kenichis

Fear RP should include melee weapons

I’m going to start this off by saying that yes, I do realize that the rulebook says its only a few examples and its not limited to those situations.

• Examples (but not limited to), where your character’s life is considered to be in direct danger:

• When you are on foot or bike and a weapon is aimed at you at close range.

• When you’re in a vehicle that is stalled or turned off and a weapon is aimed at you close range.

• When the attacker lowers their weapon to type or roleplay, your life remains in direct danger.

• Driving a vehicle in an active shootout more than once without the intent of protecting a friend, fleeing with it, or using it as cover.

What I want to suggest is that when you’re being held up by a knife / melee weapon, you would obviously be under fear RP. But, thats not quite the case as I’ve seen numerous people just run after being held at close range with a knife. Its unreasonable to think that you would be able to pull out your weapon or resist in ridiculous ways while you are pointed at with a sharp object. While technically, if I took those situations to the forums they might be handled as a breach of Fear RP but, it would be much easier if they just included an example of Fear RP using a melee weapon in the rulebook. Example:

• When you are on foot and a sharp weapon is held at you in close range

It would be a very simple addition and might spare some people from having to argue wether he was under Fear RP or not. Leave me your thoughts down below.

I'm not sure about all that, i mean part of the fear of a gun is that you have no real chance of dodging the projectile. 
Someone hits you with a bat for example, you can at least kind of get your hands up and its only going to be swung at a certain speed etc..

Like @CaesarSeizure said, there's a lot more room for escape where melee weapons are concerned.

• Like 1

In what world do you live in where a dude holding a knife, and it not directly near your neck, you just drop to your knees and submit?

To me this change is just a way for low level crims to have cheap and easy access to hold people up. 

Currently knives cause FearRP if you RP it properly and get someone in a vulnerable position. 

But NO running at me with a knife yelling "hands" would and should not cause FearRP.

If some guy is standing across from me with a knife out, no way. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight (pun intended).

But the rules could be changed yes, to include knives and melee weapons in general, if the situation allows for it. For example if you're in a car and the knife is behind you or the perp has you pinned in some way with no way to really escape.

But if you're just holding it at me a few meters away, I'm gonna turn and run and shoot your ass.

I think people are missing the point of my suggestion. YES, I do realize that it already falls under fear RP when someone RP’s taking a knife on you. However, what I’m saying is that this should be added as an example in the rulebook. Although it does say that it isn’t limited to the examples however it wouldn’t hurt if it was added as an example.

6 minutes ago, kenichis said:

I think people are missing the point of my suggestion. YES, I do realize that it already falls under fear RP when someone RP’s taking a knife on you. However, what I’m saying is that this should be added as an example in the rulebook. Although it does say that it isn’t limited to the examples however it wouldn’t hurt if it was added as an example.

It would hurt very much. If we add every example we can think of, the list goes from "not limited to examples" to "limited to this", which makes it less flexible. It will be up to the administration team member to decide if in a situation, the knife put the victim under Fear RP.

23 hours ago, kenichis said:

The biggest problem is with the example you provided, as there is a big difference in the likelihood that someone will defend themselves against a bladed weapon compared to a firearm. By adding your example to the rule it would be stating that any time a bladed weapon is pointed at you in close range you have to comply, which would not fit with a lot of player's characters IC behaviour.

Though you could already argue that it is already covered by the examples, as it states "weapon" for the current ones, thus that would mean melee weapons as well by how it's written.

SUGGESTION DENIED

Thank you for your patience while this suggestion was being reviewed/researched.

After reviewing/researching this suggestion, we have decided to deny it for the following reason(s): 

• The FearRP rule has changed since then and has been expanded to be fear for your life in general, not just firearms.

This decision is final. Unless instructed to, do not post another suggestion pertaining to this topic. You will still be able to submit other suggestions on the forums.

Regards,

Chunder