daxu

Violence rules regarding obscene language

Just watching a stream and have also noticed this in game myself- when we come across players using hateful words (N word, F****t, etc) that should constitute reasonable RP to confront them and potentially start something, because IRL someone would get beat down using that language.

5 hours ago, kenichis said:

If you ever feel uncomfortable with people using such language ICly you are allowed to request for them to stop in /b and they should respect that.

this is silly. IC should remain IC, if someone has a problem with bad language ICly, they should handle it, ICly. if someone is offended by what someone is saying or has said as their character, maybe roleplay on an 18+ game isn't for them

Edited by MPheonix
  • Upvote 1

I don't know about you but I'd rather roleplay in a community where my white character isn't being called the N word 5 times in the span of 10 minutes.

If you want to RP as a racist towards other characters that make sense then go ahead, but calling a character thats clearly white the N word, or a female character with a male player a transgender has no place in RP especially excessively.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nikoh said:

Staff doesn't care about racism even though it highly discourages black players to play. I've seen complaints about it on here before and nothing gets done about hate speech/excessive racism. Says a lot if you ask me. 

I disagree. I would say that recently staff has made changes to discourage this type of toxic behaviour. As you can see below:

• NEW: Players may use offensive language in IC chat for roleplay but not excessively, and must stop if asked by another player OOCly. 

• CLARIFICATION: While we respect the fact that we're a roleplay server and we expect community members to create their fictional characters and RP around them, we also want our community to be welcoming for everyone. It's important that you understand that it should make RP sense for your character to behave in a way it does, whether that's being racist, homophobic etc - At some point, it becomes someone pushing their OOC ideology onto their IC character, thinking it's acceptable. 

This minor change does not pertain to the usage of offensive language OOCly. We will not tolerate e.g. racial slurs OOCly, whether it's to a friend or someone else, it does not have any place on our platform. This change only strengthens the ability for players to be more comfortable playing on our server, and feel more welcoming.

The announcement made by Ballin shows that they're trying to move in a better direction. I've seen reports made by staff members themselves who are treated by other people like that.

Also for your statement about it discouraging black players, I wouldn't say thats the case. I know a couple friends who are black OOCly and they make the best of their time on the server even when they're playing with people who constantly have to be racist. They also don't mind when someone who isn't black uses racial slurs for RP purpouses since thats what its meant to be used for at the end of the day.

Overall I'd say its an issue but its not like its being neglected. I've really only seen this type of toxic behavior from new players or people at bank and I just avoid them entirely.

5 minutes ago, kenichis said:

I disagree. I would say that recently staff has made changes to discourage this type of toxic behaviour. As you can see below:

• NEW: Players may use offensive language in IC chat for roleplay but not excessively, and must stop if asked by another player OOCly. 

• CLARIFICATION: While we respect the fact that we're a roleplay server and we expect community members to create their fictional characters and RP around them, we also want our community to be welcoming for everyone. It's important that you understand that it should make RP sense for your character to behave in a way it does, whether that's being racist, homophobic etc - At some point, it becomes someone pushing their OOC ideology onto their IC character, thinking it's acceptable. 

This minor change does not pertain to the usage of offensive language OOCly. We will not tolerate e.g. racial slurs OOCly, whether it's to a friend or someone else, it does not have any place on our platform. This change only strengthens the ability for players to be more comfortable playing on our server, and feel more welcoming.

The announcement made by Ballin shows that they're trying to move in a better direction. I've seen reports made by staff members themselves who are treated by other people like that.

Also for your statement about it discouraging black players, I wouldn't say thats the case. I know a couple friends who are black OOCly and they make the best of their time on the server even when they're playing with people who constantly have to be racist. They also don't mind when someone who isn't black uses racial slurs for RP purpouses since thats what its meant to be used for at the end of the day.

Overall I'd say its an issue but its not like its being neglected. I've really only seen this type of toxic behavior from new players or people at bank and I just avoid them entirely.

still doesn't solve the issue, sometimes i feel as if this is more of a COD lobby than an RP server, some of the things people say in this server you just have to wonder... Why is this shit allowed? Any larger streamer plays on this server will not stay because of this. Doesn't matter if it's Roleplay offensive language such as this should not be tolerated whats so ever...

10 minutes ago, kenichis said:

Doesn't change the fact you can RP a racist in 2020, its a step in the right direction but merely a baby step. Still shows that its not on their radar as much as I believe it should be. Obviously my opinion isn't the only one, but RPing a racist just really doesn't have a place in a roleplay server, as much as some may find it funny or edgy, it's just not it fam. Make it clear in the rules or you're neglecting the bigger issue, which like I said, says a lot.

• Upvote 2

A lot of people who just insult others are basically ruleplaying, they stay in NCZs where you cant really do anything against them and call DM if you do something about it. I understand that you would not kill a person for talking shit, but when your only option is to just walk away, it makes no RP sense. Someone harassing others is already breaking the law, so it feels hypocritical to just let one side do what he wants, while the other is left with no options.

On 7/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, nikoh said:

Doesn't change the fact you can RP a racist in 2020, its a step in the right direction but merely a baby step. Still shows that its not on their radar as much as I believe it should be. Obviously my opinion isn't the only one, but RPing a racist just really doesn't have a place in a roleplay server, as much as some may find it funny or edgy, it's just not it fam. Make it clear in the rules or you're neglecting the bigger issue, which like I said, says a lot.

do you think that if you're a character is black you should be allowed to say the N word? or do you think just RPing as a racist person shouldn't be allowed in general?

On 7/20/2020 at 4:44 AM, nikoh said:

Staff doesn't care about racism even though it highly discourages black players to play. I've seen complaints about it on here before and nothing gets done about hate speech/excessive racism. Says a lot if you ask me. 

that's absolutely not true, i've seen on more then one occasion players receiving temporary and permanent bans for mic spamming the n word, or making fun of someone because they were black IRL. the bigger problem on the server is sexism, not one of race, imo and that should be the first issue that should be tackled as far as progressing the server to be less hateful/toxic to certain groups. 

1 hour ago, GWXCORE said:

I mean, like someone already said, if you get your feelings hurt due to someone saying some words, just ask in /b for them to stop. I don't agree with the rule, but if people asked me to stop roleplaying a toxic sociopath in /b I would stop for the remainder of that interaction, then avoid any future interaction with them.

yeah but my point is in real life if someone was insulting me, calling me a bitch, a f****t, insulting my family, etc- its understandable that someone would fight them, or if you were a criminal gangster, pull out your gun and do x,y,z. for there to be a rule limiting our reaction to that stuff just because we're in a populated area is kind of fucking dumb. it doesn't matter if we're at a toll-booth, a pier, a poker place, or a bank. if my character gets insulted we should be allowed to RP a situation where we respond.

22 hours ago, GWXCORE said:

So if someone called you a faggot in real life at a bank, you'd violently assault them? Am I following correctly?

yeah i think that we should be able to make that decision ICly. maybe our character would and get arrested, who knows? ITS RP.

At the end of the day, as long as someone does not give cancer to other's ears by screaming, being excessively loud, disturbing, etc. They can say whatever they so choose ICLY. There's never been a time I resorted to OOC measures because of what people called me ICLY even if its triggering, just deal with it ICly. 

The question of this suggestion is... can extreme language justify violence? Yes, anything could if roleplayed.

Edited by Percival

On 7/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, Percival said:

At the end of the day, as long as someone does not give cancer to other's ears by screaming, being excessively loud, disturbing, etc. They can say whatever they so choose ICLY. There's never been a time I resorted to OOC measures because of what people called me ICLY even if its triggering, just deal with it ICly. 

The question of this suggestion is... can extreme language justify violence? Yes, anything could if roleplayed.

yeah my man that's the issue at hand- right now there's murky water because people will just fuckin' rule-play saying "OH we're in a populated so you can't punch me for calling you a f****t" while not addressing the irony of their actions being entirely unrealistic for a populated area due to the expected public retaliation.

2 minutes ago, daxu said:

yeah my man that's the issue at hand- right now there's murky water because people will just fuckin' rule-play saying "OH we're in a populated so you can't punch me for calling you a f****t" while not addressing the irony of their actions being entirely unrealistic for a populated area due to the expected public retaliation.

Technically would be classified as a hate crime to be blasting racist slurs ETC in public too so yeah.

• Like 1

Spent plenty of time around a variety of people, criminals and civilians, in all sorts of places, and constant racism is rare in my experience. You're more likely to be referred to by the N word casually by a black character than you are to be aggressively called it by a white one. I don't mind the current rule of asking someone to stop OOC because, even though it is an IC issue, it could drive players away. However, I don't think it needs to be any further out of character than that, and its already something you could easily build an RP scenario from, within reason

The rules have updated in regards to this.

7. IC and OOC Interactions

- Usage of ethnic and/or LGBT+ related slurs is considered disgusting roleplay and all parties involved must give prior OOC consent before it can be done.
- In addition, it must make roleplay sense for your character to want to use any racial slurs In Character.
Racism Out of Character is strictly forbidden and can result in a permanent ban.

Locked and Archived.