Emulsify

Rule Change

There is currently a rule in place where if a member of the community gets banned, it bans their IP address as well. Many reports are from members of the community who has never broken a rule but are simply banned due to using an IP address that someone has previously been banned on. I know that some of these people may not be telling the truth but it still effects some. The worst possible scenario that could occur because of this rule is multiple people being banned while using a cloud pc streaming service. They are becoming more and more popular and I, myself regularly use them to play on Eclipse. I am unsure what would happen or even how the IP addresses work within each computer but I certainly don’t like hoping each time I play not to get banned.

Below here is the rule as it stands, it states that everyone is accountable for their account, IP, social club and hardware. It also states that banned on IP or hardware can not be unlinked.
  • Account ownership is non-transferable and is property of the creator. 

• All players are responsible for their account, IP address, social club, and hardware. Linked accounts will face the same punishments and cannot be unlinked.

The rules below this text is what I suggest the rule to be changed to.

• Account ownership is non-transferable and is property of the creator. 

• All players are responsible for their account, IP address, social club, and hardware. Linked accounts will not face the same punishments unless verified to have been related and can be unlinked under certain circumstances.

The rules that I have suggested here make it so an investigation has to turn up valid evidence that and linked accounts via any one of the means stated is related to the account that was banned. If evidence shows that the accounts are not related it should just be a ban on the hardware. I am sure that someone won’t go through all the hassle to buy a new pc to play Eclipse. Another point is that if they break the rules they are sure not to have read the rule about IP addresses not being linked and if they try to create a new account with their pc they will get banned too and I don’t think they will try again when they get a new pc. I have also changed the statement where accounts can’t be unliked to where they can under certain circumstances. I am not sure if this is possible at this time but it is a recommendation to add it if it is not. 

TLDR: Change the rule where you are responsible for your IP so where there has to be valid proof that an account is linked before they ban an unknown amount of people for just using that IP.

Edited by Emulsify
  • Upvote 3

+1

Blocking an IP can be helpful and hurtful. In the end, if someone want's to get around an IP block, it's not hard but if someone doesn't know why they can't access something, the usually have no idea that they're IP is blocked because of someone else.

• Like 2