skeletee

Character Descriptions - /Inspect ID & /SetAttributes Commands

Character Descriptions

This function allows characters to set descriptions for their characters and is used to describe the immediate physical appearance of a character. Definitions of commands can be read below.

/setattributes [Description]

This command is used to set the description of the character. This description should describe physical attributes. Set attributes should not describe features of a character that must be explored through interaction (e.g. voice, build for a specific type of sport, hidden tattoos).

/inspect [ID] OR /inspect myself

This command is used to inspect another character that is in proximity. It can also be used to inspect the description that has been set for a player’s own character.

Appropriate uses of the /setattributes command

These are all physical features that you would not have to explore further to find out about someone. Age (i.e. that can be guessed within a relative age range), details of clothing (that cannot be added on via. script), and healing injuries (that other players can examine and react to upon inspection / players can set after being taken to the hospital) are a non-exhaustive list of what this command can be used for.

John Doe would be relatively short with dark under-eyes. Attached to his uniform are a catalogue of ribbons, and a badge reading Deputy Doe. He smells strongly of cigarettes and aftershave.

Katie Jones would appear youthful, between the ages of 21-24. Her stance is quite relaxed, and she appears doe-eyed. Her clothes are baggy and appear very well-worn and un-ironed. Across her right eyebrow is a healing scar. Wrapped around her hand appears to be a dog’s leash.

Upon immediate inspection, John Doe would be wearing a cast for his left arm. Both eyes are bruised and swollen red. He presents a large classic-style tattoo across the middle of his chest, with the name “Bianca” spelt in cursive.

Inappropriate uses of the /setattributes command

The features below are "giving away" things that could be figured out in-character. Describing a character as fit/strong/lean is OK, but do not give away that they kick-box. Voices are also something that can't be found out simply upon looking at someone, or physical quirks such as dimples.

Katie Jones would appear quite strong and fit, like she practices kick-boxing regularly.

John Doe’s voice is hoarse – as if he had been singing karaoke all evening.

Katie Jones’ cheek would be dimpled when she smiles and laughs.

How it would work

1. /setattribute [Description] to set the description that shows up for your characters upon inspection.

2. Once an attribute is set, you would be able to /inspect [ID]. This description will show up via. the textbox.

Let me know your thoughts and what you think is good, or could be even better!

Edited by skeletee
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

On 9/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, Icarus said:

+1, would also be interesting to see if certain things could/should be force-added, like if you just cooked drugs, you would smell like cleaning supplies (is that what cooking drugs makes you smell like?) or if you just cut up an animal without gloves on, you would have blood on your hands. 

I like this idea, but I think the only downfall is that people would not be able to override script with RP. For example with blood on bare hands, if a player RPd cleaning their hands in the river, this attribute would still show up when the command is used. Depending on how you see it, this can either limit RP or add to it (possibly encouraging player-to-player interaction as players are likely to comment on inspected attributes).

Automatic attributes would have to either be very selective that can’t be removed easily with simple RP, or there would have to be a way for these automatic attributes to be removed, which I suppose would need staff intervention and support as you’d have to prove you performed the RP to have it removed. Besides that, I suppose it is up to the player’s discretion to add these attributes as RP happens in real-time.

Edited by skeletee