jason

Make Combat Logging a Permanent Ban

As the title says. Currently, people are more willing to take a NonRP punishment rather than lose certain items, because NonRP punishments are seen as slaps on the wrist. Combat logging should be an instant permaban, as it shows NO desire to roleplay whatsoever. You should have to appeal and explain yourself as to why you think combat logging is acceptable.

It's one of the few rulebreaks that is only breached on purpose, and should be punished as such. Even DM, which is punished more severely, can happen accidentally or questionably.

If someone is given a combat logging punishment due to technical issues with no proof, that's their fault. It's your responsibility to prove that you didn't combat log, or make someone aware as to whether or not you're able to return using the new crash reports channel.

Edited by CBullet
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Hell yes! Big times +1! Combat logging should be treated as not here to role-play. It completely ruins all of the role-play that was going to that point and it basically has to be voided if the individual doesn't come back. 

• Upvote 1

As frustrating as it can be, I don't think this is worth an instant perma-ban.
If reproduced too much, it could lead to a ban eventually but the majority of the people I see combat logging are rather new players.

A chance has to be given to people... they should have the opportunity to learn. I feel like we shouldn't be slapping the banhammer as soon as someone breaks a rule.

As much as I hate people who log, especially after engaging in some form of shootout then logging when losing I would be opposed to making it a permaban. For those who genuinely have internet issues randomly, where my internet is great but I would hate to be on the end of a mistake where my isp goes down during a shootout and one would receive a ban for it. I think it's fine how it is now, a non RP punishment on their record. 

However I would be in favour if they have two combat logs in a row it would be a ban of some sort as this shows negligent and a pattern.

1 minute ago, Captain Tofu said:

A chance has to be given to people... they should have the opportunity to learn. I feel like we shouldn't be slapping the banhammer as soon as someone breaks a rule.

Why should they be given a chance with something that is 100% done with the intention of ruining roleplay for someone else? Nobody deserves a second chance for a deliberate rulebreak that interrupts everyone else's roleplay.

We issue bans for "Not here to roleplay" all the time, why wouldn't we do the same for someone who shows no intention to roleplay in a different way?

Edited by CBullet
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CBullet said:

Why should they be given a chance with something that is 100% done with the intention of ruining roleplay for someone else? Nobody deserves a second chance for a deliberate rulebreak that interrupts everyone else's roleplay.

Because sometimes it's not intentional... Even if it is, I can understand, without encouraging, new players combat logging off a situation they don't like thinking there will be little to no consequences (And I, know it's written in the rules.)

Also, just take into consideration that you are not losing ANYTHING but 10 to 15 minutes of roleplay because someone combat logged.

A 3 day ban would be enough for a first offence.

Just now, Felcon said:

-1 on the permaban instantly. It should be treated like DM 2X and permaban. As a lot of new players make this mistake and it could potentially stop people from playing GTARP. But +1 on having a stricter punishment

It's not a "mistake." It's a deliberate rulebreak. That's my entire point about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhenomenalX said:

It definitely deserves more severe punishment but not perma ban, let's say one day your electricity goes out and you cannot notify the opposite party would be sad just to get insta perma banned for it.

If your electricity goes out, all you have to do is take your phone and film proof. Many people have done that in the past and avoided combat logging punishments because of it.

• Like 1

Just now, CBullet said:

If your electricity goes out, all you have to do is take your phone and film proof. Many people have done that in the past and avoided combat logging punishments because of it.

I have nothing against what you just said personally and can be done but i'm pretty sure if staff catches someone doing combat-logging intentionally they are served harsh punishments. 

3 minutes ago, PhenomenalX said:

I have nothing against what you just said personally and can be done but i'm pretty sure if staff catches someone doing combat-logging intentionally they are served harsh punishments. 

They aren't given harsh punishments, that's the issue. If someone combat logs and has no prior punishments, the punishment they're given per punishment guidelines is literally just a warning, despite deliberately ruining other players' roleplay and showing no desire to roleplay themselves.

Edited by CBullet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think combat logging should be made under a different punishment set or could be put under metagaming punishments.

Metagaming punishments take 3 to get you banned, and they are based on gaining an advantage through OOC means, which logging is. This way people would still have a chance to learn from their mistake without instantly getting banned, but the chances to learn are reduced.

But i don't think a 1 and done policy should be applied on the very first time.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JakeInnit_ said:

Huge +1, shit like this has to stop, it removes everyone from roleplay for up to 15 minutes.

After reading this thread, I fully agree with it being a perm ban.  It's unfair, and in this report you can obviously see the two people that got murked there do not want to roleplay in this server.  Jake had all to lose in this situation since he has more guns and a heavy, and can't combat log since he's a veteran and has more to lose.

Not to mention, combat logging does show a sign of maturity, if you do it, it's clearly because you're immature and can't handle being on the server.  I think you should be able to get a second chance eventually, but it needs to atleast be in a month or two.  The uptick in population has made this a VERY big problem.

+1, ban all combat loggers. 

• Like 1

Game crashes are very easy to prove thanks to windows logging. A computer crash can be more difficult to prove, but again logs are there that can make things more simple. Internet going down I would say is the hardest to prove that it wasn't intentional. I had my internet go out maybe once or twice while playing, but thankfully I just exited the RP situations when it did.

It can happen to all types of players, new or old. Older ones will likely explain it on a player report or bother making a ban appeal. But new players, that's a bit more difficult and simply moving on is a easier and faster choice. If I was new and I would get banned because my internet decided to go out for about 30 minutes at a bad time, I would just move on and forget about the server. But given a warning and being told to keep proof for next time if the same situations rises up, that'd make a worlds of difference.

A instant and perma ban is a simple and fast way to solve a problem that you have. It's not a learning experience, it's basically telling someone not to come back, ever. This is why I think combat logging should be made out of a warning and a ban after.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.