neeko

LSC Needs higher pay OR make automatic repairs individual from bayview

The past month there has been a GIGANTIC issue with getting your car repaired.  LSC / bayview are connected when it comes to automatic repairs, and if you need a repair in the city its impossible without going all the way out of your way to bayview to repair.   This is an issue now because there is a HUGE issue at LSC with recruitment or activity.   

Please increase incentives to promote activity at LSC so we can get our cars repaired, or make it so if nobody is on duty at LSC then auto repairs at LSC are open.   This situation is getting pretty OD.  

inb4 "well bayview needs rp too and if we make it automatic in the city people will just go there"   ...well yeah, i think most people just log out and wait until the next day.   Without realizing the next day there also will be no mechanics available and they will be in the perpetual loop and end up having to go out of your way 15-20 mins.   Spread out the workers, and have some activity in both areas please....I know its two diff businesses icly but something has to give because its a real ooc issue for players.   

Edited by neeko
  • NAY 1

So, you don't actually want to have Mechanic RP if there's someone clocked on at Bayview, you'd rather just have the convenience of being able to auto repair at any given time.

I don't know man.... Sounds to me like you oughtta be the change you want to see and apply to LSC or Bayview.
I've been in the same situation where I've been angry that there was nobody to do Mech requests, but this is precisely the reason why the car pushing script was implemented.

IC issue with a very simple IC solution.

• Like 2
  • dead 2

1 minute ago, Homast said:

So, you don't actually want to have Mechanic RP if there's someone clocked on at Bayview, you'd rather just have the convenience of being able to auto repair at any given time.

I don't know man.... Sounds to me like you oughtta be the change you want to see and apply to LSC or Bayview.
I've been in the same situation where I've been angry that there was nobody to do Mech requests, but this is precisely the reason why the car pushing script was implemented.

I think you missed the point of the post...

There is CLEARLY some problem as of right now with mechanics with the fact there's rarely ever any LSC mechanics on-duty. Having to drive 5-10 minutes to go to Bayview to get a repair is absolutely ridiculous. 

As for mechanic RP, that is the most non-existent thing in the server. 90% of the time this is the RP I see at LSC. This is no hate to the people of LSC as I like them, it's just nobody cares for the "RP" of it. They just want to go get their car fixed.

"Can I get a repair"
"Yes mask off"
*Takes off mask & shows license*
*Various mechanic license check and invoice AHK*
/mechaccept
*signs invoice*
((TABBED OUT))

People simply just want to be able to utilize the auto shop of LSC, and as of right now it's practically impossible to. 

For the comment of "being the change", 1 person is not gonna make a difference in the fact that there's no mechanics at LSC which completely cuts off people from a CRUCIAL part of RP. A simple change to incentivize people to work for LSC instead of Bayview would be very good to balance out the Faction Member and Activity Count between the 2.

Unfortunately, the pay for LSC is just something that'd need to be brought up ICly via SAGOV. However, I can make note of the suggestion about differentiating LSC/Bayview mechanics for the auto repair system and see if it's something that devs would be interested in looking into - I cannot promise anything however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ranger said:

However, I can make note of the suggestion about differentiating LSC/Bayview mechanics for the auto repair system and see if it's something that devs would be interested in looking into - I cannot promise anything however.

In Mr. Mozzerella we trust.

58 minutes ago, Homast said:

Respectfully, I don't understand what I'm reading here.   Yeah let me just pause the RP I want to do so that the server can have a functioning LSC?  I'm confused.  You also are implying I should push my car from deep in the city all the way to bayview?  Sick man I can scriptly push my car to bayview by the time GTA6 comes out.   This honestly just seems like a toxic reply man, kind of unnecessary.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, neeko said:

Respectfully, I don't understand what I'm reading here.   Yeah let me just pause the RP I want to do so that the server can have a functioning LSC?  I'm confused.  You also are implying I should push my car from deep in the city all the way to bayview?  Sick man I can scriptly push my car to bayview by the time GTA6 comes out.   This honestly just seems like a toxic reply man, kind of unnecessary.   

Amen

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned it comes down to an IC issue at the end of the day - Why aren't there any mechanics at LSC? Could there be a way for there to be more activity and people actually wanting to work there? I'm not naming specific instances but I do see where you're coming from.

3 hours ago, Ranger said:

Unfortunately, the pay for LSC is just something that'd need to be brought up ICly via SAGOV. However, I can make note of the suggestion about differentiating LSC/Bayview mechanics for the auto repair system and see if it's something that devs would be interested in looking into - I cannot promise anything however.

If you were to make auto repairs at LSC a thing because nobody clocks on at LSC, and there are still some at Bayview, Bayview would become obsolete, unless you once again jack up the price and time it takes to make people want to go up north.

7 minutes ago, Hanro said:

If you were to make auto repairs at LSC a thing because nobody clocks on at LSC, and there are still some at Bayview, Bayview would become obsolete, unless you once again jack up the price and time it takes to make people want to go up north.

Only reason to go to Bayview is because it's cheaper. So you make the auto repairs link to LSC workers but cost a lot more and take longer so it seems pretty balanced to me.

Since this issue is rooted in activity, putting myself in the shoes of a mechanic on this server, I really don't know how they do it because from the outside it looks really boring. It's only really for me, the social element, that might help pass the time but a bit like Burger Shot, you are reliant on players coming to your shop for custom.

Mechanics are dependent on customers for their RP and Customers are dependent on mechanics for their mods and repairs, so I think you have to set it up so that you give mechanics all the opportunities for business you can AND you also give players an option when there's no mechanics on to get things done.

Personally, as a cop, I try to get mechanics involved when there is a broken down vehicle but it's hard to get an answer sometimes.

What does that look like?

• Automatic Repairs at Bayview / LSC if there is NO mechanics on duty at all.
    If you at LSC and a Bayview Mechanic is online, then there's still an opportunity there for RP to happen.
    If there's no mechanics on at all, why should you suffer as a player for that?

• Adding a Mechanic App to the Phone.
    Not only will this give you the option to get a mechanic out to you, it will also let you know how many mechanics are on duty at Bayview and how many are on at LSC.
    We use this for the DCC app and it's helpful to know.

• Add more extra random vehicle spawns, but with someone of the vehicles spawning broken, to supplement mechanics not having things to do.
    Random vehicles spawn broken and mechanics have to go to their location, kind of like the incident worker.
    When they get there, they have to hit [E] on Diagnose and the vehicle will have a certain problem that is stopping it from starting.
    This might be that the vehicle is out of gas or blown spark plugs or a flat tyre or it has a faulty alternator.
    Mechanics will then use /fl to get an item to fix the issue.
    This might be spare spark plugs, new alternator, spare tyre or a gas can.
    They will hit [E] on Fix and the vehicle will be repaired.
    The mechanic puts the vehicle on the flatbed and returns it to their shop for a pay-out.

If you attack it from both sides, then things improve. More things for a mechanic to do means more mechanics active. More mechanics active means more customers can be served. Yes mechanics would be going to places other than the mechanic shop but they have to come back to the shop anyway to get their money.

• Like 3
  • YAY 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bala said:

Adding a Mechanic App to the Phone.
Not only will this give you the option to get a mechanic out to you, it will also let you know how many mechanics are on duty at Bayview and how many are on at LSC.
We use this for the DCC app and it's helpful to know.

This would certainly be a good edition to the server if like the DCC app and had options 1.car needs repair 2. Car/boat needs towed 3. Car has been chopped/partially chopped 4.Car needs to be impounded . As for the cars spawning randomly needing repair, i think that would need to be balanced depending on things like # of mechanics clocked on and server population. This would also stop the very annoying mech request that say things like "test","any mechanics" ETC.

• Like 1

i also support the fact that mechanics been inactive but they have every right to be that way since after some time it gets boring as some one who played on mechanic before i can tell that it gets boring after a while, but if developers would be interested in making their job a little bit interesting or if its just waste of time there is already a lot of mechanic equipment for civilians and criminals all over the game it doesn't make sense to have that kind of options but wont even let mechanics use those stuff for rp. (im talking about the car lift, carjack, engine hoist and other things that already have the removing option and placing it back as  a option as well so its already designed to be used in other ways and not just for criminals as well)

Edited by pooria

The issues you've listed in your post are all unfortunately because of IC consequences. It's an ongoing IC discussion and without ruining the RP for everyone, LSC are doing their best on both IC and OOC levels to try and improve everyone's experience, but it's not as easy as " give people more money and it'll boom again".

Speaking as a part of Bayview's HC, we recently made an announcement within our command team about trying to push roleplay further, so your interaction with a mechanic is something more then, " hi can i get a repair", " yeah sure", * script stuff happens*, " here's your car, stay safe!" and I think just trialing it, its had some improvements but it's unfortunately a two way street, and we often find that people who come to us don't want to take part in greater RP, but just want their car repaired and that to be it.

I think it'd be a huge hit to RP if auto repair was to get split so that if there are no LSC employees then auto repair at LSC would be open. There is often some great characters for you to meet and who knows, whilst you're driving up to Bayview maybe you see someone else you know, or you decide to engage in an RP scenario up north, creating more opportunities for everyone else up north.

• Like 2

This is an IC issue. It's the same problem MD had when there was no one willing to work there and Weazel. The server just goes through lulls in certain jobs. Be adaptable, like people have to do IRL ❤️ Change is good! Put a song on your car stereo and take a drive up to Bayview! It added to my character RP who never gets out of the city, it reminded her why she liked the city CAUSE BAYVIEW PEOPLE BE CRAZY 😛 lol

On 4/10/2023 at 1:44 AM, Herbo said:

Having to drive 5-10 minutes to go to Bayview to get a repair is absolutely ridiculous. 

really? is it? 😛 

realisticly, you would take your car to a shop and leave it there for days/weeks wile your car is being repaired.

I know its a game and that it shouldnt be too realistic but driving up north for 10 mins is nothing.

On 4/10/2023 at 1:44 AM, Herbo said:

it's just nobody cares for the "RP" of it. They just want to go get their car fixed.

the fact that some people treat the mechanic rp this way is part of the reason that nobody wants to play it.

the problem with lsc is an ic problem and honestly my character is at lsc almost every day and almost every day there is a mechanic there to help him.

Maybe the whole repair script needs some revising, instead of all of it completely based on /me's and /do's (this makespeople use scripts) it could be some kinda minigame, think amongus.

Hello there. As someone that has played as a mechanic at LSC and have put a lot of hours into the roleplay there it's really difficult to pinpoint an exact reason why it is the way it is right now. There are definitely issues within the shop itself - the roleplay is rather stale as you're mostly just doing scripts. If you want to thrive as a mechanic you have to be a communicative person and figure out ways to make the roleplay aspect of it interesting for you. That's not something everyone CAN and WANTS to do.

As someone that has recently started doing mechanic work for the sole reason of there not being enough mechanics at LSC it's a rather thankless job, though. You're basically roleplaying working in retail with the way people treat you. You get harassed, insulted, screamed at. Especially right now with LSC being unterstaffed while the demand itself is as high as ever people become annoyed if they have to wait in the bay for more than five minutes. 

I do not think that "go work LSC if you want more mechanics to be there" is a solution for this. Telling people "you know what how about YOU do this super boring thing in your freetime after a day of irl work" is not how we should aprpoach the issue. I also disagree with it being solely IC as well since cars are such an essential part of GTA that tying your ability to use them to a single faction is rather rough. 

People love grinding money on the server. Making LSC (and bayview while we're at it) a higher paying job could be the way to go, to be honest. It is basically volunteer work. Which is why I believe it not to be just an IC thing. The change needs to happen through RP and also the change of OOC policies (Like the pay cap).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kellie said:

Hello there. As someone that has played as a mechanic at LSC and have put a lot of hours into the roleplay there it's really difficult to pinpoint an exact reason why it is the way it is right now. There are definitely issues within the shop itself - the roleplay is rather stale as you're mostly just doing scripts. If you want to thrive as a mechanic you have to be a communicative person and figure out ways to make the roleplay aspect of it interesting for you. That's not something everyone CAN and WANTS to do.

As someone that has recently started doing mechanic work for the sole reason of there not being enough mechanics at LSC it's a rather thankless job, though. You're basically roleplaying working in retail with the way people treat you. You get harassed, insulted, screamed at. Especially right now with LSC being unterstaffed while the demand itself is as high as ever people become annoyed if they have to wait in the bay for more than five minutes. 

I do not think that "go work LSC if you want more mechanics to be there" is a solution for this. Telling people "you know what how about YOU do this super boring thing in your freetime after a day of irl work" is not how we should aprpoach the issue. I also disagree with it being solely IC as well since cars are such an essential part of GTA that tying your ability to use them to a single faction is rather rough. 

People love grinding money on the server. Making LSC (and bayview while we're at it) a higher paying job could be the way to go, to be honest. It is basically volunteer work. Which is why I believe it not to be just an IC thing. The change needs to happen through RP and also the change of OOC policies (Like the pay cap).

I agree with what Kellie said 100%. As someone who been on/off mechanic rp and came back for the same reason, clocking on rn is almost like an personal hell for my character, as you almost cant leave unless you dissapoint someone. This latest week also made is so at least LSC workers simple see doing work as just stress, not enjoyable as it was in the past. Mechanics who been off duty been called constantly by friends needing help, even threatened and beaten up because of the lack on duty, so alot of the issues is IC tbf. Personally hope its just a wave atm where people prefer other jobs and the LSC spirit will come back. But yeah, from my personal perspective, the issue isnt pay. Its pure motivation. 

On 4/10/2023 at 12:44 AM, Herbo said:

As for mechanic RP, that is the most non-existent thing in the server. 90% of the time this is the RP I see at LSC. This is no hate to the people of LSC as I like them, it's just nobody cares for the "RP" of it. They just want to go get their car fixed.

"Can I get a repair"
"Yes mask off"
*Takes off mask & shows license*
*Various mechanic license check and invoice AHK*
/mechaccept
*signs invoice*
((TABBED OUT))

While there is an issue in terms of IC activity, this part about Mechanic RP cannot be more cap. LSC has been implementing things to try push for more RP constantly, a more realistic thing to say here would be that the people who come for repairs couldn't care less about RP as after the checks you outlined most ''customers'' Tab Out or ignore any /do a mechanic tries to encourage more interaction. 

We can discuss lack of mechanics on duty, but do not try to turn it on Mechanics for lack of RP when half the time the customers are the ones harassing mechanics telling them to hurry the f up fixing the car...

On 4/9/2023 at 5:24 PM, neeko said:

Please increase incentives to promote activity at LSC so we can get our cars repaired

As someone who owned a mechanic shop for a few months that the pay was practically like $1000 an hour MAYBE, I can tell you its about the environment and the kind of people you have working there and the community you build. I haven't gone to LSC in a few years outside of a few occasions ICly so I don't know anything about the RP, but if people aren't working I can tell you it more than likely isn't a monetary issue. 

I can say its based around how the a business is ran, its the same thing with plenty of other factions that have had low amounts of people RPing that specific job, money isn't the issue. From a few of the previous factions where we had people stop playing that role, its been because of the way things were being ran, or lack thereof. Hopefully LSC can get a grasp and fix it because it is a large issue for the server.

Offering money as an incentive may attract employees at first, but it may not keep them interested in the long run. Employees may be motivated by the chance to contribute to the growth of the server, build relationships with other players and staff, and engage in creative storytelling 🙂

• Like 1

I guess I will just add my two cents here since most of my time on the server now pretty much solely is just this. Mechanic RP is all what you are allowed to make of it. Over a year now(16 months), I have been doing mechanic RP as a Bayview mechanic. Also, worked simultaneously at MPT with another character and clearly it was not about making money there, as it was all about the RP and interactions. Some people don't find mechanic RP boring and choose to do that. The ones that do find it boring, without thinking everyday there needs to be a dj and a club party, are really in my own personal opinion those that often apply to those RP jobs because well they simply look at it as easy money or just an experience stepping stone gaining some RP experience to their next goal to RP in another department or can't do other jobs because of their past criminal records which has been changing lately due to the reform type opportunities at DOC, so of course it will not be that thrilling.

Ever tried to be a menacing mechanic and patch up an SD Cruisers' bullet holes with bubblegum? then you just haven't been living. Got that one customer who is a royal pain in your backside? "accidentally" drop a wrench in their motor and "oops! can't find it"  It is RP after all and why not find ways of making some entertainment while you are at it. Shout out to Liam Binnie who menacingly removed some parts, then RP’d looking up in a repair manual how to repair a vehicle, while I got out and RP’d performing repairs after he sent the invoice. Or the guy that said I would find a slice of pizza under the hood, to which I picked it up and took a bite. Some people also actually pay attention to the RP you are doing, and find fun ways to create that entertainment back and forth with you.

I think sitting at speed traps for a few hours straight is boring then get in that one 20 minute pursuit that everyone joins in JTAC then there are no officers because everyone is chasing that same person then repeat. I go on tons of ride a longs and sometimes it is pretty repetitive other times a few select people take their RP up many notches (adding more than pull over, remove the mask and lemme see that license, hands them a ticket, or chase the evader) to make it enjoyable. Not everyone wants to RP a gov paper pushing job either. 

Simply put, there are so many different people with varying ideas of how to make something entertaining and using a little creativity for it not to be the same old repetitive interaction regardless of the job without being forced to do so. I find that it also would help individuals express themselves and their character arcs, how they choose to RP their individuality in customer service and how they RP the jobs vs. feeling like they could just as soon be replaced with robots or automated services.

• Like 1

As someone who is involved with the day to day business of LSC coming up on 2 years. I can tell you the main issue right now is motive and the general attitude to getting a repair. 9/10 customers will come in and shout “repair” tab out tab back in to /mechaccept then sign invoice and tab back out. Repairing a vehicle for most people is seen as an inconvenience not an opportunity to RP. Mechanic shops need updating just like DOC has brought new stuff for the staff and inmates. Things like a chop shop and jacks put in to the shop which can only be used by the faction and they can jack up the vehicle remove body parts and replace them  etc.. in terms of retention it’s extremely hard right now as you come to work as a mechanic and your have to type out lines and lines of unique roleplay whilst sometimes  working on your own with a que outside the door. I have witnessed on numerous occasions people getting frustrated with the length of time it takes and mechanics are litterally getting verbally abused whilst doing it. Then this makes  most players who want to have a  legit and legal  character seek for employment at many other easier less stressful freelance or faction  jobs within the city. With the high volume of traffic constantly coming into LSC and your the only mechanic on duty,  I can tell you it’s not a joyful experience. The people who work there are great and love to roleplay just what people need to understand updates and love is needed to mechanic factions to improve it for all of the server .  Mechanic factions constantly flick between numbers not long ago we had 65 employees and other mechanic factions didn’t have half the numbers this swings in roundabouts and constantly goes down and comes back up, goes down etc for all the mechanic factions ... 

In terms of making the auto repair work if nobody is on duty at lsc makes perfect sense to me as if your vehicle is completely stalled broken you cannot push it to bayview. There is no reason why people who are also here to rp should be held up from what there doing as there is no mechanics around in the city this just sheds a negative light on both mechanics and roleplay situations as a whole around the city.  if someone is spending hours at bayview or lsc waiting for someone to clock on as there is one mechanic at lsc and nobody at bayview and vice versa.  However people’s whose vehicles are still running and driving should most definitely look for some roleplay within whatever faction has employees working. But I do completely get there is nothing worse than pushing your car from low end to LSC to see there is no mechanics to push it into the self repair for it to tell you there is 1 mechanic on duty and your have to call them. To which if there is 1 mechanic in the shop they can’t even leave anyway. 

Edited by BigJeff73

+1 I agree if no LSC are around, LSC auto repairs are open, and vise versa for Bayview auto repairs. In my opinion, It doesn't really make sense having Bay view mechs driving across the map into LSC juro, if thats the case why are their LSC and Bayview split juros in the first place? 

For people saying It can be solved with push script. I don't believe people would push their cars from the city to paleto for a repair if no one was responding. 

I don't see any hurt it would make implementing this idea. Just kills off waiting idling times, and adds more time to rp elsewhere.