel drivers, etc? if we want to make it more rp and they have to stop at red lights and the whole 9 yards... would there be any form of compensation to the salary or would it stay the same? Speaking of driving trucks or operation vehicles at as a job, what about refueling? currently you pay your fuel even when you're driving to a delivery and you are supposed to be working for company so they should pay your fuel and not you with out of pocket expenses.

Edit: as i mentioned before, and will mention again, there is currently 0 incentive for drivers of law abiding jobs to follow the laws of the road because they will not be paid as much... no point in following the laws to a delivery and get to it in half an hour when you can speed, run red lights, and do it in 15. i hope this changes if people want to be more strict on road laws, speeding, red lights, etc.

Edited by TheCanadian
  • Like 1

+1

Perhaps stolen vehicles being registered on the cameras isn't such a bad thing. Maybe it will encourage players to utilize the park feature more instead of just leaving it about and picking it up at mors next time they are online. I see a lot of cars carelessly parked everywhere. On the side of the highway, in the middle of the road, etc. This might at least encourage people to find a better hiding spot. I'd certainly like to see more than one parking garage though. If the owner is able to provide ICly valid proof that their vehicle was stolen Cadets on desk duty could also remove the charges, this will still be deterrent to not let their vehicle get stolen as they had to go out of their way to go to the PD.

1 minute ago, SmileyMusic said:

If you're going to add another way to drain people of their money, maybe it would be a good idea to give in on the taxes by reducing them? 

It's not about people draining their money. It's about setting up a better standard, than what we have now, regarding to driving. It's not going to effect most people in a scheme, like most people might think, that all their money will be drained, but it adds another layer of roleplay and speeding tickets are not going to be the same as attempted murder, for sure.

Besides, it's not about making money anymore or is it? It's about having a great experience for everyone really. Making money should be treated as side reward on a roleplay server, but we need more things to do with our money overall of course, but that belongs to another topic.

• Like 1

Speed cameras always sound like a great idea, but they never are. When they implemented them on NG-G everybody was for it but quickly realized why they didn't want them. If someone steals your car and racks up the tickets, then it's the owner's responsibility to pay them no matter what. This is not how it is in real life. If someone is in a roleplay situation where they're getting chased, and they're driving through the city (which happens A LOT on here), then they're going to get tickets. And without playing with a controller, and without using cruise control, it's almost impossible to control your speed using a keyboard. Sure they sound like a great idea in theory, but people will quickly realize that they do not want them. This map is HUGE and there aren't enough people driving around to warrant it in my opinion. Maybe I would be OK with it if they were implemented in select, few locations like the road to the prison, PD, MD, etc, or just NCZ in general. That would 'maybe' stop people from speeding in NCZs and that would be OK with me.

There are also several places in real life that prove speed cameras always look good on paper, but not in practice. In my home state of Ohio, many counties have outlawed the use of speed cameras simply because the automated issuing of tickets is not a good idea and should be done by a person. I've been pulled over IRL for 4 times speeding, and always let go and never given a ticket. If I let someone else drive my car, that means I could get a ticket in the mail within a few weeks.

They just suck everywhere tbh. -1 from me.

Edited by JasonG
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree 100%, fines should be huge and cameras should be all over the city.
Second one, fine should be paid by player who was speeding, no matter which car he is using - so player ID instead of vehicle, script should catch ID of a player not a car.. Problem solved. @JasonG

Edited by Ricko

2 minutes ago, Ricko said:

Agree 100%, fines should be huge and cameras should be all over the city.
Second one, fine should be paid by player who was speeding, no matter which car he is using - so player ID instead of vehicle. Problem solved.

Nah, makes it an OOC punishment for an IC crime.

Just now, JasonG said:

Nah, makes it an OOC punishment for an IC crime.

Since speeding cameras wouldn't be able to be implemented realisticly from a technical and a player standpoint (making pictures of the car and the driver and then someone analysing the data), this would make it so, that the system doesn't get abused by anyone in an IC or OOC way.

Example: Let's make someone poor, because they are rich. Let's just drive all the way through all the speed cameras.

8 minutes ago, JasonG said:

Speed cameras always sound like a great idea, but they never are. When they implemented them on NG-G everybody was for it but quickly realized why they didn't want them. If someone steals your car and racks up the tickets, then it's the owner's responsibility to pay them no matter what. This is not how it is in real life. If someone is in a roleplay situation where they're getting chased, and they're driving through the city (which happens A LOT on here), then they're going to get tickets. And without playing with a controller, and without using cruise control, it's almost impossible to control your speed using a keyboard. Sure they sound like a great idea in theory, but people will quickly realize that they do not want them. This map is HUGE and there aren't enough people driving around to warrant it in my opinion. Maybe I would be OK with it if they were implemented in select, few locations like the road to the prison, PD, MD, etc, or just NCZ in general. That would 'maybe' stop people from speeding in NCZs and that would be OK with me.

There are also several places in real life that prove speed cameras always look good on paper, but not in practice. In my home state of Ohio, many counties have outlawed the use of speed cameras simply because the automated issuing of tickets is not a good idea and should be done by a person. I've been pulled over IRL for 4 times speeding, and always let go and never given a ticket. If I let someone else drive my car, that means I could get a ticket in the mail within a few weeks.

They just suck everywhere tbh. -1 from me.

Couple things. First of all good reply and you bring up some good points.

First, I don't think we should compare this to real life. In real life the risk of getting a ticket is enough to deter people from speeding and you don't see people doubling the speed limit and driving on the wrong side of the road often. On our server we do, because of the difficulty in enforcing it, there are just too many people speeding vs. how many police we have, and the punishment is not enough to stop people from doing it. One truth that is if you are on a hakou drag you basically never need to worry about getting a ticket. Camera's would solve this problem.

Second, I don't believe the keyboard thing is an argument since cruise control DOES exist. Perhaps improvements could be made to the system to make it easier. Like have multiple cruise control settings to easily switch between highway and city speeds (130 & 70). Also it isn't IMPOSSIBLE to control your speed without it. You may not be able to hover at exactly 130, which is fine. Thats not the problem. The problem is people blowing past at 180 in the city. I'm fairly certain the camera's will not be targetting people that are accidentally doing 75 because they are using a keyboard without cruise control. Perhaps the threshhold will be 10+ over the legal limit.

Third, I believe the intent is to have camera's deployed at strategic area's. Not just have an auto ticket no matter where you are on the map. Things like NCZ's, Bank, etc would likely be targets. So it seems we are in agreement on this point.

Finally, you certainly are liable to pay a ticket "you don't deserve" if somebody steals your vehicle. Your vehicle being stolen should be a larger issue than it is now (this would also add to realism). Currently people are rather careless with their vehicles. I see them parked in the middle of the road very often. If you are doing this then quite frankly you should be liable if somebody steals it and uses it to speed around the city. There are current ways to store your car safely (parking), outside of hiding it in a good spot (which is perfectly viable). I would like to see more parking options though for people without houses.

Other than that have you experienced any other glaring issues with speed cameras being implemented on other servers such as NG-G? Interested in hearing your other criticisms.

• Like 2

Question 1: how do you know the owner is driving the car?

Question 2: would the police be able to review footage, to prove someone's innocence if their car was stolen.

Question 3: what is the money going towards?

Question 4: wouldn't it make more sense to give this time and effort into making more criminal activities, other government jobs, or other non-government jobs and regular day to day activities. (For overall a better / fun rp experiene) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tylergo20 said:

the cars if damaged should also keep the damage and not reswapn bran new

I agree, visual damage should be synched for everyone and shouldn't be able to be fixed by just walking into an interrior.
Maybe people would think twice about driving too fast, if they can't reset the visuals easily, and have to pay.

R.I.P BANK ACCOUNT.
Yo hello y'all, If its going to be an automatic ticket based on the car and for the owner of the car this will be really filthy.
There should be some way at least not to recive tickets like hiding ur plate or something imagine being on a chase or being chase and u are getting tickets one by one.
please put a way that we can hide the cars plate.

2 minutes ago, Vasquez said:

I agree, visual damage should be synched for everyone and shouldn't be able to be fixed by just walking into an interrior.
Maybe people would think twice about driving too fast, if they can't reset the visuals easily, and have to pay.

that's a RAGE issue, not a server issue.

5 minutes ago, GamingAlF said:

R.I.P BANK ACCOUNT.
Yo hello y'all, If its going to be an automatic ticket based on the car and for the owner of the car this will be really filthy.
There should be some way at least not to recive tickets like hiding ur plate or something imagine being on a chase or being chase and u are getting tickets one by one.
please put a way that we can hide the cars plate.

Get a scrapyard car, or learn to avoid the speed camera.
Or, super easy to do as well.
Comply with the speed limit.