kenichis

Shotguns in Gun Stores

Yes I do realize that this will encourage criminals but hear me out.

Alright, my suggestion is that Shotguns / hunting rifles should be sold at weapon stores. Why? Because its that common for weapon stores to sell rifles in (at-least some states) America. Game hunting should have specific large game (deers / moose) that requires rifles to hunt and claim trophies. Right now theres no legal way to own weapons besides pistols if you’re a civilian, these rifles should only be sold with a specific permit and can only be bought 1 every few days / weeks (to prevent illegal sale). Other than that rifles should only be allowed to be used outside city boundaries much like real life. So you wont be seeing people carrying rifles in the middle of the city and not get in trouble.

Overall its just an idea I came up with on the top of my head. Let me know if you agree or disagree and to what degree. Cheers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Freclan said:

-1 Big no no. Cops are meant to have an advantage over criminals, that's no secret, if this happens every criminal relatively easy access to a very strong shotgun. I think about 1% of people who would buy shotguns and rifles would use it for the reasons you've listed.

Thats why I said it should be very strict. You must have a clear reason to own one and must be able to RP as such (in the application form you must be able to write a convincing story of why you would want one). You must already own a PF license first for quite some time before getting an "extended" license that allows for shotguns.

I'm not asking for auto rifles or semi auto shotguns. I only said hunting rifles which are either bolt action or semi auto and pump shotguns.

16 minutes ago, Tezhl said:

I would say +1 to muskets but not shotguns

I actually don't know if muskets exists in the base game though.

• Like 1

It makes sense. Hunting rifles and shotguns are not concealable and are not necessarily made for home defense. That's why you can buy them at Walmarts.
People will say it will cause RP issues. The RP issue is not allowing people to buy/own these weapons when they're more used for recreation than any sort of crime.
You make a mistake in your OP, it does not encourage criminals, what encourages criminals is having monopoly on gun market @post above.

• Upvote 1

+1 but there should be other things added to ensure people don't just resell them. There should be a lengthy application process (including practical testing), you should have to check the weapon in weekly at the police station, or report it stolen immediately if lost. Failing to do any of these would result in your permit being removed and house *possibly* raided by the police. This should be a feature that is easy to comply with as a civilian but difficult/impossible as a criminal.

• Upvote 1

Big -1 from me

Coming from a criminal standpoint I find it very unfair to all the Official Factions that had to work to be able to import weapons like shotguns. Hunting rifles are indeed sold at basically any super store in the U.S., i.e. Walmart, but in terms of the server I strongly believe that would have a negative impact on the Quality of Life. Even if licensed legal individual could purchase them, it would be still be abused and more likely than not, result in terrible change in the Criminal vs. PD that tends to bring out that type of weaponry. 

Civilians in this server should not be able to purchase shotguns. The ability to have a legal shotgun would make the job for PD/SD more difficult, imagine trying to find out whether it's use for Hunting or criminal activities, there'd be no way of knowing their intention.

Even if this were to be implemented, you basically put Civilians on the same weaponized level as PD, SD, and major gangs, at that point, it would only be fair if the arsenal that the Official Factions import from gets expanded as well.

Edited by DetectiveStone

23 minutes ago, DetectiveStone said:

Big -1 from me

Coming from a criminal standpoint I find it very unfair to all the Official Factions that had to work to be able to import weapons like shotguns. Hunting rifles are indeed sold at basically any super store in the U.S., i.e. Walmart, but in terms of the server I strongly believe that would have a negative impact on the Quality of Life. Even if licensed legal individual could purchase them, it would be still be abused and more likely than not, result in terrible change in the Criminal vs. PD that tends to bring out that type of weaponry. 

Civilians in this server should not be able to purchase shotguns. The ability to have a legal shotgun would make the job for PD/SD more difficult, imagine trying to find out whether it's use for Hunting or criminal activities, there'd be no way of knowing their intention.

Even if this were to be implemented, you basically put Civilians on the same weaponized level as PD, SD, and major gangs, at that point, it would only be fair if the arsenal that the Official Factions import from gets expanded as well.

An impact on your quality of life you mean? If you were neutral on the matter you would not worry about law abiding citizens owning firearms.
You're a criminal, belonging to an organization or a gang. You want people to go through you for their firearms. Some people though are not criminals and want to obtain their firearms legally, and live that non criminal lifestyle. A rifle or a shotgun does not require the owner to hold a CCW license. It can be bought granted no felonies on record. How many regular citizens have a felony on their record? Your claim on this playing to criminal v police mentality is not applicable.

Edited by dude24990

2 minutes ago, dude24990 said:

An impact on your quality of life you mean? If you were neutral on the matter you would not worry about law abiding citizens owning firearms.
You're a criminal, belonging to an organization or a gang. You want people to go through you for their firearms. Some people though are not criminals and want to obtain their firearms legally, and live that non criminal lifestyle. A rifle or a shotgun does not require the owner to hold a CCW license. It can be bought granted no felonies on record. How many regular citizens have a felony on their record? Your claim on this playing to criminal v police mentality is not applicable.

In the US, sure you don't need a concealed carry license to buy a hunting rifle, but this is still GTA, this is a game. People will camp gun stores, people will camp hunting grounds. There would be no stopping criminals from just adapting to robbing hunters. Adding more shotguns into the server would be more chaos. They should already be difficult to obtain because of how much damage they do. 

I hear you when you say there are law abiding citizens, I think a Musket or something like that could be more appropriate, maybe one that did less damage to players and more to animals. 

Im here for the RP, I'm not so greedy as to want people to go through me to get their weaponry. I think it is fair though, to assume that adding shotguns to legals would have a large impact on how illegals get weapons of that caliber.

• Upvote 1

There's good reason to allow citizens access to heavier weaponry. Why should someone who works hard to maintain his legal status be at a disadvantage to criminals? In the US you're allowed to arm yourself in ways that put you on equal footing with your attackers and so forth, Gangs have the numbers, the arsenal, and the lack of moral obligation to pick on anyone they see fit. The stance that criminals are heavily armed is the actual reason why Law Abiding citizens should be able to purchase and own long barreled firearms.

Otherwise, you're just purposely keeping Civilians nerfed, allowing gangs to rein over them, perpetuating the cops v robbers mentality that has blanketed over this RP server. If civilians can't even defend themselves, what's the point of being civilian? You're being pushed into being a criminal just to not get picked on, and for reasons I think are more revolving around the organizations of Santos's entitlement to be above the regular citizen, owning the market, keeping their firepower above that of the citizen.

The musket is a must. Legally, and morally it's not appropriate to hunt game with a CCW firearm. Speaking through RP terms, it shows a lack of understanding of what a firearm is in the real world, it's effect and it's use as a tool. Offering the tools to criminals to attack at full capacity, but not civilians to defend in the same manner shows a lack of an attempt at balance in the server, between civilians and criminals, and that's just my outlook on it.

Edited by dude24990

8 hours ago, DetectiveStone said:

As I said in the original post, you wouldn't be able to just buy unlimited amounts of shotguns using a license. You can only buy 1 or at max 2 after quite some time. I also said that you shouldn't be allowed to carry and definitely not fire a rifle in the city. You should only be allowed to use them in Blaine County and outside places like LS or Paleto.

I don't think that this will put civilians on the same level as Law factions or Official gangs. Keep in mind Official gangs can import automatic weapons aswell and so can Law factions. I also think that the price to buy a legal rifle should be much more expensive (paperwork etc.) than to buy an illegal imported one, to balance things out.

Makes sense IRL.

Does not make sense for eclipse:

1) You can hunt effectively with just a knife. Rifles arent required.

2) Rifles and Shotguns will be used as self defense by civilians, making the already chaotic and unrealistic crim vs civ RP even more GTAO-like. Criminals should have the advantage over civs in a typical holdup, civs whipping out shotguns and rifles shouldnt be the norm.

3) Not a fan of random restriction (talking about disabling guns in the city). Not to mention if a crim fairly steals one of these, it now doesnt wotk in the city? Makes no sense.

4) It is already a norm that nearly 100% of civs carry pistols. Even in Texas this is unrealistic. Even when I was stationed outside an Army base in tennesse, I saw MAYBE 1 in 20 civilians carry pistols....usually in the glove box. We dont need every civilian toting shotguns now too.

It would be great if ONLY a few people did it, and it was restricted to just a few for realism sake. But thats just not a realistic outcome. Every civilian will apply, many will buy them as often as possible, and it will turn into another way for heavies to flood the streets. The same way pistols float around the server like candy now.

Edited by Jasmine
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jasmine said:

3) Not a fan of random restriction (talking about disabling guns in the city). Not to mention if a crim fairly steals one of these, it now doesnt wotk in the city? Makes no sense.

What I meant is lawfully, as far as I know you're not allowed to carry rifles in the city and not allowed to shoot unless a distance away from settlements.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.