Shannon

Let people go offline in jail

It's the risk of being a criminal. If you're bored then RP inside of the prison with other people. 

Enough people already don't value their freedom as it is, allowing people to serve time offline will just degrade the RP experience for everybody. Timers used to be higher, and they should be higher, because the entire reason we have a prison is so people RP'ly value their freedom, but if we just allowed people to serve their sentences offline then why should they ever care? The mentality will become "I don't care about getting caught, so I'm going to cause as much mayhem and crime as possible".

If there ever was an offline timer, then, maximum prison sentences should increase drastically.

Edited by Aldari_Tagril

9 minutes ago, Aldari_Tagril said:

if we just allowed people to serve their sentences offline then why should they ever care? The mentality will become "I don't care about getting caught, so I'm going to cause as much mayhem and crime as possible".

Why not make people care more about going to prison, apart from wasting 2 hours of their IRL time? A good suggestion for this is to make fines cost a lot more, people would avoid going to jail if they were going to lose lots of money as it takes ages to earn that money. Right now people dont care about going to jail anyways as they just wait till they go to bed to serve their jail time. 

Fines should cost more, but there are legitimate ways around that such as just having a bank man in your faction that holds everybody's money or, what people used to do, simply put all your money in the faction treasury. Or you just tie all of your wealth up in assets.

Also, that only hits rich criminals and some people don't care about having a lot of money. 

17 hours ago, Taedolf said:

Honestly I think the answer here is to add something to do in jail that would reduce your sentence time.  A menial job like one of those people do for money but for pennies on the dollar and x amount of time reduced per task completed.  Such would dissuade people from simply afk'ing if they wanted to get back to their RP'ing quicker and not punish those of us who have a limited amount of time to play.  Increasing jail times would harm those types of players I realize, after thinking about it.

I feel offering an option between AFK'ing and being bored waiting or gritting your teeth to get back faster is probably the way to go, because keeping a real consequence on the player is important here.  Coding a third option in being longer yet offering the ability to offline is a possibility but I'm not sure #1 if that's possible and #2 if it would still dissuade people from getting caught.  Basically I don't know, but those are some options I can think of.

I like the idea of having a job in jail... I understand both sides of this discussion, I think that having a job that take about 5 to 10 minutes could take off 5 minutes. I like this idea because your still rp'ing, playing the game, not afk, and working at achieving a short term goal. This could make an 2 hour jail sentence into an hour or 45 minute jail sentence, which is not bad compared to what it is. I like the idea @Taedolf

This would defeat the entire purpose of having IC consequences for your IC actions and it would mean you can benefit IC'ly from something by doing something OOC'ly, which defeats the purpose of RP. 

Getting 3+ hours is pretty difficult if you're IC'ly behaving intelligently, but everyone plays a character that way. I see almost everyday where people who are going to get a 10 minute jail sentence for reckless operation decide to run from the cops, create a pursuit and then turn it into a gun fight afterwards, resulting in their 10 minute jail sentence turning into a 400 minute prison sentence. You then shouldn't be rewarded by benefiting IC'ly from not playing the game, if prison RP is not something you're after then just make sure your character isn't going to prison, avoiding prison is not exactly difficult and I know plenty of criminals that I know OOC'ly commit a plethora of crimes, but they act smart IC'ly and thus avoid the charges. 

There is also plenty to do in prison, not so much jail, but there is plenty to do in prison. If you think the only thing to do in prison is beating each other up then that's just a lack of imagination I am afraid. There is nothing stopping people from interacting with each other and creating IC drama, story lines, friendships, alliances or conflicts that doesn't mean just randomly hitting each other for no reason, which would be deathmatching anyway. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Aldari_Tagril said:

This would defeat the entire purpose of having IC consequences for your IC actions and it would mean you can benefit IC'ly from something by doing something OOC'ly, which defeats the purpose of RP. 

Getting 3+ hours is pretty difficult if you're IC'ly behaving intelligently, but everyone plays a character that way. I see almost everyday where people who are going to get a 10 minute jail sentence for reckless operation decide to run from the cops, create a pursuit and then turn it into a gun fight afterwards, resulting in their 10 minute jail sentence turning into a 400 minute prison sentence. You then shouldn't be rewarded by benefiting IC'ly from not playing the game, if prison RP is not something you're after then just make sure your character isn't going to prison, avoiding prison is not exactly difficult and I know plenty of criminals that I know OOC'ly commit a plethora of crimes, but they act smart IC'ly and thus avoid the charges. 

There is also plenty to do in prison, not so much jail, but there is plenty to do in prison. If you think the only thing to do in prison is beating each other up then that's just a lack of imagination I am afraid. There is nothing stopping people from interacting with each other and creating IC drama, story lines, friendships, alliances or conflicts that doesn't mean just randomly hitting each other for no reason, which would be deathmatching anyway. 

hmmm not going to lie only people i see that make the same statements as you are other moderators and admins, probably because you guys go to jail much less if at all no offense just speaking facts

On 10/8/2019 at 1:21 AM, Aldari_Tagril said:

This would defeat the entire purpose of having IC consequences for your IC actions

The jail feels like OOC punishment right now. Forcing people to sit at their computers and doing nothing for 4h. That's not IC anymore. That affects my ooc relationships.

"hey wanna go out"

"nah I can't, I gotta stare at my pc for 4h"

Just no.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hilbert said:

The jail feels like OOC punishment right now. Forcing people to sit at their computers and doing nothing for 4h. That's not IC anymore. That affects my ooc relationships.

"hey wanna go out"

"nah I can't, I gotta stare at my pc for 4h"

Just no.

There are reasons to re-visit the prison sentences, specifically the removal of the AFK timer, but this? Affecting your OOC relationships? No.

"hey wanna go out"

"sure"

*close game*

???

No one is forcing you to do the prison time all at once, you can make those 4 hours by playing for 10 minutes a day for 24 days.

• Like 1

Something that I personally advocated for since the beginning of the fight for the unlimited prison time was offline jail sentence serving. 

The idea is the following:

A criminal, let's call him Joe gets arrested for shooting cops. It doesn't make sense for him to be out in two hours shooting cops again.

However, let's say that the same Joe gets arrested and under the unlimited prison time, receives a sentence of 6 hours. Now that's pretty lengthy to serve, especially without any AFK.

The solution: Joe logs off for the day, perhaps goes onto an alternate character, and the prison time goes down twice as slow. (12 hours)

This way Joe does not go back to shooting cops within two hours, there are consequences, but you also don't keep Joe in the desolate prison for 6 hours.

I feel like it's the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

Something that I personally advocated for since the beginning of the fight for the unlimited prison time was offline jail sentence serving. 

A criminal, let's call him Joe gets arrested for shooting cops. It doesn't make sense for him to be out in two hours shooting cops again.

However, let's say that the same Joe gets arrested and under the unlimited prison time, receives a sentence of 6 hours. Now that's pretty lengthy to serve, especially without any AFK.

The solution: Joe logs off for the day, perhaps goes onto an alternate character, and the prison time goes down twice as slow. (12 hours)

This way Joe does not go back to shooting cops within two hours, there are consequences, but you also don't keep Joe in the desolate prison for 6 hours.

Even if the sentance is doubbled for offline jtime, you are still able to ooc searve your time for a ic consequence which should not be aloud. If You do something ic then you face the consequences ic aswell. (The only exception to this is admin reports)

23 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

There are reasons to re-visit the prison sentences, specifically the removal of the AFK timer, but this? Affecting your OOC relationships? No.

"hey wanna go out"

"sure"

*close game*

???

No one is forcing you to do the prison time all at once, you can make those 4 hours by playing for 10 minutes a day for 24 days.

no i have busy life

jail is abseloutly an ooc punishment right now, we have said it so many times but looks like no one cares that much, they don't want to reduce it and even add anything to the jail. people who say that you can rp in the jail are mostly legal characters or never been into jail alone for a couple hours.

just serve the time man, im over it

-1, I think twice now before doing stuff. Although I would love to see the jailtime go down really really really slow when offline aswell.
There has been similair suggestions in the past when unlimited jail time became a thing. I also suggested a really slow count down there when offline too, but I can't find that topic back since it has been quite a while.

Edited by Yputi
  • PogU 1

2 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

+1 to that! This is the only sane option in this situation. Right now, you should not be punished with boredom (as you spend actual hours of your life barely even playing). I know this is an RP server, but we all must remember that this is still a game. It is not fun to do nothing for hours on end.

Doubling the time of the sentence if you decide to spend it OOCly makes a lot of sense, preventing serious criminals from coming back too quickly and may give people a chance to work on other characters they may have, or actually spend their time doing something.

Only flaw I see with this is it reduces RP with the DOC. I don't see everyone logging off as soon as they get arrested but I'm sure this would be a problem. Maybe a workaround is making it so your prison time doesn't go down if any DOC is online while you're offline in prison.

20 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

This is probably the best jail suggestion have you thought to make a post about this because I think personally after spending ALOT of time in jail this is the best out come. 

Like others have said, there is no role play in jail and if there is it’s 5 minutes out of your 4hr+ sentence. DOC workers avoid all contact with you at all cost hell most of the time they just /jail you threw the entrance to the prison they are not there to RP at all I’ve been in there before when someone was injured and they asked for a medic when the DOC worker replied with “ he will wake up in his cell soon” simply can’t be bothered to RP with you. 

No one plays poker no one mines and if they do it’s until they realise they are getting $22 per ore and if you happen to go to the toilet and get bashed and lose your items or simply reconnect inside of the prison you will lose everything you just mined away for because you just fell threw the floor and injured yourself there goes 4hrs of mining 

Edited by Dylan Ortiz
  • Like 1

In my opinion it's honestly kind of dumb that I have to sit in jail in game for my entire sentence...... The fact that I can't disconnect or even go afk in the cell to do my jail time is arguably one of the dumbest designs i've ever seen. Ive seen people say that if you don't want to deal with jail then don't commit crimes but this is literally Grand Theft Auto. This game was made with the intention of the players to commit crimes, If I thought being a garbage collector was soooo fun that I wanna do it in game, I'd just become a garbage collector in real life. Atleast let me play my other chracter and work the jailtime down. But the fact that I have to be there and sit in the jail cell and do nothing but still have to pay attention to the game is so stupid. Atleast make a "sleep" function in jail where my character lays in the jail cell bed and I can go afk while my jail time runs down. And I know people have the opinion that I shouldn't go afk in the jail cause what if people wanna RP with me and im not there but the only thing i've experienced in jail so far is minges calling me the N'word and RDM'ing me. There is no roleplay that takes place in jail, either you're left entirely alone or you're getting punched to death by other players.

What would be the point of going to jail if you could serve your time offline? Just commit a crime and then go to sleep for the night, wake up and be out? Also, this isn't Grant Theft Auto, it's Eclipse Roleplay, and it differs significantly.

• Like 1
  • NAY 2

I do not agree with that. Prison would become completely useless at this point.Many people who are now afraid of imprisonment would run around the city for no reason and commit crimes without hesitation. Imprisonment must be boring because this is the only way we will maintain fear and respect for prison. There are already too many reckless crimes on the server, and if we do it like you saud the number will only increase and ruin the game for heavy Rp players.

• Like 1

You made the choice to roleplay as a criminal which results in you getting roleplay consequences. If you weren't ready to roleplay in prison, you shouldn't have roleplayed your way there. 

There's already some suggestions saying it should count down 1/4 the speed if you're offline, which I do agree with, but you shouldn't be able to just leave and have a long sentence just disappear overnight.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.