Chebbidy

Re-Cap Adjust Prison/Jail Time & Cut-off

3 hours ago, FatherOsborn said:

Hello, I will keep this short as there's more detailed and lengthy responses in older suggestions around this topic. We are not looking at capping prison times at this moment, instead we are looking to improve the prison itself. Please focus your suggestions on this thread around how to improve the prison with adjustments / new features, (non action related suggestions please).

- Osborn. 

Community service would be amazing. Where DOC personnel can take prisoners out of the prison area, work in other areas and allow a fraction of that money to go to debts (only). They could be 'chained' to the prison vehicle or DOC officer. Could work mining, lumber yard, fishing and more.

I'd also love to see the prison yard be opened up a ton, it's too restricting and the walls look unsightly. A larger fenced in area would be better, and let you see around beyond the walls and the guards can see you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Probably a controversial opinion but -1 for capped time ...But hear me out.

I can absolutely understand the frustration, especially and quieter times when you're very limited with who you can interact with. I do not really play crim an awful lot and when I do I can see where it gets a bit laborious for those of you who visit jail frequently.

That being said, capping prison times is not really an ideal solution imo. Giving the DOC more script resources to enable more forms of RP would be much more valuable. As High Command at DOC, we put a LOT of effort into allowing various RP scenarios and keeping people entertained but we still lack in the quiet hours when we're limited by staff. I've seen some threads that have made some pretty cool suggestions like this:

FatherOsborn and Xoza say it well, improving RP would be much better for us all than just reducing sentences. And even from a non-script point of view, I am always open to suggestions on what our faction can do to improve the experience for you guys on an RP level. My discord DM's (DrPathetic#0001) are open for any OOC discussions anyone wants to have about the rp level at the prison as I love to get feedback, complaints or criticisms that we can address as staff there. And ICly it's easy enough to contact me too for any IC comments people could have.
We do not want to punish people on an OOC level for being in jail but there also needs to be some give and take. Inmates need to be willing to put some effort into trying to RP with us also beyond the usual "im going to fight this guy for stamps and start a riot" we see daily. We get some inmates who take full advantage of their jail time and do some very different RP and it passes time for them when they're in, so some of the issue is the mentality that it's an ooc punishment and people then going afk.

But yeah, -1 for reduced time but +1 to any suggestions around improving the RP opportunities there and implementing more script changes that make sense and can improve prison life for both between inmates and guards and also when there's not many guards available so inmate-inmate interaction can be enabled some more.

Here's a quote of my other message on that thread above:

On 8/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, DrPathetic said:

+1 for more RP objectives and consequences for inmates being scriptly added. This would greatly improve the prison system and give people things to aim for whilst in prison and get more +1 for more RP objectives and consequences for inmates. This would greatly improve the prison system and give people things to aim for whilst in prison and get more of the inmates working together or fighting for actual reasons instead of random DMing. I do have to say though, having players seek out other inmates to cooperate with would also benefit RP in a non-script way.

As for the import/smuggling system, i also really like it. Right now the most common way people get items smuggled in is through a guard not looking at the right part of the screen (previously the chat box saying "Weapons: none") which is very rare and not really a good RP reason for contraband entering the cell block. I could see a way the new turf system coming up could work with something like a smuggling system for the prison for gang members to acquire contraband. Once again, from a non-script point of view, maybe players should try and think about how they can reach the same end-goal of this target RPly such as more people attempting to smuggle in items through visitations, or through RP on their person.

Stash spots could be implemented like the pd/sd/doc evidence locker system but with a smaller inventory for inmates to access inside.

Good and bad behavior implementation would be amazing. The primary issue right now is that even if we had something basic as a reward such as stamps we could give out, they're converted to cash and/or time off so that's limited until that's either scaled appropriately for us to give out or an alternative is implemented. Right now the only way I, a non-corrupt DOC officer, can reward inmates is through praise and food and drink which isn't really rewarding. As for punishments, our only real punishment we can give at DOC is solitary which in my opinion should only be reserved for extreme cases as it's very much an ooc punishment since you're locked away from any other players which makes it an unappealing option. There's very often RP scenarios where I'd love to reward, or punish inmates more but there's no avenue for that right now so I love the ideas proposed here. Even if these specific ones are not implemented, it would be great to see some way to reward or punish inmates.

I'd like to put forward my suggestion of freelance jobs in prison that give stamps like mining does, but can be more RP heavy and can involve officers more such as cleaning, clothes washing, or even recreational activities inmates can spend time doing and earn stamps for and potentially roleplay heavier in. 

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Edited by DrPathetic
  • Like 1