BellamyJames

Why I'm Leaving Eclipse

Me writing this is going to be unnecessary because the vocal majority of people here are internet trolls who get off on this kind of stuff...

I had the displeasure of going through the eclipse discord with the goal of blocking anyone who's been homophobic in the chat, calling each other gay as an insult. For some reason OOC Insults don't count if it's homophobic which says a lot about how the community is ran... I was happy just blocking out the toxic until I realized how many comments like that were made by NBDY himself. I don't want to play on a server that only rallies around certain folks who have connections.

I don't care if things change, I was hoping that a white-listed server would be more focused on RP instead of being internet trolls but you can only ask so much of people. I do hope SOME of you consider what your toxic behavior means in the long run, if you ever have a kid that comes out to you, or a best friend. This game has thousands of players with access to the discord, majority of them young who haven't gotten themselves or life figured out yet and then have to come online and read comments that make them feel like who they are is wrong. This is not an isolated incident, it's the reason I quit Weazel News and ECRP Staff because I know the problems go all the way up the chain and don't just stop at regular players. 

People have a limited time to come on and play video games, why be bothered to play somewhere that is just going to act like this. 

Don't bother commenting with your trolling behavior, This is the last time I'll be logging onto the forums. 

• Like 3

I never met you IC but sorry to see you go, especially over this. Personally I've found that people take advantage of the freedom of IC chat to be unnecessarily homophobic/racist/sexist in non-RP ways anyway, so really disappointed to hear that your experience of OOC platforms has been so bad

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, heartgg said:

This is just something I and many others expect from online anonymous communities... I don’t even know if it will ever change.

Well nothing changes until people do something about it, and it's the community managers who have the power to make these changes to try and make their communities more inclusive and tolerant

• Like 1

Fair enough for taking a stand and not just complaining about it, I think there is probably room to joke with people when sensitive subjects come up with friends because not everyone finds the same things offensive but obviously if it's a complete stranger then it's different. 

Best of luck.

"I use to think my life was a tragedy, but I learned it's really Comedy." Life is not meant to be taken too seriously. Life in all sense is a pun to a bad joke. How you keep happy is by laughing at it and never hold onto anything.

Edited by Tezhl
  • Like 2

The comments on this thread...big yikes.

As a hardcore RP server, I think we should allow all sorts of different characters and speech to take place, it makes the server unique, but even when this is the case we recognize that not everyone might be comfortable with the roleplay which is why we have such clauses pertaining to racism.

BOe6ViG.png

Source: 

Even in-game, admins understand that people might get offended, especially when it comes to racism, torture/rape play, and ERP. So to see that people are OOC'ly using derogatory terms in a public discord is shameful, to say the least.

Now, don't get me wrong, If I am with close friends and I know we're cool and no one is racist or homophobic then sure, I'll throw around the occasional homophobic or racist slur and I do so because they know I use it as the usual gamer substitute to ''Idiot, Stupid, Bro, etc...'', but the KEY DIFFERENCE is that I use it in PRIVATE, not a public discord with hundreds of strangers that I do not know.

The defense that ''Bro it's just the internet 4head, Just get over it 4head'' is very weird to me considering that we are apart of one of the biggest, if not THE biggest English speaking GTA 5 RP server. This isn't uncensored 4chan or 8ch, this is a platform that advertises itself as a hardcore RP server and that has a very competent staff team that should be able to very easily implement rules that punish individuals using racial, homophobic and other bigotted slurs in a public OOC chat (Including Discord/TS/Faction/Gang, etc...)

If you want to use the term ''faggot, nigger, coon, gay, retard, autistic, etc...'' then do it in a private chat with people who you know won't mind it, it isn't that hard and it could go a long way in us becoming a community that accepts everyone and shows restraint in public chats.

Go crazy (to a reasonable degree) with your RP, if your character uses these words then so be it, but also know that what you are saying can sometimes be offensive (even if you think that words cANt bE OffEnSIve), which is why we should stop using these words OOC'ly and we should accommodate anyone who expresses discomfort In-game, it takes very little effort and the outcome is well worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Kyle White Raven
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.