Astrox

Masks in NCZ.

Masks

Masks should be used for two things, robberies, and situational circumstances where you need to hide your identity, i.e potential police confrontation. Masks shouldn't be a fashion accessory or a common thing to see. In my opinion it should be against the LAW to wear an identity hiding mask in the city, this law would actually be developed and there would be more to it then that, for example there would be exempt days such as halloween, or in circumstances such as high security transports. 

However, on a rule side, it should be against the rules to wear masks in NCZ's because;

1. Try walk into a bank with a mask see what happens.

2. Try walk into a PD with a mask on, see what happens.

3. It's  NCZ, you don't plan on committing a crime, why are you hiding your identity.

When someone consistently hides their identity it shows one thing; these people want to roleplay criminal - not a criminal character, but a simple criminal entity. There's no character development, there's no real character to character interaction, that person you're talking to has no identity, which is usually why people wear masks.

Ban Masks = Higher chance of getting caught for crimes = less crime.

Think GIF - Think GIFs

• NAY 1
  • Upvote 1

Masks aren't illegal but naturally make police suspicious. If you enter Mission Row they will ask you to remove the mask or deny service. Masks would include head coverings which is a very controversial subject IRL because of many countries pushing to ban burqa's and similar items of clothing.

Regardless, these are topics that should be brought to the Government and discussed ICly.

• Upvote 3

IC Me: "Ban masks!"

OOC Me: "Not realistic, but not unlawful, kind of weird, but also everyone can 'remember' everyone's face and aliases never expire. IC me though will be quite discriminatory though because it's obvious you're trying to hide something. Discrimination against masks have risen in PD as well."

Edited by Xoza

On 5/17/2019 at 12:52 AM, Astrox said:

Masks

Masks should be used for two things, robberies, and situational circumstances where you need to hide your identity, i.e potential police confrontation. Masks shouldn't be a fashion accessory or a common thing to see. In my opinion it should be against the LAW to wear an identity hiding mask in the city, this law would actually be developed and there would be more to it then that, for example there would be exempt days such as halloween, or in circumstances such as high security transports. 

However, on a rule side, it should be against the rules to wear masks in NCZ's because;

1. Try walk into a bank with a mask see what happens.

2. Try walk into a PD with a mask on, see what happens.

3. It's  NCZ, you don't plan on committing a crime, why are you hiding your identity.

When someone consistently hides their identity it shows one thing; these people want to roleplay criminal - not a criminal character, but a simple criminal entity. There's no character development, there's no real character to character interaction, that person you're talking to has no identity, which is usually why people wear masks.

Ban Masks = Higher chance of getting caught for crimes = less crime.

Think GIF - Think GIFs

Mask themselves aren't a valid indicator of crime. Plenty of people wear masks on a regular basis, motor cycle riders wear masks for covering their face against wind with either full helmets or other articles like bandanas, others like to wear silly mask like furries, mascots, cosplayers, and even just for fashion. Therefore, I can't see the use in banning them entirely, especially since that should be handled IC.

You could however limit their use within actual buildings inside of NCZs via OOC rules/mechanics in efforts to promote sensible rp. For example, banks, hospitals, and government institutions will not serve you if you're wearing a mask, hat, sunglasses, or anything else obstructing your identity for obvious security reasons. Since hats and sunglasses aren't easily removed like masks(I could be wrong on that, I honestly don't know), we should just focus on masks since they mechanically alter your identifiable features and hide your identity. This is where you implement something to the ticket system in regards to a pop up. If you enter a building within a NCZ with a mask on, it will alert you to remove it or leave the building, if you continue to remain masked and don't leave, it should automatically inform law enforcement immediately of trespassing as you're not permitted to be there. 

Edited by Wifye

Masks aren't illegal but naturally make police suspicious. If you enter Mission Row they will ask you to remove the mask or deny service. Masks would include head coverings which is a very controversial subject IRL because of many countries pushing to ban burqa's and similar items of clothing.

Regardless, these are topics that should be brought to the Government and discussed ICly.

Actually if anyone would read the penal code..... and the descriptions....

IC me: *cough* Face Concealment

I think that people should only cover their face when it's really needed. They shouldn't be covering their face for tremendous durations (weeks/days, based on IC time) because it is most assuredly to cause issues with breathing, could even cause a skin rash or a disease, it is possible that people can faint inside them (depending on the material the mask is made of and because they should be changed/worn off from time to time because that's how it normally works). 

I'm not even on the side of people wearing them everywhere, but they should lose health if they wear them for a prolonged duration, a timer should be added, there has to be a limit and when they take them off, there should be a cooldown added on when they can wear them back, this would balance stuff. (not for all masks, but the ones which covers the nose mostly/the entire face.)

Masks should only be worn if the wearer is wanted so bad by the Government. They're just hiding everywhere under their masks. I have also seen fully LEGAL people wearing them and utilizing them the same way as illegal people, this is bullshit. Normally in real life, most people don't wear masks and I didn't find an announcement to make us roleplay the COVID-19 catastrophe (a proper reason to wear masks). Some people just wear them because they don't wanna get 'aliased' and I find it extremely dense.

If a LEO is approaching you with a car/on-foot, you can put the mask on, if you have one, but not wear them the entire time.

They shouldn't have rules or restrictions, but people should use them realistically by making a timer and forcing them into doing so, even if it is a criminal that is highly wanted, otherwise, they should just die under their mask big-time if they're going to wear them for such long durations because people don't even RP lifting/rolling the bottom end up over their nose for a little bit to give their hard time of breathing a break. There are some negatives and positives, but if people are wearing them for weeks, they should be forced to take them off for a while or face losing health/having red on their face (face/sun burns) from the rashes by having their slider increased overtime. Just an opinion.

Edited by Asterisk

Ah yes, a post created prior to the introduction of a law regarding masks should reflect the current penal code. My bad.

Moron.

Edited by Linden

I'm all for a more convincing roleplay environment, but we also need to recognize that this is indeed a game. If a real city had a crime rate anywhere like in-game, it'd be horrific. The economy is hyper-inflated, housing is extremely expensive etc, but there's a fine balance between realistic roleplay and gameplay. I'm fine with people wearing masks, I wear one a lot of the time on my legal character, and its just my personal choice. If you make wearing a mask against the law, people will still wear them regardless, especially crims.

I'm all for a more convincing roleplay environment, but we also need to recognize that this is indeed a game. If a real city had a crime rate anywhere like in-game, it'd be horrific. The economy is hyper-inflated, housing is extremely expensive etc, but there's a fine balance between realistic roleplay and gameplay. I'm fine with people wearing masks, I wear one a lot of the time on my legal character, and its just my personal choice. If you make wearing a mask against the law, people will still wear them regardless, especially crims.

There's already a law against it, this is an outdated suggestion.

If you were to read further on in subsection C it says reasonable medical causes. Why do you wash your hands? To prevent the spread of germs. Even though COVID isn't IC, the same concepts apply when wearing a mask. You can prevent other people from spreading germs and vice versa by wearing a mask. People that are up north on the map could be wearing a mask to prevent dust from getting in their mouth/face. 

Cops IC literally look to find people with masks to harass them, and when you try to explain their own penal code they just fine and/or arrest you.

oprahjail.jpg

Edited by Jewcifer
added picture

If you were to read further on in subsection C it says reasonable medical causes. Why do you wash your hands? To prevent the spread of germs. Even though COVID isn't IC, the same concepts apply when wearing a mask. You can prevent other people from spreading germs and vice versa by wearing a mask. People that are up north on the map could be wearing a mask to prevent dust from getting in their mouth/face. 

Cops IC literally look to find people with masks to harass them, and when you try to explain their own penal code they just fine and/or arrest you.

oprahjail.jpg

You need permission from MD and a certificate to prove it to have a mask for a medical reason

You need permission from MD and a certificate to prove it to have a mask for a medical reason

If you read, there isn't anything in the penal code that says you need medical documentation. It explicitly states that you need a license/documentation for firearms and operating vehicles, but there is NOTHING in the penal code that states you are required to have medical paperwork.

Do you need medical paperwork to wash your hands? No. You're doing that (or should be doing that) to prevent yourself from getting sick. Look at cities with high pollution (such as Los Angeles); people wear masks to protect themselves from pollution. IRL people are wearing (or should be wearing) masks to prevent the spread of COVID. Again, I know COVID isn't IC, but the same concept applies. I don't need a fucking permission slip to protect my health.

Edited by Jewcifer
punctuation

I think the issue is solely IC. It promotes more interaction between law enforcement and civilians. And having a current Face Concealment charge in the penal code seems to enforce this enough, especially at places like PD, where law enforcement is always present. 

I think enforcing this OOCly, just wouldn't make much sense. As your character should be able and free to make them choices. 

+1 but here's why. 

Its about consistency. The reason I think its OOC is a NCZ is itself OOC. So either, its a crime (Which according to every PD officer that has stopped me for it and the penal code it is) then you can't wear one in a zone of no crime OR you remove mask from the penal code because it is not a crime. 

Otherwise its no longer a NCZ, its a no "crimes we don't like" zone. 

Edited by NeverMind
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

+1 but here's why. 

Its about consistency. The reason I think its OOC is a NCZ is itself OOC. So either, its a crime (Which according to every PD officer that has stopped me for it and the penal code it is) then you can't wear one in a zone of no crime OR you remove mask from the penal code because it is not a crime. 

Otherwise its no longer a NCZ, its a no "crimes we don't like" zone. 

+1