idid

Judicial Sytem

We currently have a system of law enforcement in place to protect and serve the streets of Los Santos; to protect those that are inherently incapable of abiding by the laws of the city.  However, we do not have a system in place for those accused to be represented and to plea their case.

I asked in the discord if we had a system in place like this and was told I should post here.

What I am proposing is a judicial system that allows players to be represented and to pursue grievances they may have.  This will allow the police to focus on crime and not petty things.  It will also hold the police accountable for how they investigate crimes.  

Can we get a judicial system in place with appointed judges?  Players should have the ability to defend themselves from the police or other players.  Whether it's a serious crime being defended or simply an ambulance chaser.  This is an element I think should be implemented.  

• Like 4

There is a government faction already somewhat sctipted in game, and the other day i saw that they were looking for people who know law or are studying law to help them build the faction up. So i believe this is something they are already working on. 

• Like 1

For a system like this, the prison times need to increase dramatically, like 24 hours or more. It would make very little sense for one to a few officers, plus one to a few suspects, plus their lawyers, judges, etc to spend hours to try a case, just for the person to get a 1 and half hour sentence (max with VIP).

There are also a lot of game-related problems to this, that I addressed in @Kyle White Raven's thread. But all in all, the current climate doesn't support this. If you want more realism, start with prison times, robbing in the middle of busy streets, and other more basic changes before moving into a full fledged legal system.

2 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

For a system like this, the prison times need to increase dramatically, like 24 hours or more. It would make very little sense for one to a few officers, plus one to a few suspects, plus their lawyers, judges, etc to spend hours to try a case, just for the person to get a 1 and half hour sentence (max with VIP).

There are also a lot of game-related problems to this, that I addressed in @Kyle White Raven's thread. But all in all, the current climate doesn't support this. If you want more realism, start with prison times, robbing in the middle of busy streets, and other more basic changes before moving into a full fledged legal system.

24 hours is a little excessive especially when there isnt much to do in jail atm but i do agree that if you want a trial the tradeoff is that you will get more time in jail if found guilty. Maybe have it have a min of 4 hours and a max of 8

• Like 2

At the end of the day, while a Department of Justice and court roleplay can provide very enjoyable and engaging stories and enforces accountability for your actions (civilian or police), the flaw is that punishments for crimes are normally very minor. No matter what kind of crimes you commit, you only end up serving a couple of hours in prison.

In a real life situation, if the police have a warrant for your arrest or a valid reason based on probable cause or reasonable suspicion they can arrest and detain you for 72 hours without filing charges. Obviously we're not trying to perfectly emulate real life and the LSPD aren't going to hold somebody without charges for an extended period of time; after placing the charges you are immediately sent to prison.

If a court system were in place then it would be necessary to have a judge, criminal defence lawyer, and police prosecutor available at the time of arrest in order to have a trial. In the event that one of these are not available, a court date would need to be organised and then a decision would need to be made on the suspect.

Depending on the suspect and their alleged crimes, it may be acceptable to release them on bail. While released on bail they may be required to avoid contact with certain people, stay away from certain locations, and check in with police.

If the suspect has committed a serious offence, has previously broken the terms of bail, been convicted of a serious felony, are unlikely to turn up for court, or are likely to commit a crime while on bail then they cannot be released on bail. At this point does the suspect serve a full sentence, get released after a couple of hours, then go to court in a few days?

If a judge determines that the suspect is innocent, but they have already been fined and served time in prison, will the LSPD be responsible for reimbursing the fine on top of a payment for false imprisonment?

If the suspect is deemed guilty, will they just be released due to time served or is there extra fines and imprisonment added on top?

There is also the consideration of having and selecting members of the jury, which is very difficult when there are so many criminals on the server.

• Like 2

Armalife had a jurdicial system, but it was only applied to serious crimes(murder, terrorism, bank robbery, etc.). It also functioned with one DA and assistant DA. With anyone willing to pass the "bar exam" being able to become public defenders. So you could model the system somewhat like that.(source, I was the DA on my server)

From past experiences in RP in other games with judicial elements and working on a MMO(in development) with them, it is a nightmare to make anything actually time efficient and worth while.

The first issue that has to be addressed is the criteria that needs to be met to even start a court case. Every single crime can't lead to a court case, it's just not feasible or practical otherwise everyone involved will spend hours upon hours waiting just to even get in the court room. Obviously a full standard would need developed to decide what is worthy of being in court. You then need people to review the matter to see if it meets that standard. Next you'll need all parties involved to be on at the same time just to start the case.

Honestly the best way to implement a court system is with a multi-tier approach. Each tier would need a name 

Low Court - Deals with minor situations (contesting minor jail sentences, minor civil disputes(under 25k), tickets/fines, etc)

Middle Court - Deals with major situations (contesting major jail sentences, major civil disputes(25k-100k), etc)

High Court- Deals with highly volatile situations (corruption of government officials, civil disputes(100k+), etc

With those three tiers, you can divide and conquer most issues more easily. Low Court could have a single judge presiding and have cases come in without appointments. Middle Court could have 3 judges and require an appointment. High court could have a judge and a jury(have fun getting random unbiased people to show up and hear the whole case) and obviously require a lot of planning for appointments.

It really all comes down to how many players want to play the waiting game and how long will they wait.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.