HobGoblin

Hide ID’s again

Not even, /alias should just be removed in general. Only thing you need is player ID visible when holding a button so you can ID a player in case a report needs to be made. 

/Alias serves no purpose, If you cant remember someone on your own accord, then thats on you.

Edited by ClankH
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HobGoblin said:

This used to be a feature but was removed. I don’t see a use of always seeing a players ID.

As sad as it is, rulebreaks.

I absolutely LOVED the system when we had to hold alt to see ID and alias but it was ruined when rulebreaks became very very hard to handle without ID's being visible. 

A compromise I'd love to see is aliases being hidden by default and you hold ALT to see the alias. ID's would always show. With maybe even the option to have aliases on by default or off that you can toggle to which you prefer.

I did a high-quality mock-up of how this could work
FV5DfoZ.png

Side note, what OP is describing can kind of be achieved with /hidehud true which hides everything except text box

• Like 2

There aren't enough unique features regarding characters in GTA to tell them apart without an OOC crutch. Other servers get around this by being voice-only so you can combine their clothes with their voice, but we're a mixed server.

I could go into character creation right now and make an identical clone of Solomon Cobb. I think that would be an issue without /alias.

• Like 3
  • YAY 1

Personally for me I don't like when Taxi driver or Mechanic asking for a ID so they can Alia you in they name list , its taking  a part of RP way , 

Also 100% a lot of people making a metagaming by seen your ID and taking some kind a action on you , 

also about IDs should be some kind a way to hid it from your inventory or leave it at your home place 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ash said:

A compromise I'd love to see is aliases being hidden by default and you hold ALT to see the alias. ID's would always show. With maybe even the option to have aliases on by default or off that you can toggle to which you prefer.

big +1 to this. 

Remembering someone in-game is no where near close to remembering someone IRL. We don't have enough unique characters to support this idea, everyone literally looks the same.

I agree with having a toggle command for those who want to be more immersed (/toggleid), would work the same way as /toggletabbed

+1

Honestly don't care about seeing other players IDs as I only play with 3 players on the server that I can 100% recognize amongst all players  @Eriksen @PhenomenalX @LeftSharkie. 🤪

As for the 'removal of /Alias', I gave my opinion and suggestion here https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/topic/113116-remove-the-alias-command-completely/#comment-409493

On 7/6/2022 at 12:34 AM, Vixxey said:

I can't really -/+ 1 this but I have an idea. 

The alias command should be repetitively dynamic and not just fade away after a period of time, here's an illustration

• Ivy_Eriksen meets James_Eriksen for the first time. After a conversation, she aliases him 'James Eriksen', and the command goes on cooldown for 3 hours.
  • The alias remains saved for the next 24 hours. 
  • If Ivy_Eriksen meets him again within the 24 hours after the 3 hours, she's able to alias him again, resetting the 24 hours to 72 hours, and can go up to a years based on how many times that person had been aliased.

Players will basically have to get used to aliasing others multiple times because this is how it should be. You can't just /Alias, remember forever. 

• An /AME to appear above the player who is aliasing another player 'Ivy_Eriksen takes a look at the stranger's face, recognizing his facial appearance and scans him/her from head to toe.'
  • After that, a message is sent to the chat or as a pop-up notification at the top of the screen saying that the alias will be saved for XX hours and that the command will go on cooldown for 3 hours to prevent spamming to reach the maximum alias duration possible. 

Other than that and during the /Alias cooldown, you should rely on manual recognition. 🙂

18 hours ago, Ash said:

As sad as it is, rulebreaks.

I absolutely LOVED the system when we had to hold alt to see ID and alias but it was ruined when rulebreaks became very very hard to handle without ID's being visible. 

I did a high-quality mock-up of how this could work
FV5DfoZ.png

Side note, what OP is describing can kind of be achieved with /hidehud true which hides everything except text box

nice id. +1 because of this.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:29 PM, ClankH said:

Not even, /alias should just be removed in general. Only thing you need is player ID visible when holding a button so you can ID a player in case a report needs to be made. 

/Alias serves no purpose, If you cant remember someone on your own accord, then thats on you.

As a person with a very busy real life job, running a very successful construction company, I can say that I barley remember all my workers names in real life. 

What makes y’all think that people will remember everyone’s names? It will be like living in a world where everyone has alzheimer’s and forgot everyone the day after talking.

I for one can say that If i had to remember EVERY SINGLE NAME AND FACE , i’d stop playing here. That, in my opinion, is some no-life shit.

If you have time to remember the video game pixelated face of a character and the name of that character, and you are able to remember all of them, then you really don’t have a life or any real life friends, because that is ridiculous.

You guys want to make this server so strict and so much harder with shit like this and you think it will improve it, BUT IT REALLY WONT!

WHY?

BECAUSE PEOPLE HERE DO NOT ROLEPLAY ENOUGH!

Have the admins make more roleplay scenarios and it will improve the server to an extreme, but this right here, it will throw the server back and the RP will slowly die, I can see it now.

The only reason I disagree with this is that RAGE characters are very hard to be recognized. We have so few options to customize our characters, especially the body ( none ) that it it's impossible know a person just by their character's appearance. And considering the third person view that everyone uses, it's even harder to spot details that might tell your friend apart form a group of 10 males. A workaround this would be lowering the proximity, only show the ID until you get closer to the person. I'm not sure if that's possible to script but it would be a good idea to only see the alias when you're closer to the person.

26 minutes ago, zooke1 said:

The only reason I disagree with this is that RAGE characters are very hard to be recognized. We have so few options to customize our characters, especially the body ( none ) that it it's impossible know a person just by their character's appearance. And considering the third person view that everyone uses, it's even harder to spot details that might tell your friend apart form a group of 10 males. A workaround this would be lowering the proximity, only show the ID until you get closer to the person. I'm not sure if that's possible to script but it would be a good idea to only see the alias when you're closer to the person.

You can hold U to see their alias if this was changed back to how it was.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:53 PM, LucasMadrazo said:

As a person with a very busy real life job, running a very successful construction company, I can say that I barley remember all my workers names in real life. 

What makes y’all think that people will remember everyone’s names? It will be like living in a world where everyone has alzheimer’s and forgot everyone the day after talking.

I for one can say that If i had to remember EVERY SINGLE NAME AND FACE , i’d stop playing here. That, in my opinion, is some no-life shit.

If you have time to remember the video game pixelated face of a character and the name of that character, and you are able to remember all of them, then you really don’t have a life or any real life friends, because that is ridiculous.

You guys want to make this server so strict and so much harder with shit like this and you think it will improve it, BUT IT REALLY WONT!

WHY?

BECAUSE PEOPLE HERE DO NOT ROLEPLAY ENOUGH!

Have the admins make more roleplay scenarios and it will improve the server to an extreme, but this right here, it will throw the server back and the RP will slowly die, I can see it now.

Bro, its not about remembering someone's "pixelated face". Its about remembering their voice, their mannerisms, the way they talk, the way they dress. There's more to someone than just their characters face. If you're not interacting with someone enough to be able to remember such simple ass details, then they're not worth remembering. Theres a difference between easy gameplay and hand-holding game mechanics. 

Edited by ClankH
typo

44 minutes ago, ClankH said:

Bro, its not about remembering someone's "pixelated face". Its about remembering their voice, their mannerisms, the way they talk, the way they dress. There's more to someone than just their characters face. If you're not interacting with someone enough to be able to remember such simple ass details, then they're not worth remembering. Theres a difference between easy gameplay and hand-holding game mechanics. 

My point still stands, it's honestly harder to remember someone's voice and mannerisms then it is to remember a face IRL. I don't know if you work or have to spend your days talking to people IRL, but I have meetings on meetings that I attend and I am expected to know each of them. Never have I had to recall someone by remembering their voices or mannerisms, that's just unrealistic. 

You guys are here preaching all these crazy ideas, but remember this is supposed to be Roleplay, meaning its supposed to stay on the baseline boarder of real life.

In real life, if you see someone's face for the first time and you meet and they tell you their name; next time you see them, the only way to recall them would be their face, you wouldn't see them again and be like "oh I know that voice" or "oh yeah those mannerisms are familiar" - it's just not realistic to remember someone by those attributes, when the first thing a person ACTUALLY notices and the brain REMEMBERS is;

1. The Smile - The brain registers a smile as either very nice or awful, if they are just average then your brain will not recall the smile of that person too amazingly.

2. The Face Structure - The brain also registers nice or bad face structures.

3. Hair - The hair is also another tell that the brain uses to register/re-call people.

In my opinion, if you have the time to remember the mannerisms and voices of people on an, ill say it again, ONLINE VIDEO GAME, then you really need to get a job or just go out and do something lmao.

characters are way too similar looking. even knowing what some people look like doesn't help, tomorrow I see someone looking 87% the same. it's a bad idea in this game at least.

EDIT: tbh I don't know how people can think this is remotely comparable to real life, saying that if you don't remember someone ingame they weren't important.

If someone I am familiar with puts on a mask and speaks in a muffled voice, I might still be able to identify them due to their stature, things like how they walk, body type, the shape of their head or identifiable phyisical traits outside of just their face, and their face is very distinct from the people around them, not slightly different like twins where I have to look for subtle differences. Stop comparing this to real life, it's not the same.

Edited by feedmeee
  • Like 1