reeceobz

Remove player ID from MDC Search

My suggestion is to remove the ability to retrieve a players In character data from just searching their OOC ID into the search bar since the current system can be easily used to meta game. Another point I would like to add is the ID system is for ooc purposes such as pming someone. The MDC is IC.

This is what the MDC looks like today:

ed417d7d059240a76d80eefc87bd2398.png

Official factions are expected to withhold a higher standard of rp then the regular player since they're ones setting a example. The little things count even like in this case its just typing a players full name out into the computer. The server is based on mostly realism and IRL there is no shortcuts into putting a persons name into the police database.

Edited by reeceobz
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, Devonte said:

-1 lol?? The only way we are allowed to use the player ID is when we know their full name ICly. It is just something to make it easier for us instead of typing your full name the whole time.

If your that into roleplay you've invested your time into joining a law enforcement faction then I'm sure you can invest a bit more into typing out someones full name..

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Devonte said:

But how does it affect you if it's there? If someone uses it to metagame then just report them?

Us Crims would be unable to record what happens on the Police MDC, so meta would be hard to prove, I almost guarantee this system has been abused somewhere along the line, even if its for a quick check, it makes more sense to me for it not to be a thing, makes more in depth investigation/rp for cops. +1

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, HobGoblin said:

-1. OOCly some times we need to find out the persons name for rp. Like for fingerprints etc. Yes we have their ID and we can use /ldo [ID] but if there game crashes then their ID changes and we can no longer do the Rp.

+1, also if his game crashes I am pretty sure that is why they added a section on the ECRP discord where you can inform the people that were initiating in the rp scenario that your game crashed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WobblierDog15 said:

Big -1. This is a feature for ease of access and I've never witness it being abused. Has this ever directly affected you?

It has yes, Its hard to prove. I just think removing it and actually typing the persons name out isn't that hard to ask for..c

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WobblierDog15 said:

Big -1. This is a feature for ease of access and I've never witness it being abused. Has this ever directly affected you?

Yes this has directly affected me, I've both been in PD and watched it happen, also been on criminal and faced it happening to me. 

• Like 3

Imagine this scenario:

You're a police officer and you've finally caught a player.  You don't have this player's name so you start roleplaying trying to find their ID.  For some reason, this player refuses to RP with you and therefore breaks the rules.  You type /report 4 but no admins respond.

How do you proceed when you must force the RP to move forward with server commands in this situation?  /frisk does not bring up the player's name.  If this feature was removed there would be zero avenue to continue IC and you're effectively held hostage by someone trying to make your life miserable OOC and you cannot proceed.

Imagine this next scenario:

You catch a player and that player RPs that they have tossed their ID away.  To continue IC, you must go to Mission Row and check to see if they have fingerprints on file in our database.  After roleplaying scanning this person's fingerprints, how do you propose searching for them in the MDC to check if a record of fingerprints exists or not?  

There are drawbacks to this suggestion that you aren't considering.  If you feel an officer is metagaming or abusing this system, report them.  Simple as that.

Edited by Victor Einhart

If someone is using a player ID when they don't know their actual name, that's meta-gaming and it's a server issue.

When you whisper someone in game, do you type their name or do you use their player ID. Same thing applies.

• Upvote 2

You can all sit and say there are drawbacks for nor having the ID to search, but frankly why should one group be give access to essentially ooc systems ic to acquire names at the risk of a rule breach. Report it like everyone else as you want to showcase. 

As for it being a rule breach, yes we know this and its been covered in depth. However, it is very hard to prove this, if you can't afford to take the extra seconds out of your time to type a name them it's beyond me. 

Your "scenarios" are simply solved via rp believed it or not:

/do would your prints be in the system

/do what name would they match 

To say you require this incase of rule breaches is obscene. 

• Like 3

Investigative RP is often based on us having to know the ID and then seeing what we are rp'ing with, way too often do people try to lie in RP or misleads us which would essentially mean that we'd have to involve staff each time we'd need it checked. Also as Einhart mentioned there are different situations where we need to get their script name.

It may not be the easiest to understand unless you are in our position but I do not feel that it should be removed due to any of the aforementioned reasons.

• Like 2

+1. You're using OOC information to gain IC information. If you got the persons name, then you should type the name in the system instead of typing their player ID. The excuse of people breaking rules is not a valid excuse. What other solutions do we have as players that allow us to do things IC when players refuse to RP? How many times as criminal have I /frisk'd somebody without them /friskapproving? Should we add a /friskforce command? No.

I personally have had charges added onto me without them ever seeing my face or my ID. It'd be great to know if this was somebody metagaming my ID by using the MDC or if somebody actually checked the registered owner of the vehicle and added charges without getting this IC information, which would be an IC problem instead of a rulebreak. Currently I have no way of knowing which one it was. At least I know if this is implemented that it was done ICly.

Edited by Copperhorse
  • Like 1