jowebb7

"Alternatives to simply going around and chain-robbing"

I just wanted to give my opinions about a statement from the recent announcement on the discord.

We have listened to ideas presented in the past and implemented more things to encourage civilian roleplay and offer an alternative to simply going around and chain-robbing, which include recent updates such as, mining, trucker job enhancements, hunting and player-owned general stores.

I do not believe the recent changes have been successful in discouraging chain robbing because the reality is they have taken away from existing jobs(trucker is worse), created more opportunities for robbery(mining), or are not even accessible(hunting).

1) Mining - Encourages chain robbing because you are able to sit at the foundry and get 15-20k off of civilians with little effort. If you are robbing, you don't need the truck with 500 inventory space or to have taken the 30 minutes to mine it.

- Suggestion: Make mining money go to salary. Mining should also be decreased by 30-40% so that it is not blatantly overpowered. I would also like to hear an official post about whether holding the crate, even if you have RPed placing it in the seat as you drive, is power gaming. I have read reports on people getting hit with power gaming but most people in the server think it is okay if you RP it. As new people come into the server, vets are informing them that it is okay to do this.

Seems as if the mining numbers have been coming down. I am not sure if this is because of the automated price adjustments or developer intervention so I retract my price reduction suggestions.

2) Trucker Job - There is not enough work for more than 1 trucker to have work for any substantial amount of time. Work only comes when store owners place orders and that doesn't happen very often.  I have spent many hours waiting on orders to be available and they never come. 

- Suggestion: Can we make those orders only available for people who own trucks and find away to bring back some of the old system as an option for either truck renters or truck owners?

3) Hunting - I have been told that you need a knife to skin the animals, yet knives are not able to be ordered by store owners so how are we supposed to buy them? Maybe I am missing something IC but from what my character has learned in game, I am not even capable of hunting.

- Suggestion: Let store owners be able to place orders for knives again.

Seems as if knives are now able to be bought in stores again.

I have no comments about owning a general store because as a player who has only been around for a few weeks, I don't have the liquidity to buy a place like that yet.

Let me know what everyone else things about that. I am very open to the fact that I maybe completely ignorant about some things. These are the opinions of someone who is not a criminal and works at LSC.

Edited by jowebb7

51 minutes ago, jowebb7 said:

I just wanted to give my opinions about a statement from the recent announcement on the discord.

We have listened to ideas presented in the past and implemented more things to encourage civilian roleplay and offer an alternative to simply going around and chain-robbing, which include recent updates such as, mining, trucker job enhancements, hunting and player-owned general stores.

I do not believe the recent changes have been successful in discouraging chain robbing because the reality is they have taken away from existing jobs(trucker is worse), created more opportunities for robbery(mining), or are not even accessible(hunting).

1) Mining - Encourages chain robbing because you are able to sit at the foundry and get 15-20k off of civilians with little effort. If you are robbing, you don't need the truck with 500 inventory space or to have taken the 30 minutes to mine it.

- Suggestion: Make mining money go to salary. Mining should also be decreased by 30-40% so that it is not blatantly overpowered. I would also like to hear an official post about whether holding the crate, even if you have RPed placing it in the seat as you drive, is power gaming. I have read reports on people getting hit with power gaming but most people in the server think it is okay if you RP it. As new people come into the server, vets are informing them that it is okay to do this.

2) Trucker Job - There is not enough work for more than 1 trucker to have work for any substantial amount of time. Work only comes when store owners place orders and that doesn't happen very often.  I have spent many hours waiting on orders to be available and they never come. 

- Suggestion: Can we make those orders only available for people who own trucks and find away to bring back some of the old system as an option for either truck renters or truck owners?

3) Hunting - I have been told that you need a knife to skin the animals, yet knives are not able to be ordered by store owners so how are we supposed to buy them? Maybe I am missing something IC but from what my character has learned in game, I am not even capable of hunting.

- Suggestion: Let store owners be able to place orders for knives again.

I have no comments about owning a general store because as a player who has only been around for a few weeks, I don't have the liquidity to buy a place like that yet.

Let me know what everyone else things about that. I am very open to the fact that I maybe completely ignorant about some things. These are the opinions of someone who is not a criminal and works at LSC.

Some shops do sell them but they are never in stock. I believe as soon as they are delivered people are buying them out and reselling for a bigger profit.

Mining - I agree with the mining to an extent though I don't agree it should be reduced. With legal Jobs money should go straight into the account and not the pocket like you said. I think the mine should be expanded or other mines added to the map. The current mine gets very overcrowded and gangs sometimes hang out robbing people. Maybe we could get a gold and silver mine and a diamond mine too. Make the chances of finding them hard but if you find one then they are worth a lot. In turn you can have diamond drop offs etc. 

Also, if we can't use crates then we should be able to fill bags and store filled bags inside trucks or cars up to the amount the vehicle can carry. Being able to store bodies but not bags is dumb. And being able to store full bags would make mining a lot better amongst other RP events.

Hunting - is non existent and does not work in its current form. Animals are bugged and mostly all gutted when you find them, if you can find them at all that is. You can spend hours looking and bit find one. Animal spawn rate needs fixed so that animals can be found way more easily across the entire map.

Stores added to game - Devs made them so expensive that only the rich could benefit so that excluded normal folk just like the housing market in its current form too. More businesses need to be opened like burger joints, noodle shops and all sorts like that. Then truckers will get more jobs. Fast food joints can go hand in hand with the butcher's. To stock up they would need to order meat from butcher's and wheat from farm to make burgers etc. This adds more RP in to the game and links up different jobs perhaps.

Truckers - there needs to be a minimum order amount because shop owners are taking advantage of the system which leaves truckers open to abuse and. It making much money at all for all the time they put into delivering. If there were more businesses then truckers would naturally get more work. There's a crap ton of businesses that can be opened in this city. Also, why not allow civilians to out in orders for cars to be moved around the city and delivered to parking lot of something.... Just a thought.

RP - this is why everyone is here and of you ain't part of a gang then it doesn't really leave a lot of opportunities for good RP. No other jobs allow for decent RP which ends up being boring as they don't even pay enough to keep poeole interested.

Just my thoughts on it. Definitely need more to do in the city as a civilian...

Just now, BigDaddySco said:

Some shops do sell them but they are never in stock. I believe as soon as they are delivered people are buying them out and reselling for a bigger profit.

I asked a shop owner and he told me they are not able to order them any more.

3 hours ago, jowebb7 said:

+1 This is a good idea. I feel it would slow down the robbing at the mines. 

Hunting is clearly broken so i wouldn't even bother with that until fixed.

2 hours ago, BigDaddySco said:

Truckers - there needs to be a minimum order amount because shop owners are taking advantage of the system which leaves truckers open to abuse and. It making much money at all for all the time they put into delivering. If there were more businesses then truckers would naturally get more work. There's a crap ton of businesses that can be opened in this city. Also, why not allow civilians to out in orders for cars to be moved around the city and delivered to parking lot of something.... Just a thought.

+1 This is another good idea. If you had to "buy" your own truck in order to do deliveries. Maybe even make the stocks lower that store owners can buy that way they sell out faster and more order will come in quicker.

Couple of points:

1) Alternatives to robbing should include criminal based activities, because many of the people robbing do it because they have no interest in doing regular civilian jobs. They want to do crime, but are not in gangs or are low-level members, but have a desire to be tough-guy criminals. So they buy a gun at the bank, steal a warrener, and go robbing people.

2) The solution to this problem will take more than just adding more civ jobs. Partially because of the reason above, and because chain-robbing is safe (far safer then mining or fishing or farming). There needs to be more risk in robbing, and IMO, higher RP standards need to be enforced along with the risk. 

As it is, chain robbing using the "hands up or I'll shoot in 5 seconds" technique is safe, effective, fun for some criminal-wannabes, and takes zero effort.

• Like 3

Criminal activities that would take their attention off of civs could include bank robberies, ATM robberies, jewelry store, gun stores, robbing the actual foundry instead of players (since they have all kinds of money there to pay the drivers/miners.  

Robbing stores and having it come out of the owners pocket, since most store owners are not very active, it could create more RP opportunities for those that want action and create jobs for security companies.  

Robbing the bank or ATMs, they'd have cameras that the police could look at to identify the assailants. Silent alarms at the bank that would instantly notify police and they could mobilize to intercept.  Which could create plenty of quality rp scenes (if those involved take the time to invest in them).  

Another point, wearing masks at all times is absolutely ridiculous and should be made into a crime or something.  Make people show their faces more as I've never seen people wear masks in person like almost everyone in this city does, myself included.  Maybe that's an IC issue and a city ordinance needs to be passed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Reckless311 said:

Criminal activities that would take their attention off of civs could include bank robberies, ATM robberies, jewelry store, gun stores, robbing the actual foundry instead of players (since they have all kinds of money there to pay the drivers/miners.  

Robbing stores and having it come out of the owners pocket, since most store owners are not very active, it could create more RP opportunities for those that want action and create jobs for security companies.  

Robbing the bank or ATMs, they'd have cameras that the police could look at to identify the assailants. Silent alarms at the bank that would instantly notify police and they could mobilize to intercept.  Which could create plenty of quality rp scenes (if those involved take the time to invest in them).  

Another point, wearing masks at all times is absolutely ridiculous and should be made into a crime or something.  Make people show their faces more as I've never seen people wear masks in person like almost everyone in this city does, myself included.  Maybe that's an IC issue and a city ordinance needs to be passed.

+1 to everything 

The mask thing bothers me more than it should. I think that this halloween parade makes the RP look worse and por since its not related to real life at all.

Icly PD could help a bit by stopping the person in order to identify them, and make some questions about the reason of the person to remain hidden from others (due to the crime rates I think its viable).

Edited by Kyznotic
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 11:43 AM, Reckless311 said:

This makes a lot of sense.  Currently, the price of "fun criminal RP" is borne by new players trying to make enough money to buy a car so they don't have to jog from the bank to their bus driving job.  It makes no sense that the ultra-wealthy of the server, such as people who can afford multi-million shops and properties, are not the primary potential victims of crime.  If the rich were at risk of losing money to crime, they would be incentivized to hire private security, which would open up an entire industry of RP.  I believe there are people who are trying to get private security businesses off the ground, but nothing is going to work unless it's more profitable than chain robbing.

Although I guess the server does a pretty good job of emulating real life in that the rich can have fun and do whatever they want, while the poor have to drive a truck in circles and do nothing else but get robbed on occasion (or turn to crime).  "But the poor can RP!"  Sure, if they never want to be able to afford more than a $10k sedan, because they can't make money while RPing anything other than a delivery driver or a miner.

It is also a little jarring walking past the constant Halloween party outside the bank, speaker and all.

Edited by ShyNudist

On 6/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, Jasmine said:

higher RP standards need to be enforced along with the risk. 

As it is, chain robbing using the "hands up or I'll shoot in 5 seconds" technique is safe, effective, fun for some criminal-wannabes, and takes zero effort.

+1 on this. Deterrence and an enforced roleplay standard would be a viable solution. Take one look at clips focused in the player reports section, MANY reoccurring players with zero character development and background other than robbing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ShyNudist said:

It's also weird that cops aren't allowed to camp known criminal spots, or camp the foundry/fishing spots, but criminals can camp them so they can chain rob civilians.

Cops can camp the foundary or fishing spots. Drug labs etc cannot be built anywhere which is a script limitations..therefore its unfair for cops to camp it.

6 minutes ago, DeanThompson said:

Great point!  How many times you I've gotten into police chases...participated in drug trafficking rings or been to jail for murder?

Robberies are a part of the game.

So you agree that it isn't entirely based on real life, so the argument that "it's part of life" is a fallacious argument at best?

For the record, I've never done any of those things in game either.  I'm a Civ RP'er.  

Edited by Reckless311
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ShyNudist said:

It's also weird that cops aren't allowed to camp known criminal spots, or camp the foundry/fishing spots, but criminals can camp them so they can chain rob civilians.

How many civilians in real do you know that run drugs labs lol. 

I'd imagine drug labs are ran by gangs and therefore gangs camping them is realistic. Cops bust random drug labs daily. And if I ran a drug lab in RL and some civilian walked in and started cooking my shit I'd for sure rob his silly ass.

Also, gangs fight over running labs so I'd say that is pretty realistic too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.