alexalex303

Action timer for radio frequency

We used to have an issue with people hanging on for dear life for their frequency and resorting to questionable roleplay such as scratching the radio screen of every radio they ever got, and when that got corrected by the announcement, people started playing fair with the frequency, but now it seems that people are once again trying their best to win over good RP.

You will have people at gunpoint changing their frequency, injured people changing their frequency and even people changing their frequency mid falling animation. I suggest we add a ten second timer to changing radio frequency.

• Like 1

-1 I don't see how rolling a dial takes 10 seconds

This new radio thing is silly anyway and considering PD radio is encrypted and no one can access it regardless (As it should), you also have to understand fairness as well. I don't think anyone not involved in crim RP really understands how frustrating it is for huge gangs to constantly have to change freq because EVERYONE wants to take frequencies, it's actually borderline silly.

Imagine changing the radiofreq multiple times a day for 60 people, meeting up, texting the ones who aren't around, rinse repeat. If anything, rply scratching off your screen should still be a thing, at least there's an RP reason someone can't take the frequency. If you don't have that problem or understand it's frustrations from our POV, I implore people to not make suggestions on these types of matters until you understand it from all angles.  

Edited by MrUntouchable215
  • Like 2

I completely agree with Hoxton. If that's the case, then posting a backup call and hitting your panic button should also have an action timer.

I'm not sure if this is already a thing, but if this gets implemented, then I guess /pw and taking weapons out of that storage should also have an action timer to make it more realistic?

13 minutes ago, MrUntouchable215 said:

-1 I don't see how rolling a dial takes 10 seconds

This new radio thing is silly anyway and considering PD radio is encrypted and no one can access it regardless (As it should), you also have to understand fairness as well. I don't think anyone not involved in crim RP really understands how frustrating it is for huge gangs to constantly have to change freq because EVERYONE wants to take frequencies, it's actually borderline silly.

Imagine changing the radiofreq multiple times a day for 60 people, meeting up, texting the ones who aren't around, rinse repeat. If anything, rply scratching off your screen should still be a thing, at least there's an RP reason someone can't take the frequency. If you don't have that problem or understand it's frustrations from our POV, I implore people to not make suggestions on these types of matters until you understand it from all angles.  

It's almost as if there's going to be drawbacks to having a huge gang instead of all positives, no one is forcing you to have 60 people in your gang. 

I also like how you never challenged the fact that changing your frequency instantly is bad RP, only the fact that it's inconvenient to not do so. I should think that we should all strive for better RP, and not just convenience. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

We used to have an issue with people hanging on for dear life for their frequency and resorting to questionable roleplay such as scratching the radio screen of every radio they ever got, and when that got corrected by the announcement, people started playing fair with the frequency, but now it seems that people are once again trying their best to win over good RP.

You will have people at gunpoint changing their frequency, injured people changing their frequency and even people changing their frequency mid falling animation. I suggest we add a ten second timer to changing radio frequency.

Also one more thing, how in any universe is it "Good RP" to have every person become a super detective, taking radios off everyone they kill and going to the freq going "HEY ZETAS, FUCK ZETAS, I CLAP YALL 24/7 GANG GANG GANG GANG, IM THROWING GANG SIGNS UP BUT YOU CANT SEE IT" Like bruh pls

@alexalex303 No one is forcing PD to have 120 members, but you still have them, you still have encrypted radios and you still have people breaking rules just like we do. The point is, there are a fuck ton of drawbacks to being in a huge gang, as well as drawbacks for being criminal period. I don't see how changing a frequency is bad RP because if you fucked up, the LEAST you could do is save your organization from being breached? I also think every single person on the planet hunting for radio frequencies is also bad RP but not one time did you mention that in your suggestion because again, it doesn't effect you lol

Edited by MrUntouchable215

4 minutes ago, MrUntouchable215 said:

Also one more thing, how in any universe is it "Good RP" to have every person become a super detective, taking radios off everyone they kill and going to the freq going "HEY ZETAS, FUCK ZETAS, I CLAP YALL 24/7 GANG GANG GANG GANG, IM THROWING GANG SIGNS UP BUT YOU CANT SEE IT" Like bruh pls

I never said that's good RP. I think we both know that there's a middle ground here, and it's not the status quo. Perhaps you could have special radio imports that come with the screen scratched off, similar to how unique weapons are imported. That could be a good compromise. 

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 2

Just now, alexalex303 said:

I never said that's good RP. I think we both know that there's a middle ground here, and it's not the status quo. A good solution to your problem would be that official gangs could have a secure frequency that only themselves, other official factions and LSPD can enter. That would solve your issues with people trolling on the frequency, while also allowing the gathering of frequencies for good RP.

Now that, I can get behind. As I said, the main issue I have is that every single person, big or small simply hunts for radio frequencies. My definition of good RP is infiltrating a rival gang and gathering the freq and other information organically, not picking up radios from dead bodies. All of the factions, PD and crim alike are not just full of people we invited from our own personal discords, we're all housing players of ECRP and mistakes are going to happen. Back then, if you scratch off your freq, detectives could still gather your frequency when your average joe wouldn't be able to.

• Like 2

Agreed. It may not be realistic for it to be a 10s action, but people aren't using perspective of REALITY when it comes to the usage of it, they would get shot, bleeding out after 7-8 bullets in them, and they would be like oh wait a second, I can still move my arms, even though I got blasted by an ak lemme turn the dial up a bit, there you go mate, you can rob/arrest me now, cheers for waiting 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrUntouchable215 said:

Now that, I can get behind. As I said, the main issue I have is that every single person, big or small simply hunts for radio frequencies. My definition of good RP is infiltrating a rival gang and gathering the freq and other information organically, not picking up radios from dead bodies. All of the factions, PD and crim alike are not just full of people we invited from our own personal discords, we're all housing players of ECRP and mistakes are going to happen. Back then, if you scratch off your freq, detectives could still gather your frequency when your average joe wouldn't be able to.

The issue with the old way was that people went to unrealistic lengths to protect the frequency. I think @JayGamble can attest to how many times I had to get a moderator to obtain a frequency. I remember having an incident in which a person said that his radio's screen was broken, that it did not have any usb slots as it was vintage, and I couldn't just use it because it also was broken, also if we tried to switch the screen, we had to provide screenshots of learning how to switch radio screens with /time. It was incidents like those that eventually resulted in what we have now.

• Like 1

-1 from me, I don't think having an action timer for a small dial turn is worth it. It would mean you can't quickly change when the attacker turns their back on you. I'd say just deal with reporting people who break FearRP as there's a much bigger issue there (if they don't follow that rule, they'll likely break others too)

I would suggest a timer shorter than 10 seconds (more like 2), however that would cause to many situations where people start changing it then get put under fearrp during the timer and cant/dont stop it.

I think its being implied here that switching a radio frequency is like undoing a bike lock with dials that need turning to a number or something.
Not everyone is typing /radiofreq xxxx in these situations, because most bigger gangs PRESET fake frequencies to switch to and ICly hit a single button on their radios. Very Very similar to a panic button for PD.

To set them:
/Bindradio 1 xxxx
/Bindradio 2 xxxx 

To change between them:
Shift+1
Shift+2

You will have people at gunpoint changing their frequency, injured people changing their frequency and even people changing their frequency mid falling animation. I suggest we add a ten second timer to changing radio frequency.

• If you don't have fearRP on the person why wouldn't they switch frequencies? If you have a gun on them then report it. 
  • Why couldn't an injured person change their frequency? Imagine police not being able to hit a Panic alarm while injured. To say they couldn't would be power-gaming and deciding their injuries for them.
  • If someone is falling to their death and has time to think about changing their frequencies good for them. Its not like they can call a loved one for a conversation. The least they can do is save their loved ones from getting compromised.

After giving my location protecting my gangs freq is #1 priority when i get caught by the cops, because my gang is the ONLY thing that can get me out of that situation and they need a clean freq to do it. Same thing with Panic Alarms - It should be a cops #1 priority when caught because its the ONLY thing that will get them out. Both ICly are located on the Radio and require the same effort to do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bump.

+1, as long as timers are added for panic alarms also.

Time and time again, as soon as an individual is injured, all they care about is hitting their panic button/changing frequencies, rather than RPing injuries. 

Realistically, an injured individual would not be able to quickly click a button as they would be hurt and struggle to do so, adding a 2/3 second timer would make sense in this case.

Radios have had Z buttons since radios existed. 
They are intentionally designed to take about 1 second to hit them, and clear the radio off all freqs, and the "fill" (i.e. the encryption). 

And you can bet, if someone goes down in a fight (PD, Soldier, Gang) they will hit the Zero button....every time. Because it saves everyone elses lives.

Add a timer? Sure, 1-2 seconds is plenty. But then remove changing Freqs off the FearRP rules, because IRL, you would unlikely notice them do it...and it would be instinct to change the station when there is a chance the freq would be compromised. It is only FearRP now because it has become a mini-game within eclipse to steal freqs, as has been stated. 

If we want to add timers to make RP more realistic, then also remove the auto-kill FearRP that goes with it, since IRL all you would see is a 2 second movement of a hand. 

• Like 1

HUGE +1. There has been a huge issue with people doing this straight after being injured and some even while under gun point.

@Jasmine The radios that i have seen that effectively erase data in seconds are stupendously expensive. The one our special forces use are $1k+ IRL and i personally don't think those erase that quickly.

17 hours ago, jeremyy said:

HUGE +1. There has been a huge issue with people doing this straight after being injured and some even while under gun point.

@Jasmine The radios that i have seen that effectively erase data in seconds are stupendously expensive. The one our special forces use are $1k+ IRL and i personally don't think those erase that quickly.

Yes, then this goes back to the difference between radios gangs get and PD get.

If we want to be realistic, the cheaper radios you are referring to with no FH mode, and no Z function...also wouldn't reach across the state...
If it was a cheaper radio, with no Z function, scrambling the channel would be even easier, as it would likely be a dial turn, or a button press.

I guess my point is simply, it should not be automatic, that you win a firefight and get the freq. It should be a mistake by a player, really well played RP (requiring to specifically state don't touch the radio etc), or simply downing someone before they can switch it.

A 2-second timer with a /ame, and remove changing the station off the FearRP list is my suggestion.
I would also maybe make the script not allow changing it once downed....

Edited by Jasmine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasmine said:

It should be a mistake by a player, really well played RP (requiring to specifically state don't touch the radio etc), or simply downing someone before they can switch it.

A 2-second timer with a /ame, and remove changing the station off the FearRP list is my suggestion.

I think changing radio frequencies should remain on the FearRP list, however I am in favor of a 2 second timer and /ame.

Telling an injured person that they cannot move and/or cannot think clear enough to prioritize their frequencies is power-gaming in my opinion. If you do not want someone to be able to move at all then finish killing them or put them under fearRP.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.