AtlasOLimbo

Dwindling Player Counts

As far as I can tell, player counts are at the lowest they've been in a long, long time. My personal opinion that this is from the perceived inattention from the two developers we have at the moment. I've said it before and I will say it again, the current developers either need to dedicate more of their time to the server or we need more developers.

A consistent stream of even small updates makes people hopeful they're heard and can rely on an evergrowing, everchanging server to play on.

• NAY 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

Development will not aid a mentality problem; updates should not be the reason why you're on a roleplay server, they will never be able to put up enough updates to satisfy script-oriented people. Make your own fun, preferably with friends and you will not need updates to enjoy your time here.

I frequently roleplay to the best of my ability on a daily basis. It becomes increasingly difficult with a dwindling playerbase. "Script-oriented people" makes it sound like we shouldn't expect any script support in a video game. Especially a lighter RP server like Eclipse compared to some others where money is acquired typically through senseless grinding.

If there was ways to acquire money through purely roleplay, I'd be all for it. Sadly there is no such system in place. Bit of a tangent, but. I hope you get the point!

What Bala said tbh, Player count lowers over the holiday period Nov-Dec-Jan and then picks up February and starts ramping up in March April. 
It's been like that pretty consistently for about 3 years now that I've seen.

But I mean, we're at like 3pm on a Thursday and we still have 144 players right now and double+ that at peak times. I don't think that's bad at all. 

I do agree personally that a more consistent stream of smaller updates is better, and was very well received when that was done last year, the push from the criminal community has meant that several large updates have been coming and are still coming. Which is absolutely fine, but no matter what scale the updates are and the frequency it will never be enough to satisfy everyone.

• Like 1
  • YAY 1

11 hours ago, AtlasOLimbo said:

I frequently roleplay to the best of my ability on a daily basis. It becomes increasingly difficult with a dwindling playerbase. "Script-oriented people" makes it sound like we shouldn't expect any script support in a video game. Especially a lighter RP server like Eclipse compared to some others where money is acquired typically through senseless grinding.

If there was ways to acquire money through purely roleplay, I'd be all for it. Sadly there is no such system in place. Bit of a tangent, but. I hope you get the point!

This is a lack of creativity, You can find ways to make money through RP.

On my crim, I extorted mulitple players for things that mattered to them icly such as jobs etc. It just takes creativity. I saw the other day someone had a competition for whoever stayed in the RV the longest, you have a platform to do mostly whatever you want. The rules are a bit grey at times, but endless possibilities. 

Coming up with updates regularly is hard let's not forget that, but I think update teasers (like weapon and drug updates) should be given when it's almost finished so players don't need to wait 6 months just to get an update that it's been delayed. I also think that it would be awesome if voting for updates would be a thing. The community would vote for what they want the most if there are couple of updates going on or planned.

What I have noticed over the past 7 years here is the clash between Heavy RP Gangs/Players and Clapper Gangs/Players. 

And this isn't just exclusive to Illegal Gangs or Chars, but across the board to all players and factions.

I have seen several times where the server had a heavy influx of Heavy RPers join and man...was the RP fun as heck! Immersive, fun, detailed, proper, etc. And then you have those times where there is an influx of people who just want to play GTAO but with some RP mixed in. These groups tend to clash hard as their RP experience level and expectations are complete opposites. It also doesn't help that when the latter influx comes in, people tend to stop playing for RP and start playing for the Ws. (IE Report Wars between gangs).

I have always been an advocate for HeavyRP standards, or wanting RP in general, as this is why I joined the server in the first place. But when you get those who just want to win win win? It can really mess with the motivation to play sometimes.

I think another issue is that people just burn themselves out on trying to make money by working themselves to death in-game. While I get money is crucial to your survival, you are not limited to just working the scripted jobs to make money. You can most definitely RP and make money at the same time. I have always found a way to kind of incorporate Roleplay into making money from other means, and I find it a good way to kinda shake off that burnout.

Edited by Nubbsauce
  • Upvote 1