Bala

The use of derogatory slurs in VOIP

I mean, in my previous post I made this point.

Some people call people another word for a child molester because its just part of the vocabulary of their character. Most of the time it's in jest.

Like I previously stated, i grew up using phrases like "don't be g*y". Which when used meant don't be silly or ridiculous. Its not that being that meant you were, it's just what was said.

People use the n word because its part of their culture and the environment they grew up in.

It would be completely different if someone said

"Get smoked you dirty f****t" compared to "get smoked f"g"

I feel like people look into these statements too much.

I would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings and would hope if I did by accident, that person would have the sense to tell me so that I could rectify it.

1 hour ago, Hayate said:

the problem is that this rule clearly doesnt work. if the word was so underused like you are claiming, we wouldnt have this thread. 

ive not been here for a long time, yet the amount of times i have heard the use of slurs is unbeaten by any other server or game (with maybe the exception of rust). Also, this doesnt fix the problem of that word tainting the reputation of this server when you could just not say the word.

"words are words" is something usually said by someone clearly not targeted by these words and/or without a past of being a target of harrassment.

I have been called all the words mentioned. Just because I chose not to let them affect me does not mean it does not happen.

7 hours ago, arcangel said:

I mean, in my previous post I made this point.

Some people call people another word for a child molester because its just part of the vocabulary of their character. Most of the time it's in jest.

Like I previously stated, i grew up using phrases like "don't be g*y". Which when used meant don't be silly or ridiculous. Its not that being that meant you were, it's just what was said.

People use the n word because its part of their culture and the environment they grew up in.

It would be completely different if someone said

"Get smoked you dirty f****t" compared to "get smoked f"g"

I feel like people look into these statements too much.

I would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings and would hope if I did by accident, that person would have the sense to tell me so that I could rectify it.

Right, you might not intentionally do it. But then what about Johnny Jackass doing it? 
Maybe Johnny stops when he's asked to, maybe he continues, maybe he apologises.

But if you're not willing to take that kind of abuse, it's the end of the server for you, which is a damn shame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But there is a biiiiiiigggg difference in hearing and seeing these words when they are personally used against you in your personal life. 

N****r is an extremely loaded word and we are not a responsible player-base that has enough character development to hide behind the excuse that it's the character saying it and we should be keeping it in-character. Same goes with someone getting called a t**p or a t****y because they've chosen to play a feminine character with a masculine sounding voice. 

I don't actually know why I expected any different when I started this thread to be honest, it's hard enough trying to get people to see the other sides of criminal v. cop, why did I assume that people would respond sympathetically to how this can effect other players.

I hope that those that get subjected to this kind of bullshit can appreciate that some of us do value your inclusion in the community and would happily trade a few slurs for you being able to enjoy your time here.

That'll do me for this thread I think.
Enjoy your "free" speech x

• Like 1
  • hand 1

16 minutes ago, Bala said:

Right, you might not intentionally do it. But then what about Johnny Jackass doing it? 
Maybe Johnny stops when he's asked to, maybe he continues, maybe he apologises.

But if you're not willing to take that kind of abuse, it's the end of the server for you, which is a damn shame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But there is a biiiiiiigggg difference in hearing and seeing these words when they are personally used against you in your personal life. 

N****r is an extremely loaded word and we are not a responsible player-base that has enough character development to hide behind the excuse that it's the character saying it and we should be keeping it in-character. Same goes with someone getting called a t**p or a t****y because they've chosen to play a feminine character with a masculine sounding voice. 

I don't actually know why I expected any different when I started this thread to be honest, it's hard enough trying to get people to see the other sides of criminal v. cop, why did I assume that people would respond sympathetically to how this can effect other players.

I hope that those that get subjected to this kind of bullshit can appreciate that some of us do value your inclusion in the community and would happily trade a few slurs for you being able to enjoy your time here.

That'll do me for this thread I think.
Enjoy your "free" speech x

I appreciate everything you attempted with this thread. It's sad to see "counterarguments" water down to nothing more than "deal with it, snowflake", "rated M for a reason duh" and "I say these things because I was raised like that." we should strive to be better than we are, not be ignorant to the feelings of groups that already catch enough flack as it is. I personally used slurs, vicious ones, for most of my teenage years, but it took me less than a year to phase them out of my vocab. completely, it's shocking how easy it is when you try. Thank you Bala. You're an inspiration.

• Like 1