OBESE

Nothing to declare aka Border Control

Hello all Eclipsians!

Today I come to you with a suggestion due to the excessive amount of new players joining our server. A lot of these new players have never played role-play before and they have no knowledge or experience. That itself is not a bad thing as you can learn and we are here to help. But how do we make sure that the person, upon joining the server and wondering the streets of Los Santos, actually has the simple knowledge and understanding of RP that the server requires?

The quiz is there and the written exam as well. We see a lot of people fail due to lack of knowledge, but then on the other side we see a lot of people pass it, but totally fail when allowed into the server. Such bad experiences and interactions do mess up the older player base role-play experience and upon allowing someone new into the server we have to make sure that the person will add to the experience, not take away.

[Suggestion - TL:DR part]
I suggest adding another legal faction - Los Santos Border Control - LSBC! This faction would be the one that is dealing with newcomers of the server and who's job is to actually confirm their knowledge and educate if needed via actual role-play! After the quiz and written exam is passed they would arrive at LS Airport where they have to go through the border control. The whole experience would be designed to introduce the newcomer to basic roleplay in terms of /me's and /do's and test their knowledge. It would consist of simple tasks that a border control officer would perform, like checking passport(licence), doing a body scan, inviting them to an interview room and asking for some simple questions as to "why are you here", "do you know anyone in town" and stuff like that. 

If the person shows understanding between IC, OOC, /do, /me and officer does not see no issues, then the person is let into Los Santos and is free to start their story. If by any chance the person shows lack of knowledge of the basic RP, then the outcome is really up to administration to decide. It could be explained on the spot via ooc method or denied entry meaning the person would have to try to educate themselves, ask on discord about stuff they dont understand and try the last phase again in maybe 4 hours, same as application cool-down. How to deal with it would come down to the level of lack of the knowledge.

It is important for the whole community that we do our best to make sure we are met with at least average level of role-play, otherwise we will gain reputation of a bad RP server community due to the fact that large amount of newcomers do not understand basics. The screening system that we have at the moment is suppose to check for that, but unfortunately it allows the person to cheat while actual live role-play would make that task way harder even if someone would still assist, but even then the individual would see a real example how things work and learn.

Just for laughs (Might have been trolling, but it's not far from truth we see) - 
f17daf94fc9a6d629682fd8fcc5a7624.png

I hope you will like this suggestion and consider it as I believe it would gradually improve the overall role-play experience and in matter of fact bring in new role-play with a new faction.

Feel free to comment and add to my suggestion if you see how you could improve this idea.

• Like 2
  • PogU 1
  • Upvote 7

+1 A great idea, and it would lead to some interesting roleplay scenarios, but I'm not sure if there would be enough people willing to do this as a job. Also, what about when there are no newcomers, do the employees just sit and wait regardless? Because that could seem quite boring, drawing people away from this faction.

1 minute ago, Rytis said:

+1 A great idea, and it would lead to some interesting roleplay scenarios, but I'm not sure if there would be enough people willing to do this as a job. Also, what about when there are no newcomers, do the employees just sit and wait regardless? Because that could seem quite boring, drawing people away from this faction.

It could be like part of existing faction, definitely not police because I believe they already have too many departments. But it could be like extra part for DOC maybe?

This is a good suggestion but how can you change the level of rp in general? Basic rules and the meaning and how to use rp commands are not our problems. When I joined the server I just faced so many players who are still grinding to buy a mansion or super car, checking labs and robbing everyone, rule baiting and try to ban the enemy gang members, camping at foundry to rob a miner after working over 30 min and telling him that is rp without thinking about his experience here after getting robbed and chopping his car, not commiting to the rp instead of trying to only win, placing all the possible charges on the Player without thinking about how much time he has to spend in the no rp jail that we have, making fun of non English people because of their accent or their grammer skill, ignoring hostage by LSPD and shooting at the hostage and criminals, not having a balanced cop vs criminal rp because we think it's more realistic when nothing is realistic in the server and so many other stuff that can be discussed about. 

What happens to a new players when he sees this situation? Who is struggling with /do after a couple days of playing? New Player would just start rp'ing like other players. Grinders and robbers. Not thinking about building a character is the problem. 

I am agree with you that we have to teach new players how the things go here but building a good environment for them before they get in the town is our responsibility that we should have an eye on it. 

In general +1 but I'm pretty sure that we have many other serious problems out here. 

Edited by aXoL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.