Thang

Helicopter Camera & Spotlight

TL;DR: Implement a helicopter camera with a spotlight and nigh vision feature. Source code attached bellow

So I understand that this has probably been already suggested before. But I had some spare time on my hands and found some proof of concept helicopter camera script online, took it and changed some aspects of it.

So what my code currently supports is:

• zoomable helicopter camera
  • night vision
  • spotlight
  • ability to lock onto a vehicle, including a detection of speed, model and plate of a car. 

There are some issues with breaking the lock of the camera when the view of the vehicle is obstructed. Also the logic about enabling the camera should probably be adjusted somehow to the needs of the server as it currently doesn't check if player is actually in a helicopter or not.

Also the camera and helicopter cannot be operated together at once, so it's more designed to be operated by a co-pilot, which would actually add incentive for the law enforcement helicopters to have a co-pilot

Video examples: https://streamable.com/4ysjyd 
https://streamable.com/ldcauk 
https://streamable.com/6kqt34

Source code: https://gist.github.com/ThangCZ/52ebf7cbea9f18549ac6854688295386

Edited by Thang
  • Like 8
  • NAY 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, apologisemeow said:

Having a helicopter at your deposal already gives law enforcement the upper hand when pursuing a individual, adding something like lock-on is overkill people might as well not even evade if that's the case. 

29 minutes ago, Freclan said:

+1, I don't think the camera should lock onto the car though

Just to clarify the lock-on as implemented there right now is super fragile (I think way too fragile, so I had it disabled for testing). Once the vision of the vehicle is even lightly obstructed for more than a second the lock on gets disabled and need to be reacquired. To enable the lock on you need to relatively close to the vehicle and has it visible in your line of sight.

+1 for this update, especially since the visibility is extremely difficult due to the altitude and spawn distance. 

However if the lockon could be a bit of an advantage unless it is gone as soon as line of sight is broken, which would be much more realistic. 

So +1 for everything and a clarification on the lock on.

5 hours ago, Destuin said:

Think this poses a clear balancing issue, the chopper is already a strong tool this is unnecessary. 

Is it really though when there is only a select few people can fly it and you already need 2 people to do most of these things?

more people in the air means less on the ground so I don’t see the problem really.

• Like 1

As it is realistic, it is also a game, and games require balancing.

Just as a rough idea, I believe the lock on should have a soft lock, so that it is not overpowered in terms of a constant lock where it would be hard locked on, not allowing a vehicle to get away unless it goes under a bridge where visual is lost, but maybe only allow a hard/soft lock for a specific duration in a cooldown style.

Other than that, massive +1

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

As it is realistic, it is also a game, and games require balancing.

Exactly, I think the spot light itself is a great addition. Rest of the features are to OP.

In reality the piloting of a police chopper is a 2 man job and should only be allowed to be used by the passenger as it would be irl rather than an auto lock feature. 

• Like 1