kitkatkait

Punishment & Reward in Prison

Punishment & Reward in Prison

At the current moment, DOC doesn't have the ability to give any real rewards or punishments to inmates - unlike actual prison facilities.

Here's a list of what the faction can currently offer on it's own without further assistance from outside agencies or admins:

• Lockdown - This is a typical punishment issued when inmates have a medium to low level disciplinary infraction. Usually ranging from suspected contraband or multiple individuals involved in a fight. We do not wish to hinder their ability to RP so we typically keep this to about 10 minutes.
  • Solitary - Solitary feels more like an OOC punishment to most people so we try to not abuse it. The max OOC time we try to adhere to is 1 hour for the most egregious IC act, but we typically try to keep it under 30 minutes if we can. 

A lot of times players will non-rply do something in the last 10 minutes of their sentence knowing they are about to be released. They teleport to the front desk away from the incident and there's usually nothing we can do due to the inability to add extra charges to inmates.

Here's a list of what the faction can currently offer on it's own without further assistance from outside agencies or admins:

• Stamps - When we find stamps we can use this as a way to further RP with inmates. Sometimes we introduce games and the winner obtains the stack of stamps as their prize. The issue is stamps are not accessible by guards and its mostly pure luck when we do come across them. The yard is unusable for obtaining stamps for inmates due to the yard having access to the rest of the prison and the ore selling point being in the old yard area.
  • Food and water -  Usually our own food and water. I'm sure they appreciate it but it's more common sense to not let them die of thirst than a real reward.
  • RP Opportunities - For those who don't attack us on sight, they have a nice moment with us, we tried to RP with them in the facilities we have which admittedly has lead to a lot more positive RP experiences from both sides since the new prison was released.

The only punishment that would really encourage better prison RP would be the ability to add extra charges or time to their sentence. This is what realistically would happen when someone breaks the law in prison, however, currently at this time we would have to call PD/SD and ask for more charges (time) to be added. But this requires the inmate to be released, charges added, and then to be re-prisoned and is truly not something that can be done the majority of the time.

Modify Sentences

At IRL prisons, they have the power to reduce sentence for good conduct or to keep them longer if it seems like they are not ready to go back in the population ( danger for others etc). It would be interesting if DOC could have a command like /extendprisontime /reduceprisontime. Obviously we would expect some kind of limitation to this (for example command-members only with extreme IC regulations and guidelines attached) so as not to leave the opportunity for abuse, and this would need us to change our protocols and to decide who can reduce or extend in the department. But I believe it will motivate players to attempt other kinds of RP, a non-violent one as Prison RP is not only about riot or fighting. And let's be honest most of the fighting is DM anyway which we have been trying to combat with more active reports but it is still prevalent. This also introduces the idea of rehabilitation which right now is not something feasibly achievable without some sort of give-and-take.

Solitary Confinement Changes

Another option if the first one is not possible could be with the solitary sentence. If once we put an inmate in solitary it could stop his actual prison time from going down. I think this would be a good option to encourage people to be more afraid of solitary and to rply treat it like it should be. It would act as a great deterrent and still serve the realistic disciplinary action that it should.

Stamp Changes

In terms of alternate rewards, it has been brought up in other threads that things such as making stamps accessible to the DOC staff would be very useful as a reward structure. This could be something where officers or the DOC itself could allocate a set amount of funds to purchase stamps (at a higher ratio of the 1:1 they're 'converted' for inmates to prevent cash generation on the server, for example 100 stamps could cost $150). Like the above suggestions this could be managed by the DOC command team ICly and regulated but it would allow for rewards for the well-behaved inmates.

Luxury Items in Prison Shop

Assuming the yard/mining issues were fixed, additions of some more 'luxury' items to the prison store such as:
- Cigarettes 
- mp3 players (if the speaker system ever got fixed it could be a small proximity, low volume speaker)
- Possibly letters that inmates could write and guards could send to addresses through the postal job somehow
- Basic pain medication (painkiller items) with a script limit on number they'd be able to buy
- 'Book' items that stamps are spent on a long action timer that would reduce their time in prison (naturally it would need to be scaled with a realistic time to mine the stamps, but this would be more immersive than /exchangestamps, a command which scaling is atrociously unusuable with the few seconds you'd get off your sentence for 20 minutes of mining)

• Like 13
  • Upvote 17

Huge +1. As a DOC guard these changes would be amazing and a much nicer way for us to interact with inmates and to keep the rule breakings down, as right now I see more admins in prison then inmates.

As a crim an even bigger +1. With the new interior there are more things to do and engage in, but most of the time all you see is (( ALT TABBED )) above peoples heads. These new changes would make the word "solitary" have so much more meaning as it will be added time one has to spend in prison, which quite frankly no one wants. It would avoid constant DM, for example, someone is being annoying, I tell him to go away and he sees it as a reason to DM me. Often I don't even make a report as I would be making a report every second.

I am in high hopes these changes can go into effect as it is a big positive for both legal and crim RP.

• Like 2

+1.

Much like how SD/PD have a certain rank where they can remove/add charges, DOC should have a certain rank where command members are able to issue real punishments / incentives to inmates inside of their jurisdiction. DOC does not have a way to manage their own facility right now other than trying to bring fresh roleplay to typically reoccurring inmates in a very limited space. It's pretty challenging and DOC needs quality of life changes.

• Like 2

+1
We need more incentives and punishments that we can work with the inmates. Good behavior is a thing and solitary should be feared for a reason beyond "im away from everyone else"

A stamps/prison job/luxury item overhaul would be very valuable for both guards and inmates.

• Like 2

+1!!! Prison Jobs,(both RPly and scriptly) Luxury items in the stamps shop, and more ways to earn stamps! the rp inside the prison system needs to be fleshed out. I would love to have a character permanently in prison and RP prison, even prison gangs, befriending guards and so on but currently the only things to do is fight and rob people. Even if you mine for more stamps, if you are there for 30+ minutes you will probably get jumped or fight and if you go down, even if revived you will lose your pickaxe. The only way to get another pickaxe is to rob someone and so the cycle continues. Even as a crim you can feel that the guards have little power, they either lock everyone in cells which isnt very fun or put them in solitary which is actually super boring and non rp (not that its their fault) there just needs to be something else here! 

Edited by strangur