PennyWise13x

Car Maintenance

After the few months I've been in the server I've seen nothing but super cars and low end cars but nothing in between (I see them just not as often as the others).... I work on cars IRL and I've noticed the lack of something important in this server when it comes to cars.. General maintenance and mileage. I see people driving their supers RELIGIOUSLY without having to worry about basic needs that these cars have. So I have some suggestions to make this a little bit more realistic and will push people to drive normal-er cars.

Oil changes - First off IRL, high end cars are EXTREMELY expensive when it comes to a basic oil change, if I'm not mistaken they range from 800-1200 dollars or more.  A synthetic oil change lasts about 5000 miles or 8000 kilometers. After the car has gone over so much on the oil change the engine should seize up and require a mechanic to come and help. This would help add some RP to the mechanics while also detouring people from driving balls to the wall all day without having to worry about what would happen to their car. I'm sure an oil pressure gauge or an oil change interval notice shouldn't be hard to implement.

Mileage - I think there should be a mileage system implemented. I've never seen a high end super car with more than 30k on it, due to maintenance being super expensive (brakes, fluids, filters). And also it takes value from the car itself. The mileage would determine the value of the car (not including mods). Higher mileage means less value because it's well... Used. This would encourage people to have some care when it comes to driving their supers around.

DISCLAIMER: I know I mentioned super cars a lot but this all goes for ALL cars not just supers. 

• Upvote 1

I see where you are going with this and I feel like if it were a server that took vehicles more seriously than just transport from A to B, I'd support it. It's a good suggestion, but I think it probably delves too deep for your average Eclipse player

-1 doesn't really add anything but a headache IMO. Also synthetic oil change here can be done for like 80 dollars. There's already comets allowed to scale mountains which would IRL destroy the car but that's allowed so I don't think maintanence is really worthwhile 

+1. We need more money sinks and I absolutely hate seeing super cars being driven everywhere, especially NonRPly. Super cars should be taken out occasionally to show off and to cruise around, not for everyday driving.

• Like 1

+1

As an automotive machinist and engine builder I could go on all day about maintenance but that's far too much to be incorporated into the server.

The big issue I see is developing a whole database for every single car and balancing everything in terms of maintenance cost vs base price vs a timer for degrading items. On top of that, having performance mods would incur more frequent maintenance causing even more to be developed.

I think the easier play here would be increasing fuel consumption on various vehicles, super cars in real life get really poor mpg/kpl, and increasing repair costs on vehicles. (Also fixing the automatic repairing on vehicles placed in storage so people actually have to go get their cars repaired)

A huge maintenance update might be too shocking and disrupt the flow of the game so having gradually increasing fees/costs to vehicle use will reduce community backlash and offer easy adjustments.

+1 on mileage system. Make sport or super cars cheaper if it has mileage of 10k miles or more. And after 100k miles or more, cars will be harder to start and there will be random stalling. This could make car market really interesting. But what I like best about this idea is that it will upset super car owner aka rich people.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:38 AM, PennyWise13x said:

Mileage - I think there should be a mileage system implemented. I've never seen a high end super car with more than 30k on it, due to maintenance being super expensive (brakes, fluids, filters). And also it takes value from the car itself. The mileage would determine the value of the car (not including mods). Higher mileage means less value because it's well... Used. This would encourage people to have some care when it comes to driving their supers around.

I like the idea of having a wear and tear system for vehicles, I believe it would also be beneficial for the economy if this system did eventually encourage replacement of vehicles after a lot of usage.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:42 PM, DGanja said:

-1 doesn't really add anything but a headache IMO. Also synthetic oil change here can be done for like 80 dollars. There's already comets allowed to scale mountains which would IRL destroy the car but that's allowed so I don't think maintanence is really worthwhile 

Synthetic oil changes for 80 dollars for the average car yes. But if you look into it supers IRL have 10-20 drain plugs compared to the normal 1 plug in normal cars. Also the specialty oil filter and the grade of oil and capacity comes into play.

Like @Wifye said we could go on and on about it.

• Like 1

+1 Super cars or really expensive sports cars should not be used regularly everyday. You would never see someone use a 1969 Porsche 911 (Comet Retro Custom) or other "rare" high end sports cars as a daily driver. The maintenance would be wayyy too high.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.