KiaNNoX

*Using Discord instead of Team Speak*

Hello, hope you're doing well.

I have a suggestion, what would happen if we move all of the TS's channels such as JTAC and TAC channels to Discord?

I have some reasons for that:

1) Discord is newer and has more performance. (for example in OOC channels we can share our screen, share our videos and screenshots easier and also we can use several bots in discord that we can't do so in Team Speak and also we don't need Overwolf for overlay anymore)

2) Most of the player feel more comfortable with discord. 

3) For some players (like me) It's hard to use discord and team speak in a same time but we have to be in TS while we are a part of goverment's factions and playing in the server.

I would like to hear your opinion.

Edited by KiaNNoX
  • Upvote 1

There's a lot we could transition to Discord, or even Guilded.. however...

• Teamspeak can be self hosted and doesn't require pay for 'levels' of voip performance and features.
  • Teamspeak can be coded on the back end to monitor activity.
  • Teamspeak has a lot more permission control and configuration, per user.
  • Teamspeak has better program performance and controls.

Am I a little Biased? Yes, but no.. I've had years of trouble with Discord VOIP, and none with TS. They both have their place. Discord an amazing chat and community system, Teamspeak, tiered and configured quality voice solutions.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Kenny V said:

Isn't using outside apps for IC chat against the rules, or do you guys use them for OOC? just curious cause I thought that's what radios (ic) and /f chat (ooc) are for

LSPD/PD use them, whilst holding down a VoIP button in game, works as a more reliable source for them and they can structure their permissions and much more way better.

1 hour ago, JakeInnit_ said:

Why should PD be able to use TS and other factions can't then? Do you not think it puts them at a significant OOC advantage? 

Not at all. Government funded radio systems would be better. They would be secure. I see no OOC advantage at all, its just easy.

15 hours ago, JakeInnit_ said:

Why should PD be able to use TS and other factions can't then? Do you not think it puts them at a significant OOC advantage? 

1) They have to push an in game mic button and TS so they are always talking IC

2) A potential change to fix this is make certain 900 freqs the TAC Channels since all 900 freq iirc are private to only government factions. You could /bindradio and use those as TAC freq. I never understood why this isnt a thing.

18 hours ago, JakeInnit_ said:

There is no advantage to it if anything its acutaly a hinderance as your forced to push extra buttons.
This is a service that is monitored by server staff and approved by the founders and Head Admins but has policies and rules surrounding its use.

@PuzzlingAs was outline we tried the multiple in game radio frequencies but they were un reliable and caused a lot of issues when switching as frequently as was required in a situation as often times we have 3 situations going on at once. I personally have 5 radio binds already setup that I frequently bounce between thus I don't think more then that are supported.

@FrankiePAs was already outlined by previous posts, whilst TS is an older service it is reliable, effect and has a lot more privileges control as well as auditing logs, it also offers better support for when 40+ folks are required in one channel. Discord doesn't offer quick channel changes without Auto Hotkeys which is something the bulk of us refuse to use due to the potential to reduce roleplay opportunities ... The alt tabbing would and is a hinderance for channel changes. Currently TS is operating perfectly and as intended, it has a metric shit ton of permission regulations that are vastly utilized by all departments. As previously mentioned it is also supervised and frequently check in on by Server Staff, to ensure guidelines and regulations surrounding its use are being enforced and maintained.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FrankieP said:

+1 Teamspeak is overly confusing for no reason. No need to use such a tryhard platform when discord is just so much more user friendly.

As far as I know, you can't quickly switch Discord voice channels, you would have to alt-tab and press the channel. With Teamspeak, you can just easily have a keybind set. I remember when I had to use Teamspeak on my PD character and it is daunting at first, but you get used to it. I can definitely see why they prefer Teamspeak over Discord. It is definitely better to use for keybinds and such.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, FrankieP said:

+1 Teamspeak is overly confusing for no reason. No need to use such a tryhard platform when discord is just so much more user friendly.

Teamspeak was designed to be an exceptional 'voice' program, that you could have hosted, or host yourself without.

You can't really compare Teamspeak to many other programs. It is not 'trying' to be anything else. Teamspeak is 19 years old now and has a ton of capability we don't even use, even bot capability since it came out. These and it's further complex features are more for advanced users and administrators.

There is even integration capability to adopt Teamspeak internally in RageMP, and it alone could host all voice chat the server handles. You could even.. 'listen to multiple channels' in TS. (if configured correctly).

Discord is a fancy chat, and don't get me wrong, exceptional program, with VOIP...

In the end.. -1 until we can find a way to listen to multiple frequencies.. Even then, the ingame voip is still unpredictable and unreliable for everyone...

On 1/12/2021 at 3:26 PM, Jbacon said:

@Xypint
Phasing out TS was something we tried a couple times in the past but it failed to work reliably and also prevented smooth communications, This forced confusion and resulted in it be tossed out due to the fact it wasn't working as intended and or reliablily 

Yep. What I was alluding to was that it would be nice if devs make it so that people can be on 2+ freqs at once. This would eliminate the need for TS.

Another thing: Gov TS has OOC channels. It's the equivalent of crims being in a discord call together. Crims may not be necessarily metagaming in their call, but its sus. Just some food for thought.

1 hour ago, Xypint said:

Another thing: Gov TS has OOC channels. It's the equivalent of crims being in a discord call together. Crims may not be necessarily metagaming in their call, but its sus. Just some food for thought.

Just like every gang discord has at least one OOC voice channel? It's a non-issue, as long as metagaming does not happen.

This same thread has been posted so many times. Every single time, Head/Senior admins said that it is not something they are doing right now. 

Read below by @FatherOsborn

Hello, thank you for your suggestion.

At this point in time, it's not in our interest to remove the LSES teamspeak. The LSES teamspeak is moderated by all of the staff team (LSES member or not, they can request the ability to connect), and there's been several punishments handed for metagaming in the past.

As the previous poster pointed out, we cannot moderate discords we aren't a part of, and there's nothing stopping members from LSES factions to resort to sitting in group calls / private discords and freely speak there with no chance of repercussion unless it's reported to us by someone from the inside. The LSES teamspeak will always be something that we require LSES faction members to be in when they are on duty, because as mentioned, it's a moderated environment. There is a pending development request by PD/SD around radios to help them move their TAC channels In-Game, however, the community has been very outspoken about any focus going into legal faction development the past few months, but I am sure that once all current projects are completed, that NBDY/Osvaldon will work on the pending legal faction development requests. 

- Osborn.

Edited by awp8883

As stated in the above messages, TS is not something in interest of moving away from as it's been attempted several times and hasn't resulted in the best outcome. The Teamspeak itself is a heavily monitored area to ensure that no metagaming or further rulebreaks are happening within the Teamspeak itself

This is now Locked & Archived

Regards,
Ramo