Josh Graham

The impound lot...

Most people will know what is about to be said.

The impound lot is the biggest waste of time in the game. Most the time you will sit there for like 30 min with no police coming even though your spamming the button as much as possible, I am not sure if this is police cant be asked or if they just don't get notified, I've had many occasions where police are in the station, ill run to the impound lot and push the "button" but no one will come. I think the impound needs to be changed.

I recommend that people can release their own vehicles. I know this takes away some police jobs and some RP but I think most people would like it.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • dead 1

+1

There is no reason to keep this system the way it is.

Add the ability for players to release their cars if they have no fines on record/warrants

However, this would have to follow a log (maybe through the MDC) of who released what vehicle at what time, so PD/SD can keep track of this, as well as the ability to add holds to a vehicle (Investigation Purposes)

Edited by Cyrus Raven
  • Like 2

I feel like this is an IC issue that doesn't need to be addressed scriptly, but ICly through protocols within PD or SD.
The reason it requires officer interaction is RPly, I don't think we should be taking these RP ops away from players, instead, the assistance at the impound should be encouraged better by the PD and SD factions ICly.

I would be open to considering the option to allow automatic release from the impound if no PD or SD is on duty, much like the autorepairs at LSC and Bayview.
This will serve a very niche timeslot, though, since most of the time there is either PD or SD on duty.

• dead 1

55 minutes ago, EnkoY said:

I feel like this is an IC issue that doesn't need to be addressed scriptly, but ICly through protocols within PD or SD.
The reason it requires officer interaction is RPly, I don't think we should be taking these RP ops away from players, instead, the assistance at the impound should be encouraged better by the PD and SD factions ICly.

I would be open to considering the option to allow automatic release from the impound if no PD or SD is on duty, much like the autorepairs at LSC and Bayview.
This will serve a very niche timeslot, though, since most of the time there is either PD or SD on duty.

It is an IC issue, one that has been around for years. If player count increases then expect the wait times to become significantly worse. Yesterday we had multiple calls with shots fired. I know a few people waited close to an hour at impound, but IC'ly I can't just ignore those calls to go release cars, which is why delegating impound release to a script would probably be better. It's a tedious boring task most people don't want to go through and RP'ly speaking there are better things to be doing from both sides. (IMO)

Edited by Cyrus Raven

This is an IC issue that requires an OOC solution - i.e., script support around removing cars from the impound. I can tell you from both sides of the coin that cops tend to not enjoy unimpounding vehicles because it's repetitive and offers no stimulating roleplay 99% of the time - and that civillians don't enjoy it because they can wait genuine hours to take their vehicle out which is a pain in the ass - you're playing the game to have fun, not to sit around with a thumb up yer ass.

Script support would help both sides.

To add what i said earlier and as a response to Satly Python who i believe speaks for most police in saying it cant be much fun un-impounding cars for people.

I believe that a solid solution could be as follows:

You arrive at the impound and use the /release button, this notifies the police but also starts a timer somewhere on your screen

This time would be 10 min

This gives police 10 min to respond / arrive and impound a car for you, but if this does not happen you can do it your self after the timer runs out.

Simple solution that saves a lot of time and annoyed people.

I cannot agree with the original poster because to be honest with you, we struggle for person-to-person roleplay as it is in the server. As a cop that does regular attend the impound, I can tell you that yes it is the same thing over and over again but it's one of the few opportunities to interact politely with other players, especially criminals, in short because they need something from you.

Now as for the Impound itself, like many of the current systems on the server, it is functional but not especially convenient. That goes either for those impounding the vehicles or those getting them out. Even with the wait times, I still wouldn't fuck with the person to person release part. It generates RP between cops and civs as well as allows for extra documentation by PD for our RP purposes.

What I think would make the impound better however is;

• Introducing the Impound MLO that I bought for the server last July.
    It's located where the current Mors Insurance is and is closer to the centre of the city, walking distance to Parking and by proxy, closer to LSC / LSPD.

• Add in the Flatbed with the rope and ramp script, rather than the CTRL+X and /towposition system we have right now.
    Makes towing more convenient and pleasurable for sickos like me that do this stuff.
    20220519212406_1.jpg

• Add driveable health to totalled vehicles on respawn, for a reasonable addition to the release fee.
    We don't need more broken down cars clogging the Impound.
    Adding enough engine health to get the car moving again, not but enough to cuck the mechanics.

• Adding fine pay points for fines to the Impounds.
    Waiting for a while to be told you can't get your car out as you have tickets must actually suck.
    People don't interact at LSPD/LSSD when they come to pay their fines. They come in, pay and dip.

• Ringing the Bell a second time within say 15 minutes will send the impound message in a slightly different colour.
    This would indicate urgency and that someone has been waiting longer.
    Waiting 5 minutes for an unimpound isn't unreasonable, waiting 15+ however is kind of shitty.

• Allow Cops to see how much the impound release fee will be on /viewimpound.
    Pretty simple really but then least people are not in for any nasty surprises.

• Increase the Fixed Release Fee on the Issi Sport.
    Bruh, need I say more? Costs more to get out a BF, if I'm not mistaken brev.

• Add Timed Impounds
    Essentially, this would allow for vehicles to be impounded for x amount of hours for more serious offences.
    Someone persistently using the same vehicle for big crimes would in certain cases lead to vehicles being held for a minimum of x hours.

• Allow for Player Unimpounds if < 4 Law Enforcement are online
    This is specifically for the graveyard shift.
    Being able to get your own car out provided you don't have active charges or tickets if there are not enough cops online.

Fuck i'm good.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
  • POG 1
  • polarcop 1

7 hours ago, Bala said:

• Add Timed Impounds
    Essentially, this would allow for vehicles to be impounded for x amount of hours for more serious offences.
    Someone persistently using the same vehicle for big crimes would in certain cases lead to vehicles being held for a minimum of x hours.

I can agree with everything mentioned apart from this.

Get put in prison for hours, have my license suspended for a day and my car impounded for a set amount of time depending on my record? No thanks.

Not everything needs to be realistic, the prison and suspension times are enough.

Edited by Spizor
  • Like 2

If my license wasn't suspended but my car was impounded. If I spent a few hours in prison and that's not including the current average wait time at the impound lot, you don't think that's enough of a punishment for criminals? Do you really think it adds anything positive by adding in more time for them to wait?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Spizor said:

If my license wasn't suspended but my car was impounded. If I spent a few hours in prison and that's not including the current average wait time at the impound lot, you don't think that's enough of a punishment for criminals? Do you really think it adds anything positive by adding in more time for them to wait?

I think the ability to hold a vehicle in impound should exist. However, the usage of this script function should follow very strict IC regulations for situations regarding investigative RP with Detectives or authorization from Command. In essence, make it possible to hold vehicles, but not common unless there is an exigent situation that justifies it.

2 hours ago, Spizor said:

Yeah, because like when you rented your super-car to a criminal who continually got into trouble with it over the space of a few days, it got a bit silly impounding and then releasing it over and over.

I'm not talking about timed impounds for EVERY car but at the same time if John Smith is using his Issi Sport to felony evade every 24 hours once their license suspension ends, it would make sense to hold it a little longer no?

• YAY 1
  • yooo 1

3 minutes ago, Bala said:

I'm not talking about timed impounds for EVERY car but at the same time if John Smith is using his Issi Sport to felony evade every 24 hours once their license suspension ends, it would make sense to hold it a little longer no?

I think it's less about making sense and more about achieving a balance. The down time someone gets from having their license suspended and vehicle impounded is likely enough ''punishment'' for the player. Extended holds for very specific reasons (court cases, investigations) might make sense, especially if it enables good RP from both sides. However, in my opinion, repeated use of a specific vehicle shouldn't be met with a further impound.

If anything, someone (through good investigation by DB) found to be renting out or otherwise lending vehicles to known criminals in a repeated manor should get an accompanying charge/citation in association with the crimes committed using the vehicle, avoiding the usual ''Well I just rented it out'' excuse some super car owners give.

Kinda like the demerit/license suspension limitation, it would make sense to have various criminal players banned from ever driving or week/month long license suspensions given the criminal acts involving vehicles they do on a daily basis, but imo it wouldn't really achieve a fair/fun environment.

3 minutes ago, Bala said:

Yeah, because like when you rented your super-car to a criminal who continually got into trouble with it over the space of a few days, it got a bit silly impounding and then releasing it over and over.

I don't know how me renting my car is any relevant to this topic, but sure. You still impounded it for 2 weeks though, no? So what's the need for a script? At least I got roleplay from it due to the frequent interactions between myself and other LEOs & Commissioners. What is anyone going to gain when it's scripted in? The 1 minute interaction between them and another police officer letting them know that their car is impounded for a few days?

Sure, it would make sense. But is it needed to be in the game? Please tell me what positive it brings to the community in general because I haven't been given one yet. Are the punishments given to criminals already not enough? You haven't answered my question.

You need to have balance between LEO and Criminals and what I can see this feature giving to the players is nothing. LEO and Criminals need each other to be able to do anything on the server and this feature benefits neither.

14 hours ago, Bala said:
  • Add driveable health to totalled vehicles on respawn, for a reasonable addition to the release fee.
    We don't need more broken down cars clogging the Impound.
    Adding enough engine health to get the car moving again, not but enough to cuck the mechanics.

• Adding fine pay points for fines to the Impounds.
    Waiting for a while to be told you can't get your car out as you have tickets must actually suck.
    People don't interact at LSPD/LSSD when they come to pay their fines. They come in, pay and dip.

• Ringing the Bell a second time within say 15 minutes will send the impound message in a slightly different colour.
    This would indicate urgency and that someone has been waiting longer.
    Waiting 5 minutes for an unimpound isn't unreasonable, waiting 15+ however is kind of shitty.

I think everything you have said here would be great additions to the server and should be strongly considered, especially being able to take cars out on your own on a "grave yard shift" when very little police are on, because those are the times ive been at the impound for like 50 min with no one showing up so I leave.

Would be great if someone in development could take Bala's suggestion into account as i am sure everyone would benefit from it.

23 hours ago, Spizor said:

I can agree with everything mentioned apart from this.

Get put in prison for hours, have my license suspended for a day and my car impounded for a set amount of time depending on my record? No thanks.

Not everything needs to be realistic, the prison and suspension times are enough.

Totally agree with this. I believe people are trying to make things way too real, which would result in less fun and ultimately decrease the number of players online. Say your car has been impounded for 10 hours, you get out of prison after 2 hours but you still have your driver's license. If that's the only car that they own, most people would just go offline and wait for the timer to expire. I don't think that's a good way to sort these things out, obviously, cars like the Issi Sport are an issue since everything related to them is extremely cheap and the car is an absolute monster ( Especially having a trunk where the body clips through the sides and floor, even though Osva said that the only cars that would receive trunks would be the ones that wouldn't cause the body to clip through ) So apart from the increased impound timer, I agree with Bala and would be nice to get an updated impound system.

22 hours ago, Bala said:

Sounds like an IC issue tbh.

+1

Taking a vehicle out of the impound lot should not require an LEO player to manually complete it. It is indeed a big waste of time and does not really provide any productive roleplay. Additionally, there are RPly staff at an impound lot to take your documents and fees, etc ; it is not a cop's job. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thommy said:

+1

Taking a vehicle out of the impound lot should not require an LEO player to manually complete it. It is indeed a big waste of time and does not really provide any productive roleplay. Additionally, there are RPly staff at an impound lot to take your documents and fees, etc ; it is not a cop's job. 

Yeh i agree with all of this

I agree with Bala that this is a source of RP & player interaction, so it should not simply just be automated. Additionally, PD uses vehicle impound/release information ICly for logs, documentation and investigations, so it is important that LEO's dont lose that and take away from RP opps in that regards.