ArcAngel

Remove /suspend proximity

Similar to firearms licensing, there isn't a proximity. With Vehicle there is.
It ought to be digital. It would be great to have a similar system to the missing weapon function where you search a persons name and it shows if they have a license and if its suspended. You can go on to the MDC and click Suspend and it changes it to true.

Alternatively, to be more simple without touching the MDC, just remove proximity from /suspend and RP should be done. 
/me logs onto the DMV system via the MDC /me marks the individuals license as suspended.

Just makes things easier if you forget to suspend, or you are the arresting officer, or crime reports etc.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AtlasOLimbo said:

Even when I was in PD I thought this as a good thing as it punished me for being forgetful and not properly executing my duties in a reasonable timeframe. Worse came to worse, I'd go back to DOC.

It just doesn't make much sense. Police can already add charges without being next to people, report weapons stolen without being next to people, look up their information without being next to someone, etc... In a realistic sense you wouldn't have to physically be next to someone to suspend a license or add demerits and from a gameplay aspect it's a design flaw at worst and an annoyance at best. 

I would think it would be in everyone's interest to have Police be able to do some of the processing work (adding charges, suspending, arrest reports) while they get transported or dealt with by DOC as opposed to me having to make them wait an extra 5-10 minutes because I can't /suspend unless they are next to me. 

I don't care about taking my time to dot all the i's and cross the t's, but I'm getting paid for that time, criminals aren't.

+1 While it keeps us on our toes but we have much more paperwork and other IC related stuff to deal with. IRL this would be in the arrest report. With LAPD this is done through the desk sergeant or judge who files a request for suspension to the Motor Vehicle Department by the person who finalizes the arrest report. You'd be waiting for this entire process to take place before the suspension is carried out. So in-game it's not feasible to have to be next to the person, if it takes another 5-10 minutes to finalize it report, I don't see a problem. Also IC regulations would come in if this was abused, on both the PD and suspect's side i.e. IA's, JB cases, etc.

Edited by Alex Schill
Clarification

While I am for it moving to being something that isn't proximity and rather global.

I think points made as other commenters would be great and add for more variety of different RP.

Must it be moved to global I agree with the [SUSPENDED] not showing up on your /license

but it rather showing up on the MDC when you search the individuals name along with their citations/imprisonments etc.
This could be a simple line of saying
License: Active/Suspended

This would be something that'd bring different changes to RP, as if it's on the MDC rather than the /license, a Police Officer scanning a plate would know right away that the R/O has a suspended license rather than gathering the knowledge upon receiving the license from the Driver, however it still plays in fairness as you won't always know if the R/O matches the current driver of the vehicle.

On top of that, instead of /checksuspensions showing if its active or not, rather use it for showing the remaining time left on the suspension. (Potentially leaving this command to LEO's only to which would create more RP for people to find out of when their license suspension is up.)

• Like 2

@SmushyTaco I agree with your first thoughts and @Ramo on the ID and a command for checking if the license is suspended, it gives LEOs more to do, more RP and an more reason to get back in the cruiser and run a license in the computer after RPly taking/looking at it. This makes it more realistic and fun for everyone.

As for your swap seat suggestion lets keep this to the OP, I'd suggest a new thread as this would create a different debate and draw attention elsewhere.

If you forget to suspend the license, go back to DOC and suspend it. 

I agree with @SmushyTacothat it isn't fair to suspend the license x amount of hours later etc because then that can add extra time.

And then it can get confusing when someone gets out of jail, gets their car out of the impound but then the license gets suspended after they have already gotten their car out. Then this can cause some confusion as to why a LEO let someone with a suspended license take out their car despite the suspension happening after that etc.

I also wouldn't trust some individuals with this because they would intentionally wait to suspend it later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cyrus Raven said:

This can still happen with the current system though.

Less likely to happen because if they have gotten out of prison you would have to find that person and do it. At that point odds are pretty low that the arresting officer would go out of their way to do that.

It's on us as LEOs to do it at the appropriate time rather than punish the individual for our mistake. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jett_J said:

Less likely to happen because if they have gotten out of prison you would have to find that person and do it. At that point odds are pretty low that the arresting officer would go out of their way to do that.

It's on us as LEOs to do it at the appropriate time rather than punish the individual for our mistake. 

There is still IC protocol that would be in place, it's not like people will suddenly add hours time to your suspension. We're talking a few minutes as other IC stuff is completed. It's no different in that regard to someone not doing /prison or /jail

1 minute ago, Alex Schill said:

There is still IC protocol that would be in place, it's not like people will suddenly add hours time to your suspension. We're talking a few minutes as other IC stuff is completed. It's no different in that regard to someone not doing /prison or /jail

Right but some people do paperwork at the end of their shift etc. So if you arrested someone like 3 hours ago and just realized you didn't suspend their license, then it's unfair to suspend it that late. Removing the proximity will 100% encourage this behavior. I don't think there is any need to remove the proximity because it should be done when you're adding charges with the suspect in the cruiser or next to you at the cells.

If we are really that worried about suspending a license, then perhaps just have the script automatically suspend the license when a charge is added.

35 minutes ago, Jett_J said:

Right but some people do paperwork at the end of their shift etc. So if you arrested someone like 3 hours ago and just realized you didn't suspend their license, then it's unfair to suspend it that late. Removing the proximity will 100% encourage this behavior. I don't think there is any need to remove the proximity because it should be done when you're adding charges with the suspect in the cruiser or next to you at the cells.

If we are really that worried about suspending a license, then perhaps just have the script automatically suspend the license when a charge is added.

We may just disagree, which is totally fine but there would be IC consequences if you take too long suspending the license. I mean if the consensus is that concerned it would be abused and won't risk it make it automatic with adding the charge in the MDC but I'd say at least give it a shot before resorting to this.

However and maybe we got sidetracked, but the main reason is also to add RP as @Ramo pointed out. If you have the suspension proximity removed and accessed via the MDC while removing the suspension being shown when one does /license, it adds more RP for LEOs. Not only is there now a chance that people may get away with a suspended license if it's not checked properly, it also adds a reason to go and run a license through the system, especially say on a traffic stop for the LEO to go back to his car, open up the MDC, run the license to see if it's valid, like it would be done IRL and then return to the car even if you're issuing a warning. 

On 4/4/2022 at 12:25 AM, AtlasOLimbo said:

Even when I was in PD I thought this as a good thing as it punished me for being forgetful and not properly executing my duties in a reasonable timeframe. Worse came to worse, I'd go back to DOC.

You do realise it's all digital though right? Points on your license isn't fucking braille is it?
Also, where would the sense be in dropping off someone at a prison and then going back, putting yourself in danger to go into their cell just to suspend their license because you forgot?

I saw some concerns about it being unfair that someone might get their license suspended 2-3 hours after a situation happened and while I'd agree, the amount of times that would happen would be very minor compared to the amount of times it would be done correctly.

There should be no proximity limiter on the command but also, the demerits should not show automatically when someone shows your their license, it should be on the MDC instead.

#MakeItMakeSense

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Destuin said:

-1 its just part of your duties, you should remember. The technology for remotely paying tickets isn't available yet. Also I always imagined that your actual license was updated, or how else do LSC check it?

They wouldn't be able to check if it is suspended, but realistically, I don't know a mechanic shop that has access to DMV records. Let's say I get into a DUI and my license is suspended for 30 days, I can still drive my car to the dealership or mechanic and they'll fix it without questioning.