Clank

Chatbox Flooding

Pretty straightfoward, 90% of the time your chatbox will be spammed with useless things that are not roleplay related. The chatbox feels like you're scrolling through an illegal movie site covered in colors and popups.

1) Make Weazel ads a phone app that you scroll through like some kind of twitter feed.

2) Remove the random rule reminders eg. "[ECRP]: Do not PAUSE/STALL RP if a rule is broken!" 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

For Weazel ads, I believe you should only get them if your phone's turned on or if you have a newspaper in your inventory. As an example, when you're in DOC, you don't have your phone. And to me it doesn't really make sense to be in DOC with no forms of digital use, but still get Weazel ads.

1 hour ago, Clank said:

Pretty straightfoward, 90% of the time your chatbox will be spammed with useless things that are not roleplay related. The chatbox feels like you're scrolling through an illegal movie site covered in colors and popups.

1) Make Weazel ads a phone app that you scroll through like some kind of twitter feed.

2) Remove the random rule reminders eg. "[ECRP]: Do not PAUSE/STALL RP if a rule is broken!" 

I agree with you Clank, in principle with how the chatbox feels at times. Not just the amount of stuff but the aggressive use of colour that looks like someone has just dumped a box of crayola crayons out in front of you.

Regarding Weazel, I agree that the chatbox spam is intrusive as fuck but I feel like the adverts are most of Weazel's bread and butter as a faction, hiding them away inside an app, I don't see that being a good thing for them. Perhaps if we expanded the top of the phone some, where a dropdown advert from Weazel would be visible for a few seconds or even giving the advert it's own spot somewhere or even just going with something similiar to the lottery, where a Weazel advert pops up above the minimap, capped at like 2 max? I think the ads have to stay visible but for the love of god fuck them off out of the chatbox.

I don't know about NGG, but how my old samp server used to handle the adverts was just a plain [Advert]: Advert text would be here in white with the [Advert] in green. so you identified it as what it was. Right now, it's like we've farted a rainbow.

As for the random rule reminders, no person who isn't a new player needs reminding of basic rules like that or at least they shouldn't. If you got to remind people not to pause or stall roleplay, what the fuck are we doing lol?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bala said:

I don't know about NGG, but how my old samp server used to handle the adverts was just a plain [Advert]: Advert text would be here in white with the [Advert] in green. so you identified it as what it was. Right now, it's like we've farted a rainbow.

Was the same on NGG, every different thing that popped in the chat had a certain color so you could identify what was pertinent and what was not. Advertisements on NGG were lime green. An example picture I found from looking through old NGG screenshots:

CJSSzDx.png

Weazel ads do be annoying especially when they do bulks where we get 10 ads back to back and i have to scroll to see anything and get blinded by a bold rainbow coloured block of text. I agree that ads should be visible only when you have your phone on. @Diddern is color blind and he has to be reminded of that every time he sees the ads please end his suffering 😭

I 100% support this suggestion, especially for ads!
My friend @Diddern is colorblind and he's always asking me if he guessed correctly what colors did they use for ads. He gets angry when he's wrong. I can't keep living like this. Please help our colorblind friend!

Just rework the chat box to include a tab style design like Runescape has: one tab for text chat and RP only, one tab that has everything, one tab for ads only, one tab for OOC only, and one tab for /reports and admins. Also, if we rework the chat box, allow it to be scalable in size so 4K users can actually see the words instead of having to read text made for ants.

image.png

Edited by Requiem
  • Like 1

The chat needs an entire overhaul to begin with, not just the ads, but they do play a large role.

• Ads are incredibly inconsistent due to personalization and individualism. There's a reason a vast majority of SAMP servers (and their current GTA 5 continuations) have used a single color (the green shown in the screenshot posted above) to allow for easy differentiation. They either need to be consistent, not a sensory overload of emojis and 20 different colors, and toggleable, or moved to phones entirely. There are plenty of servers to take inspiration from who have opted for a toggle system where you either see it in chat (in green to make it easily distinguishable text) or as a small non-invasive temporary pop-up on the side of your screen or phone when a new ad is posted.

The department radio used by legal factions has an orange tag, orange names, and orange text. This makes it very easy to distinguish from other text in the chat. I don't know why this isn't applied more across the board. 
  • Too many things are the same color, the [POLICE], [ECRP], and [WEAZEL] tags just to list a few are all the same color. Inconsistency is an issue, but this also isn't great. Players should be able to easily differentiate without having to read and lose focus on what is actually important when interacting with others. It's a little less relevant when you're not really doing anything.
  • Messages like the daily credit rewards or server reminders such as those about /fdo's look like a children's book of drawings. Why are we using four different bright colors for a single message?
  • Honestly, it is baffling that this has been a thing for so long, but the fact that those who play on a 4K monitor have to squint to read or see literally anything, not just chat but the entire HUD and phone, is insane. The server has done so much to accommodate players, but there's been no effort in making the chat, a very vital part of actually playing the game and roleplaying with other players, legible for players on 4K. 

I'm sure there's even more, but the point is that for something so important, the chat is an all-around mess. 

I agree but
1.1) Make it so that by default, it goes to the chat also, but you can toggle this with /toggleweazelchat (for example)

2.1) Remove these recurring ones after you get X experience. I think you should receive them up to a certain point - but it makes no sense for players to keep getting them after playing on the server for years, for example...

6 hours ago, Clank said:

You gotta tell em it wasnt me, this heavily implies I did it cause its my thread!

I, senior administrator ranger of eclipse roleplaying (english server) can confirm that Cyrus_Carver (Clank) did not ping me, or anyone to come look at this suggestion.

• Upvote 2

+1 , Definitely needs work/improvements. Some have 4x more then an average player in the chat box we have to filter through.

Viable Solution (and already tested with the lottery).

Related Suggestions

I'm the Weazel News Advertising Manager in game.

on an IC level some things can be changed. I can look into what options Weazel has and can look into testing some ideas. im open to suggestions that can be handled entirely as a player ICly, as I have no power over new scripts being put in, or whatever. Overall this would be a significant change to Weazel and how advertising works.

"especially when they do bulks where we get 10 ads back to back"

1. Chat spam: Weazel is only allowed to send 3 messages every 5 minutes. so people complaining that they see more than three coming in all at the same time isnt correct. The only time Ads are coming out more than three every 5 minutes is if someone sells an ad, which upon payment received, the invoice automatically sends one, so theres a chance that 4 ads could go out in quick succession.

Make Weazel ads a phone app that you scroll through like some kind of twitter feed.

2. Blocking / Moving Ads: Weazels entire income is almost completely supported by Ads. people buy ads specifically because they stand out so much and are seen by every player on the server. Making a simple quick toggle to disable being able to see them would drastically cut interest in buying ads, as most people would immediately just turn them off and never turn it back on. That would effectively kill all revenue for Weazel instantly, which is something that cant happen. I'm actively working on creating new revenue streams, but text ad sales is the basis of what Weazels income is, and touching that would be a significant blow to Weazel.

I would say if you have your phone off, Weazel News ads should not show up. that seems reasonable. a command to turn them off or burying them in the terrible phone system we have would effectively Kill a significant part of Weazel.

the aggressive use of colour that looks like someone has just dumped a box of crayola crayons out in front of you.

3. Color variation vs uniformity: Its a current IC policy within Weazel that people who make the ads are expected to use at least two colors, and some sort of emojis / icons. This system allows Weazel advertisers and Weazel customers to individualize their ads, do custom stuff to stand out. People pay for the ads in game specifically because they stick out and draw attention of the rest of the playerbase. A significant part of being an Advertiser at Weazel involves testing and practicing making appealing, interesting, eye catching ad designs. Obviously, lots of cooks in the kitchen making different ads for different people, there's not going to be any uniformity in the ads.

Theres a few potential changes that could be made to limit the "rainbow" of all the ads going out, but overall i think that would be a significant change within Weazel, and would be a disappointing loss for members of Weazel who enjoy the process of designing a quality ad. 

Edited by Demonmit1
added quotes

On 3/27/2024 at 1:45 AM, Demonmit1 said:

1. Chat spam: Weazel is only allowed to send 3 messages every 5 minutes. so people complaining that they see more than three coming in all at the same time isnt correct. The only time Ads are coming out more than three every 5 minutes is if someone sells an ad, which upon payment received, the invoice automatically sends one, so theres a chance that 4 ads could go out in quick succession.

Try 6 ads

Screenshot 2024-04-09 234004.png

• dead 1