BellamyJames

Changing Your Identity Should Remove Aliases

I want to suggest that changing your name in game should remove your name from anyone that has "alias'ed" you. Changing your name/identity in game is not cheap but it doesn't give you any real fresh start so unless you simply want to change your name just for the hell of it there's not a real point. 

This may be a stretch but it feels like if you change your name, and looks via reconstructive surgery, players still knowing exactly who you use to be is in itself some form of MG. and I mean that in a very unintentional metagaming sense of the word. I don't blame anyone that uses Alias as a way to remember names, so it seems more like a server oversight that this doesn't reset.

Edited by BellamyJames
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I mean, I can't say it's a MASSIVE problem because in my experience I've only encountered it three times where they've let me know that they changed their name, I'm not that good at Alias'ing people so I don't run into it as much personally, but i'm toying with the idea of when i get to a certain level my character changes identity, and I realized that it's somewhat useless because he has no criminal background, it would be more or less to get a new start with the people that know him. 

I don't want it to come across like I'm running into people left and right that are correcting me about their name, I just feel like with how much it costs to go full blown changing identity there should be a better bang for your buck...

Also in an RP sense, say you want to go undercover where it's PD into an illegal faction or vice versa. If you change your name/look, can you really trust those people to not use that old information to be bias against you, it would only make sense to clear that alias out from them knowing anything at all. 

Edited by BellamyJames

Just now, iAchieve said:

+1. I think that while not a major concern, it is definitely something that needs to be addressed. 

Agreed, there's a lot of things that should take priority over this. But it seems like it could be an easy enough change based on the zero things I know about coding. So maybe someday when they do another "big update" it can be considered to be a small part of it. nothing major just a quality of life improvement. 

• Like 1

Just now, BellamyJames said:

Agreed, there's a lot of things that should take priority over this. But it seems like it could be an easy enough change based on the zero things I know about coding. So maybe someday when they do another "big update" it can be considered to be a small part of it. nothing major just a quality of life improvement. 

Yeah, that sounds good. Shouldn't be a major challenge for development.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hilbert said:

What if you are not changing it for Ck reason, like if you get married and want to change last name?

That IS a good point... perhaps we're looking at the wrong thing, maybe the removal of alias should be tied into plastic surgery, instead of a name change. If you want to start a "new life" as someone else you'd be getting plastic surgery anyways, right?. 

4 minutes ago, BellamyJames said:

That IS a good point... perhaps we're looking at the wrong thing, maybe the removal of alias should be tied into plastic surgery, instead of a name change. If you want to start a "new life" as someone else you'd be getting plastic surgery anyways, right?. 

Even then, some people might just be shifting their nose over a bit, or something that wouldn’t significantly change your appearance. Maybe if clear aliases was an option when changing your name/appearance this could work.

• Upvote 1

Just now, iAchieve said:

Even then, some people might just be shifting their nose over a bit, or something that wouldn’t significantly change your appearance. Maybe if clear aliases was an option when changing your name/appearance this could work.

Yeah, I think there's a solution that would make everyone happy, the option to clear aliases would be a good middle ground and I don't think it would step on the toes of selling additional character slots. 

• Like 1

Not really for or against it. Two points to make though:

1) Just changing your name wouldn't all of a sudden make people forget who you are. I have plenty of people called "A-hole sexist" or "beach robber" or "car rammer" or "creepo". Changing your name wouldn't make me forget who you are.....

2) This might encourage even more bad behavior and RP if people know they can act like maniacs, then get a name change and everyone forgets who they are or what they did. This is not realistic.

Again, not saying your points are invalid or these reasons is why you shouldn't make a change.

Just some things to think about.

Edited by Jasmine

On 5/28/2019 at 3:01 AM, BellamyJames said:

I want to suggest that changing your name in game should remove your name from anyone that has "alias'ed" you. Changing your name/identity in game is not cheap but it doesn't give you any real fresh start so unless you simply want to change your name just for the hell of it there's not a real point. 

This may be a stretch but it feels like if you change your name, and looks via reconstructive surgery, players still knowing exactly who you use to be is in itself some form of MG. and I mean that in a very unintentional metagaming sense of the word. I don't blame anyone that uses Alias as a way to remember names, so it seems more like a server oversight that this doesn't reset.

It depends if you are RPing CK or not

On 5/29/2019 at 4:19 AM, Jasmine said:

Not really for or against it. Two points to make though:

1) Just changing your name wouldn't all of a sudden make people forget who you are. I have plenty of people called "A-hole sexist" or "beach robber" or "car rammer" or "creepo". Changing your name wouldn't make me forget who you are.....

2) This might encourage even more bad behavior and RP if people know they can act like maniacs, then get a name change and everyone forgets who they are or what they did. This is not realistic.

Again, not saying your points are invalid or these reasons is why you shouldn't make a change.

Just some things to think about.

Good points here, overall though why not just flair someone's name with a different colour if they have changed it and you haven't updated the alias? If someone changes their name, set their name as pink. If someone has CK'ed, maybe if it would be possible to do /report for an admin to toggle the persons name as blue to all who have them aliased for a week or so. 

That way, if you see a pink name you can assume they have changed their legal name but are the same character (so just RPly talk to them and let them explain if they got married or something) and if it's blue you know to reintroduce yourselves to them.

This can obviously be explained and most likely thought of in a better way but is a starter point.

Edited by trashplayboi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.