Bala

Base Jail/Prison Fines Amount on Wealth.

As a cop in the server, I've put away my fair share of criminals into jail or prison and I can't help but think on occasion, it's a little bit like double jeopardy.
Not only are they going to a place with less role-play opportunity, they are also taking a financial hit when they do it as well.

While this might not be an issue for our better situated criminals who already have quite a lot of money behind them, it can really hurt those criminals that are just getting started.

For example, if I've been playing here a while and I have say $500,000 in the bank and I get hit with a Felony Evading charge, I'm paying out 1% of my bank. 
If I've just started and I have scraped together $50,000 in the bank and I get hit with the same charge, I'm paying out 10% of my bank.

Which one of those players is more clued up on our criminal system and which one of those players is going to feel the impact more?

As a cop, my goal is stop people getting away with committing crimes, not stop them from wanting to attempt them altogether.
Crime is a currency for our law enforcement factions and arguably more important to us than the money we get paid and we rely on it for our factions.

My idea is a simple one, instead of a fixed amount for fines on jail, modify it by a similar system that we use to tax people's salary
For example, if someone is in the highest tax bracket, you charge them the standard fine amount on imprisonment but if they are in the lower brackets, you discount it accordingly.
If someone has 35% tax for example, they pay $5,000 for Felony Evading. If they are a new player, they pay $2,500. The other tax brackets would be reductions from the standard amount.

I'm not advocating for change in the fines as fine prices are an IC issue, but adding a script modifier for them based on a player's circumstances would make even a small difference to a lot of people on the server.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Xoza said:

Charge modifiers should affect the fine as well and I'd really like to see 'stamps' have a conversion rate. So you can make some money in prison to work off a bit of that debt.

This too, important people are at least doing something besides binge watching Netflix shows and doing elementary school mathematics every ten minutes.

9 hours ago, Devil Neeraj said:

People can be on highest tax bracket due to their worth and still have 10k$ in bank. Eclipse is already killing Criminal RP. We dont' need any other update like this which kills Crim RP more. This will be only good for low life criminal.

You do realise you wouldn't be paying more right? You'd be paying the same you pay now. It's just that the people with less money wouldn't have to pay as much.
The simple fact is that everyone from Jay Gamble to Derek Neeraj started out as a low life criminal at one point.

There are going to be people that get hit with the fines when they commit crimes and don't bother playing again, the less of those, the better for the server and the more criminals to add to the melting pot.

In the words of Lucky Luciano, "it's not less, it's more."

• Like 1

if this suggestion was there to improve Roleplay, and not just to help finances,. I'd suggest the following : reduce prison by a certain % depending on how many players are inside the prison [guards and prisoners] - so If I am going in to prison and there's 1 prisoner (most likely AFK) and 0 guards.. this is 100% a situation where I would not be able to do ANY Roleplay, so if the RP aspect was the one to improve here I'd suggest something like that, since prison cap time is always rejected, reduce a % based on prison's activity since less players there = less RP.

In terms of finances +1 on reducing fines for non-wealthy players but keep it the same for wealthier ones

Edited by CalvinKlein

18 hours ago, Xoza said:

Charge modifiers should affect the fine as well and I'd really like to see 'stamps' have a conversion rate. So you can make some money in prison to work off a bit of that debt.

You currently can make money off stamps. Stamps serve 3 purposes in DOC to my understanding. 
1. Use them to lower your time in prison, I personally think this one is useless because 1000 stamps reduces like 10 seconds, or something like that.
2. Stock up on food and water, yes water and food can be cheaper in prison depending, and you're not doing anything else anyways. I know I used to stock up on water whenever I could in DOC. 

3. It converts into actual money once you get out. If you have 1000 stamps, you get $1000. Granted it is all pocket money, but you still do have it.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, CarryOut said:

3. It converts into actual money once you get out. If you have 1000 stamps, you get $1000. Granted it is all pocket money, but you still do have it.

Oh, it actually does? Okay, I never had enough stamps to notice...

Wait, why the concern then that there's 'nothing' to do on prison? This allows you to do something and earn money to positively impact you outside of prison.

My suggestion would be to allow a person to work off their fines. So say for example I go to jail with $25k in fines. Should I choose to do manual labor in the prison I should be able to pay back all of that $25k when I do X amount of manual labor. This allows people who can afford to pay it to ignore the manual labor. But if you're broke you might try to do it to get your fine money back.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Xoza said:

Wait, why the concern then that there's 'nothing' to do on prison? This allows you to do something and earn money to positively impact you outside of prison.

Because of what you have to do in prison and how long to get even $1000.

6 hours ago, Xoza said:

The conversion rate is awful, plus stamps barely reduce prison time. They're only good for buying a bit of food for your sentence.

+1 It's refreshing to hear a cop player sympathise with crim players when it comes to the lack of RP opportunities in DOC, and the fact that fines and sentences shouldn't deter anyone from playing crim. I agree with the suggestion @Bala, although the fines on the richest of people shouldn't be too high (a concern that @Devil Neeraj addresses).

I also agree that prison labour should provide you with more stamps/cash, and that time reduction should be increased when exchanging those stamps.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.