Hector2Fingers

Allow /ram to work on interior furniture doors.

As it currently stands, the only way for anyone (PD/MD included) to unlock an interior door is with bolt cutters.  Yet, they have the ability to /ram open exterior doors by RP'ing things like breaching rounds in a shotgun, a heavy door breaching ram, etc.  It doesn't make much sense to me that these tools would work on exterior doors (which are generally more securable with things like dead bolt locks), but would not work at all against a simple interior door.

Most times when Government factions are using bolt cutters are during a breach on a building (ie:  drug lab fire).  Players are aware that locking one simple door can delay PD by several minutes as bolt cutters fail and break quite often.  Many players place 1-3 doors between their exterior door until you are actually into their lab.  This makes the RP scenarios involving any lab fires last incredibly long (I've been at several of them lasting well over an hour).  Most of this time is spent simply waiting for doors to be bolt cut.  I think it makes for very stale RP until the doors are opened and the actual RP can begin.

In lieu of adding the /ram command to work on interior doors, I propose that bolt cutters at least be added to Government Factions that would use them through /fl.

Edited by Hector2Fingers
Grammar fix
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
  • chill 2

Huge +1

These scenes are so stretched out because of the interior furniture doors. Not to mention how much money Officers spend out of their personal cash to help do their job.

Edit: It seems like the criminal argument to counter this is saying "I have to pay for bolt cutters, so should PD". The HUGE difference here is that if I am on my criminal and I buy bolt-cutters, I'm buying them to most likely make a nice profit stealing things for myself.

If I'm on my PD character, I'm not making any profit, just standing around twiddling our thumbs while we bolt cutter through a maze of interior doors for a hour or more, just to destroy whatever we do get from the inside.

Edited by Willowick

+1 

It is currently pretty hard to handle any locked interior doors for both PD/SD and FD.
Also it honestly doesn’t make much sense for the PD to send an officer to a store to buy bolt cutters with their own cash with a hope they can maybe get it refunded. 

The reason for the /ram is to gain entry to a property. The /ram is therefore limited to SWAT and FD to prevent every crim from raiding everyones house on the map while players are offline.

Realistically, if a shotgun blast can open a door anyone with a shotgun should be able to open that door and not just SWAT.

Criminals raiding also have to go through the pain of opening 1-3 doors just like lore enforcement. Expect ofcourse criminals actually have to pay for the equipment where obviously lore enforcement have an endless supply. 

The problem you raised is it takes too long. Maybe a solution to this is increasing chance of success on bolt cutters. Or allow all players to be able to shoot open doors with /ram in exteriors. And not just PD / SD.

Currently the process of a house raid is fairly slow like you said. I personally don't think the PD mentality of looting criminals and locking them up as fast as possible is a healthy mindset for RP. I belive house raids especially should take time. You have an endless supply of money, you can buy as many bolt cutters as you want. Furthermore, RP doesn't stop when doors are being bolt cut, lots of opertunitys could still be going on.

By speeding the process of a house raid you only decrease the chance of further RP such as criminals attempting to retrieve and save items or criminals planning an ambush as the goods are transported.

Just my opinion on the whole suggestion.

• Like 7
  • Confused 6

14 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

The reason for the /ram is to gain entry to a property. The /ram is therefore limited to SWAT and FD to prevent every crim from raiding everyones house on the map while players are offline.

Realistically, if a shotgun blast can open a door anyone with a shotgun should be able to open that door and not just SWAT.

Criminals raiding also have to go through the pain of opening 1-3 doors just like lore enforcement. Expect ofcourse criminals actually have to pay for the equipment where obviously lore enforcement have an endless supply. 

The problem you raised is it takes too long. Maybe a solution to this is increasing chance of success on bolt cutters. Or allow all players to be able to shoot open doors with /ram in exteriors. And not just PD / SD.

Currently the process of a house raid is fairly slow like you said. I personally don't think the PD mentality of looting criminals and locking them up as fast as possible is a healthy mindset for RP. I belive house raids especially should take time. You have an endless supply of money, you can buy as many bolt cutters as you want. Furthermore, RP doesn't stop when doors are being bolt cut, lots of opertunitys could still be going on.

By speeding the process of a house raid you only decrease the chance of further RP such as criminals attempting to retrieve and save items or criminals planning an ambush as the goods are transported.

Just my opinion on the whole suggestion.

I am in no way suggesting that the /ram command be available for anyone other than SWAT & FD.  Standard Police Officers would not have access to shotgun's breaching rounds or a battering ram.  Those are currently exclusive to Metro/SWAT and should remain that way.

You said it exactly correct that the use of /ram is to gain entry to a property.  I'm curious as to why you believe that placing an interior door would realistically cause a massive delay for a trained SWAT team by several minutes while they attempt to gain entry to a property?

In a realistic situation, if a SWAT team is breaching a building and smashes through the front door, their element of surprise is gone (which is within their trainings a one of the most important factors in an operation).  There is not one single SWAT team in the world that would spend the next 15 minutes carefully using another tool to open less secure interior doors.  They would get them all down as fast as possible in order to gain entry and continue their operation in order to save anyone in danger or deter the target from being able to prepare once the initial breach is made.

From the MD/FD side of things, do you feel it's realistic to carefully bolt cut a door open when there could potentially be people burning to death in the apartment building or having the fire potentially spread to multiple floors?  No.  They would axe the door down as fast as possible to asses the situation, put out the flames, provide medical attention, etc.

27 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

Currently the process of a house raid is fairly slow like you said. I personally don't think the PD mentality of looting criminals and locking them up as fast as possible is a healthy mindset for RP.

Strange to see that assumptions of an underlying mentality have already made their way into this suggestion, not even within 10 hours of the suggestion being made. The concern raised with time is not an issue with "mentality pointing towards looting and locking up" and does not even point towards that in the slightest, this entire suggestion has to do with the fact that law enforcement has a command readily available that is used to bust down a door that cannot be used and has to be substituted by a lengthy process of bolt cutters, which becomes incredibly obvious in the sentences (or, an entire paragraph if you will) before any mention of time is made.

The entry into a property by law enforcement is not at all comparable to the entry of a property by civilians or criminals, the latter of which usually have malicious intend. But no, it makes sense, the battering ram must have slipped out of the hands of a trained SWAT Officer, resulting in it being completely broken and unusable, raising the need to run to a convenience store and buy a pair of bolt cutters to break open a door when chance are there's someone dying or in dire need of assistance on the other side, just so that law enforcement and criminals have an even playing field. 

I understand the idea of balancing, but requiring law enforcement to keep racing back and forth between a convenience store and a property to play a game of RNG when a command already exists to serve this exact purpose is not it. This would not even be such a large time-related concern for all those involved in roleplay located inside of apartments where doors need to be breached, usually as a result of an explosion, if it was not for the fact that everyone seems to have a dozen doors/airlocks between the entry of the apartment and the actual area where people need to be. 

Raids carried out by law enforcement will still take ample time, things have to be roleplayed out properly and appropriately. The use of the battering ram through /ram would likely be better roleplayed, and more frequently at that, than repeated uses of the same items in an attempt to open a door. Wanting a different or more efficient way to make one's way into a property as an illegal character, that's fair, but suggesting to keep law enforcement on the same level as bolt cutters just does not make sense to me.

33 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

I'm not entirely sure why you're making this point. As it stands majority of the apartments/house we raid end up with 0 arrest cause either the criminal was able to run away or they died in the explosion. Even if there is a criminal there and we arrest them they to have to wait the entire time we are raiding the house before they can go to DOC and start their prison time which prolongs their ability to RP. 

It also doesn't really make RP sense to have a maze of doors between the front door and the actual lab.

To tell you straight, I see that your problem is that you don`t have a command "/ramall" (/ram that can be used for all the doors, because you know scriptly there are 2 different things interior doors with property doors) or a quick menu button to press and to give you free bolt cutters.

You say that bolt cutting a door takes too long? Take 5 bolt cutters with you and try to use them, it won`t take 1 hour to open a door.

Edited by Prozacel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirQubed said:

Even if there is a criminal there and we arrest them they to have to wait the entire time we are raiding the house before they can go to DOC and start their prison time which prolongs their ability to RP. 

This

Keep in mind that the few times we do arrest people, I find that they spend the entire time just insulting us and asking when they will be transported to DOC to get it over with.

Also the ones who just resort to absolute earrape or /b.

Theres only so much we can do for an hour standing outside while everyone else is inconvenienced by PD having to keep the entrance to the apartment building blocked off. 

Also a +1 from me on the suggestion. Interior doors tend to be made cheaper than exterior doors, as it just is not necessary for them to be reinforced. If you have already breached the exterior door with a ram/breaching shells, you tend to still have more breaching shells to continue to breach interior doors deemed too difficult to kick in, or for a ram to actually break.

36 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

1. PD does not have an endless supply. Every time I use bolt cutters to open the 5 doors inbetween the entrance and drug lab it comes straight out of my pocket buying them at stores and I get nothing out of it. 
2. The difference between Law Enforcement breaking into a drug lab and a criminal doing so is that Law Enforcement have heavy regulations to when they're allowed to raid a building ( Both IC and OOC regulations ) such as needing a warrant, proper cause and evidence to support said cause. Law Enforcment has nothing to gain by raiding a drug lab or house whilst if a criminal does so they can take everything as straight profit. 

39 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

By speeding the process of a house raid you only decrease the chance of further RP

The same argument could be applied to several other things but simply I'll say this. 
Having the entirety of PD held up at an apartment for 2 hours whilst some member of SWAT plays RNG with a door for 40 minutes heavily decreases RP for the rest of the server wanting to interact with Law Enforcement

42 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

These statements are quite ignorant and makes so many assumptions as to PD's intentions. We do not have a mindset to quickly loot the place, lock up the criminal and leave. We want the scene secured quickly so that we're not blocking 10 people from entering their apartments and holding up the entire department from other 911 calls. 
PD has an endless supply of money the same way crims have an endless supply of drug manufacturing material. We still have to work for our money the same you guys do. 90% of bolt cutters used come out of our own pocket.

5 minutes ago, Prozacel said:

To tell you straight, I see that your problem is that you don`t have a command /ramall or a quick menu button to press and to give you free bolt cutters.

You say that bolt cutting a door it takes too long? Take 5 bolt cutters with you and try to use them, it won`t take 1 hour to open a door.

If you read the actual suggestion I think you'd notice that not once was a /ramall command suggested, don't know where you read that as being the suggestion in question?

• POG 1

23 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

I personally don't think the PD mentality of looting criminals and locking them up as fast as possible is a healthy mindset for RP.

So you boil a suggestion designed for having more time to actually roleplay than toy around with locked door after locked door which, realistically speaking would be able to be opened in a matter of seconds to "PD mentality of looting criminals and locking them up as fast as possible"? But I guess placing multiple doors between a front entrance and a lab or storage is solely for "aesthetic" reasons?

29 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

You have an endless supply of money, you can buy as many bolt cutters as you want.

So legal characters should be fine with spending their limited self-earned money on bolt-cutters to be able to do their job properly, where realistically speaking equipment is provided by the government as it's public law enforcement? How does that make any kind of sense from an in-character point of view?

33 minutes ago, MrDisciple said:

Expect ofcourse criminals actually have to pay for the equipment where obviously lore enforcement have an endless supply. 

Yes, criminals that work for themselves to make a living pay for their own equipment and legal faction characters that work for the government have their equipment provided to them by the government. I don't really see your point here - what do you think is unrealistic or a bad suggestion about this? All it looks to me is you're trying to make this another "LEO vs crim" discussion rather than actually commenting on a suggestion that's supposed to fix a roleplay problem that affects a number of people.

Back to the actual suggestion. Big +1 for this. I log in and play to roleplay and interact with others. Not to play RNG with the sixth successive floating door. If devs see it as a problem that this would speed the overall process up too much, perhaps make a drawback. Make the overall process of disassembling these kind of labs which it's mostly about take longer by for example making the average volume higher, having it be a longer time to take it all away. However, I really do not see the added value from any perspective to play RNG with doors.

It shouldn't be easy for PD to raid a 400-500k drug lab. It makes no sense RPly. Drug labs would be heavily guarded and secured with as many locks & doors as possible. Criminal world has its own hardships, and so PD should have. We can't just make everything easy for PD. We are speaking about players losing 400-500k when PD raids their property, it should take time.

• Like 3

I don't reply to most of the PD/Crim update suggestion because people instantly turned into argument and starts comparing between PD vs Crim. While reading the comments and suggestion above, I would like to quote one comment. 

31 minutes ago, Kempi Anderson said:

PD has an endless supply of money the same way crims have an endless supply of drug manufacturing material.

Well, there is huge difference between PD supplies of supply which spawns in faction treasury (that's what I have heard from others but since I have only been playing crim since joined server) and in other hand, for criminals, if you order 250 chemicals, it consumes almost one third of your faction shipment power and in the present context, there are some faction which can barely order these chemicals, I have never seen SD/PD running out of budget.  I am not sure which endless supplies are you talking about butt if you are talking about drug manufacturing materials which we can buy from humane then you are 

39 minutes ago, Kempi Anderson said:

90% of bolt cutters used come out of our own pocket.

And PD/SD gets refunded for that as per someone who mentioned above. 

41 minutes ago, Kempi Anderson said:

Law Enforcment has nothing to gain by raiding a drug lab or house whilst if a criminal does so they can take everything as straight profit.

Law Enforcement has nothing to gain with any raid or criminal arrest but still they do. They doesn't get profit doesn't mean RP of Law Enforcement should be speedup, the more time it takes for RP, more opportunity crim gets to respond on raid which makes things balanced.

I have been playing on this server since one and half year and been one of the most active player as crim. I would like to see some changes in Crim and Civilian which makes everyone enjoyable. There are different types of people who plays here, someone comes only for fight whereas someone comes only to play poker and do other regular things which they do always, I hope there will be more things to explore in server in future which will make people exciting rather than trying to  balance existing system. 

• Like 5

I'd rather have the command itself changed to function on furniture doors, but in the absence of that at least allow PD to use funds from faction treasury to pull cutters from the /FL menu similarly to how GPS and map are pulled from treasury to get installed in cruisers. At least then this eliminates the very strange interaction of having to leave a crime scene to go to a convenience store to purchase equipment and then filing an expense request (????) when that equipment should be provided by the department and carried in vehicles we use for raids.

PD shouldn't have a faster way to breakdown doors while raiding someone. I do understand that realistically they should but it doesn't give the owner or his gang/friends the chance to engage in the raiding. It happens really rarely but i feel like it should be an option. Both legal and illegal factions have their advantages and disadvantages but this would give PD/SD a huge advantage to do it quickly. I understand that if roleplay situation takes a long time it could become tiring. I would agree that bolt cutters should be added to PD/SD as an unlimited supply but not /ram command which makes it a 5 minute job AT MOST. Criminals do take all the profit from raiding someone but it's a rare thing too because of the strict ooc rules and not like it was before the house raiding rule. As someone who has never been in PD/SD I understand the frustration when the bolt cutters take a long time to work but it's always luck, maybe next time it will only take one bolt-cutter to break down the door and sometimes it takes 5 tries. IMO bolt-cutters should be provided for PD/SD factions but not /ram commands which just speeds up the roleplay and doesn't give a chance for others to interfere. 

1 hour ago, Asiantator said:

Keep in mind that the few times we do arrest people, I find that they spend the entire time just insulting us and asking when they will be transported to DOC to get it over with.

Also the ones who just resort to absolute earrape or /b.

Theres only so much we can do for an hour standing outside while everyone else is inconvenienced by PD having to keep the entrance to the apartment building blocked off. 

Don't forget that PD/SD are not the only ones to deal with this kind of thing. Criminals deal with it every time they rob someone or get into a shootout. Building labs and it exploding is extremely frustrating for some because if you have never been a crim you don't actually know how long it actually takes to get the lab in the first place and how much money goes into it. Usually it's over a million and just think how long it takes to gather all that money for someone who doesn't have a consistent money supply like working at bayview/lsc/pd/doc/dcc/sd. Plus if you are not in a crim faction it's even wayyyy harder and can actually take multiple MONTHS to get it. Imagine yourself in that situation.... Wouldn't you be mad? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

+1

It just makes no sense we can knock down the front door without any issues but struggle with any other door. While most of the time the front door is usually more reinforced then interior doors.

2 hours ago, MrDisciple said:

slow like you said. I personally don't think the PD mentality of looting criminals and locking them up as fast as possible is a healthy mindset for RP. I belive house raids especially should take time. You have an endless supply of money, you can buy as many bolt cutters as you want. Furthermore, RP doesn't stop when doors are being bolt cut, lots of opertunitys could still be going on.

It's not about speeding it up. I personally still /dice when I try to /ram a door and let the roll decide how the door reacts. So it's really not about the speed, more for realism in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Lelecx said:

i feel like it should be an option. Both legal and illegal factions have their advantages and disadvantages but this would give PD/SD a huge advantage to do it quickly. I understand that if roleplay situation takes a long time it could become tiring. I would agree that bolt cutters should be added to PD/SD as an unlimited supply but not /ram command which makes it a 5 minute job AT MOST. Criminals do take all the profit from raiding someone but it's a rare thing too because of the strict ooc rules and not like it was before the house raiding rule. As someone who has never been in PD/SD I understand the frustration when the bolt cutters take a long time to work but it's always luck, maybe next time it will only take one bolt-cutter to break down the door and sometimes it takes 5 tries. IMO bolt-cutters should be provided for PD/SD factions but not /ram commands which just speeds up the roleplay and doesn't give a chance for others to interfere. 

Don't forget that PD/SD are not the only ones to deal with this kind of thing. Criminals deal with it every time they rob someone or get into a shootout. Building labs and it exploding is extremely frustrating for some because if you have never been a crim you don't actually know how long it actually takes to get the lab in the first place and how much money goes into it. Usually it's over a million and just think how long it takes to gather all that money for someone who doesn't have a consistent money supply like working at bayview/lsc/pd/doc/dcc/sd. Plus if you are not in a crim faction it's even wayyyy harder and can actually take multiple MONTHS to get it. Imagine yourself in that situation.... Wouldn't you be mad? 

I do very much get your point. And I personally already would be happy to simply receive the option to grab a set of boltcutters (that we rply only should get out of specific vehicles in that case, so we don't just whip it out). I think that would be a nice middle ground for now at least. As I do agree that a house raid should not be a short task, both from a realism pov but also to give crims a chance to counter it. 

EDIT: Hit send too early on previous post and now I made two posts, silly phone >.<

Edited by Junkfood
Wanted to explain as to why I split up my post

5 hours ago, jdeclue1 said:

Your suggestion affects game balance, my comment is also related to game balance.

This is an RP server, and the objective it should not be to "win", it should be to freaking RP. This seems to have been lost on many crim roleplayers - not all, but quite a few.

Yes. It's harder to be a crim than it is to be police. This is also the case IRL, which this server is attempting to replicate. This isn't supposed to be some kind of cops vs robbers server where the cops NEED to have something to lose. This kind of mentality is ruining the community.

With that being said, +1 - of course. It makes no IC sense for SWAT to go buy bolt-cutters when they have usable rams which they RP much better with than with bolt cutters. Anyone that disagrees with this is too far inside of the win vs lose mentality and is honestly ruining the roleplay experience in the server. Sorry.

• YAY 1

22 minutes ago, SaltyPython said:

This is an RP server, and the objective it should not be to "win", it should be to freaking RP. This seems to have been lost on many crim roleplayers - not all, but quite a few.

Yes. It's harder to be a crim than it is to be police. This is also the case IRL, which this server is attempting to replicate. This isn't supposed to be some kind of cops vs robbers server where the cops NEED to have something to lose. This kind of mentality is ruining the community.

With that being said, +1 - of course. It makes no IC sense for SWAT to go buy bolt-cutters when they have usable rams which they RP much better with than with bolt cutters. Anyone that disagrees with this is too far inside of the win vs lose mentality and is honestly ruining the roleplay experience in the server. Sorry.

Not sure where I said it should be balanced where the encounters are 50/50. I'm saying that there is blatant disregard for RP related circumstances when it comes to protecting the cops from less than fun RP (ie: such as their guns not being lootable, their cars not starting even if you lock pick them, etc.) I have no issues with the balance as it relates to the cops winning most encounters with criminals (as that is primarily the case in real life as well).  My issue is that the balance is already in the PD's favor and the quality of life for the average criminal is already pretty substandard.  

I'm all for PD not having to go out of pocket to buy the boltcutters, but to essentially nerf the drug tables (by making it much easier to get your lab taken from you) for the sake of RP? Ok, I agree, the next time I shoot a cop, I want his shotgun, it's too obvious that it would be on the ground lying next to him.

Also, for the sake of argument, if I was a drug making criminal, the door you see from the outside would just be for cosmetic purposes, I'd have monstrous steel reinforced doors that have been braced from the inside to ensure you had to use some sort of explosives or new very expensive thing to get through it. 😉

6 minutes ago, jdeclue1 said:

Not sure where I said it should be balanced where the encounters are 50/50. I'm saying that there is blatant disregard for RP related circumstances when it comes to protecting the cops from less than fun RP (ie: such as their guns not being lootable, their cars not starting even if you lock pick them, etc.) I have no issues with the balance as it relates to the cops winning most encounters with criminals (as that is primarily the case in real life as well).  My issue is that the balance is already in the PD's favor and the quality of life for the average criminal is already pretty substandard.  

I'm all for PD not having to go out of pocket to buy the boltcutters, but to essentially nerf the drug tables (by making it much easier to get your lab taken from you) for the sake of RP? Ok, I agree, the next time I shoot a cop, I want his shotgun, it's too obvious that it would be on the ground lying next to him.

Also, for the sake of argument, if I was a drug making criminal, the door you see from the outside would just be for cosmetic purposes, I'd have monstrous steel reinforced doors that have been braced from the inside to ensure you had to use some sort of explosives or new very expensive thing to get through it. 😉

Not to turn this into an argument, because this suggestion thread isn't exactly the place for it, but having /ram affecting interior doors DOES NOT NERF DRUG LABS. All this does is delay the inevitable - it's a quality of life improvement to prevent PD from having to play a game of having to go buy boltcutters. If SWAT is at your door, your drug lab is going. What you're asking for is something that would ACTUALLY change the dynamic completely, leading to people going around to cops and try to bait them just to get their weapons. This has been discussed time and time again, and has been deemed a bad idea over and over again.

And if you do have monstrous steel reinforced doors where you'd use explosives, it would make more sense for PD to have a forceful command that allows them to blow it up rather than using bolt cutters - it still makes no sense to force PD to go buy them.

Your argument doesn't make much sense, and seems to be driven by the fact that you want more advantages, when this is a QoL update at best. Now, let's not clutter up this thread as this is obviously turning into the 1 millionth PD vs Crim thread.

Edited by SaltyPython