zakara711

Speed Cameras

Hope this is met with positivity over negativity.

i have lived a very crime free life within LS so far, my problem is the dam speed traps. I respect what they do and I respect its to protect the people of LS.

Problem  - 

In my opinion, speed cameras are a deterrent and not a money making device, impossible to see and for even the newer city goers would not be aware of there location.

Solution  -

Would it be possible to add signs / Visual camera etc? 

Possible GPS marker with there location?

Possible negative comments

yes I am aware that people would choose different routes (but that’s a good thing if the cameras are added to hot spot locations)

thanks for reading and hope to see some good feedback.

• Like 1

+ 1 a warning sign or gps icon would help for new players. I don't believe in seeing new players get a criminal record/thousands in debt because they aren't aware of the speed cameras. I know people say "they are in NCZs" but this seems like a bit of a cop out response, most new players will be pretty unaware to start with and it doesn't help positively introduce them to the server. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pearson said:

+ 1 a warning sign or gps icon would help for new players. I don't believe in seeing new players get a criminal record/thousands in debt because they aren't aware of the speed cameras. I know people say "they are in NCZs" but this seems like a bit of a cop out response, most new players will be pretty unaware to start with and it doesn't help positively introduce them to the server. 

Totally agree, when I first joined I was working to pay off fines for along time.

So what if a new player gets a speeding ticket? They learn about it, maybe not repeat it and are more careful. Quitting the server because they racked up 20 speeding tickets is entirely their fault and they can always make a new character if they feel like it. Everyone is informed about the speed limits IC and also the server rule states "no crimes should be committed in the NCZ", which includes speeding. There also is a way to avoid speeding tickets if you speed past a speed trap.

It's an OOC solution to an OOC problem, that punishes you IC.

Edited by Marca

+1

When I joined, I was aware of the speed limits. 70 in an empty city though is painfully slow, so of course I speed up a little when there is nothing but open road ahead, no intersections etc.

Maybe there should be some kind of AI traffic (not a huge amount that it causes lag on the server) - just enough to get in the way of people and essentially force them to slow down.

For server veterans it's a simple slam on the brakes before hitting the trap, and then speed right back up again. The speed cameras don't really do anything for more than 1 or 2 seconds.

Another idea: Maybe an item like a gps addon that shows the speed camera locations. Though I would like to see the camera objects more pronounced. Either way they are useless at stopping people speeding as people just slow down before the camera, and speed back up afterwards.

4 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

AI is not supported with RAGE.

It's still possible though, you can create pedestrians on the client, and sync them between clients.

Might even be easier if it's just vehicles, or specifically, trucks / buses. I understand they can't be interacted with, and might cause some confusion - but at least on the roads it would add what I feel is kinda missing from the city

-1 I think the cameras are fine. We dont have colored cameras where I live IRL, and they are there to punish speeding through commonly populated areas which they do a pretty good job of. 79 is the fastest you can go before the camera's give you trouble which is pretty fast... not racing speeds but...

As someone who racks up a ridiculous amount of speeding tickets each day (usually about 10 min) I get it. But there are cameras that are visible if you look for them. We take a driving test and are well aware of the speed limit. If we choose to speed ANYWHERE in the city we are subject to speeding tickets not JUST where there are cameras. If someone is going to get that upset over a speeding ticket then they need to learn how to use their cruise control and not speed in the city.

At the least I could understand making them a brighter color to stick out more. BUT lets be real - IRL cameras are not huge and bright colors.

13 hours ago, krooks365 said:

As someone who racks up a ridiculous amount of speeding tickets each day (usually about 10 min) I get it. But there are cameras that are visible if you look for them. We take a driving test and are well aware of the speed limit. If we choose to speed ANYWHERE in the city we are subject to speeding tickets not JUST where there are cameras. If someone is going to get that upset over a speeding ticket then they need to learn how to use their cruise control and not speed in the city.

At the least I could understand making them a brighter color to stick out more. BUT lets be real - IRL cameras are not huge and bright colors.

Hi thanks for your input.

i can only speak from my country the UK, they are bright yellow and are clearly visible and signed up. Speeding cameras are deterrents and are used as such.

I in no way get upset by them and welcome them with open arms as I can RP in the PD, but I would just like to see them being made more visible. 

Edited by zakara711
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zakara711 said:

I can only speak from my country the UK, they are bright yellow and are clearly visible and signed up. Speeding cameras are deterrents and are used as such.

That I think would be a good compromise to have them brightly colored. Yes I was speaking purely from an Los Angeles perspective where they be sneaky XP

• Like 1

I don’t believe some people are understanding my request. 

Receiving the same bold statement that people shouldn’t speed yada yada.........

i am agreeing with the speed cameras and what they stand for but I’m only requesting they become more visible. 

I know that we do a driving licence - I know the speed limits - I know you shouldn’t speed......

2 hours ago, zakara711 said:

I don’t believe some people are understanding my request. 

Receiving the same bold statement that people shouldn’t speed yada yada.........

i am agreeing with the speed cameras and what they stand for but I’m only requesting they become more visible. 

I know that we do a driving licence - I know the speed limits - I know you shouldn’t speed......

I believe the problem with this is that in the US, especially where I live, the cameras are hidden, they dont want to tell people when its okay to speed, they want them to always be worried...

I completely agree with the presense of speed cameras. The only thing I don't agree with is that you can get a warrant for speeding over a certain limit. Please leave that to the players and don't let something not controled by players add to your criminal record. If a player pulls you over for speeding context may be added, e.g: you were being chased by an assailant, you were rushing someone to MD, etc. With a static AI device like the cameras we have now, theres no way to add context into our actions and you will get arrested even if it was a one time thing. I work at DCC and I can't imagine getting fired for speeding past a camera while carrying someone injured.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.