Herbo

Change /time back to 12-Hour Format

So /time used to show the time in 8 PM and 8 AM, or 11PM and 11AM now it does it in the 24 hour format and we have to translate it the time. So for example it's 15:30 in-game right now, I don't wanna have to calculate that into the time. I think the old /time with the 12-hour format was better.

• NAY 2
  • dead 5

Just now, Apex said:

No. This is how the rest of the world does it and it is more accurate. It's not a lot of math to know that if it's 15 or anything that's more than 12 you take away 12 to get the American time. 

You really think it's easier to see it's 19 O Clock and do some math whether then just type it in and see "oh its 7pm UTC"

I can't believe you're serious

2 hours ago, Herbo said:

So /time used to show the time in 8 PM and 8 AM, or 11PM and 11AM now it does it in the 24 hour format and we have to translate it the time. So for example it's 15:30 in-game right now, I don't wanna have to calculate that into the time. I think the old /time with the 12-hour format was better.

"It is better" is just an opinion. I honestly don't care if it's 00:00 format or am/pm. Calculate, lmao

• yooo 1

+1
consider that all of the OOC event advertisements are posted as the 12 hour timescale with AM / PM while the in game clock uses 24 hour time. why use one timescale in part of the server and using a different timescale in a different part of the server? should be consistent. yes its a small amount of effort to do the quick mental math to convert 24 hour time to 12 hour time, but so many people are raised and have 12 hour time ingrained in their brain its mildly annoying to have to do the math to figure out what time it is.

for reference:
Periscope advertisement used 12 hour timescale
LSMC bonfire advert used  12 hour timescale
Club twilight used 12 hour timescale
Weazel maze used 12 hour timescale
server city wide event used 12 hour timescale

should be consistent, and /time should be changed to 12 hour time with AM / PM

EDIT: I agree with DontsniffSugar, why not just have it say both? that way its easy for everyone.

Edited by Demonmit1

-1 for me, keep in 24 hour format

Honestly, the maths not that hard to do. If you need to just break it down more. 19 = 2 - 10 which is 7pm. Over time you get used to associating the times. I don't see a reason to force everyone to use 12 hour timescale, when a vast majority use 24 hour timescale. We use km's in the server for responding to calls and taxi's why not also request we switch to miles. Same principals.

7 hours ago, Herbo said:

-1, I don't really see the difference at it almost, but I think that the 0:00 - 24:00 is way easier

-1. servers based in europe, should go by european time interpretation which is almost universally in 24hr format.

on a semi related note i find it quite amusing that that some people struggle with it. its not difficult to take 12 away from something, and the more you do it the more second nature it becomes until you dont see a difference.

1 hour ago, GodDammitKopi said:

What if we had the option for both? Like a way to toggle it between 12 hours and 24 hours then everyone is happy.

I mean if we could toggle it to players choice, that wouldnt be bad. but in my opinion we could better put the manhours required to implement that into more pressing concerns.

Edited by Quietthecutie

Just now, Undyingheart112 said:

massive +1 fuck math ong

You really shouldn’t be doing maths if you are needing to look at 17:00 and read 5 o’clock.

As someone stated before, if you are struggling with it, all you do is remove 12 from the hours and you get it in a 12 hour format, which you can do in like 0.5 seconds.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JWIT1 said:

You really shouldn’t be doing maths if you are needing to look at 17:00 and read 5 o’clock.

As someone stated before, if you are struggling with it, all you do is remove 12 from the hours and you get it in a 12 hour format, which you can do in like 0.5 seconds.

When you've grown up with a 12 hour format, you need to do the math until your brain builds a relation between the two times.I only learned as I worked in a factory for a few years, worked in a Pharmacy, and at my current job in backend Development in the US. It's the only time I've needed to use 24 hour format. It's not common in the US to do it, but it's just something that takes time.

While I don't think that we need to conform to one format, a toggle is a great suggestion, however in LEO factions, I think standardization is fine. I generally do all my time in 24 hour format since a lot of my things spill over to the next day.