TheCactus

Boats and Fishing

Please read before replying.

OLD: Since they were added, boats, boat dealerships and the oceanic gas station did not receive any attention. At the beginning, we could even say that some Sea of Thieves fans started using them daily and police received multiple reports of boats being stolen, criminals picking up weapon drops in boats and pirates presence. Day after day, the hype died down and when the Del Perro Pier wasn't a vibrant hot spot (about 6 months ago), they were being used for fishing and evading police in some occasions. Right now, maybe 10 players use boats once a week and since the server shouldn't be all sports cars and drags, we should try to "bring them back".

If we talk about fishing, we all know that the Del Perro Pier is where you should go. In real life you would not have so much people fish in such a busy place because noise scare the fish and fishing lines get interwined when everybody is so close together but overall, the Pier is a nice place and it's good for RP. Nothing should change about it except for the fact that fishing isn't dynamic at all.
Some of you may think "Does fishing really need all this attention?"; look at the Pier and count all the people that come and go. After doing that, add the criminals that do it when they are bored and the legal workers that get their fishing roads out of their trunks when they're sick of repairing cars. Most of the server fishes but we don't do it at the same time.

NEW: I still care about boats and the side of the server that has to do with water and fishing. Nothing changed when it comes to fishing. A fishing rod is still a $1000 investment that can make you rich, despite how boring fishing can really be and the relatively small amount of money it takes to do it. I believe that each and every player did fish at some point and I would want to see more from it. If not for me, then it should be for the new players.
Cayo Perico has been introduced months ago but it's still a deserted island. I've been at some events on it and some players use it for criminal roleplay knowing that nobody can bother them there. I'll be honest and say that no suggestion comes through my mind when thinking about Cayo other than rare animals we can hunt and rare fish. What do you think?

Downsides
Fuel: there's only one gas station and due to prices, most people use jerry cans
Desynced: all vehicles are, to be fair, but waves make everything worse

Park: your boat will get stolen unless you have a very good hiding spot or a house with boat parking and to be fair, where I live boats don't get stolen
Fish: fishing at Del Perro Pier or the dam is really boring while being an acceptable source of income
Choice: there are only 3 sea vehicles available for the public

Changes
Fuel: add a gas station somewhere up north (maybe Paleto) and reduce the import price for fuel

COMMANDS ADDED Desynced: add a /anchor command for the captain, that turns it into a stone wall (the only thing that came through my mind)
ADDED ON ECLIPSE  Park: Add a harbor next to Mors Oceanic, which will work just like the parking lot but more expensive (just like in real life)
Impound: with the existence of a harbor there should also be a boat impound somewhere at the docks, even if people hate the word "impound"
Fish: fishing in the open sea should be more rewarding (maybe add bigger fish that weight and cost a lot more and certain areas have expensive fish)
ADDED ON ECLIPSE  Choice: adding more boats can easily solve the problem. With the new /modview we should also be able to cusomize more than before. Devs know better though

Dynamic fishing market
(The prices you see here are just examples, since it's the foundry menu)
lIIXU9O.png

Just like the butcher's, the fish drop off should have a dynamic market if more varieties of fish are added for those who do it with a boat in the open sea. Bigger and expensive fish should be found in higher quantities up north, it should weight a lot and having a big boat that can make big trips from the county to Los Santos would add the captain vibe to the game while making it worth the time.
An alternative is using a small boat up north, loading the big fish into a truck at the Paleto Pier and driving all the way back to the city to sell it.
There are many cool suggestions about fishing so I will link them down below:

New Boats

Tug

The biggest boat available for players. It should cost at least $350.000 so it's not used by randoms in Non-RP ways. It should be the vehicle with most volume and having it nearby (intended as either very close to you or being on it) should allow players to reel in fish with a higher frequence. Maybe they can have an interior like RVs; the 1G ghetto interior with no windows.

Toro (4 seats) ADDED ON ECLIPSE 
Expensive boat for those who really care about showing off and love the sea.

Jetmax (2 seats) ADDED ON ECLIPSE 
The Jetmax is one of the fastest boats in the whole GTA series, and it is the fastest in GTA V (considering both acceleration and top speed). The performance should match the price.

Tropic (4 seats) ADDED ON ECLIPSE 
In the GTA series, the Tropic used to be a mini-yacht. It kinda lost its luxurious traits in the last GTA but it still looks different from other boats.

Harbor (next to Mors Oceanic) ADDED ON ECLIPSE
The /park feature should be available in multiple areas of the harbor and the /anchor command should not work in such tight places.

Cayo Perico - GTA V 

CAYO PERICO WAS ADDED With the next DLC, announced as the biggest GTA V DLC, Rockstar will add a new island that players can spend time on even when they are not in a mission!
With all the water we see, I think that the addition of new sea vehicles is inevitable and having more to allow players to reach the island would be amazing.
(It's one of the reasons why I started the suggestion but it got lost while I was writing it up.)

Please reply with suggestions and opinions. I might've forgot something that it is worth mentioning and you're probably the only one who noticed

Edited by TheCactus
Updates
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Biggest +1 I've ever seen.

This is an amazing idea and I believe will bring new life to deserted areas of the server. Perhaps randomly generated fishing hospots (like the chopshops used to be) can be implemented to spawn in those rarer fish more often, requiring people to spread out around the map.

Not only that, it would bring more action to PD and SD with boat pursuits as well as checking for fishing licenses if the government implements that.

To add to the suggestion above, I'd possibly include a second marina in sandy and one in paleto. This is because, as it stands, the Alamo Sea area and Sandy Shores don't get nearly enough activity in the server. Another thing I'd add is other boats:

Pegassi Speeder

Jla9sFl.jpg

Shitzu Suntrap

ucLEsfo.jpg

Shitzu Squalo

8FSR9bp.jpg

As well as the lifeguard vehicles which aren't currently implemented. This could be as it stands a branch of LSEMS or it's own agency as in real life, perhaps coupled with the Park Rangers into a single agency as that's how it is in real life (such as the California State Park Peace Officers)

To finish off, the new GTA update will feature a brand new island so this can be a great way to complement that.

Edited by gmtavares
Broken Images

20 minutes ago, Jleoni said:

Isn't this dependent on RAGE updates (desync, etc.)? 

Current 'boat action' is borderline unplayable because of that

Borderline unplayable is a big statement.
When the boat is moving, everything works fine. I had a good number of boat situations from pursuits to simple swimmers so I am not just assuming.
When the boat is stationary and nobody is driving it, the waves move it in different locations for all players. Going out of stream range and back in will teleport the boat back where it was left initially but if you stay next to it, you will see it move and people that are on it (and not inside as scripted passengers) will appear to be levitating because the boat is somewhere else for them. That's what the /anchor command should be used for.

Edited by TheCactus

Just now, TheCactus said:

Borderline unplayable is a big statement.
When the boats are moving, everything works fine. I had a good number of boat situations from pursuits to simple swimmers so I am just assuming.
When the boat is stationary and nobody is driving it, the waves move it in different locations for all players. Going out of stream range and back in will teleport the boat back where it was left initially but if you stay next to it, you will see it move and people that are on it (and not inside as scripted passengers) will appear to be levitating because the boat is somewhere else for them.

I've messed about a minimal amount with boats and it resulted on floating players and desync, but perhaps my experience was isolated 

Big +1 to a new fishing system, variety of fish and dynamic prices. Pier is booming again and people would use boats more often. Also adding some type of rare and expensive fish, harder to catch with the script. Getting clothing / empty cans stuck to your fishing line. 

Just some random ideas that could make it more interesting and fun!