ash816

Amend the "active warrant" window in the MDC so it doesnt show online players only.

Having spent some time within the legal factions, I believe it would be sensible to change it so the "warrant" section of the MDC so that it does not display only online players.

Both police factions have paperwork sections for warrant reports, it seems easy to accidentally meta / trace those with active warrants considering you know they are online, combined with the fact that when tracing a mobile phone you get feedback as to whether or not the person is online aswell.

I have personally seen someone who has not been around for months, login and have their home stalked within an hour of their return whilst their phone was off the whole time, changing the above should add some difficulty and depth to those investigating wanted fugitives.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, HobGoblin said:

If it showed everyone then we would have 100+ people wanted from years ago

Sounds like something that should be changed as well then. No real reason that someone who hasn't logged in or played for years who is wanted for some insignificant offense to appear alongside people actively playing every day/every other day with an active warrant. 

2 hours ago, ash816 said:

I have personally seen someone who has not been around for months, login and have their home stalked within an hour of their return whilst their phone was off the whole time.

Yeah sounds like what a wanted person would get treated like. Have you tried not getting caught instead of wanting to change the server's scripts?

• Like 2

+1 I don't see an IC reason for having the MDC only display wanted players that are online. It gives those with charges a chance to go about their day potentially undetected. Although, I do agree that players who are inactive for more than X days should be filtered to avoid having LEOs sift through 1000s of inactive names.

• Upvote 1

The idea of the suggestion is to get the MDC worked on, not just say "well it doesn't do that". I'd love to see some updates on the MDC just like I mentioned in the past, when you could use ID in the MDC system to meta charges which could lead to admin punishment. It really never should of been setup to accept ID's as its OOC.

On 11/9/2023 at 4:16 PM, ash816 said:

I have personally seen someone who has not been around for months, login and have their home stalked within an hour of their return whilst their phone was off the whole time, changing the above should add some difficulty and depth to those investigating wanted fugitives.

Who was this? Which officer did this? Was it reported? Why not?

Edited by Victor Einhart

On 11/18/2023 at 12:32 AM, Victor Einhart said:

Well because i know that it seems to be an accepted function of the MDC that people online with Active warrants appear on the list. I was playing my criminal at the time, my friend Buster Grimes logged in and 40 minutes later he had undercovers camping his house though his phone was off the whole time

Doesn't seem reportable that they use a function which has existed a long time in the server, which is why im suggesting it is changed? I do not know what officer(s) it was.

+1. I agree with this, but the specifics will have to be changed. If it showed everyone, I believe the list will be too long and it will show a lot of inactive people. I'm sure there is a way this can be changed on the backend, but I suggest the following. Show all players with active warrants AND have be active in the past 30 days. 

On 11/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, Victor Einhart said:

Hey Einhart! Hope you're having a good day 🙂

Have you ever considered that some people don't like to report others? Just because it wasn't "reported" and there isn't documentation of the occurrence, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Reporting someone for using an in-game mechanic doesn't really seem fair, does it? But if you feel that the in-game mechanic is potentially being abused and could use some editing, a suggestion is the perfect place to find yourself on the forum! Some players in our community don't desire for others to receive punishments, or simply can't be bothered with the time and effort that go into a report, so isn't a nice alternative for a report, a forum suggestion based on things you've observed? 

I don't think we should be promoting report culture in every situation, sometimes it's just not necessary! 🙂 Just because something wasn't reported doesn't mean it didn't happen. We shouldn't attack people on the principle of "your example holds no value because 'was it reported?'."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, idgafashlee said:

Hey Einhart! Hope you're having a good day 🙂

Have you ever considered that some people don't like to report others? Just because it wasn't "reported" and there isn't documentation of the occurrence, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Reporting someone for using an in-game mechanic doesn't really seem fair, does it? But if you feel that the in-game mechanic is potentially being abused and could use some editing, a suggestion is the perfect place to find yourself on the forum! Some players in our community don't desire for others to receive punishments, or simply can't be bothered with the time and effort that go into a report, so isn't a nice alternative for a report, a forum suggestion based on things you've observed? 

I don't think we should be promoting report culture in every situation, sometimes it's just not necessary! 🙂 Just because something wasn't reported doesn't mean it didn't happen. We shouldn't attack people on the principle of "your example holds no value because 'was it reported?'."

I ask this because people make accusations, and in my experience often times they're making it up, exaggerating, or have misunderstood the situation.

If there's a problem, I want to explore the problem and think of a solution. If people refuse to talk about the problem, how can there possibly be a solution? That's the finish line for me, but to get there we need to ask these questions in order to explore the complaints. This isn't "report culture." I can't look into potential problems if I have no knowledge of what's going on.

In this case, there was more going on than just a game mechanic which prompted the response. I actively looked into it thanks to the response to my question. In the interest of avoiding metagaming I can't really get into the precise reason, but there was a reason.

If you want to be condescending, that's a real slap in the face from my perspective. Why should I bother taking people's complaints seriously if that's the response I get?

Edited by Victor Einhart
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Victor Einhart said:

I ask this because people make accusations, and in my experience often times they're making it up, exaggerating, or have misunderstood the situation.

If there's a problem, I want to explore the problem and think of a solution. If people refuse to talk about the problem, how can there possibly be a solution? That's the finish line for me, but to get there we need to ask these questions in order to explore the complaints. This isn't "report culture." I can't look into potential problems if I have no knowledge of what's going on.

In this case, there was more going on than just a game mechanic which prompted the response. I actively looked into it thanks to the response to my question. In the interest of avoiding metagaming I can't really get into the precise reason, but there was a reason.

If you want to be condescending, that's a real slap in the face from my perspective. Why should I bother taking people's complaints seriously if that's the response I get?

I'm sure that everything was in place to go hit this guy as soon as he effectively showed "online" and I would wager this is part of the process that investigators are now used to, why go after /attempt to trace someone who isn't online when you can tell they aren't around.. which is why I think its wrong.

You think that just because there were numerous explosions in a house under his name that explains away the obvious and blatant meta that happened, as soon as he logged on ? To me I still maintain a change is needed. The information is meta, can be handled a plethora of other ways and similar changes have been made to /pm /vpm and telephones so people cant meta whether someone is online or not, not sure why cops, on top of everything else they get, should also get this as a benefit.

+1

A friend of mine also got arrested after being gone for 1-2 months. He told me, he logged in and emmediatly police surrounding his house within 5-10 mins. 

I dont wanna accuse people, so it might have been accidental meta ❤️ 

The MDC should be updated to give crims a chance to atleast attempt to hide, while they have a warrant. Even if there are officers, who wont take a look at the MDC to see wether a player with a warrant is online, there will always be a few who will use it to their advantage.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CelesNebula said:

+1

A friend of mine also got arrested after being gone for 1-2 months. He told me, he logged in and emmediatly police surrounding his house within 5-10 mins. 

I dont wanna accuse people, so it might have been accidental meta ❤️ 

The MDC should be updated to give crims a chance to atleast attempt to hide, while they have a warrant. Even if there are officers, who wont take a look at the MDC to see wether a player with a warrant is online, there will always be a few who will use it to their advantage.

If the script ICly gives you a way to locate someone, is it really metagaming? 

There are ways to hide from the police even if your name is on the warrants list. Last year when a government director was kidnapped for 3 days straight, the police spent countless hours searching for them in every place we could think and still didn't find the kidnappers. If they can hide from police, so can others. You just need to be smart about it. 

In reality, if someone had some serious warrants out for their arrest, there would be traffic cameras, security feeds, new alerts, etc looking out for this person. It wouldn't take long to know if someone had shown there face in town again after being gone awhile. I feel the current warrants list on the MDC is a good compromise to that. Police simply know that someone with arrest warrants is in town, but thats all they know. The rest is up to the police and the suspect to determine if they get caught. 

All that being said, the system is fine as it is, so -1.

Edited by Requiem

It's inherently meta gaming even if it's scriptly possible. I'll use the same example again, MDC used to allow ID instead of name. How would that make sense IC if it's OOC information ? It wouldn't. Same applies here in my opinion. I am strongly against any OOC info being present ICly. It's just asking for someone to use it IC.

Edited by PurplePlant

On 11/20/2023 at 8:16 PM, Requiem said:

If the script ICly gives you a way to locate someone, is it really metagaming? 

Script also allowed ringing someone to see if he's online or not, and it was deemed wrong and was fixed so I dont get your point at all.

+1 to the suggestion.