Cyrus Raven

MDC while off-duty

Simple suggestion, allow PD/SD to access MDCs while they are off-duty. Regardless if you are on-duty or off-duty you would know the log in and password to your MDC account. Having this would make it easier to comply with faction rules when it comes to charging someone while another officer or deputy transports them. 

For example: If I am a Deputy in the city who detained someone holding another person up, then I should be adding the charges. However, as the script currently functions, I am forced to go back all the way to Paleto just to get on-duty for a few seconds and charge someone, when realistically speaking I should be able to log into the MDC at Mission Row/DOC or any cruiser and quickly apply them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

You should not be enforcing the law when you're off-duty. You definitively shouldn't be charging people when you're off-duty either.

???

You shouldn't be conducting any sort of regular duties when off-duty, this suggestion has nothing to do with that. As for charges, you should absolutely be adding charges yourself if you were the officer/deputy who witnessed what happened. That's the recommendation given to us through our handbooks and this is a suggestion that not only is realistic, but helps us comply with that recommendation. Whether you are off or on duty doesn't prevent you from having knowledge of your log-in and password and accessing the database through any government owned computer (Police cruiser, Mission Row, DOC, Paleto, etc...)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyle White Raven said:

???

You shouldn't be conducting any sort of regular duties when off-duty, this suggestion has nothing to do with that. As for charges, you should absolutely be adding charges yourself if you were the officer/deputy who witnessed what happened. That's the recommendation given to us through our handbooks and this is a suggestion that not only is realistic, but helps us comply with that recommendation. Whether you are off or on duty doesn't prevent you from having knowledge of your log-in and password and accessing the database through any government owned computer (Police cruiser, Mission Row, DOC, Paleto, etc...)

Yes it does. If you don't have access to the mdc, you are relying on other officers to enforce the law. If you can arrest and charge a person, are you even off-duty anymore? Might as well allow officers to be on-duty and doing personal stuff.

You want to charge people off-duty because your handbook tells you to charge people yourself when you witness things. Change the handbook, or leave the law enforcement to on-duty officers. I don't see how the server should have to change to fit your handbook. 

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zion Willard said:

The MDC is a police computer logged into the police database through a secure connection found only in cruisers and police precincts. 

I also see no RP value that could come as a result this suggestion. 

Just to clarify, my suggestion is in no way implying that off-duty LEOs should have access to MDCs everywhere (like on their phones), just that they should be able to log-on without being on-duty through the places you mentioned.

12 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

Yes it does. If you don't have access to the mdc, you are relying on other officers to enforce the law. If you can arrest and charge a person, are you even off-duty anymore? Might as well allow officers to be on-duty and doing personal stuff.

I don't even know how to respond to this, you're just wrong in terms of how things work right now... LEOs can absolutely enforce the law while off-duty, but their abilities are reduced of course. They can't use the radio so they have to call 911 and they don't have access to any police gear or resources.

If an off-duty officer witnesses an armed robbery, hostage situation, grand theft auto or even gets robbed himself, he should immediately be calling 911. Depending on the situation and it's urgency the officer is able to intervene. If the officer himself is robbed or injured and happens to know the person's name then he can absolutely charge that person. However, as it stands if something of the sorts happens then only the uniformed officer can charge him unless the witnessing officer goes all the way to their precinct or station and adds the charges (both wasting the time of the suspect and his time).

Something that seems to be getting misinterpreted is that whether or not this change happens things will remain exactly the same. If an off-duty officer witnesses anything he will charge that person, it's just a matter of if it takes 10-15 mins to go to a place just so he can charge them or not. 

But hey, if you want to waste your own time go ahead, I'm not the one going to jail anyway.

Edited by Kyle White Raven

22 minutes ago, Kyle White Raven said:

Just to clarify, my suggestion is in no way implying that off-duty LEOs should have access to MDCs everywhere (like on their phones), just that they should be able to log-on without being on-duty through the places you mentioned.

Makes sense then, but what RP do you see coming of this from your side? I can’t think of a time in PD I would have found this useful personally. 

16 minutes ago, Kyle White Raven said:

I don't even know how to respond to this, you're just wrong in terms of how things work right now... LEOs can absolutely enforce the law while off-duty, but their abilities are reduced of course. They can't use the radio so they have to call 911 and they don't have access to any police gear or resources.

If an off-duty officer witnesses a armed robbery, hostage situation, grand theft auto or even gets robbed himself, he should immediately be calling 911. Depending on the situation and it's urgency the officer is able to intervene. If the officer himself is robbed or injured and happens to know the person's name then he can absolutely charge that person. However, as it stands if something of the sorts happens then only the uniformed officer can charge him unless the witnessing officer goes all the way to their precinct or station and adds the charges (both waisting the time of the suspect and his time).

Something that seems to be getting misinterpreted is that whether or not this change happens things will remain exactly the same. If an off-duty officer witnesses anything he will charge that person, it's just a matter of if it takes 10-15 mins to go to a place just so he can charge them or not. 

But hey, if you want to waste your own time go ahead, I'm not the one going to jail anyway.

If this is how you roleplay your character, I can very well claim that it's borderline powergaming/non-roleplay.

I've regularly seen cops attend parties off-duty, drinking, and having fun. However, in your world view, those cops would be able to arrest someone for a crime, hop in a cruiser, and sentence them to prison and immense fines, while wearing shorts and vodka on their breath, because, "this is what the handbook says".

Off-duty officer testimony does not carry the same weight as an on-duty one, because of that accountability that I described above. An on-duty officer's actions are very often easily accounted for through his tracking by dispatcher, and in certain jurisdictions by mandatory bodycameras.

You trying to join off-duty and on-duty powers is like I said before borderline NonRP. Just because the script allows you to charge people doesn't mean it would realistically happen, and should something like what you described above ever occur on the server, I'd encourage the victim to make a player report, as the play to win mentality exhibited by the cop is outright silly.

I know for a fact you can not speak for the Sheriffs Department, so maybe we can have some input from Wallace, Osborne or Fain, because if this is truly how you guys conduct your affairs, change may be required, on your side, not the script.

Your snide comment at the end of "waste your own time, I'm not the one going to jail" is further evidence of your appalling attitude.

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zion Willard said:

Makes sense then, but what RP do you see coming of this from your side? I can’t think of a time in PD I would have found this useful personally. 

I've been in situations where I was the witnessing officer to a crime. According to regulations the witnessing officer should be the one applying charges so in case of an IA report the transporting officer that applied the charges I told him to doesn't get ''fucked''. 

In my case, this required me to go all the way up to Paleto Bay just to sign-in and add the charges, wasting the suspect's time for about 10-15 mins when he was only getting a 50 min jail sentence. With the above implemented I could have simply RP'ed logging into the MDC at Mission Row, DOC or a fellow officer's cruiser, RP'ly using my account and then adding charges on the spot, which from an RP point of view kinda makes sense to me since you know your log-in and password. Whether you are scriptly wearing a uniform shouldn't realistically prevent you from logging into a computer with your credentials 😛

+1

I think if it is implemented, it would be a great idea because realistically they should be allowed to log into the MDC even when off-duty.

58 minutes ago, MrSilky said:

+1 but there would need to be internal faction rules to stop abusing it off duty.

As mentioned, there would have to be rules revolving around it so it can not be abused. This would also tie in with OOC Corruption if it is being abused.

However..

Even if it is not added, it's just more time wasted for the suspect in custody. So meh. Still get paid. 😆

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alexalex303 said:

If this is how you roleplay your character, I can very well claim that it's borderline powergaming/non-roleplay.

I've regularly seen cops attend parties off-duty, drinking, and having fun. However, in your world view, those cops would be able to arrest someone for a crime, hop in a cruiser, and sentence them to prison and immense fines, while wearing shorts and vodka on their breath, because, "this is what the handbook says".

Off-duty officer testimony does not carry the same weight as an on-duty one, because of that accountability that I described above. An on-duty officer's actions are very often easily accounted for through his tracking by dispatcher, and in certain jurisdictions by mandatory bodycameras.

You trying to join off-duty and on-duty powers is like I said before borderline NonRP. Just because the script allows you to charge people doesn't mean it would realistically happen, and should something like what you described above ever occur on the server, I'd encourage the victim to make a player report, as the play to win mentality exhibited by the cop is outright silly.

I know for a fact you can not speak for the Sheriffs Department, so maybe we can have some input from Wallace, Osborne or Fain, because if this is truly how you guys conduct your affairs, change may be required, on your side, not the script.

Your snide comment at the end of "waste your own time, I'm not the one going to jail" is further evidence of your appalling attitude.

I fear you're the one getting caught up in this suggestion. 

''I've regularly seen cops attend parties off-duty, drinking, and having fun. However, in your world view, those cops would be able to arrest someone for a crime, hop in a cruiser, and sentence them to prison and immense fines, while wearing shorts and vodka on their breath, because, "this is what the handbook says".''

This is a pure straw man of what was said. In no place in this thread have I ever suggested that off-duty officers should be able to '' arrest someone for a crime, hop in a cruiser, and sentence them to prison and immense fines'' or anything remotely similar. 

I very specifically said that transporting and handling of suspects is only to be done by on-duty officers. My point is that if you are in fact a witness to a crime, as an officer you are told to add charges yourself. If you disagree with this you are disagreeing with what the PD and SD handbook say. 

As for the ''borderline Non-RP'' comment I won't address it. 

My ''snide'' comment was an attempt to demonstrate that whether or not you agree with the suggestion, the underlying issue you have will remain regardless. I didn't think it could be interpreted as offensive, that is something I try and avoid on the forums. I don't appreciate your ''appalling attitude'' comment, you have no insight on who I am as a person let alone enough to judge my ''attitude'', to reach such lengths over a suggestion seems hypocritical to me.

Anyways, I do not wish to derail the conversation anymore. Feel free to ask for clarifications like @Zion Willard, vote or comment.

Edited by Kyle White Raven

10 minutes ago, Kyle White Raven said:

I very specifically said that transporting and handling of suspects is only to be done by on-duty officers. My point is that if you are in fact a witness to a crime, as an officer you are told to add charges yourself. If you disagree with this you are disagreeing with what the PD and SD handbook say. 

isn't the handbook to help you with things on duty tho? A least the ones I've read through are.  

Even though I am PD and I get where you are coming from I do not see this as working. While yes you would still have the login and password there are regulations in place (IRL) preventing you from doing stuff like that off-duty. Yes you do still have access to it for things like filing reports and things of that nature, but off-duty police cannot place charges, they can only detain.

An example. I have the login and password to my States EOC for use during state emergencies. I also have the login and password to many US Government systems I need for work. But I cannot access them when I am at home, as there are regulations preventing me from doing so. Can I login from my house? Ya I can for most things, but there are regulations in place preventing me.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, reeceobz said:

isn't the handbook to help you with things on duty tho? A least the ones I've read through are.  

You are correct, but it also includes regulations like not using radio while off-duty unless you are command and some other things that apply to when you are off-duty. 

For example: What I am talking about is with regards to relaying witnesses, these are officers who are either on or off duty and have directly witnessed a crime happening. Through these witnesses people can be charged, but as mentioned before, whoever saw it take place should be the one placing charges so they can be easily identified if a rule is broken or an IA report is filled. 

The objective with my suggestion is so that this can be done quickly to avoid wasting suspect time, which in my mind makes sense seeing as there should be no roleplay reason preventing me from doing this as access to MDC is conditional on you having a log-in and password and not whether you are on-duty or off-duty.

1 minute ago, Asiantator said:

Even though I am PD and I get where you are coming from I do not see this as working. While yes you would still have the login and password there are regulations in place (IRL) preventing you from doing stuff like that off-duty. Yes you do still have access to it for things like filing reports and things of that nature, but off-duty police cannot place charges, they can only detain.

An example. I have the login and password to my States EOC for use during state emergencies. I also have the login and password to many US Government systems I need for work. But I cannot access them when I am at home, as there are regulations preventing me from doing so. Can I login from my house? Ya I can for most things, but there are regulations in place preventing me.

Sure I get where you are coming from, I wouldn't know how these things work IRL, I was just thinking more about convenience for LEOs and Suspects. If my suggestion was accepted the locations at which I can still access the MDC remain the same.

1 minute ago, Kyle White Raven said:

Sure I get where you are coming from, I wouldn't know how these things work IRL, I was just thinking more about convenience for LEOs and Suspects. If my suggestion was accepted the locations at which I can still access the MDC remain the same.

So IRL the MDC has whats called an Aircard. It allows the Laptop to connect to mobile networks anywhere and runs off the FIRST network in most agencies. But IRL most agencies allow their workers to take their vehicles home with them, meaning the have access to their MDC. While it would make sense to be able to access MDC from anywhere, placing charges would not be realistic IMO. Access, yes, but charges, no.

Would be nice to be able to take home my cruiser tho...

• Like 1

I think everyone is missing the point here. 'On duty' on the server = /fduty (unlocking script access to police stuff). What OP is suggesting is that regardless of your /fduty status, you can still login to the MDC to assist on-duty police conduct their work should you be requested/required to do so. It is always better for the primary witness (off-duty officer in this case) to apply the charge.

I understand everyone's counter arguments, but this isn't suggesting to give off-duty cops more privileges, it's simply to allow cops to use the computer be they in uniform or not which RPly they would be able to do as you do not forget how to use a PC when you leave work. As I said, It would need strict internal rules but it is something I would like to see changed.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.