Swagmiku

Proposal: Let ALL Players have the option to pause RP as absolutely needed!

Good Morning ladies and Gentleman!

I am here with what I believe would be an absolutely helpful proposition! And that is to let any player have the option to pause RP for themselves in the event an unexpected situation arises in game! In other words, please give us the option to mark ourselves as OOC when the need absolutely arises, subject to admin approval depending on the circumstances.

Now why would we need this? Well, I can give a few reasons and scenarios that I've seen happen to players and have had happen to me alike!

I'll begin with the fact that as we all know GTA V is a game, and games are never perfect. So it is understood that sometimes, you might say, get stuck in a wall, or the floor, or maybe your car will flip itself upside down over an invisible/desynched server object during a super high speed chase! Or even worse, maybe your car will just freak out and violently thrash around angrily for no reason!

All of the scenarios mentioned above are not the fault of the player ICly or OOCly in question, they are a fault with the current state of the base GTA V game combined with all of the tools we use to RP on it. Now you could be thinking: "Swagmiku, just /report 2 "I got stuck in a wall/my car randomly flipped out and destroyed itself/stopped working." -The problem with that is the fact that due to a major increase in GTA V RP popularity, admin response times have gone way, waaaaaay down. And that's totally to be expected! On an RP server that can reach up to 1000+ players they are probably out and about solving problems and helping the community. Not to mention, admins are players too! So we can expect them to actively participate in roleplay, creating their own stories and the like as well, therefore not all of them are always on active duty. Personally, I understand this, buuuuuut~

How am I supposed to continue my (Roleplay) when something like what mentioned above happens to me? To expand upon the things described above, I've seen a roleplayer have a glitch happen to them wherein their car got stuck in the air and wouldn't move/fall. Typical /report 2 "My car is the second coming of jesus, pls halp" ya know? But while waiting 45+ minutes patiently near their car for some assistance due to what I can only assume is staff working/fixing issues involving other jesus cars, some gang members roll up and demand the players car, possessions, guns, and moolah! Despite the best attempts from the person in need of admin assistance to calmly explain the situation to said gang, he wasn't able to pause RP for himself and found themselves the victim of a crime that otherwise would have never happened! Oh no! And we can't log out either, because then we wouldn't be around to respond to our reports!  You could make the same report on the forum buuuuut the response times there are just as long if not longer for obvious reasons, because now not only do the staff have to potentially fix an inworld issue, they have to troubleshoot and perhaps find a permanent fix to said issue! (As someone who works in the IT field, hooo boy do I know what this is like.)

This can be frustrating as you can see. So back to the proposal at hand! Would it be at all possible to have a /command denoting players as OOC/Waiting for Assistance? I also propose that the command should only be used while a /report is active if this is at all further possible!

That's all I really needed to say, thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion!

Edited by Swagmiku

Just now, Dimitri Sokolov said:

As Femo said, if all the players in the area agree to pause the RP, then I believe it should be okay.

I can get behind the idea, however! I feel like the potential for abuse/misuse is high!

To give you an example of what I mean, let's use one of the situation I described above!

You are in the middle of a high speed chase! You've just stolen 5k and some drugs from a rival gang! You're barreling down Blaine County doing 175 and wham! Desync! You hit an invisible object in the middle of the road! Or your car glitches out and decides to become Jesus!

For all purposes, you 'could' have met up with your crew and taken on the other gang, you 'could' have passed a cop that may have joined in on the fray and made things much harder for for the rival gang to intercept, giving you some time to escape with proper planning! Buuuut~

That didn't happen. The rival gang immediately catches up with you despite seeing you unfortunate accident and steals your goods back from you! And more!

Personally I feel like this is a difficult decision to make here, do you try to explain briefly OOCly to the gang what happened in hopes they'll agree with you, wait for a staff to resolve the issue, then continue the high speed chase roleplay after going OOC for a bit?

What if one of those members genuinely wants to take advantage if the situation anyhow and won't agree to pause the roleplay? How could you tell even? I'd like to believe this would NEVER happen but given the influx of improper role players I'd say its quite reasonable that it might. 

I think its okay that you should be able to type in /command to go OOC and wait for an admin after filing a report as long as you're solely by yourself and need assistance.

Doing so during a large RP under various different circumstances could potentially be difficult and tricky however!

What are your thoughts?

In my personal opinion this I see this abused a lot, for different reasons. Although it might be somewhat easy to do and even though in theory, it won't be abused due to the way you need to activate it, it really sounds risky. Being given the ability to some players to go OOC and not be able to be touched can create some massive issues in the situation. 

Obviously, this is my own opinion, take in mind that upon entry every player agrees with the rules, and the rules clearly state that 

In a situation where a player’s game crashes or the player is kicked from the server, they should
be allowed to have the same advantages as they have had before their leave.

this situation, you being stopped by a glitch, still counts to that rule, as in real life you can't really crash into an invisible object. So if someone does that/attempts to do that, he can be punished. Cops are really strict on that rule, in the case of you being kicked/disconnected/killed due to an issue we immediately pause Roleplay (we notify over our faction chat for the officers who aren't directly on the scene so they can stop where they are) and if needed we wait for staff members to come. 

This, however, shouldn't just be a thing only when the police is present in the situation, everyone should do that. Glitches, random kicks, and crashes can happen for no reason at random times, people should be aware of that and shouldn't use it as a way to gain an advantage over players, who are victims of said glitches/random kicks/crashes.

Back to my personal opinion, I am not saying that this is a bad idea, not at all, the only reason for me not to 100% agree with you is due to the simple fact that I am sure people will find a way to abuse it.

There is absolutely no situation in which non-staff should be able to forcefully pause roleplay scenarios, due to the simple fact that there is no need for it, and if there is a need that everyone on scene agrees to, it can be paused by agreement.

Using your example of desync killing you and someone taking advantage of it, even if you were able to forcefully pause it, what would that do? You still need to wait for a moderator+ to revive you, and only if you have evidence of it being due to desync.

There are countless situations in which players wrongfully refuse to roleplay and say "wait for admin", and it stalls roleplay and makes the entire situation unpleasant for everyone involved. At the moment most of the population understands that it's wrong to do that, blurring that line will transform the vast majority of RP situations into OOC situations.

Record your gameplay, save your evidence and take it to the forums. 

big -1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I can get behind the idea, however! I feel like the potential for abuse/misuse is high!

To give you an example of what I mean, let's use one of the situation I described above!

You are in the middle of a high speed chase! You've just stolen 5k and some drugs from a rival gang! You're barreling down Blaine County doing 175 and wham! Desync! You hit an invisible object in the middle of the road! Or your car glitches out and decides to become Jesus!

For all purposes, you 'could' have met up with your crew and taken on the other gang, you 'could' have passed a cop that may have joined in on the fray and made things much harder for for the rival gang to intercept, giving you some time to escape with proper planning! Buuuut~

That didn't happen. The rival gang immediately catches up with you despite seeing you unfortunate accident and steals your goods back from you! And more!

Personally I feel like this is a difficult decision to make here, do you try to explain briefly OOCly to the gang what happened in hopes they'll agree with you, wait for a staff to resolve the issue, then continue the high speed chase roleplay after going OOC for a bit?

What if one of those members genuinely wants to take advantage if the situation anyhow and won't agree to pause the roleplay? How could you tell even? I'd like to believe this would NEVER happen but given the influx of improper role players I'd say its quite reasonable that it might. 

I think its okay that you should be able to type in /command to go OOC and wait for an admin after filing a report as long as you're solely by yourself and need assistance.

Doing so during a large RP under various different circumstances could potentially be difficult and tricky however!

What are your thoughts?

I once disconnected after stabbing someone to death, i reset the rp to the point where i stabbed the guy and roleplay resumed

+1468274[274972-04

Big -1, agree with below.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:47 PM, alexalex303 said:

There is absolutely no situation in which non-staff should be able to forcefully pause roleplay scenarios, due to the simple fact that there is no need for it, and if there is a need that everyone on scene agrees to, it can be paused by agreement.

Using your example of desync killing you and someone taking advantage of it, even if you were able to forcefully pause it, what would that do? You still need to wait for a moderator+ to revive you, and only if you have evidence of it being due to desync.

There are countless situations in which players wrongfully refuse to roleplay and say "wait for admin", and it stalls roleplay and makes the entire situation unpleasant for everyone involved. At the moment most of the population understands that it's wrong to do that, blurring that line will transform the vast majority of RP situations into OOC situations.

Record your gameplay, save your evidence and take it to the forums. 

big -1

Hello,

(most) Players in the community are adults, and can work together as adults. If you need to go AFK for a minute or two to deal with something out-of-game, pop a message in OOC chat asking if it's ok to go AFK for a minute or two and work with the other players. Common courtesy from player to player can go a long way, and a lot of players are very understanding of that - just remember, we're all gamers at the end of the day!

As for a situation where a rulebreak may be present, or if something is not going the way you expected, you should create a report for a staff member to assist. You cannot pause your own roleplay in that sense.

Archived.