reeceobz

Remove player ID from MDC Search

19 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

-1. I have never seen this being abused. At every scene I see people searching for ID. It just makes it much easier for us. If you think someone has done this before, then report them?

It's impossible to prove if somebody typed an ID or somehow found your name ICly.

Just now, Copperhorse said:

It's impossible to prove if somebody typed an ID or somehow found your name ICly.

Not really. If they didnt search you for ID then they likely metagamed it...

Most peoples names I know on-duty are criminals, and I have them aliased, but if I have them aliased they usually have me aliased, plus I still search them for ID.

Just now, Aaron Martin said:

Not really. If they didnt search you for ID then they likely metagamed it...

Most peoples names I know on-duty are criminals, and I have them aliased, but if I have them aliased they usually have me aliased, plus I still search them for ID.

Likely isn't enough to give somebody a punishment. You need proof. There are many ways somebody could get somebodies name ICly without searching them for an ID. So many excuses for a cop to use if asked by an admin how did you find this persons name. 

14 hours ago, CallumMontie said:

Yes this has directly affected me, I've both been in PD and watched it happen

In this case, why did you not report it? If you are (or were) in PD and you directly witnessed the system being abused it seems quite easy to have reported it. In this case, the abusers get in trouble and other LEOs don't get punished.

Furthermore, if it came to light that the ID search was being abused, I'm sure this feature would have been removed a while ago.

Edit: More often than you think we arrest criminals with the name along the lines of "Freddfersfklesfrt Handletebsyeto". I sure as hell am not typing that Non-RP name into the MDC.

Edited by WobblierDog15

3 hours ago, WobblierDog15 said:

In this case, why did you not report it? If you are (or were) in PD and you directly witnessed the system being abused it seems quite easy to have reported it. In this case, the abusers get in trouble and other LEOs don't get punished.

Furthermore, if it came to light that the ID search was being abused, I'm sure this feature would have been removed a while ago.

Edit: More often than you think we arrest criminals with the name along the lines of "Freddfersfklesfrt Handletebsyeto". I sure as hell am not typing that Non-RP name into the MDC.

I did report it, initially to IA where the case was dropped as the player resigned from pd and by that time the evidence was older than the required report time. 

This post was made when this was at its peak level of abuse, however instead of changing it, it was swept under the rug and only recently revived. 

You can type a partial name into the mdc and it brings up the closest result to the current online players. 

• Like 1

People need to understand that we have multiple ways of identifying you. Just because we won't tell you directly how we have identified you, does not mean it was metagamed. I have personally been "questioned" about this same which is more than fine cause I always have my IC means of identifying but we will not always reveal out methods to you. However in the event of an OOC internal affairs report, they will get to know how everything has hone down. 

Just cause you got charges and had a mask, does not mean we metagamed.

I stand by my -1

• Upvote 1

My favourite part is you despite having little to no proof, you still accuse cops of meta-gaming when they type your ID in, instead of giving people the benefit of the doubt.
I've been in PD nearly 15 months and I can't remember a single time when a cop has been found guilty of using the MDC and meta-gaming this way.

The reason why you get caught, is because you are obvious. You drive the same vehicles, wear the same clothes, hang at the same places and commit public acts of criminality that brings unnecessary attention.

These days I have to watch what I say, but maybe you need to be less obvious in your dealings?

Edited by Bala
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bala said:

My favourite part is you despite having little to no proof, you still accuse cops of meta-gaming when they type your ID in, instead of giving people the benefit of the doubt.
I've been in PD nearly 15 months and I can't remember a single time when a cop has been found guilty of using the MDC and meta-gaming this way.

The reason why you get caught, is because you are obvious. You drive the same vehicles, wear the same clothes, hang at the same places and commit public acts of criminality that brings unnecessary attention.

These days I have to watch what I say, but maybe you need to be less obvious in your dealings?

Let's not forget the voice. Nobody tries to muffle it in any way when they shoot cops or kidnap someone.

22 minutes ago, TheCactus said:

Let's not forget the voice. Nobody tries to muffle it in any way when they shoot cops or kidnap someone.

Lets not forget people have used voice and charged peoples alts over their mains voice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CallumMontie said:

Lets not forget people have used voice and charged peoples alts over their mains voice.

True. That is the officers' fault tho, so they gotta assume their responsibilities and face the consequences.

Edited by TheCactus

-1 Have you ever tried to type a name like @GiorgosK's name like over and over and over into the MDC? Misspelling it by one letter and having to go over it again and again, just to place charges, check records, get any information? I would be fine with removing it, if, there was a history section, that shows my recent searches, so I dont have to type a 50 letter name every time I need to check something. Ive only seen it used, when they already know their name/already put it in the MDC

10 minutes ago, awp8883 said:

-1 Have you ever tried to type a name like @GiorgosK's name like over and over and over into the MDC? Misspelling it by one letter and having to go over it again and again, just to place charges, check records, get any information? I would be fine with removing it, if, there was a history section, that shows my recent searches, so I dont have to type a 50 letter name every time I need to check something. Ive only seen it used, when they already know their name/already put it in the MDC

Almost as if you'd have to type it into the system correctly irl? Lemme just get the floating ID over the guy gave a speeding ticket to.

You can type his partial name and it will result in his full name, especially since he has such a unique name. 

3 hours ago, Felcon said:

+1 I see all arguments from cops that they names are too long or too hard to spell but thats an IC issue. 

Not 100% of the time. Some people are trolls and just slapped their keyboard a few times when they created their character and end up with a gibberish name. I only use ID to look up someone's name after I was able to view their license, just like any other cop would do. If you're wearing a mask or I don't have you aliased I don't look you up with your player ID, it's that simple.

22 minutes ago, WobblierDog15 said:

Not 100% of the time. Some people are trolls and just slapped their keyboard a few times when they created their character and end up with a gibberish name. I only use ID to look up someone's name after I was able to view their license, just like any other cop would do. If you're wearing a mask or I don't have you aliased I don't look you up with your player ID, it's that simple.

Some people have weird names IRL too, this doesn't change the fact your using ooc information in an IC system. It's lazyness and unfair for one segment of the player base to have access to ooc info ICly

5 hours ago, awp8883 said:

-1 Have you ever tried to type a name like @GiorgosK's name like over and over and over into the MDC?

Sounds like you’re too lazy. Imagine you meet someone with a crazy last name. IRL you’d have to deal with it, not just type in a floating number above their head cus you’re incapable of taking the time to spell it out correctly. This is exactly why it gets ABUSED, along with the fact, we as civilians would rarely be able to tell, let alone report it. Your IC script has OOC benefits and it needs to be readjusted. 90% of the -1 votes are PD/SD. You see legals and criminals upvoting this. Every PD voting -1 is closing their eyes to avoid the truth outside of their faction’s bubble. sorrynotsorry 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 11:41 PM, Victor Einhart said:

Imagine this next scenario:

You catch a player and that player RPs that they have tossed their ID away.  To continue IC, you must go to Mission Row and check to see if they have fingerprints on file in our database.  After roleplaying scanning this person's fingerprints, how do you propose searching for them in the MDC to check if a record of fingerprints exists or not?  

Have a static station at the PD office that would let you search player's name by ID. This wouldn't remove the whole system, but would help in reducing the metagaming risk associated with the MDC in it's current state.

+1 This change would only bring a deeper layer of roleplay.

• Upvote 1

+1, both from PD's side and criminals side.

I agree, it's easier to use ID's, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to use Fname_Lname. Not to mention if you put in a part of the name, the MDC will actually show the record of the person with the name closest to what you filled in, also only showing it of the person that is online.
Some might didn't know this yet. /PM's work the same way.

When I was in PD, I really only used it after seeing a license, but it was purely because it is indeed just easier. 1 time, due to my keyboard randomly failing, I accidentally pressed charges on the wrong person because of this, which is hard to explain IC as ID's are OOC.
From my criminal side, it's obviously hard to confirm if things were done legit or not so I won't assume, but I just find it very uncomfortable knowing ID's can be used. IRL names would be used aswell, player ID's aren't a thing there

When it comes to the RP of scanning fingerprints, seeing if the person is registrated, you don't need an ID either honestly. Just make use of the commands to RP; /me and /do's.

Edited by Yputi
  • Upvote 2

Police MDC:

- PD wants to continue using ID numbers instead of full names due to laziness/"too hard to type names" (from what I read, apparently the MDC autofills the name once you type enough letters so that excuse is irrelevant)
- Tells us to report if they think its metagaming (impossible to prove)
- If we report PD for metagaming, it has to be an IA report which will most likely never get through/swept under the rug
- If PD reports other players logging on them and not continuing RP, it can just go on forums to be reviewed
- Also, it would have ruined your RP by the time the IA gets accepted or even looked at, by that time you're in jail and had to pay a hefty fine
- Einhart talked about a scenario of having to force RP due to players logging/"refusing to RP"
- Why don't PD report those players instead of try to "forceRP" by basically metagaming the ID
- Every comment that has a -1 on this thread has shown that they want to use the ID for their own advantages without giving fair play to the rest
- Sometimes people get away from PD and that's okay, PD doesn't have to use ID tags to catch people, there are sooooo many other ways around it which would result in more RP
- From what it seems, PD doesn't want to RP and just wants to lock up as many people as possible in the shortest time possible.
- Sometimes you have to investigate for a couple days by finding out who "John_Doe" hangs around with, find his number, track it, the location he is seen the most, etc.
- Theres literally infinite ways to arrest someone after they have gotten away from PD, lazy RP is no excuse

• Like 2