tigerpet15

Police overusing tasers

Hello, I would like to adress an issue with police overusing tasers 🙂

The problem

• Police overuse tasers - Cops with the slightest sign of resistance they just fire a taser what in my opinion kills any further rolplay. Simply with no offense if cops doesnt like something he tase you and ignore the realism.

• There is no slow animation for taking out a taser so cops are able to fire them almost instantly while noone have chaance to react

• The current usage of tasers is unrealistic - I believe its really unrealistic to be able to shoot taser shots several times in quick succession. Most proffesional police tasers have only two shots after which the taser needs to be reloaded, also in real life cops need to annouce firing a taser. And there should be prolongued active resistance and ineffective other methods to deescalate/get the situation under control.

• Foot chases are impossible - its impossible to have an on foot chase cause its ended in few seconds by a taser (like you have no chance of getting away on foot when you have five cops chasing after you shooting tasers every few seconds) especially when we have new tackle animation which is used only when messing around with your friends

• There is no possibility of buying a taser as a civilian - IRL you dont need gun license anything to buy it 

Solution

I believe the usage of Tasers by cops should be drastically reduced and nerfed. As a sollution I offer these points:

• There should be added the prolonged animation of taking out your taser (similar to one used for guns)

• We should limit the use of taser by being able to scriptly fire two taser shot in short succession and after then a 30 seconds reload animation would need to be preformed.

• The use of tasers should be allowed only after 5 minutes (or more) of actively resisting - IRL tasers are used a lot less and after prolongued period of time of resisting an arrest also officers can try less evasive methods with me/do like tackling someone down and rply trying to force susspects hands behind his back to cuff him which promotes more RP

• The use of taser should be announced with "taser taser taser" like IRL while giving suspects a chance to react 

• There should be prohibited use of tasers during on foot chases - because we have tackle animation which can be used and yeah I believe on foot chases can be a lot of fun and can promote more RP, not like every foot chase being ended with 5 cops firing tasers on you every few seconds. IRL its quiet common to have on foot chases with no use of tasers.

• Taser should be less accurate - IRL tasers are innacurate weapons also bith electrodes needs to hit target and since they are quiet light the wind can easily change their direction.

• Civilians should be able to buy tasers without a gun license - IRL anyone can buy taser and yeah there should be a grade lower taser than PD/SD have (shorter range for example/one shot) but they should be able to purchase them (we would need some rule which would prevent trolling with them etc.)

Thanks for reading and thanks for any further comments/opinions/suggestions

Edited by tigerpet15
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cops with the slightest sign of resistance they just fire a taser what in my opinion kills any further rolplay
   - True

Cops are able to fire them almost instantly while noone have chaance to react
   - False. They have an animation just like any other firearm

I believe its really unrealistic to be able to shoot taser shots several times in quick succession. Most proffesional police tasers have only two shots after which the taser needs to be reloaded, also in real life cops need to annouce firing a taser
   - You are correct. They do kind of kill the RP and in my opinion they should be used mostly against those who do not want to RP realistically.

Its impossible to have an on foot chase cause its ended in few seconds by a taser especially when we have new tackle animation which is used only when messing around with your friends
   - I wouldn't want to tackle a dude that has a knife to be honest. If you have a weapon, they will use tasers cause a knife can stun lock and kill a cop in seconds.

A lot of the things you mentioned are IC and if you want to change any of those, this is not the place to do it. From an OOC point of view, the animation is fine, I agree that tasers should be a lot less accurate and currently they have insane range. I can see how giving tasers to civilians can become a big problem but if they get nerfed maybe it's doable.

3 minutes ago, TheCactus said:

Cops with the slightest sign of resistance they just fire a taser what in my opinion kills any further rolplay
   - True

Cops are able to fire them almost instantly while noone have chaance to react
   - False. They have an animation just like any other firearm

I believe its really unrealistic to be able to shoot taser shots several times in quick succession. Most proffesional police tasers have only two shots after which the taser needs to be reloaded, also in real life cops need to annouce firing a taser
   - You are correct. They do kind of kill the RP and in my opinion they should be used mostly against those who do not want to RP realistically.

Its impossible to have an on foot chase cause its ended in few seconds by a taser especially when we have new tackle animation which is used only when messing around with your friends
   - I wouldn't want to tackle a dude that has a knife to be honest. If you have a weapon, they will use tasers cause a knife can stun lock and kill a cop in seconds.

A lot of the things you mentioned are IC and if you want to change any of those, this is not the place to do it. From an OOC point of view, the animation is fine, I agree that tasers should be a lot less accurate and currently they have insane range. I can see how giving tasers to civilians can become a big problem but if they get nerfed maybe it's doable.

If someone has a knife there should be further roleplay like pointing gun at him and telling him to surrender when this happens IRL the cops just doesnt fire taser they try to talk the person out of and only if it goes sideways or the situation escalates to extreme this means get used. 

Also to the IC issue. I think it has to do a lot with IC stuff but yeah the IC stuff can be changed with rules/game changes. And I believe this should be considered OOCly too (even asa u said IC parts) because any change which promotes rolplay is a goodchange. 

Never the less thanks for your opinion 🙂

+1 increase charge time, reduce accuracy. Return the rules about not trying to keep running *after* being tased to avoid abuse. But also... maybe introduce some consequence to PD misusing tasers? Cuz yeah... you can get tazed for mouthing off in-game and that can put cops in jail irl

Edited by Soupiestfork
  • Like 1

modify the tazer script so it interacts with the buff/debuff system. some drugs buff your stats, how fast you can run, etc. if you get tazed it should debuff your stats, make you move slower. Making it scriptly supported is far superior than making "you can only get tased 3 times" in the rules.

Don't worry, in a few weeks/months/years, it won't be a taser you get hit with, so there's no really need to change anything taser related, not like half the people you tase RP the effects anyway.

THUNK.

• yooo 1

Foot chases will last forver since everyone runs at the same pace and there is no effective way to stop them from running. Realistically no one is running forever, but on this server you can.

People should only have to get tased once, but since people do not roleplay the effects we are forced to use it multiple times.

Yeah this is one of those suggestions where i can see both sides.

On one hand, yeah, Tasers kill RP. in alot of situations cops wont even entertain whatever youre trying to do and will simply pull out the taser and give you a final warning to leave/comply. because there is no RP consequence or risk to their action, compared to say, pulling out a gun. they make minor interractions with LEOs very samey.

On the other hand, Tasers give cops a way to end chases quickly instead of renacting benny hill, have a long recharge time and you "can" miss with them.

I was really hoping that with the addition of tackling, that there would be a reduction in the amount of tasers being fired. but that's not the case. why would a cop try to tackle someone when they have something infinitely better in their back pocket?

Ultimately I believe the win more mentality is to blame. most people will not risk taking an L. its an individuals choice weather or not they wanna actually try and engage and develop some roleplay or cut it short.

• Like 1

yep, tasers are heavily used as an "i win" button. ive been tazed countless times for the mere fact of being handcuffed and walking around. no running, no trying to fight, just, not immediately complying. I've been tazed repeatedly while already knocked down. never been combative or attempted to fight back, but being spam tazed as a way to abuse the system to prevent movement rather than being interacted with RPly. 

sure, its an IC issue, but its allowed to be this way because tazers are so powerful, and need to be addressed OOCly on rules on how they can be used, or need to be scriptly nerfed heavily.

how to change the tazer:

1. buff it by letting the taser shot effect your characters stats like drugs. some drugs give you bonuses, taser shots should do the opposite, so that every time you're hit with a taser, you lose run speed.

2. nerf the reload and fire rate of tasers. tasers are heavily spammed right now due to their power. reduce their fire rate drastically and increase reload times.

Edited by Demonmit1
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 3:10 PM, Jett_J said:

Foot chases will last forver since everyone runs at the same pace and there is no effective way to stop them from running. Realistically no one is running forever, but on this server you can.

People should only have to get tased once, but since people do not roleplay the effects we are forced to use it multiple times.

+1 to the suggestion.

"Foot chases will last forver since everyone runs at the same pace and there is no effective way to stop them from running. Realistically no one is running forever, but on this server you can." 

Run time is Effected by the run level on the base GTA game, if you are level 1 on gta online/offline and the run skill is low, you can only run for like 10-30 secs  before your health bar goes red and you run slower. i dealt with this when i got my new PC as i didnt have my old game save files on it

"there is no effective way to stop them from running."

think this comes down to IC things, have one chasing on foot and a 2nd in a car going around, cutting them off then do the tackle thingy.

10 hours ago, ltsChubby said:

+1 to the suggestion.

"Foot chases will last forver since everyone runs at the same pace and there is no effective way to stop them from running. Realistically no one is running forever, but on this server you can." 

Run time is Effected by the run level on the base GTA game, if you are level 1 on gta online/offline and the run skill is low, you can only run for like 10-30 secs  before your health bar goes red and you run slower. i dealt with this when i got my new PC as i didnt have my old game save files on it

"there is no effective way to stop them from running."

think this comes down to IC things, have one chasing on foot and a 2nd in a car going around, cutting them off then do the tackle thingy.

Almost everyone has downloaded the 100% game save from the ECRP discord so they have max stamina.

You can use cars to cut people off but a lot of the time you just end up running them over because of sync and people complain about getting ran over. If you aren't stationary it is super easy to dodge a tackle if you have any awareness.

Edited by Jett_J

On 3/16/2024 at 5:10 AM, Jett_J said:

Well In that case it would be interesting to see change to stamina to promote on foot chases. As for the taser effects yeah people doesnt RP it often because its so overused ID like the wording of a win button for cops and there are lot of power hungry cops which use it just to win and not to RP

On 3/27/2024 at 12:24 AM, Bala said:

"As for the taser effects yeah people doesnt RP it often because its so overused"

No, they don't RP it very often because they want to get away more than they want to do the arrest roleplay. 😅

Like yeah. Even if you wanted to RP fun way How to resist it would get killed by getting tased

unfortunately every gta character runs at the same pace, and there is no way to change it, So if you start running first, there is no way for us to catch up with you to even attempt to use the new tackle mechanic. And As many other users have mentioned, the after affects of a tazer are almost never RPed meaning that LEO's may have to use them more than they would like to have to on suspects.

As someone who does LEO's and Crim, I do feel like tasers are a bit powerful and do kill roleplay a lot of the time, but at the same time they are very necessary when dealing with the general populace of crims, As someone said above the W mentality on this server runs rampant and is the main issue for a lot of problems in this server.

From an LEO standpoint, I typically only tend to "spam" tase someone who's just being salty and refusing to RP. Unfortunately that tends to be way more then it should be on an RP server. I do feel like taking away the fact that people have to RP effects of a taser was a mistake. This now just results in salty cirms, or trolls just dragging out an arrest for as long as possible with little to no RP, just running and ignoring RP. At this point, there's VERY little to do from the LEO's side besides just keep tasing them. Unless they decide to become violent which results in guns. Some people will do this on purpose just to get shot and drag out the situation even more by forcing LEO's to take them to the hospital over and over until they feel they've annoyed LEO's enough, or die to get out of the charges. There's also the blatantly ignoring RP route, to which some LEO's will just force drag or carry them. However, this is still looked down upon and see a lot of LEO's refusing to do it cause they don't want to deal with the whining and report wars that typically come along with it. So the option left outside of these two situations is tase till compliance, or pretend to be super incompetent as a cop and the person gets away. If you're someone serious about your LEO career then the second option looks very bad on you.

From a crim standpoint, as someone who does still RP the effects tasers (most of the time), It is really frustrating when I am simply trying to RP some resistance and some LEO that refuses to entertain anything outside of what they want can just pull out their taser and spam tase me until I comply. Realistically most people that get arrested  as much as we do as crims on this server (in relation to real life of course as no ones gonna be arrested 100+ times) tend to go two ways. They're a career criminal who focuses on effectively keeping their charges as low as possible when caught, often refusing to talk at all and lawyering up to fight any charges they can, which as crims we don't get to do on this server. Then there's the other side where they fight tooth and nail until they somehow manage to get away, or tire themselves out. A lot LEO's don't tend to not like either side of this coin from my experience, most preferring to take their W, process you and move on as quickly as possible. Thus the spam tase comes whenever they can't do that while they progressively get more annoyed at you till they can throw you off to DOC or it turns OOC.

Ultimately the problems stems from the W mentality on the server, however some changes to tasers I feel could make this a lot less of an issue and feel more fair on both sides. I like the Idea someone mentioned above that tasers should have to be reloaded after a certain number of shots. I also feel that they shouldn't have unlimited ammo. Like IRL LEO's should have to carry cartridges on them to reload the taser. This would make missing a taser shot actually mean something from the criminals point of view as they now have a chance to actually make some distance if a LEO misses their taser shots. On the other hand as mentioned above, tasers can work off the buff/debuff system where if you are hit with tasers, you lose stats OR wellness. Once your stats or wellness get too low you effectively become incapacitated, (essentially leaving you at the free will of the LEO's at that point). This could work like instead of the injured state, there's a new state of passing out where your character falls to the ground and your screen turns black (losing vision). I'm not a dev and by no means know how easy this would be to implement, however i've seen it done on other servers where it seems to work out pretty well in keeping the fun aspect on both sides.

What if there was a longer taser 'reload timer', but the tradeoff is that upon getting tased, the character is limited to the injured anim / speed for like 1-2 minutes. That would severely hamper crims being able to just get up and run off again, and also puts less pressure on LEOs to tase as soon as possible because it would be a lot harder to escape afterward.