Josh Graham

The impound lot...

On 7/11/2022 at 4:50 PM, Bill Breacher said:

I agree with Bala that this is a source of RP & player interaction, so it should not simply just be automated. Additionally, PD uses vehicle impound/release information ICly for logs, documentation and investigations, so it is important that LEO's dont lose that and take away from RP opps in that regards. 

I agree that it is important to the LSPD, and I've been on characters that used impound information extensively, however, it's importance to the LSPD can not come at the cost of negatively impacting everyone else in the server. There are more than enough officers to release vehicles in a timely manner, but it feels that the impound lot is very low on the list of things for officers to respond to; in short, you can not have your cake and eat it too, if it is very important, then it's staffing needs to be treated with priority.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All things considered, I think waiting up to ten minutes is reasonable. To be honest, when I've been in game, the impound lot buzzer is almost always responded to when there's a free unit. That might change in different timezones and stuff but let's not make out like PD ignores the impound or anything like that.

That said, if it was over 10 minutes, it does start to take the piss.

Hopefully if we choose to go with the more centralised impound location, it'll make it more convenient but I'll be honest, I don't see automating the process as the move. It's one of the only mostly positive interactions I have with crims in the server and it's a good chance to get to know people without them sticking a camera in your face or calling you a NONCE.

17 minutes ago, Bala said:

All things considered, I think waiting up to ten minutes is reasonable. To be honest, when I've been in game, the impound lot buzzer is almost always responded to when there's a free unit. That might change in different timezones and stuff but let's not make out like PD ignores the impound or anything like that.

Hopefully if we choose to go with the more centralised impound location, it'll make it more convenient but I'll be honest, I don't see automating the process as the move. It's one of the only mostly positive interactions I have with crims in the server and it's a good chance to get to know people without them sticking a camera in your face or calling you a NONCE.

I think these interactions can be had in plenty of other places like burger shot, while the interaction might be good, the majority just head to impound, spam /release (even calling 911 sometimes) and wait for someone to come release their car.

And this is when there is someone taking impound calls, must be x100 worse being a player on early EU with 70-100 players and barely any on-duty police.

I don't think most officers like doing impound duties and I don't think most players like waiting for their cars to be released.

9 hours ago, Bala said:

Dunno how u got that from but all impound buzzers get ignored. Why do you think people end up calling 911 or send a friend to mission row and ask for an officer? Its because no one responds when all you do is /release and sit there waiting.

• Like 1

Lately with my GMT+9 timezone it's been frustrating waiting sometimes an hour when I work 7 days a week and get 3-5 hours a day to play video games.

I bet this issue is low on the Dev's priorities considering there's an argument for RP's sake.

Maybe a compromise; if there are 5-10 + cops on duty it isn't automated ; if there's not 5-10 cops online it's automated

• Like 1

Okay guys, I've made research on whether Impound lots are busy places or not and here's the answer I got from most websites and experiences...

Be prepared to wait in line. Impound lots are typically busy places with long lines full of frustrated people. It can take hours before it is your turn at the window so be sure you have all the information and payment you need before you get there.

• Tip: Bring your car keys to the impound lot. It can be easy to forget them in the confusion and frustration.

Therefore! It's only logical that you wait at Impound for hours, you should be thankful if you even wait 30 minutes.

Realistically, they are busy as hell and people wait in lines there. As far the the 'robbery' rules goes, you can't rob people in places which are supposedly public/crowded because people walk there, Impound Lots are public and lines should be expected there. Waiting is not an issue!

Let's shift away from the the player-to-player roleplay and think of how an Impound lot would realistically be crowded. You're not waiting there for a long ass time because no cops are available to assist you, it's because cops are providing good rp and you're expected to understand there's a big line in front of you!

Automation will only ruin rp experience! 

Think about it, is it realistic to get your vehicle out in a matter of seconds compared to how long it would take to get it out in real life? No. Like DOC jail time, times are supposed to be as close to realistic as possible. 🙂

Edited by Vixxey
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Oli said:

Dunno how u got that from but all impound buzzers get ignored. Why do you think people end up calling 911 or send a friend to mission row and ask for an officer? Its because no one responds when all you do is /release and sit there waiting.

That's cap

• polarcop 1

The buzzer is always seen but it is ignored in certain situations. When a TAC or JTAC situation arises, it's not uncommon to see the impound get ignored for a sustained amount of time. Granted my experience was primarily at the Paleto impound, although I would assist at Davis if operating in open juro. 

Part of the problem disrupting the flow of impounds is the way LSSD handles field training. After graduating Academy, Trainees are limited in what they can do until they pass an evaluation, so although they are on desk duty, literally a walk away from the impound, they actually can't come help you. And even if they radio for you, if it's a TAC/JTAC scene, they'll be ignored. 

I would agree with Bala that impound releases can lead to positive RP with those I would not normally see. However it also led to a lot of negativity, because people get promised a secure impound only to find out they got actual impounded and lose thousands. I've personally seen non-criminal impounds/tows end up costing a law abiding citizen a hefty fine. So it happens and when you're trying to help mitigate a mistake and release a car you didn't even impound, it looks bad on you. 

My personal opinion is that all secure impounds should be automated as there's no inherent criminality in a secure impound, and would not necessarily require on scene police. Impounds should be automated after a certain time threshold has expired, to address the issues of police presence at impound. 

• Upvote 1

Sometimes there just aren't the officers online to get people's car's out. Which honestly sucks for people in weird time zones.

I feel like a system should be added in where IF there aren't any officers online or the officers online are not allowed to do that duty - Then there should be an NPC to something where you can un-impound it yourself, but when there is an officer that can work impound online and active; then it wont let you un-impound on your own.

I think that's pretty simple.