Dola

Unhide the archived forum reports section

+1

Referencing reports is a good way to protect yourself from doing similar mistakes and to get a rough idea of where boundaries are set within rules since not everything is black and white when you have so many situations that have varying details that make the difference to outlining the correct rulebreak or if one is even necessary to be handed out. Having reports public is transparency and is actually a deterrent to the bias of anybody handling a report. The reason the report system was set out the way it was, was to justify each rulebreak according to what happened was because the staff handling it wanted the reported party as well as the public understand why the punishment (or lack thereof) were handed out the way they were.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hrxvey said:

do you not think that if someone is scared to look like a "bad guy" for punishing someone then they shouldn't have been put into the position where they are able to do so? also, with the way ecrp rules are set out, looking at report decisions does help a lot as there are no real set in stone guidelines as a lot of punishments are down to staffs opinion so looking at past reports is a good guideline for players to base these guidelines off of.

another thing that i would like to mention is the endless amount of clips that people can find through reports, whether its to look back on memories with friends that they can't find the video of, or to try and show someone what an example of a rulebreak is to educate them.

Regarding your first point, if being an ECRP staff member was a job, I’d be inclined to agree with you. You’d be there to do a job, you’d be getting paid, who cares what some phleb thinks. 

That said, it’s a big community but when you’re a staff member and everyone is watching what you do, it’s a really small community. The really good staff members do their thing regardless of whether or not it’ll be a popular decision. 

Not everyone is that confident, to be able to shut that noise out. If those people can do a good job, without feeling coerced or nervous about making the right decision, then it’s  a good change. 

Plus, I never have to see people say ‘thank you staff for taking this report’ again, that shit made me sick. 

Hope this ends up getting rid of the fucked up report mentality that has been here for years and people just use the report section for rule breaks, not for other more petty reasons. 

Public reports, a bit like ‘Save POV’ can get in the bin. We up.

• dead 1

On 1/25/2024 at 3:37 AM, Bala said:

Regarding your first point, if being an ECRP staff member was a job, I’d be inclined to agree with you. You’d be there to do a job, you’d be getting paid, who cares what some phleb thinks. 

That said, it’s a big community but when you’re a staff member and everyone is watching what you do, it’s a really small community. The really good staff members do their thing regardless of whether or not it’ll be a popular decision. 

Not everyone is that confident, to be able to shut that noise out. If those people can do a good job, without feeling coerced or nervous about making the right decision, then it’s  a good change. 

Plus, I never have to see people say ‘thank you staff for taking this report’ again, that shit made me sick. 

Hope this ends up getting rid of the fucked up report mentality that has been here for years and people just use the report section for rule breaks, not for other more petty reasons. 

Public reports, a bit like ‘Save POV’ can get in the bin. We up.

Just seems weird to change things the community don’t want changed. And then talk about solving community problems like “petty reports”

I got banned for a comment I made after that ppl stopped making comment because they knew it was to far. With out the ability to see reports more ppl could possibly get banned for the same thing.

the rules are as cut cross as many staff think. Most are confused on what’s considered dm what’s not. What terms are mixing and what’s not and many other things reports have always been used to one learn and better understand the rules and two to stop ppl from making the same mistake. Out side of you no one has disagreed with this for good reason.

i whole heartedly believe to solve problems like “petty reports” or the problem of staff felling like there making the wrong decisions is bye having a happy community.

you ever heard the phrase a happy wife means a happy life. Use that in context here a happy community means a happy life. Focus on what ppl want and staffs lives are easier.

51 minutes ago, surg3yy said:

Just seems weird to change things the community don’t want changed. And then talk about solving community problems like “petty reports”

I got banned for a comment I made after that ppl stopped making comment because they knew it was to far. With out the ability to see reports more ppl could possibly get banned for the same thing.

the rules are as cut cross as many staff think. Most are confused on what’s considered dm what’s not. What terms are mixing and what’s not and many other things reports have always been used to one learn and better understand the rules and two to stop ppl from making the same mistake. Out side of you no one has disagreed with this for good reason.

i whole heartedly believe to solve problems like “petty reports” or the problem of staff felling like there making the wrong decisions is bye having a happy community.

you ever heard the phrase a happy wife means a happy life. Use that in context here a happy community means a happy life. Focus on what ppl want and staffs lives are easier.

How do you know what the community wants though? This thread has been going for ten days, the change has been active for a little longer and we're about half way through page two. While that doesn't necessarily imply they are happy about the change, it would seem either people are fine with it or they simply don't give enough of a fuck to talk one way or another.

For some of you, I don't think how the report system is set-up is going to make a lick of difference, because some of you will run into trouble regardless of how things are set-up. 😅 

As for a happy community, business is booming, baby. Majority of active players in the community aren't on here complaining about stuff, they're playing. I don't know what the reason was for this change, but I can see what benefits it would bring when it comes to making these decisions. 

Regardless of the change, I think staff could and should do a better job explaining their stance on certain areas of the rules, particularly when significant precedents are set. An individual's report isn't the place for that, it's something that deserves it's own section and for them to state clearly what the change is, why it was changed and what it means for the future.

17 minutes ago, Bala said:

How do you know what the community wants though? This thread has been going for ten days, the change has been active for a little longer and we're about half way through page two. While that doesn't necessarily imply they are happy about the change, it would seem either people are fine with it or they simply don't give enough of a fuck to talk one way or another.

For some of you, I don't think how the report system is set-up is going to make a lick of difference, because some of you will run into trouble regardless of how things are set-up. 😅 

As for a happy community, business is booming, baby. Majority of active players in the community aren't on here complaining about stuff, they're playing. I don't know what the reason was for this change, but I can see what benefits it would bring when it comes to making these decisions. 

Regardless of the change, I think staff could and should do a better job explaining their stance on certain areas of the rules, particularly when significant precedents are set. An individual's report isn't the place for that, it's something that deserves it's own section and for them to state clearly what the change is, why it was changed and what it means for the future.

This thread does not represent the entire community's thoughts nor should it.  If you want the community's opinion you have to first ask them for it, and then inform them of the changes. We really need a poll system where important changes are voted upon by a majority of the community.

This change was made after one person suggested that it be hidden to prevent people from seeing it during a community discord meeting which is only 1 person's opinion. No one was informed that this change would occur, or if we had a say it.

Staff wouldn't have to explain anything if the community could openly watch the report section as it develops, even organize it to specific examples of what not to do and use it as a training material as a lot of our rules are broadly written.. hence the recently 50+ scenarios staff are trying to write up which could be done with past video rule breaks.

1 hour ago, Bala said:

“Sample size” how to early polls predict elections? This is page 2 in 10 days. The only person to disagree with the post is you. Not even the other staff who you say this will help have responded to it disagreeing. 
my point is in the 2 pages it’s Been overwhelmingly for and with this it seems like it’s going to stay that way.

2. With the server and this is not in any way a diss as I am someone who still frequently plays and enjoys it but I wouldn’t consider it booming but this is not the place for this topic.

3. If you see this post from the community asking for something they want back as “complaining” and that’s the mentality staff carry about suggestions is there really any point to post topics on here? People can play and not comment but the people who play and care enough to want to go out of there way to comment shows the stance of the community. People who either don’t care or want it. But no one who agrees with taking it away.

for your last point that’s what the rules page is for but you can’t predict and assume how every situation will go thats why having the ability to see the decisions already made is so good.

Just bring it back how it was why change something no one wanted changed while delaying this that people want?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bala said:

????"Majority of active players in the community aren't on here complaining about stuff, they're playing." ????

True, many people in the community do not frequent forums, but some of the most dedicated members of the community do.

And so far the consensus is overwhelmingly in favour of reverting this change and with all due respect, you have a track history of playing devils advocate in the majority of suggestions so I do not find you disagreeing with literally everyone else who commented surprising. I also find the practice of disparaging people using the forums, namely the suggestions section for suggesting stuff, and calling it complaining to be incredibly poor reasoning.

The forums, particularly the suggestions section, Is the place where people should be allowed to voice their opinion, debate changes/potential changes to the server, and provide reasoning as to why they think its a good/bad idea. if youre seeing as it as "awh fuck, they are just complaining, why dont they just go play the game?" Then you miss the entire point.

We want to enjoy ourselves in this community that we care about. and we care enough that when we see a change we think is bad, we take the time to make sure staff are aware.

Edited by Quietthecutie
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Quietthecutie said:

True, many people in the community do not frequent forums, but some of the most dedicated members of the community do.

And so far the consensus is overwhelmingly in favour of reverting this change and with all due respect, you have a track history of playing devils advocate in the majority of suggestions so I do not find you disagreeing with literally everyone else who commented surprising. I also find the practice of disparaging people using the forums, namely the suggestions section for suggesting stuff, and calling it complaining to be incredibly poor reasoning.

The forums, particularly the suggestions section, Is the place where people should be allowed to voice their opinion, debate changes/potential changes to the server, and provide reasoning as to why they think its a good/bad idea. if youre seeing as it as "awh fuck, they are just complaining, why dont they just go play the game?" Then you miss the entire point.

We want to enjoy ourselves in this community that we care about. and we care enough that when we see a change we think is bad, we take the time to make sure staff are aware.

Okay, so they're dedicated and what? Are their opinions or yours or mine any more valid? If people either don't have an opinion or don't want to voice it, that's their own affair but assuming that something is bad because this thread got made is nonsense. We're on page 2 and half the content is me, responding to people like you. If this change was that bad, you'd hear a lot more about it considering it's not a specific change for specific groups.

This change isn't for you and it's not for me. It was brought in by the staff team, for the staff team to be able to do what they need to, to get reports done. This has nothing to do with in-game, just out of it. Relying and expecting for staff to communicate rule break changes and precedents through individual player report outcomes is actually retarded and I think considering the confusion that permeates through the community concerning rules, privatising the reports and if they choose to go the announcement route, as I suggested before, then we will see a lot more clarity community-wide.

I don't have the first clue about criminal DM precedents, I'm a cop. My faction rules are more or less the server rules. As long as I follow the faction rules, I won't end up in trouble for gameplay reasons. But, it would be handy to know when something is decided, in case I want to stop being a cop or I need to report someone. 

I say this as someone that has contributed to the suggestion forum more than most, it's like making a long social media post and then never sending it. I don't see the 'aw fuck, they are just complaining, why dont they go and just play the game?' thing as valid but at the same time, there's plenty of other things to be salty about here, this just isn't as deep as some people make it out to be.

What did make me chuckle though, is look through the people that have said they want to see it reversed, I rest my case lmao.

Every report is handled differently, based on its specific circumstances -- no two situations are exactly the same. If people base what is allowed on what happened in x report or y report it creates a very rule-play-y atmosphere. 

People should instead ty to immerse themselves into their characters and their surroundings, and do what they feel is realistic at any given point. If it ends up that it was a mistake, then, they know to avoid it in the future. I think with a lot of punishments being relatively relaxed, no one should feel in fear of being removed for one or two mistakes. 

Just act in good faith, do stuff that makes sense, and you don't need to analyze stuff.

Edited by alexalex303

18 hours ago, Bala said:

I don't have the first clue about criminal DM precedents, I'm a cop. My faction rules are more or less the server rules

So you understand them or you don't? I believe with the recent DM changes it will be more critical than ever for people to learn from decisions staff make on reports.

Edited by PurplePlant

Forgot to comment on this. For me over the years ive seen players who are pd/sd or they have a staff role OR a certain group who are friends with staff get treated way differently on the forums when everybody has the ability to see and criticise, so I fear this sort of "corruption" on the forums will get worse when theres nobody there to witness the result. When I see a feature like this implemented I get thoughts of bias and corruption from staff which dont make me trust the server at all. If I feel this way im sure there's others that feel the same. This can lead the server down a bad road. If i dont trust the product (which is the server), I'm not going to spend money on it simple as. There needs to be transparency across the board. 

I think that hiding them so you can’t just go back and find reports to compare situations to is good, BUT I do feel if you have a link to an old report you should be able to access it. 

criminal factions usually link reports pertaining to rostered players, and being able to go back and see reports with them involved in it is very beneficial. 

• Upvote 1