TripleE

Life Sentence RP and its implications

I personally find it quite bizarre that we as a community, even after establishing a full fledged functional court system, including a functional criminal court with a functional prosecution team, still ask individuals for OOC consent to be able to ICly take their criminal actions that they took towards a potential life sentence.

Note: I agree to the fact that this is considered Alt-RP, and requires Senior Administrator+ approval simply to deter just anyone from even being ABLE to be prosecuted for a life sentence.

Realistically, if someone commits multiple murders in real life and gets caught for it they get sentenced to life in prison. It makes no sense for serial killers, murderers and other die-hard criminals who are prominent in the community to keep killing people over and over and over to simply get away with it by just going to doc for 1 hour (as an example) and leaving simply after doing their time just to go and kill more people again and the cycle repeats. It is not realistic in the slightest. You are not El Chapo.

Essentially, my character can never be safe if someone "hunts" him because the killer will always manage to get out of prison, the only way to get out of this cycle is for my character to be killed (NLR) which is way less realistic as prosecutors IRL dont get killed for prosecuting people (99% of the time).

Recently, an individual within the community life sentenced their character after establishing them to be a serial killer and after LENGTHY and DEEP character progression and escalation as well as approval from Senior Admins+, stood on trial for the crimes they have committed and have been charged with a life sentence.

To sum it up, in my opinion, I think if someone chooses to take their character that path and to do these things prominently and actively, they should be punished icly for their actions, I dont agree with the "asking for OOC permission" part of this type of RP, it makes no sense for someone to ask oocly to be able to hold them accountable icly for their actions, this type of RP can encourage creative, lengthy and detailed criminal RP too.

• NAY 5
  • Confused 3

Strongly disagree, this would not only affect criminals who just log on to play the game. It would also affect LEO's as the more characters serving lifetime sentences, the less people to roleplay with as an LEO.

At the end of the day, this is a game and people shouldn't be forced to essentially character kill themself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

+1 for the idea and logic: your actions have consequences, choose to serial kill and have the chance to get locked up forever 

-1 for the per-person judgement and implementation: an IC character ultimately has the power to permanently deprive you of your IC assets via this reckoning, and this is judgement is luck-of-the-draw dependent on which judge/gov official you get. Case in point: traffic officers decide leniency at the time of a traffic penalty, and there exist "demerit" officers who are more likely to demerit you when they are able to; imagine instead of a 3 day driving ban, it's now a possible life sentence.

Edited by Mortimer Hauch
phrasing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Icarus said:

Strongly disagree, this would not only affect criminals who just log on to play the game. It would also affect LEO's as the more characters serving lifetime sentences, the less people to roleplay with as an LEO.

At the end of the day, this is a game and people shouldn't be forced to essentially character kill themself. 

It wouldn't be something common IMO, if anything it would still retain the rarity that we currently have in terms of seeing people take part in this type of RP. It wouldn't be as bright as daylight, it would be for very rare, circumstantial cases with heavy/extreme RP that could even take months and months of IRL time to work on a case to bring someone to trial for a life sentence. So in theory not every criminal on the server will get life sentenced, only very select individuals who choose to take their character that way icly.

This isn't the server for characters to live with long-term consequences, it's more "recover, regroup and go again." - Not a slight on the server, just how it is here.

It would be more fitting for the server to have the death penalty than life sentences.

Plus, the prison experience is in my opinion, awful, with very little to do and even with a dozen inmates, half of which are alt-tabbed or beating the shit out of one another. It would be more of an OOC punishment to force a player to stay there permanently than an IC one.

IF the prison experience improved significantly, then I think it would be a decent idea but ifs and buts were candy and nuts, then we'd all have a merry christmas.

• Like 4

For the same reason as AtlasOfLimbo. As it stands with DOC there is too little to do for long periods of time for people to enjoy.

Also, a lot of the players on the server RP their main character as a criminal. There would be such a large amount of people who would face 'life' in prison under this, it would render a huge amount of RP loss for the rest of the server involving criminals! 

Playing as Sophia, I gave the detective branch something more than finger-printing guns, tracing phones, and just generic anti gang rp. I rp'd with lots of people and took many lives icly (haven't been caught for OOC ones yet teehee) and was arrested a few times for 2-3 murders at a time. It was becoming less fun due to being let out to do the same again and again, where in the real world life sentences would have been given for less! I thought it would be a great idea to intiate a long term sentence (life), in DOC. I reached out to the Faction Management and got permission to do so, I continued my RP as much as I could as an OOC 'finale' and an IC spree. My RP journey made 100% sense to go to DOC and as my character was not financially dependent, for example, didn't take part in drug cooking, or gang crimes majorly, and her only focus was/is her drive to cause pain/kill, there wasn't much of a reason not to try it.

I'm trying to find ways for long term prisoners to enjoy the RP in prison, and not making it a Alt Tabbed simulator. At the moment it's a mixed culture in DOC with the RP, more on the negative side however. I could go in deeper, but there is a different place for that discussion! 

Edited by Purely
Adding Information!
  • Like 2

So I take a particularly different view on this. I think this route of RP like we saw with Sofia (sophia? i’m not sure on the spelling) is incredibly bold and brave because…. i’m sure we all know the state of prison RP. Forcing this onto players might as well be renamed as “IC Character Kill” - this server doesn’t run on nor focus on the idea of RPing as a prisoner, it simply is a deterrent of action. 

I think JB has been an immense prospect of RP, offering amazing experiences consistently while providing and maintaining that golden standard. However, implementing this would severely kick morale and respect for said faction and the server itself to a low hanging bucket.

I like to knock charges of for crims if they provide good rp, I like to add comedic sidebars while on scenes, I like to give crims a chance to do their thing and not shut it down immediately - this is because they find this fun and so do I. I feel like this suggestion would be an amazing implementation if this was a hyper realistic server, but people use this platform as a source of fun entertainment, cutting the circuit to a life sentence would ruin more rp than it would create.

Therefore, I give a -1 however I do appreciate the effort provided.

• Like 4

If the person agrees to the roleplay, there is no issue, but I can not at this point in time support permanently prisoning people against their will. People that took their characters above and beyond and chose to experience realistic repercussions are the exception, and should not be the norm. 

• Like 1

I am going to be blunt with my response.
THE DOC EXPERIENCE IS SIMPLY A SHIT EXPERIENCE WHEN THE PLAYERS ARE NOT PRESENT FROM DOC FACTION OR OTHER PRISONERS. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO IN DOC THAT IS ENGAGING SCRIPTLY. IF PEOPLE WANT A LIFE SENTENCE THEY ALREADY CAN OPT INTO ONE BY REQUESTING THAT RP. FORCING SOMEONE TO GET A LIFE SENTENCE WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE DOC ENJOYABLE FOR SOMEONE IN THERE FOR 5 HOURS MIGHT AS WELL BE A FORCE CK.

**BREATHS IN A DEEP BREATH and FOLLOWS THE THREE C's of Cool Calm and Collected**

I personally debate If I might as well log off when I get a doc sentence during none prime time hours as I know I am not going to get any player interaction because doc is a wasteland where not even tumbleweeds pass by during certain hours.

Imagine what a player would do if they got a life sentence forced on them on a character they invested thousands of hours on. They would never log into that character again and most likely debate weather to continue on the server after evaluating how grindy the ecrp economy is to start up a new char and progress to same point they was originally. It would decrease the criminal population on the server drastically as why would you waste time progressing a criminal long term if you risk losing all progress, when you could just simply play an LEO or Civilian. 

The server might as well introduce forced CK's system as well so every player on the server risks losing there character at any time due to there decisions long term. Cause that's what a life sentence is, it is the  **DEATH PENALTY**.

image.jpeg.9076f7890554380ed12669778054ea9a.jpeg

Edited by Phantas
  • Like 1
  • YAY 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, TripleE said:

I personally find it quite bizarre that we as a community, even after establishing a full fledged functional court system, including a functional criminal court with a functional prosecution team, still ask individuals for OOC consent to be able to ICly take their criminal actions that they took towards a potential life sentence.

Note: I agree to the fact that this is considered Alt-RP, and requires Senior Administrator+ approval simply to deter just anyone from even being ABLE to be prosecuted for a life sentence.

Realistically, if someone commits multiple murders in real life and gets caught for it they get sentenced to life in prison. It makes no sense for serial killers, murderers and other die-hard criminals who are prominent in the community to keep killing people over and over and over to simply get away with it by just going to doc for 1 hour (as an example) and leaving simply after doing their time just to go and kill more people again and the cycle repeats. It is not realistic in the slightest. You are not El Chapo.

Essentially, my character can never be safe if someone "hunts" him because the killer will always manage to get out of prison, the only way to get out of this cycle is for my character to be killed (NLR) which is way less realistic as prosecutors IRL dont get killed for prosecuting people (99% of the time).

Recently, an individual within the community life sentenced their character after establishing them to be a serial killer and after LENGTHY and DEEP character progression and escalation as well as approval from Senior Admins+, stood on trial for the crimes they have committed and have been charged with a life sentence.

To sum it up, in my opinion, I think if someone chooses to take their character that path and to do these things prominently and actively, they should be punished icly for their actions, I dont agree with the "asking for OOC permission" part of this type of RP, it makes no sense for someone to ask oocly to be able to hold them accountable icly for their actions, this type of RP can encourage creative, lengthy and detailed criminal RP too.

Respectfully, this entire post is a suggestion to kill the server.   You cant RP a cop on a server without criminals, all your fun goes away when crims dont wanna do the insane grind that already carries INSANE risk with minimal reward in an uphill battle vs a strong ass PD / SD.   

• Like 2

-1. This is a videogame lol. We are here to have fun and the point of RP is to play an alternate life that u probably wouldnt do IRL (at least I hope thats the case with crim) so this basically means no one is going to want to even risk any of that due to how much grind is needed, effectively ruining the server. Not only that, lifers dont really have that much RP to do in prison as just as Bala said, its filled with ((TABBED OUT)) or /b why did u punch me bro, save pov.  No offense, this has gotta be one of the worst suggestions ive ever heard on this server and I dont see any positive impact this can have on the community.

-100 Imo I've never seen a forum thread more absurd in my entire time of playing ecrp. People spend countless hours gaining assets and building story on characters this is basically saying you are forced to delete a character you put this much time and effort into. Don't know if you have ever experienced getting charged stacked and sitting in prison for 5 hours for a 20 minute situation but its not enjoyable and its more of an OOC punishment than it is IC. I really don't know how anyone could see this as a good idea. The time you get charged for in ECRP is already to much in some situations Imo this is just killing a character completely making crims have to restart and having one less crim for LEO to RP with lol.  

• Like 1

I have a single character I play who is a career criminal, if I were sentenced to perma-prison; I would likely stop playing that character and my faction would be disbanded.

DOC is an OOC punishment.

Prison break permissions are very rarely granted and would be the only reason I would log on, so that I could play with my friends... Which is the entire point of ECRP. I would not mind something along the lines of a death penalty that is SOLELY to NLR a character and allow them to respawn at pillbox, however. 

• Upvote 2

I think this would only work in a server where money is a lot easier to get and the idea of a permadeath is established and while this idea would be cool to explore, I doubt many in the server would like that.

If we had a server where killing someone would actually meant that their character dies, then I doubt we would see as many murders as we do, because it would have a lot more impact on the server.

So, on one hand you can say ''Realistically, if someone commits multiple murders in real life and gets caught for it they get sentenced to life in prison. It makes no sense for serial killers, murderers and other die-hard criminals who are prominent in the community to keep killing people over and over and over to simply get away with it by just going to doc for 1 hour (as an example) and leaving simply after doing their time just to go and kill more people again and the cycle repeats. It is not realistic in the slightest. You are not El Chapo.''

However, the other side of the coin is that in real life people that get shot and killed don't re-spawn back at their local hospital.

After reading this suggestion as well as the follow up comments made by members of the community, I do have to agree and give this an overall -1. I am in full support of players who bring forward characters like Sophia Falcone that move forward and intentionally chose to serve out long term implications of their actions on the server. I know that many people involved in that arc have enjoyed it and it is a very brave and outstanding thing that was done. With that noted, it was a personal choice and I believe it should remain that way.

Now - that is not to say that I am not in favor of long term consequences of character actions. A CK system has been something mentioned by numerous people in the past and I believe moving forward with a system that would take in possible requests for a CK, not just for your own character but also for somebody else's, could be a somewhat middle ground for this. If done properly, it could serve as a way to have greater consequences to actions should it be appropriate and while under great (and I mean GREAT) scrutiny but at the same time not serve as what many believe is an indefinite OOC punishment (not to say that I agree with the OOC punishment aspect - simply reiterating what many people believe DOC to be).

The second paragraph aside, the initial standpoint of a -1 to the suggestion still stands. I do not believe this server is the right one for a life sentence system without consent from the other player. I appreciate the suggestion but it just would not work nor be appreciated here by the vast majority.

Although I don’t particularly believe that life sentence should be a thing, playing from both stand points of crim and a legal. I do feel like metioned in previous posts that a death row/ firing squad should be implemented. For and only cases are that extremely extensive and have correct IC reasoning. The only way for legal to have criminals stop harassing them and forget the events prior to them being sent to jail is to give them NLR with the death row. Crims on the other hand just kill each other 🤷‍♂️ to enact the NLR rule. This still feels early but definitely a good step in the right direction 

I actually like the idea of opting in for a life sentence. as for forcing people to face life sentences for their crimes, it's taking away a lot of what they've worked for, and denies them access (or at least massively inhibits ) at type of realist progression. That'd be fine id I thought playing in DOC as a lifer was as good of RP as being an LEO, it's really not right now though, and after criminals finish getting polished up with updates I really hope DOC gets it's attention, be cause prison RP CAN be fun.

That's an extremely sweet spot to try and hit, As realistically, being in prison should be miserable, But on an OOC level we want people to enjoy their time in DOC, we would ideally have them leaving thinking "well I took a monetary loss but at least prison RP is entertaining"

I think we should set a felony/conviction threshold,75,100, After that JB should launch a case (If it decides to do so) to see the person permanently imprisoned upon their next felony(or immediately depending on the outcome of the trial. The trial to have someone imprisoned for life could involve have jurors decide the fate of the defendant (leaving opportunity's for jurors to go missing or be paid off). Maybe if the prosecution losses the defendant gets to commit another 100 felony's before JB can try to imprison them permanently again. Ton's of RP could and should revolve around something of this magnitude regardless.  BUT

I think some sense of impending doom, no matter how far off, could do wonders for how crime plays out, and ultimately prison sentences.

Edited by Tucccci

5 hours ago, SmushyTaco said:

Being able to request to CK other people's characters doesn't sound like a good idea. A non consentual CK has the same issues as a non consentual life sentence.

I however, am in support of a death row where criminals can be NLRed for their crimes, but a CK system where other people can request to CK you without your consent sounds terrible.

Don’t look too much into the note about a CK system as I don’t mentioned consent in the thought of it but simply state it as a request. A proper CK system is far more complex than anything I would feel comfortable writing out on the forums at this time.

• Like 1

Ck systems are all fun and games till a cop gets cked for being overly aggro like some detectives and than legals start crying for it not to be a thing when they lose all assets and build up on a charch and have to start fresh. Cause pd and criminals would not be able to play the way they do if cks existed as Eclipse playstyle has always been semi-realistic but fun environment for the 5 years its existed. 

Edited by Phantas
  • Like 2