HobGoblin

Offline Jail Time

+1 

The way DOC is set up, it's not only an OOC punishment for IC actions, it's also designed to punish IC RP within DOC. Part of that is inherent due to the kind of RP DOC facilitates. But for as much guidance Kourtney gives on the role-play at DOC, it falls pathetically short in actuality. And it's sad that the blame continually gets deflected onto the player base for the failures at DOC when script support is nearly non-existent, And Alt RP attempted to work around the lack of script support is denied or ignored almost every time. 

So when people tell you that the burden of good RP bears on the individual in DOC, it's just laughable. Lol literally one of the Warden's recommended ways to RP includes watching TV while tabbing out to watch Netflix. inb4 YoU cAn sCrEeNsHaRe!  

It seems to me that DOC is engineered to kill RP so DOC can ignore inmates and go ride around and engage the more enjoyable aspects of their job. Then inevitably, due to the minimal presence on the cell block, LSSD usually has to come clean up an absurdly violent mess because inmates are ridiculously bored. 

I experienced this a lot, and even documented the issue here: 

I'm not saying that the prison break rule is unnecessary, because I do believe the kind of RP or backstory required to realistically escape is lengthy and complex. But the red tape around everything in DOC has many players feeling like it's the same as admin jail, watching their every word or move because the trust has degraded so severely at DOC. I frequently see reports in or around DOC that highlight the endemic issue of play to win RP, and more specifically, report to win RP. 

And interestingly enough, it's not limited to OOC when it comes to causing issues. When I audited county crime at LSSD, the majority of crimes committed happened at DOC. 

LSSD_Arrest_Audit_Page_8.png?width=1111&

When you have an ICly created cycle of crime that starts and ends at DOC, combined with an OOCly influenced RP environment, you get a recipe for disaster and disaster seems to be an appropriate adjective for the state of DOC RP.

You can blame anyone and everyone, but we can't even agree on the simple fact that it's unsatisfactory and unsustainable. So maybe we deserve it, but if you're like me, you'll continue searching and speaking truth. 

It's about time I give my 2 cents to this discussion.

I don't believe that implementing this would kill the faction however it would greatly reduce the amount of RP that DOC and inmates can do. There are often hours when there are no inmates already late at evening or early in the day so we'd see a lot less people. There are obviously a lot of mentions here that there is no RP in DOC however DOC is what you make of it. We have literally no script interactions that we can do to create RP so it's a case of making up whatever we can to do. We have to do this 24/7 so obviously some of the time we need to step away and do other chill things however we are always open for more active RP if inmates wish to also provide it. It isn't 100% on DOC to make DOC an enjoyable place, we're just the catalysts for the inmates to RP.

There are many many things we have tried in the past that have all failed, such as the prison schedule. Having a set timetable where you move inmates from the yard to the showers to the cells every 15 minutes isn't feasible if we need to have staff processing, training to get their promotions or dealing with the 60th fight of the day. We're happy to try other things to do if anyone ever has any ideas!

With that, DOC can actively reduce time and increase time based on any IC behaviour. You can turn up at DOC with 2 hours of time and 5k fines. Even if you mine, you can make all of that money back during you sentence. If you want to fight other inmates, you're gonna get more time and lose money. If you want to provide positive RP, do chores then we can reward you with reduced time via stamps. There are plenty of script and RP opportunities to RP in DOC how you want, within reason.

Moving on from that, there have also been some mentions that the rules are too strict in DOC however the rules are the same everywhere. DM is treated the same, robbery is treated the same. The only rules that apply differently is NLR due to the small size of the prison and the fact that there's no script way to treat inmates. I actively push faction members to report rulebreaks, however small, as I want to improve the prison and the server environment as a whole. People don't know what they're doing wrong unless they're told about it.

We're all in agreement that DOC requires script support, however minimal. I have been a part of the DOC now for almost 3 years and in this time, the only change that has been implemented was the new prison. Knowing this, I have actively pushed IC for new things that doesn't require script support. 

We love to hear feedback about DOC, with suggestions and things we could change or implement. Here's our section for RP feedback: https://gov.eclipse-rp.net/viewtopic.php?p=446516#p446516

You can also DM me on discord, Chunder#6108

There are some amazing suggestions in this thread, some of which I haven't seen before. It has been mentioned a few times already but here's my suggestion thread:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not read everything, but how about a simple compromise, so not sure if someone's mentioned this.

Yes, obviously there needs to be more to do in DOC, and there are a few things, but not everyone enjoys doing it.

1. Make it easier to work your way out of prison, when/if you work do in prison. Not saying major adjustments/freebies, but offer things like RND bonuses and work time multipliers, harder you work, the more you're rewarded.
  2. Allow offline 'get out of jail' with a 0.5 multiplier (if you are jailed for 1 hour, it'll take 2 hours offline)
    • This could even have the added benefit of promoting playing a different character, and using your playtime wisely instead of getting stuck in jail.
  3. Add more work items, and allow roadside/roadwork activities and tie it to a DOC bus.
    • This would help get DOC and good behavior Prisoners out and about a little more.

@Chunder, feel free to add these to your thread and quote this post. " https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/topic/119008-offline-jail-time/?do=findComment&comment=412575 "

Edited by Xoza
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

The current DOC does not respect player time. ''Don't do the crime if you can't do the crime'' is the worst line you can say in a RP server. DOC is underdeveloped and 100% reliant on player interaction for a enjoyable experience. If you get arrested during the ''dead hours'' of the server you will be lucky to find a single guard or other inmate inside say good bye to even having a chance at an enjoyable experience. 

• polarcop 1

I don't think there should be a way to serve jail while offline at all, because that does not promote RP or player interaction in the community and that's why we're here.

IMO, the only acceptable solution for a character serving jail time while not logged in is that when the user is logged in and playing on a different character, so any other character that user has created that is currently in jail serves their time at something like a 0.1x or 0.2x multiplier. This allows players to provide positive RP to the community on different characters while not feeling OOC'ly punished however the extremely low multiplier prevents players from using this feature as a means to reliably circumvent long jail timers but simply a way to chip away at it.

Making DOC enjoyable is a different discussion IMO.

• Upvote 2

I think offline jail time is a great idea. It creates a situation where individuals who want to provide good quality roleplay to DOC can stay on and create RP for DOC, and individuals who simply want to DM and spam jump at the cell door to glitch out can log off. However, I have a caveat. Sentences should be MUCH longer. A murder charge is an hour and a half. I watched a criminal shoot an officer the other day because he was mad about not being let through a door in a hostage situation. Murder of a government employee, a charge that would either be the death sentence or life in prison. Whatever! Just an hour and a half, right? Your character is NOT affected by DOC time in any capacity, it's simply a few hours out of commission.

If a charge like murder was extended to a week in DOC (which could be spent offline) much better RP would result. First of all, since you have a long sentence in DOC you can properly roleplay life locked up, long-term jail gangs could form, a jail hierarchy could form, and much better RP could occur with script assistance. Secondarily, we would not have the absolutely insane murder rates which we currently have. I know everyone loves going to labs and getting into shootouts, but tell me why it makes any sense for criminal organizations to be putting away bodies at such a rate while basically remaining unaffected. Third, it would create an actual impact to criminal organizations when being caught by police. If your gang leader catches a murder charge, your gang is ACTUALLY affected, not just missing 1 body for a shootout. Charges should ACTUALLY affect roleplay, and they currently do not.

So yeah, offline jail time sounds great, but extend the time of every charge DRASTICALLY. Make a gun charge a day in DOC. Make a murder charge a week.

• dead 5

38 minutes ago, ComradeCorbyn said:

So yeah, offline jail time sounds great, but extend the time of every charge DRASTICALLY. Make a gun charge a day in DOC. Make a murder charge a week.

Did you forget that this is a game? A day for one charge is crazy, nevermind a whole week for one charge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HobGoblin said:

Did you forget that this is a game? A day for one charge is crazy, nevermind a whole week for one charge.

If someone does not want to engage in DOC RP they have 3 other character slots by default. The point is that serious charges should seriously impact a character's contribution to the outside world.

Edited by ComradeCorbyn
  • dead 2

1 minute ago, ComradeCorbyn said:

If someone does not want to engage in DOC RP they have 3 other character slots by default. The point is that serious charges should seriously impact a character's contribution to the outside world.

It's not about engaging in DOC RP. There is no hiding that DOC needs changing with the current scripts, until changes happen DOC is currently an OOC punishment more than an IC punishment. Adding a week long charge just makes the punishments more OOC.

I thought of writing down an entire list of pros to cons and my justifications for my beliefs, but honestly I think I can sum it up pretty quickly.

So before I get the typical anti-cop player response; I've been here since 2018 and started out as a crim, and I still play crim every now and then, but I can't play daily anymore due to the disgustingly toxic and competitive side of it.

The majority of crims just care about clapping each-other & police and optimizing their game to do it the best on a roleplay server, so all this would do would make it so they bait DM rights and then lose and then goto DOC and sleep before waking up to rinse and repeat it the next day. (The majority of us don't just want shootouts all the time, we wanna deal with public disturbances and regular nuisance type crime sometimes.)

I'm not saying I don't understand the pain of going to DOC for hours, I hated it on my crim. It was 50/50 whether I enjoyed myself for a little while or if I was miserable and just dealing with new players earraping and dming eachother. It got to the point I would just get locked in my cell, do /vol proximity 0 and watch Netflix on my other monitor. But my advice to you, is stop doing 20 man convoys in neon red vehicles with heavies on your back and have some tact.

TL:DR - Criminal RP standards haven't warranted the reward of any sort of quality of life changes to DOC timers, so I am pretty indifferent to the idea of this change.

+1;
I believe this is a good Idea just solely based on the fact that If you do anything that isn't even that crazy on the criminal illegal scale such as robbing an ATM or Grand Theft Auto, you get 2-3 Hours in DOC - Most people only have 2-3 Hours to play, which already ins't much time to Roleplay with. So when you spend the 1st 30 minutes doing something then go to jail for the rest of your time, It takes the fun out of it. I personally think they either have to do this, make an EASIER way to get out of jail faster or make jail time less extreme ( because this jail time is VERY extreme ) 

44 minutes ago, LucasMadrazo said:

+1;
I believe this is a good Idea just solely based on the fact that If you do anything that isn't even that crazy on the criminal illegal scale such as robbing an ATM or Grand Theft Auto, you get 2-3 Hours in DOC - Most people only have 2-3 Hours to play, which already ins't much time to Roleplay with. So when you spend the 1st 30 minutes doing something then go to jail for the rest of your time, It takes the fun out of it. I personally think they either have to do this, make an EASIER way to get out of jail faster or make jail time less extreme ( because this jail time is VERY extreme ) 

Robbing an ATM is 30 minute charge, if you FINISH it, for hitting the ATM it's Vandalism, and taking the cash is petty theft. that is 30 minutes. You get 2-3 hours because you decide to evade over a $500 citation. Lmao.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.