HighTV

Persistent Prison: A potential solution to prison RP.

In this post I will attempt to resolve the current stagnant RP that takes place in prison.

In My Opinion prison is stagnant primarily due to its time dilation in conjunction with 'resetting' prisoners upon entry. 
This is simply my opinion on how it could be made more interactive and I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish the same things!

Overall the idea is to make your choices and time inside of prison have a lasting effect on your prison experience.
I encourage anyone to mention their own suggestions below!

Main issues with Prison this post aims to solve:

• Your economy is reset every prison sentence. 

• Gang affiliation/time served means nothing ICly.

• Lack of RP Objectives/Consequences once inside.

Potential solutions:

Persistent economy
My suggestions is that prisoners have 'books' as well as the 500 stamps they enter with.
Stamps can be transferred to your books at 1:1 ratio and visitors can also add to your books from their bank with a 50:1 ratio. Your books would stay on record after your release and become accessible again your next prison sentence. This would open up the poker table as well as create a social-economic dynamic in prison. It makes since that people who have been in prison longer have more economy/value inside. 

Prison Imports 

A fantastic way to give gang affiliates and long time prisoners a distinguishable difference similar to the one they have in real life would be to incorporate an import system that uses the players 'books' to obtain goods that get smuggled into the yard. Such items could be a Knife, radio, or phone. (or my personal favorite; drugs that speed your prison sentence up, because drugs eat away time)

Personal stash-spots 
Giving prisoners a form of storage space that is persistent to their character is an extremely good way to add character development and build a story-line in prison. These stash-spots could be raided by other prisoners members or guards in a search if suspicious. 

Good behavior/Additional punishment
At the moment you can stab people in prison and the guards cannot add more time to your sentence. DOC guards should be able to /strike prison members. Prisoners without a strike could get out a small % earlier for good time and people with strikes would get a slightly increased % time per strike. (These %'s would go off the original punishment so its proportional to the crime)

I encourage anyone to mention their own suggestions or leave comments below!

Edited by HighTV
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 28

+1 I'm sick of going to prison for 6 hours only to just sit there, watch a movie and have no rp interaction at all. At the moment prison is just an afk and dm fest. I would like to input a suggestion of making stamps payout for time more rich since mining in the prison has no real benefit

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

+1 This sounds like a great idea! However, I feel as if the Personal stash-spots would be hard to implement, and I dont see it working out well. The rest of it seems like it would add a lot of interesting RP though.

Edited by S1mples

+1 Make prison great again!

I feel like alot could be improved if mining was actually lucrative-ish. (either increase the value of stamps or increase the amount of stamps generated) Right now it's a waste of time in prison. Would give people more reason to use the poker tables.

Edited by Johhnie_Everdeen
  • Like 2

+1

Been fortunate enough to only visit DOC once and it was actually a decent experience, though I'm well aware that I'm in the very, very small minority in that sense. Prison RP could be just as deep and interesting as RPing outside of prison, and it would be nice to see it improved

Prison is super lame and seem's like a form of OOC punishment.  I don't even RP a criminal and the one time i was in there with my alt i literally fell asleep at the keyboard it was so boring.

+1 to OP there needs to be activities in prison, also maybe a notoriety system for criminals that other people can see. This would also likely enhance law enforcement's RP with the way they would interact with these criminals and provide more things for DOC members.

• Like 1

+1

As the warden of the prison, this is very similar to a lot of things that we have put for for suggestions to developers to improve prison rp. Right now as you said it is mainly fights and afking. When there is no real reward/punishment system in place it is hard to interact with inmates without getting attack of mass nonrp/dm going on. We would love to be able to do more, but currently it's so dependent on who is in prison to what we can actually do.

I like all of these suggestions. We've even put forward ideas such as being able to take "good behavior" inmates out for community service, be able to lower prison time or add it depending on how the person is acting. We definitely would love to see some of these changes happen!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

+1 for more RP objectives and consequences for inmates being scriptly added. This would greatly improve the prison system and give people things to aim for whilst in prison and get more +1 for more RP objectives and consequences for inmates. This would greatly improve the prison system and give people things to aim for whilst in prison and get more of the inmates working together or fighting for actual reasons instead of random DMing. I do have to say though, having players seek out other inmates to cooperate with would also benefit RP in a non-script way.

As for the import/smuggling system, i also really like it. Right now the most common way people get items smuggled in is through a guard not looking at the right part of the screen (previously the chat box saying "Weapons: none") which is very rare and not really a good RP reason for contraband entering the cell block. I could see a way the new turf system coming up could work with something like a smuggling system for the prison for gang members to acquire contraband. Once again, from a non-script point of view, maybe players should try and think about how they can reach the same end-goal of this target RPly such as more people attempting to smuggle in items through visitations, or through RP on their person.

Stash spots could be implemented like the pd/sd/doc evidence locker system but with a smaller inventory for inmates to access inside.

Good and bad behavior implementation would be amazing. The primary issue right now is that even if we had something basic as a reward such as stamps we could give out, they're converted to cash and/or time off so that's limited until that's either scaled appropriately for us to give out or an alternative is implemented. Right now the only way I, a non-corrupt DOC officer, can reward inmates is through praise and food and drink which isn't really rewarding. As for punishments, our only real punishment we can give at DOC is solitary which in my opinion should only be reserved for extreme cases as it's very much an ooc punishment since you're locked away from any other players which makes it an unappealing option. There's very often RP scenarios where I'd love to reward, or punish inmates more but there's no avenue for that right now so I love the ideas proposed here. Even if these specific ones are not implemented, it would be great to see some way to reward or punish inmates.

I'd like to put forward my suggestion of freelance jobs in prison that give stamps like mining does, but can be more RP heavy and can involve officers more such as cleaning, clothes washing, or even recreational activities inmates can spend time doing and earn stamps for and potentially roleplay heavier in. 

Edited by DrPathetic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.