Copperhorse

Hold LEO factions to the same risk / reward Non-RP standards that criminals are held to.

There are some aspects of this suggestion that I do agree with, such as the Turreted insurgent being unrealistic, however the overall issues raised within this suggestion could easily be avoided at the player and groups own accord. Each action has a reaction. If you wish to be left alone and not punished then simply do not provoke the reaction. 

Giving a bit of insight, this is something that Triads faced during mid 2019, where the group had no remorse or care for their actions around Law Enforcement and the reactions that came from it. This in turn started the first wave of "Suppression Checks" as there were mass shootouts daily within the city, both towards gangs and laws enforcement. At the time I was in the exact mindset of this post, it was a horrible thing to deal with daily, however it was caused by our actions. Looking back at the actions a year later, I fully understand how it was justified and using this we learned how to avoid such punishment in future scenarios.

I've spent the majority of my time as a criminal roleplayer, given that I've dabbled in other Factions here and there. Spending time in these other Factions allow players to learn and see the impact outside of their limited vision. So perhaps if you're failing to understand the "Scale of Force" that is currently being deployed, try approaching it from a wider scope and not just a single point of view.

I'm sure members from all gangs can agree that in it's current state this is a "peak level" of conflict, far larger than any we have even witnessed this year. Even larger than the previous Official Faction War. Due to this there will be consequences on all players, whether it be Civilian, Criminal or Law Enforcement. Such large scale conflict in turn will result in a larger response from the IC Counterparts, players cannot expect to fly around the city in convoys chasing opposing gang members, shooting them with no regard to location and showing extremely large and visible gang presence with no IC repercussions.

In regards to the "deadly force" I personally believe that megaphoning demands for this at speeds of 200kmh should be considered as unrealistic, however in your specific footage you were travelling at slow speeds, issued demands and then you chose to flee knowing what was issued, resulting in shots to disabled your vehicle into the lower rear and side of the car.

Onto the factor of "Risk vs Reward" this is often naturally accommodated by utilising backup to eliminate the risk, and that goes for all sides. There are plenty situations on each side where ambushes, pursuits, robberies, arrests are simply called off due to the risk involved. If it was found to reach levels of an unrealistic manner, then that is where NRP can be brought into the situation where players are free to ask for input from Staff and if further required, report it.

Talking for myself as a criminal, if I had rights to open fire on a vehicle, I would absolutely do it regardless if it was in the city, as would most criminals and as they have in the past. So to complain this is being used upon yourself as a reaction to your actions feels unjustified. 

If we want to preach realism it should be enforced on all ends and not where it would solely benefit one side.

• Like 1
  • NAY 2
  • Upvote 7

10 hours ago, mikebumbum said:

they feel good about arresting people thats what they get for winning and the longer they put someone in jail the better it makes them feel i just got put in jail literally 6 hours for a decent sized crime i guess when in reality i should have probably gotten 3 hours but i talked shit to the cop so he gave me any and every charge he could even think of in the minute he decided what he would place on me 

But again as all police think its just an IC issue clearly even the commander doesnt realize his factions RP isnt as good as he thinks

You held two SD deputies at gun point, do you expect a short time in jail? You held them up because they was treating your injured friend with RP and investigation but you guys just wanted to take him in a trunk. Do you think throwing someone into a trunk and just dropping them off at central is realistic when the SED Operative was giving BLS and would have called for MD to limit the injuries. Throwing him into a trunk and speeding to a hospital would cause more injuries to your mate. Below is the situation for reference.

Edited by HobGoblin

5 hours ago, CallumMontie said:

There are some aspects of this suggestion that I do agree with, such as the Turreted insurgent being unrealistic, however the overall issues raised within this suggestion could easily be avoided at the player and groups own accord. Each action has a reaction. If you wish to be left alone and not punished then simply do not provoke the reaction. 

Giving a bit of insight, this is something that Triads faced during mid 2019, where the group had no remorse or care for their actions around Law Enforcement and the reactions that came from it. This in turn started the first wave of "Suppression Checks" as there were mass shootouts daily within the city, both towards gangs and laws enforcement. At the time I was in the exact mindset of this post, it was a horrible thing to deal with daily, however it was caused by our actions. Looking back at the actions a year later, I fully understand how it was justified and using this we learned how to avoid such punishment in future scenarios.

I've spent the majority of my time as a criminal roleplayer, given that I've dabbled in other Factions here and there. Spending time in these other Factions allow players to learn and see the impact outside of their limited vision. So perhaps if you're failing to understand the "Scale of Force" that is currently being deployed, try approaching it from a wider scope and not just a single point of view.

I'm sure members from all gangs can agree that in it's current state this is a "peak level" of conflict, far larger than any we have even witnessed this year. Even larger than the previous Official Faction War. Due to this there will be consequences on all players, whether it be Civilian, Criminal or Law Enforcement. Such large scale conflict in turn will result in a larger response from the IC Counterparts, players cannot expect to fly around the city in convoys chasing opposing gang members, shooting them with no regard to location and showing extremely large and visible gang presence with no IC repercussions.

In regards to the "deadly force" I personally believe that megaphoning demands for this at speeds of 200kmh should be considered as unrealistic, however in your specific footage you were travelling at slow speeds, issued demands and then you chose to flee knowing what was issued, resulting in shots to disabled your vehicle into the lower rear and side of the car.

Onto the factor of "Risk vs Reward" this is often naturally accommodated by utilising backup to eliminate the risk, and that goes for all sides. There are plenty situations on each side where ambushes, pursuits, robberies, arrests are simply called off due to the risk involved. If it was found to reach levels of an unrealistic manner, then that is where NRP can be brought into the situation where players are free to ask for input from Staff and if further required, report it.

Talking for myself as a criminal, if I had rights to open fire on a vehicle, I would absolutely do it regardless if it was in the city, as would most criminals and as they have in the past. So to complain this is being used upon yourself as a reaction to your actions feels unjustified. 

If we want to preach realism it should be enforced on all ends and not where it would solely benefit one side.

I don't believe the notion of this all could be avoided if you did X justifies the unrealistic actions of a group in response of doing X. You can still respond to a group with suppression checks for the current state of the city without being unrealistic about it. This thread is in no way asking for us not to be harassed by police everywhere we go. That is an IC problem and the IC solution would be to not be as rampant with our crimes. This thread is to force EVERYONE, instead of just a specific portion of the server, to roleplay that they are in a live city when they are roleplaying.

It's like saying a few months ago the response to all of the non-rp robberies is you shouldn't fuel up by yourself, or you shouldn't go to the clothing store by yourself, or you should have your gun out when you're shopping to prevent being robbed. Would doing those actions generally prevent the non-rp robberies? Yes they would. That doesn't mean that is the answer to the problem which is unrealistic roleplay. You should not have to change your roleplay to make it so a group wont commit unrealistic roleplay upon you.

However, this problem was never just when the state of conflict in the city was high. Even when most of the criminals in the city were at peace with each other the unrealistic action of shooting firearms (especially automatic ones) on a highway to end a pursuit of a non-violent criminal was still something that happened commonly and will continue to happen if my suggestion is not approved. It has become way too commonplace as an easy way to end a pursuit. This is the thought process of a lot of PD members when they are pursuing a fast vehicle.

See fast vehicle breaking law -> Give lights & sirens -> Fast vehicle evades -> Give lethal force demands -> Wait until they are on highway and shoot their tires out with Micro SMG.

As I said before, it is simply lazy, unrealistic, and provides a poor roleplay experience for everyone involved. There are a lot of creative and tactical ways to stop an evading vehicle that provide a better roleplay experience for everyone than shooting automatic firearms on a busy highway.

The fact that a criminal has DM rights on a car in the city and would shoot is not relevant to this discussion. Generally, a criminal does not take into account civilian lives when it comes to that person determining his risk / reward of a situation. This is why you hear of innocent casualties all the time in the news. However, it is a police officers duty to protect civilian lives, so it should be a MAJOR part of their risk / reward factoring.

Edited by Copperhorse
  • Like 3

Back to the topic of high risk, 

So any time we get a call about gangs there is some of the highest risk calls we go to just due to the unknowing of what is around a corner or if they have back up set for an ambush. And yet we still respond to those calls as its our "duty" to keep the city safe. And sometimes that means we miss judge the amount of people there or have to go on little intel. 

In the end the reward for pd is keeping the city safe and having criminals and illegal items off the street. 

• NAY 3
  • Confused 1

PD/SD/other civilian/gov factions should also have handlers like the rest of the server/criminals do. I'd like to know why they don't and why their roleplay isn't monitored and critiqued.  

On 10/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, Copperhorse said:

Since the discussion has died down and pretty much everyone has put in their POV it would be great to hear from senior staff on their thoughts of this suggestion.

Bump

Edited by Fuz
  • Upvote 1

I was going to report this, but then I thought that there would be no point as I feel like no one will be held accountable for it, due to the admins responses I got.

We were in a 15 minute pursuit with Blix and Steele and the rest of the LSPD, which was honestly extremely fun however PD always take it that step to far where they NEED to win.

We had noticed them setting up these wooden barriers along the highways which they claim are destructible but 99% of the time they just stall the cars.

https://imgur.com/a/wRPVmo1

We managed to dodge most of them, and finally finesse Steele and Blix when they crash into another cruiser head on, as we go to escape where we would of most likely got free after we lost the 811 behind us, we were greeted by wooden barriers that would of quite easily been destroyed and rammed through in real life. Instead LSPD decided to abuse the fact that they are indestructible so that we would stall. It would be much more realistic if they at least left gaps to make up for the fact that the wooden barriers are indestructible, instead I feel like they took advantage of a bug abuse and PG'd the whole situation. 

https://streamable.com/qbot7e

When I /report 4'd in game I was greeted by a PD admin who basically told me nah, and didn't even offer to redo the situation. 

https://imgur.com/a/KYr5lQ5

I must admit, it was a fun chase, however PD had to win once again just so they could put a crim in prison for two hours.

https://imgur.com/a/UMNTVGh

Hopefully we can see a big change in what I feel is a big bias towards PD, sooner rather than later.

Edited by givejoshamosin
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, givejoshamosin said:

I was going to report this, but then I thought that there would be no point as I feel like no one will be held accountable for it, due to the admins responses I got.

We were in a 15 minute pursuit with Blix and Steele and the rest of the LSPD, which was honestly extremely fun however PD always take it that step to far where they NEED to win.

We had noticed them setting up these wooden barriers along the highways which they claim are destructible but 99% of the time they just stall the cars.

https://imgur.com/a/wRPVmo1

We managed to dodge most of them, and finally finesse Steele and Blix when they crash into another cruiser head on, as we go to escape where we would of most likely got free after we lost the 811 behind us, we were greeted by wooden barriers that would of quite easily been destroyed and rammed through in real life. Instead LSPD decided to abuse the fact that they are indestructible so that we would stall. It would be much more realistic if they at least left gaps to make up for the fact that the wooden barriers are indestructible, instead I feel like they took advantage of a bug abuse and PG'd the whole situation. 

https://streamable.com/qbot7e

When I /report 4'd in game I was greeted by a PD admin who basically told me nah, and didn't even offer to redo the situation. 

https://imgur.com/a/KYr5lQ5

I must admit, it was a fun chase, however PD had to win once again just so they could put a crim in prison for two hours.

https://imgur.com/a/UMNTVGh

Hopefully we can see a big change in what I feel is a big bias towards PD, sooner rather than later.

Yeah, no.

Firstly, Blue barriers are destructible, but of course they stall a vehicle if you plow through them at 200km/h...this is called ''Kinetic Energy'', it's the same reason why if you crash into another car at 200km/h vs 10km/h you will see a difference in effect to both the vehicle and the collided object. Of course the GTA 5 engine works differently than real life, but the same principle applies. PD is not allowed to set up barriers with the orange blockades (/blockade barrier2), because these actually are indestructible, so we are told to use the blue ones, since they are destructible, in fact, in your own video you see the 811 destroy part of the barriers as it hits it and then when other cruisers hit your 811. The reason this would most likely be denied is because of the lack of rule break or substance, not because of bias.

Secondly, I find it very ironic how this is being posted in a thread that aims to improve PD RP. People previously complained that we either shoot in unrealistic areas with little time in between demands or have no care for civilian lives. However, you post a situation where you were chased for ''15 minutes'' and then seem to complain when PD players decide to anticipate and predict your movement, using legitimate police tactics and placing blockades. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All in all, this thread in general has some good suggestions, some of which I agreed with, but the thing I keep coming back to is people pointing out situations that have ZERO to do with PD realism and more to do with the fact you got out-played. Oh and before you say something about ''win-mentality'' when I say ''out-played'', I mean outsmarted, as in you were caught because a group of people worked hard to set something in motion in the little time they most likely had and you got caught. If you want to call this ''win-mentality'' then go ahead. As far as I'm concerned, this is the type of post that muddies the overall positive message of this thread by bringing up situations that have nothing wrong with them.

Edited by Cyrus Raven
  • NAY 3

6 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Yeah, no.

Firstly, Blue barriers are destructible, but of course they stall a vehicle if you plow through them at 200km/h...this is called ''Kinetic Energy'', it's the same reason why if you crash into another car at 200km/h vs 10km/h you will see a difference in effect to both the vehicle and the collided object. Of course the GTA 5 engine works differently than real life, but the same principle applies. PD is not allowed to set up barriers with the orange blockades (/blockade barrier2), because these actually are indestructible, so we are told to use the blue ones, since they are destructible, in fact, in your own video you see the 811 destroy part of the barriers as it hits it and then when other cruisers hit your 811. The reason this would most likely be denied is because of the lack of rule break or substance, not because of bias.

So you're telling me that if a car hit a wooden barrier at 200mph plus, it would come to a complete stop like it did? They were clearly misused, however I'm sure you could argue otherwise all day long

• Like 1

Just now, givejoshamosin said:

So you're telling me that if a car hit a wooden barrier at 200mph plus, it would come to a complete stop like it did? They were clearly misused, however I'm sure you could argue otherwise all day long

This is where the ''Of course the GTA 5 engine works differently than real life, but the same principle applies.'' comment came in, but I guess you missed it.

Of course in real life the vehicle would interact differently with that type of barrier, but it would damage the vehicle for sure, I don't think anyone argued that it would stop the car as it did for you.

However, if realism is your biggest concern on how an object affects your car then I expect you to purposely ram your car into a wall every single time you pass over a sidewalk while driving a sports car at 180km/h+ in the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumE2IxsgHg [Graphic Warning] - As you can see the vehicle loses control after hitting the sidewalk, keep in mind the speed of the vehicle is a lot slower than the speeds seen in Eclipse. So next time you think about doing any curb boosting or cutting corners through sidewalks during chases, I expect you to uphold the same standard of realism you are demanding. If you agree to this then I will accept the ''issue'' with the barriers.

For the rest that might not be inclined follow this absurd line of thinking that givejoshamosin is suggesting what I would say is the following. GTA is a game at the end of the day, our job is to try and portray realism to a high-degree, but this isn't possible in everything we do because as mentioned, it is a game. When it comes to blockades, we already use ones that are destructible (mainly at slow speeds due to how the engine works). Using this as an example of PG or bad PD RP is nonsensical, what it does is show how we RP as a team and come up with tactics on the spot to stop a felon.

• NAY 1

18 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Yeah, no.

Secondly, I find it very ironic how this is being posted in a thread that aims to improve PD RP. People previously complained that we either shoot in unrealistic areas with little time in between demands or have no care for civilian lives. However, you post a situation where you were chased for ''15 minutes'' and then seem to complain when PD players decide to anticipate and predict your movement, using legitimate police tactics and placing blockades. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All in all, this thread in general has some good suggestions, some of which I agreed with, but the thing I keep coming back to is people pointing out situations that have ZERO to do with PD realism and more to do with the fact you got out-played. Oh and before you say something about ''win-mentality'' when I say ''out-played'', I mean outsmarted, as in you were caught because a group of people worked hard to set something in motion in the little time they most likely had and you got caught. If you want to call this ''win-mentality'' then go ahead. As far as I'm concerned, this is the type of post that muddies the overall positive message of this thread by bringing up situations that have nothing wrong with them.

A car travelling at 200+ would blast through some plywood, yes the front bumper may get damaged but the car is rear engine so I believe the chances of it being fine, realistically would be fine.

On top of that you talking about how you guys "out-played" me with your tactics that clearly, the cruisers that ploughed into my rear end didn't even know about 🤣.

2 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

This is where the ''Of course the GTA 5 engine works differently than real life, but the same principle applies.'' comment came in, but I guess you missed it.

Of course in real life the vehicle would interact differently with that type of barrier, but it would damage the vehicle for sure, I don't think anyone argued that it would stop the car as it did for you.

However, if realism is your biggest concern on how an object affects your car then I expect you to purposely ram your car into a wall every single time you pass over a sidewalk while driving a sports car at 180km/h+ in the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumE2IxsgHg [Graphic Warning] - As you can see the vehicle loses control after hitting the sidewalk, keep in mind the speed of the vehicle is a lot slower than the speeds seen in Eclipse. So next time you think about doing any curb boosting or cutting corners through sidewalks during chases, I expect you to uphold the same standard of realism you are demanding. If you agree to this then I will accept the ''issue'' with the barriers.

For the rest that might not be inclined follow this absurd line of thinking that givejoshamosin is suggesting what I would say is the following. GTA is a game at the end of the day, our job is to try and portray realism to a high-degree, but this isn't possible in everything we do because as mentioned, it is a game. When it comes to blockades, we already use ones that are destructible (mainly at slow speeds due to how the engine works). Using this as an example of PG or bad PD RP is nonsensical, what it does is show how we RP as a team and come up with tactics on the spot to stop a felon.

you still shouldnt abuse something that completely ends the rp just so you can win those barriers shouldnt have been set up as its unrealistic. thats not a tactic thats effectively setting up a brick wall that cant be passed just to win. The fact you think thats okay shows the mindset you guys have..... 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Hello? Clearly you ride some high horse and you think being patronising puts you in some sort of position that might compensate for some things, however I never said it should be super realistic, I never brought up "kinetic energy" that was all you, I'm just saying that crims are expected to hold a high level of RP and not do something that is extremely unrealistic. 

I stated that it's clear abuse of the barriers, nothing more.

1 minute ago, mikebumbum said:

you still shouldnt abuse something that completely ends the rp just so you can win those barriers shouldnt have been set up as its unrealistic. thats not a tactic thats effectively setting up a brick wall that cant be passed just to win. The fact you think thats okay shows the mindset you guys have..... 

Abuse ? The barriers work as intended, they are destructible at low speeds and immobilize the vehicle at high-speeds, just like any other wooden prop in the game (think about the fences at braddox and the effect they have on vehicles moving at very high-speeds), unlike the orange indestructible ones which actually injure due to their indestructible nature.

Here is a tip, get creative as you guys usually are (setting up bikes, blocking tunnels, etc...) and don't become predictable, riding a multi-million dollar super car around a highway. 

5 minutes ago, givejoshamosin said:

Hello? Clearly you ride some high horse and you think being patronising puts you in some sort of position that might compensate for some things, however I never said it should be super realistic, I never brought up "kinetic energy" that was all you, I'm just saying that crims are expected to hold a high level of RP and not do something that is extremely unrealistic. 

I stated that it's clear abuse of the barriers, nothing more.

I am being patronising, I will admit.

However, my points still stands. The reason I bring up ''kinetic energy'' and ''realism'' is because you stated ''we were greeted by wooden barriers that would of quite easily been destroyed and rammed through in real life.''

The implication in your statement is that the barriers shouldn't have been placed because they do not act like real life wooden barriers, which is why I then explained to you that other actions you perform with your vehicle in game are equally as unrealistic (curb boosting/riding on sidewalks at high-speeds in the city, being an example), thus the inconsistency from your part. In other words, being hypocritical. 

3 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

they werent used for that though they were used with the intent to destroy the car which is unrealistic those barriers are supposed to be used to block off crime scenes not turn into a brick wall to stall a car... 

If they were actually destuctable at any speed and just slowed the car down like it would realistically I would agree it makes sense to put them there I guess... but you used them in a way to end the RP so that you could win. He was going to get away only due to the slim fact a cruiser smashed into you otherwise he would have been caught.

Instead you guys decided to use ply wood barriers to win the chase and destroy the car it's highly unrealistic and just sad all around 

Edited by mikebumbum
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mikebumbum said:

they werent used for that though they were used with the intent to destroy the car which is unrealistic those barriers are supposed to used to block off crime scenes not turn into a brick wall to stall a car... 

If they were actually destuctable at any speed and just slowed the car down like it would realistically I would agree it makes sense to put them there I guess... but you used them in a way to end the RP so that you could win. He was going to get away only due to the slim fact a cruiser smashed into you otherwise he would have been caught.

Instead you guys decided to use ply wood barriers to win the chase and destroy the car it's highly unrealistic and just sad all around 

Let me fix your statement real quick: ''You used a barrier meant to dissuade a driver from going through it to stop a pursuit of a felon''

Yes, that's what police tactics usually consist off, ways to STOP criminals....

1 minute ago, alexalex303 said:

Wouldn't be a brickwall at 200mph either would it?

You guys fail to see how something that is unrealistic and clearly a flaw in the game engine is being misused.  

3 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Here is a tip, get creative as you guys usually are (setting up bikes, blocking tunnels, etc...) and don't become predictable, riding a multi-million dollar super car around a highway. 

Thanks for the tip, however I don't think you have the facilities to be giving crims tips.

4 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

Abuse ? The barriers work as intended, they are destructible at low speeds and immobilize the vehicle at high-speeds, just like any other wooden prop in the game (think about the fences at braddox and the effect they have on vehicles moving at very high-speeds), unlike the orange indestructible ones which actually injure due to their indestructible nature.

Yeah, lemme just think about the little weed plants at labs that stall engines too.. Or the water bottles in the middle of the road. Next time I'm being chased or chasing someone, I'm just gonna ask the team over the radio to put loads of water bottles in the road, because "kinetic energy" will cause it to stall them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, givejoshamosin said:

Yeah, lemme just think about the little weed plants at labs that stall engines too.. Or the water bottles in the middle of the road. Next time I'm being chased or chasing someone, I'm just gonna ask the team over the radio to put loads of water bottles in the road, because "kinetic energy" will cause it to stall them.

this right here is a perfect example of the pure biased actions. Should I be able to line up water bottles while im chasing criminals as the game mechanics cause them to stall cars? If I did that id get a nonrp and be one step closer to getting banned but if you did it you'd either get told its an ic problem or get a warning for unrealistic actions.

is it only allowed because you are police and we are criminals. It's abusing game mechanics which happens often from PD but no one blinks an eye.

Edited by mikebumbum

1 minute ago, givejoshamosin said:

Wouldn't be a brickwall at 200mph either would it?

You guys fail to see how something that is unrealistic and clearly a flaw in the game engine is being misused.  

Thanks for the tip, however I don't think you have the facilities to be giving crims tips.

You're right man I must have skipped that Physics 101 class where Professor Bob said water bottles and plants have the same impact as big wooden blockades. My bad g