Marchesi

Adding Foreign Languages Subforum

Yes, the title is self-speaking. Why don't we add a sub-forum for Foreign Languages and allow people sharing one common language talk, chat and discuss stuff over there? I believe it would bond the community members more and create an alternative way to talk about stuff. I don't see any why not for this, simply create a subforum as "Foreign Languages" and make some threads for different languages under it - let them chat in the threads. 

Please shoot your opinions regarding the topic and discuss! : ]

The problem is creating such a sub-forum can create an issue for moderators to track down possible metagaming and other rule breaches, the only languages I can imagine being used on a sub-forum are Lithuanian and perhaps Spanish. As these are the 2 most common languages other than English on the server.

I'm not sure if we have any members of staff who are familiar with Spanish, yet even the ones who speak Lithuanian will have a tough time monitoring such a sub-forum on their own. 

I'll give this suggestion a -1 for now, and perhaps in the future when our community will grow a bit more. I can see this happening, but not for now.

16 minutes ago, HaminLord said:

The problem is creating such a sub-forum can create an issue for moderators to track down possible metagaming and other rule breaches, the only languages I can imagine being used on a sub-forum are Lithuanian and perhaps Spanish. As these are the 2 most common languages other than English on the server.

I'm not sure if we have any members of staff who are familiar with Spanish, yet even the ones who speak Lithuanian will have a tough time monitoring such a sub-forum on their own. 

I'll give this suggestion a -1 for now, and perhaps in the future when our community will grow a bit more. I can see this happening, but not for now.

I believe the community's already grown big enough for this to happen. As for the moderation, trusted players (in case there's no staff member available for the language) speaking the said language could be assigned as moderators for the specific thread and they could be held responsible for anything going on in there; if no trusted player / staff member for the specific language is found eligible enough to moderate a single thread of the language - simply do not add the mentioned language.

i.e.

There are few Staff Members speaking Dutch, the thread could be made for the Dutch Language since they could moderate it.

There is no Staff Member speaking let's say.. Hungarian but there are several respected and trusted members speaking the language (let's say some faction leaders), they could be assigned as moderators for the thread Hungarian and held responsible for it.

and let's say people want Spanish to be added, yet no appropriate moderator is found to moderate the said thread of the language, simply do not add it until someone trusted / a staff member shows up in the future.

I don't really think moderating those threads would consume much time since it'd be their native language and it barely would take 5 to 10 minutes daily to go over the comments on the threads. This would be really cool in my opinion, nevertheless.

Edited by Marchesi

I don't see any benefit to this, the only thing it does is isolate members of the community that doesn't speak that language. We only allow one language to be used in game for a very good reason, this would do the opposite of what you suggest all it will do is divide the playerbase like an american prison. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Randyrandul said:

I don't see any benefit to this, the only thing it does is isolate members of the community that doesn't speak that language. We only allow one language to be used in game for a very good reason, this would do the opposite of what you suggest all it will do is divide the playerbase like an american prison. 

I find this pretty useful man, let's think about it for a second...

It could help new players...people who are struggling with English could at least get something in their own language, so they can actually improve or fix things (like applications for example). A moderator in each language would be required, tho.

33 minutes ago, Bistek said:

It could help new players...people who are struggling with English could at least get something in their own language, so they can actually improve or fix things (like applications for example). A moderator in each language would be required, tho.

If you are struggling with English, then how do you hope of playing in game where the only language is English? 

• Upvote 2

I had a really hard time understanding English when I first joined a RP server and guess what? They had a foreign subforum. It had only some randon chat, helpful tips and some minor things...someone over there, which was a Moderator, helped me a lot. Grammar basics, game mechanics, surroundings, even server rules.

A year later, I bacame one of the first Head Admins of SARP, a pretty successful server in SAMP's history.

2 hours ago, Randyrandul said:

If you are struggling with English, then how do you hope of playing in game where the only language is English? 

By saying that you're just preventing people to actually LEARN. I would say this definitely needs an attention

Edited by Bistek

I wouldn't say that the language barrier is a problem as a mod mentioned above, since there are other people that can translate certain things and also there's google. I'm not sure what sort of topics the subforums would have, but I'm neutral on this. I would like that the majority of the forum remains in English, while rules, tips and things like that could be translated to other languages. 

3 hours ago, Bistek said:

I had a really hard time understanding English when I first joined a RP server and guess what? They had a foreign subforum. It had only some randon chat, helpful tips and some minor things...someone over there, which was a Moderator, helped me a lot. Grammar basics, game mechanics, surroundings, even server rules.

A year later, I bacame one of the first Head Admins of SARP, a pretty successful server in SAMP's history.

By saying that you're just preventing people to actually LEARN. I would say this definitely needs an attention

Id probably learn a language before trying to roleplay in it.

Roleplay has a big learning curve itself, takes enough time to progress your character/story without learning another language at the same time. A subforum would end up just becoming an English classroom.

On 4/30/2019 at 6:46 PM, KurtLaser said:

Id probably learn a language before trying to roleplay in it.

Roleplay has a big learning curve itself, takes enough time to progress your character/story without learning another language at the same time. A subforum would end up just becoming an English classroom.

My roleplay experience started around 2011 on a SAMP RP server (I still play on it), when I first joined the server I was a total noob and I really did not speak English - I kept looking for someone speaking Turkish so they could show me around and teach the basics. I was just a kid back then and I really was ambitious enough to keep trying to play on the server and learn English because I really liked it. I went ahead and started to write down some basic /me and /dos along with their meanings in my native language, read roleplay guides / rules in Turkish and kept trying to learn; until I came across another Turkish lad on the server who really helped me a lot to keep going on the server, learn the basics and have a rough idea of the server's boundaries. The more struggle I had in the server whilst playing, the more ambitious I got to keep playing and learn the language / how to RP better and now here I am as someone with 8 years of roleplay experience who held numerous precious positions on roleplay servers such as administrator, faction leader; currently holding a really high rank in PD on the same server, drawing myself a good image on Eclipse and studying English Language in the collage. All these were possible because I was really eager to learn the language / keep playing on the server and that I came across the guy who helped me in Turkish to get used to the server and keep trying.

Please give those new players a chance to keep going on the server and learn throughout time, that's the way to watch them turning into decent roleplayers on Eclipse. I mean, which one of us stepped onto GTA Multiplayer platforms as dope roleplayers? We all once were rookies - we all had our chances given and we got to become what we are now.

I believe adding this subforum is going to be really useful for aforementioned reasons and to create a friendly atmosphere as long as they are moderated properly by volunteers, if no suitable moderator is found - simply do not create a thread for the said language under the subforum. I think Eclipse's grown big enough to have this.

Edited by Marchesi
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Marchesi said:

My roleplay experience started around 2011 on a SAMP RP server (I still play on it), when I first joined the server I was a total noob and I really did not speak English - I kept looking for someone speaking Turkish so they could show me around and teach the basics. I was just a kid back then and I really was ambitious enough to keep trying to play on the server and learn English because I really liked it. I went ahead and started to write down some basic /me and /dos along with their meanings in my native language, read roleplay guides / rules in Turkish and kept trying to learn; until I came across another Turkish lad on the server who really helped me a lot to keep going on the server, learn the basics and have a rough idea of the server's boundaries. The more struggle I had in the server whilst playing, the more ambitious I got to keep playing and learn the language / how to RP better and now here I am as someone with 8 years of roleplay experience who held numerous precious positions on roleplay servers such as administrator, faction leader; currently holding a really high rank in PD on the same server, drawing myself a good image on Eclipse and studying English Language in the collage. All these were possible because I was really eager to learn the language / keep playing on the server and that I came across the guy who helped me in Turkish to get used to the server and keep trying.

Please give those new players a chance to keep going on the server and learn throughout time, that's the way to watch them turning into decent roleplayers on Eclipse. I mean, which one of us stepped onto GTA Multiplayer platforms as dope roleplayers? We all once were rookies - we all had our chances given and we got to become what we are now.

I believe adding this subforum is going to be really useful for aforementioned reasons and to create a friendly atmosphere as long as they are moderated properly by volunteers, if no suitable moderator is found - simply do not create a thread for the said language under the subforum. I think Eclipse's grown big enough to have this.

Im not saying everyone is instantly a "Dope roleplayer". But in my opinion good roleplay comes from a grasp of language, building stories and detail through communication. Having to learn a brand new language while trying to roleplay in it is counter intuitive. Being a rookie roleplayer is separate from not knowing a language, you can know a language and be a rookie roleplayer, you cant even be a roleplayer if you don't know the language (OOCly, ICly there would be methods with approval), thats why there are so many different language servers. Getting a semi decent grasp of the language first outside of the server will make their lives much easier instead of relying on finding an inhouse tutor.

Im not saying you need to be Shakespeare to roleplay. But I wouldn't move to Spain to become a Spanish teacher if I only spoke English.

I don’t really see a need for this. Regarding you using RP servers to improve on your English, the admin team is already turning down people whose English is too bad to be usable here.

I generally just think it would be a bad idea, since creating several threads for specific languages in any way is gone limit some people to not be part of it, creating a divide in the server instead of bringing it closer together. Sure, some people could benefit from this and find people with a common tongue, but  majority of the server would be locked out since a lot of people only speaks English.

30 minutes ago, Pegasus_ said:

I don’t really see a need for this. Regarding you using RP servers to improve on your English, the admin team is already turning down people whose English is too bad to be usable here.

I generally just think it would be a bad idea, since creating several threads for specific languages in any way is gone limit some people to not be part of it, creating a divide in the server instead of bringing it closer together. Sure, some people could benefit from this and find people with a common tongue, but  majority of the server would be locked out since a lot of people only speaks English.

Exactly!

I don't believe it'd divide the community in any way. It'd just bring some cool activity around the forums. It wouldn't only help the new players get used to the server and blend in the community but also allow other players have some chitchat about anything in their native languages.

-1 This is an English speaking server and the forums should remain in English with no other languages present. Allowing people to speak in other languages would potentially cause a divide as well as make it harder to find metagaming and improper behaviors on the forums.

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestion. As some time has passed, this has already been implemented, or this suggestion is no longer relevant/viable, it has been moved to our archive. We appreciate you taking the time to post a suggestion thread and encourage more posts in the future.

Regards,
Dalvichan